PDA

View Full Version : Jerks at Vanderbilt

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Why are the people at Vanderbilt being such turds on approving the transfer of Quavian Lewis to App State? Looks like he'll miss playing this season because of them!!!xeyebrowx
I hope thy lose every freakin' game this season.

DTSpider
August 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM
Why are the people at Vanderbilt being such turds on approving the transfer of Quavian Lewis to App State? Looks like he'll miss playing this season because of them!!!xeyebrowx

All FCS fans should hope Vandy loses the first game of the season ;) Although, I wouldn't mind seeing Vandy go 11-1 with the one loss to UR, talk about making heads spin around the country.

GannonFan
August 23rd, 2007, 09:54 AM

Joe Flacco had his scholarship release from Pitt held up for a year, costing him a season at Delaware. Coach Wannesdadt was unhappy with him transferring because it cost him depth at the QB position so he took it out on the kid. He had to pay his way through school for a year before he was eligible to get a scholarship to UD (the former school can only hold up the release from a scholarship for a year). It happens.

Black Saturday
August 23rd, 2007, 09:58 AM

No longer will I pull for Vandy after this fiasco.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Can anybody post and article on what is going on?

Black Saturday
August 23rd, 2007, 10:30 AM
Sophomore Gary Tharrington is the lone returning starter on ASU's defensive front (photo courtesy of Keith Cline)

Holding the Line: Mountaineers Need to Fill Some Holes on Defense
by Tommy Bowman (Winston-Salem Journal)

August 23, 2007 - Appalachian State’s biggest question mark heading into this season is its defensive line, where three of four starters were lost from a team that won a second straight NCAA Football Championship Subdivision national title.

Mark Speir, the Mountaineers’ defensive-line coach, thinks some answers have been found as preparation for the Sept. 1 season opener at Michigan is under way this week.

Gary Tharrington, the lone returning starter on the defensive line, will start at end along with fellow sophomore Tony Robertson. Sophomore Anthony Williams and freshman Bobby Bozzo will start at tackles.

Tim Washington, a junior transfer from LSU, will be in the rotation at end and sophomore Daniel Finnerty will be the top backup at tackle.

“If we can keep those front six healthy, I’m not concerned,” Speir said of a senior-less group of mostly sophomores and freshmen. “If we have injuries, that could change things. The other guys behind them are going to be good, but they’re not ready.”

One player who apparently won’t be a factor this season is Quavian Lewis, who transferred from Vanderbilt but hasn’t received clearance to play this season. Unless a final appeal for immediate eligibility is successful, Speir said that Lewis plans to attend classes this academic year and would be eligible next season with two seasons left to play.

Speir said that Tharrington, who started at end last season as a freshman along with Marques Murrell, a senior All-America, has performed like a veteran in preseason camp.

“He’s played through injuries, but he’s pushed through,” Speir said of the 6-1, 275-pound Tharrington, who had 7.5 sacks last season. “He’s playing very hard. When Gary does that, he’s hard to stop. If he plays like he’s practiced, he can be as good as we’ve had.”

Bozzo, a 6-3, 265-pound freshman from Waldwick, N.J., who played linebacker and nose guard in high school, has been impressive in camp.

“He’s strong, runs well and has great effort to go with it,” Speir said. “He makes some mistakes, he’s not the greatest technician, but he is so strong and plays the game the way it’s meant to be played. He’s chasing down running backs 20 yards down the field. You’ll see a defensive back and right behind him is No. 56 (Bozzo).”

Speir said that other players have fed off Bozzo’s energy, and that he more than held his own in a recent practice after being hit in the back by an offensive lineman, an incident that sparked a skirmish.

“He won the respect of the defense,” Speir said. “He showed he wasn’t some freshman who was just going to take whatever an upperclassman wanted to dish out.”

Williams (6-1, 285) and Robertson (6-2, 240) both played in 10 or more games last season but will start for the first time. Washington (6-3, 265), who is adjusting to a new system, could be a factor as he becomes more consistent. Finnerty (6-2, 250) saw limited action in seven games last season and Speir said has made considerable progress.

Two other linemen, sophomore end Justin Johnson and freshman tackle Gordy Witte, could also see some playing time. Johnson (5-11, 240) is a walk-on who Speir said has been solid. And he said that Witte (6-6, 285) has a lot of upside potential as he learns and develops.

Tommy Bowman can be reached at 727-7320 or at [email protected].

Maverick
August 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
I thought it was that he has not been cleared to play by ASU. Vandy can keep him from being on scholarship at ASU, but they cannot keep him from being eligible at ASU. If he was eligible when he left Vandy, he would very likely be eligible at ASU. If he left Vandy academically ineligible or for disciplinary reasons, then he would have to sit a year at ASU. I am not a Vandy fan, but why a player has not been cleared at the school he transferred to is a heck of a lot more complicated than what is being made out here.

Of course with the privacy issues, the specifics of why this player is not cleared will very likely never be released by the university. But Vandy releasing him for scholarship aid or not affects only his ability to get athletic aid from ASU. The other part of the release has to do with his eligibility status when he left Vandy. I have know of cases where a player doesn't take care of his grades in the spring since he is transferring and makes himself ineligible to play the next year even though he is going from FBS to FCS.

Apparently there is something more to this case as it appears that ASU is having to appeal to the NCAA. Sounds like some academic issues may be involved.

Golden Eagle
August 23rd, 2007, 10:31 AM
Vanderbilt had an issue like this with Tennessee State last season, I believe.

