PDA

View Full Version : Wagner Holds Green-White Scrimmage

Seahawks Fan
August 24th, 2007, 06:50 AM
http://wagnerathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082307aab.html

Seahawks Hold Green-White Scrimmage

Offense Stands Out in Annual Scrimmage

Aug. 23, 2007

Staten Island, NY - Wagner College's annual Green-White scrimmage featured plenty of offensive fireworks as the Seahawks point towards their season opener at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, August 31 at Western Connecticut State.

Senior running back Jason Butler (Syracuse, NY/ Henninger HS), a Second-Team All-Northeast Conference (NEC) selection in 2006 and an All-NEC preseason choice this year, demonstrated his speed and elusiveness, bursting free on an 84-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and had another 80-plus yard TD return that was nullified by penalty.

Junior quarterback Matt Abbey (La Canada HS/ St. Francis HS) was sharp throughout, connecting on a 40-yard TD aerial to sophomore wide receiver Lon Woods (St. Petersburg, FL/ J.P. Taravella) and a 15-yard TD strike to senior wide receiver Joe Kinard (Kingston, NY/ Kingston HS). The backfield tandem of Butler and junior Rodney Davis (Bristol, PA / Neshaminy HS) appeared to be in regular season form, with each demonstrating a terrific blend of balance and elusiveness.

Another highlight on this sun-splashed afternoon at Wagner Stadium was the prolific kicking display turned in by 2006 All-NEC kicker Piotr Czech (Keyport, NJ/ Keyport HS). A 2007 NEC preseason choice, Czech nailed a pair of 52-yard field goals, with each clearing the uprights with plenty of room to spare.

"We did some good things out there today," said Wagner head coach Walt Hameline, on the eve of his 27th season at the helm of the Seahawk program. "We're a bit banged up in certain spots right now and have an awful lot of work to do before the opener but there were some definite positives, particularly in the offensive skill area."

Following a pair of road games to open the season, the Seahawks will play their home opener at Wagner Stadium on Sept. 15, a Homecoming affair vs. Marist.

Seahawks Fan
August 24th, 2007, 07:36 AM
http://www.silive.com/colleges/advance/wagner/index.ssf?/base/Sports/118795593373030.xml&coll=1

Veteran kicker gives Wagner a big leg up
Intrasquad scrimmage shows Czech's value as a two-way weapon

By JACK MINOGUE
ADVANCE STAFF WRITER

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- O-o-o-h-h!

The crowd reacted when Piotr Czech's 42-yard field goal attempt hit the left upright about three feet from the top early in Wagner College's annual Green and White Intrasquad Scrimmage yesterday.

The 6-foot-5 senior out of Keyport (N.J.) HS immediately atoned by turning his next kick, also a 42-yarder, into a chip shot, and then nailing a pair of 52-yarders, the first with eight yards to spare.

Hardly surprising since last season Czech set and then tied the Northeast Conference record with a pair of 54-yarders which are certain to attract interest from NFL types this season.

Czech readily admitted he's "thinking about the next level, and in the off-season, I watched film of NFL kickers."

And? "Everyone is pretty much the same, but I made a couple of minor adjustments. They might have helped."

Czech doesn't see the possibility of an opportunity to play in the NFL as a distraction.

"It's not extra pressure," he insisted. "It's an energy boost when I go through my kicking reps. It gives me drive ... keeps me going."

Maybe right to the NFL. ------

Wagner coach Walt Hameline regards Czech as the offense's best friend. Which is just how defensive coordinator Mark Collins regards the kicker/punter.

"You always want the touchdown," Hameline said, "but when can't, we can put Piotr in situations where he can give us points ... where we can put points on the board."

Collins called Czech "a huge weapon what with his kickoffs into the end zone and his high and long punts."

Kicking from the 30-yard line, rather than the 35, yesterday, Czech had two kicks into the end zone. Last season, he averaged 38.3 yards a punt and only 23 of his 67 punts were returned. He also had 21 punts downed inside the opposing team's 20 versus just eight punts into the end zone.

"Field position is so important," Collins continued. "So huge that Piotr becomes a major player for us." ------

NOTES: Jason Butler, last season's leading rusher with 735 yards, picked up where he left off with an 84-yard kickoff return and an 80-yard run which was nullified by a penalty ... QB Matt Abbey threw TD passes of 40 yards to Lon Woods and 15 yards to Joe Kinard.

Calif_Colonial
August 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Czech is an outstanding kicker and all around good athelete. I went back to Pittsburgh in 2005 and attemded the Wagner - RMU game. It was a great game and we just got by the Seahawks 38 to 30. Four touchdowns were scored in the 4th quarter. Two for each team. In that game a big momentum swing was when Czech dropped back to punt and faked it and ran for about 20 yards for a 1st down. His kicks get up high and clear the scrimmage line and are generally not blockable. He's a weapon.