GannonFan
August 23rd, 2007, 10:36 AM
I thought it was that he has not been cleared to play by ASU. Vandy can keep him from being on scholarship at ASU, but they cannot keep him from being eligible at ASU. If he was eligible when he left Vandy, he would very likely be eligible at ASU. If he left Vandy academically ineligible or for disciplinary reasons, then he would have to sit a year at ASU. I am not a Vandy fan, but why a player has not been cleared at the school he transferred to is a heck of a lot more complicated than what is being made out here.

Of course with the privacy issues, the specifics of why this player is not cleared will very likely never be released by the university. But Vandy releasing him for scholarship aid or not affects only his ability to get athletic aid from ASU. The other part of the release has to do with his eligibility status when he left Vandy. I have know of cases where a player doesn't take care of his grades in the spring since he is transferring and makes himself ineligible to play the next year even though he is going from FBS to FCS.

Apparently there is something more to this case as it appears that ASU is having to appeal to the NCAA. Sounds like some academic issues may be involved.

I'm pretty sure that if a player is not released from a scholly that he is ineligible to play at another school until he's either released or has been at the new school for a year. xreadx

UncleSam
August 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
I thought it was that he has not been cleared to play by ASU. Vandy can keep him from being on scholarship at ASU, but they cannot keep him from being eligible at ASU.

I don't think that is accurate, in addition of having to pay his own way, Joe Flacco was not eligible in '05 at Delaware, because Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt would not realease him from the Pitt scholarship. Apparently you must have a 'realease', if not you can practice, but are not eligible to play.

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2007, 10:53 AM

Nope. At first it was an effort to get him to change his mind and stay. He has already been taking classes and practicing with the team. Looks like he will not get to play this year.
Bottom line, the only way for him to get to play this year is for Vandy to release him, immediately.

Of course with the privacy issues, the specifics of why this player is not cleared will very likely never be released by the university

Unless of course, he himself decides to tell.

bison137
August 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM

No. The school from which he is transferring has to grant a release or else the athlete must sit out a year. Part of the NCAA rule:

"If the student is transferring from a NCAA or NAIA member institution, the student’s previous institution shall certify in writing that it has no objection to the student’s being granted an exception to the transfer-residence requirement. If the student’s previous institution denies his or her request for the release, the institution shall inform the student-athlete in writing that he or she, upon request, shall be provided a hearing conducted by an institutional entity or committee outside of the athletics department (e.g., the office of student affairs; office of the dean of students; or a committee composed of the faculty athletics representative, student-athletes and nonathletics faculty/staff members). The institution shall have established reasonable procedures for promptly hearing such a request."

Although the athlete may have to sit out a year, I don't know if there is anything in the NCAA rules to prevent him from being given a scholarship for the year he must sit.

asu3peat
August 23rd, 2007, 11:47 AM
Lewis also hadn't played much as a redshirt freshman last season at Vanderbilt and told coach Bobby Johnson he wanted to transfer. Johnson called Moore, a longtime friend and former rival from Johnson's days as Furman's coach.

"We didn't want anyone to think there was any behind-the-back stuff," said Moore, who said Lewis also considered transferring to Chattanooga or Murray State. "Bobby told me what kind of a kid he is and I didn't need to hear anything else." charlotte observer 8/19/07

What doesn't make sense is that the Vandy coach contacted Coach Moore and told him about this kid. Why then would a coach withhold his release after helping to land him in another program?

youwouldno
August 23rd, 2007, 11:51 AM
Probably because Johnson isn't holding anything up. He's a stand up guy and clearly wants to help the player. Maybe there is a problem on the academic side.

gmoney55
August 23rd, 2007, 11:54 AM
Wasn't Tim Washingon a preseason All-America in one of the mags after never playing an FCS down? And now he's "in the rotation"

Saint3333
August 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
This past week I've read he's going back to Vandy in a Nashville paper to now the occurences in this article, not sure which to believe.

If Lewis does want to transfer it is really a shame for the kid and ASU.

He would have added much needed depth at DE.

I've not heard any issues about grades. He was accepted as a student into ASU without a problem and ASU much like many other schools have much higher restrictions on admissions than the NCAA minimums.

My feeling prior to todays article was that he was going back to Vandy and if Vandy is going to take the kid back I don't think it was an academic issue.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2007, 01:05 PM
Lewis also hadn't played much as a redshirt freshman last season at Vanderbilt and told coach Bobby Johnson he wanted to transfer. Johnson called Moore, a longtime friend and former rival from Johnson's days as Furman's coach.

"We didn't want anyone to think there was any behind-the-back stuff," said Moore, who said Lewis also considered transferring to Chattanooga or Murray State. "Bobby told me what kind of a kid he is and I didn't need to hear anything else." charlotte observer 8/19/07

What doesn't make sense is that the Vandy coach contacted Coach Moore and told him about this kid. Why then would a coach withhold his release after helping to land him in another program?

That is what surprised me. Other than being an asshole there is really no benefit holding this kind of thing up if the player really really wants to transfer.

That does not sound like Johnson.

asu3peat
August 23rd, 2007, 01:30 PM
That is what surprised me. Other than being an asshole there is really no benefit holding this kind of thing up if the player really really wants to transfer.

That does not sound like Johnson.

I agree, it just doesn't make sense this guy would call Moore to help Lewis out and then withhold a release. There has to be more to the story than what the public is being told. I guess we will wait and see. Hopefully they will get things straightened out and he can dress out this year. We could use his abilities to add to our depth.

SoCon48
August 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
Probably because Johnson isn't holding anything up. He's a stand up guy and clearly wants to help the player. Maybe there is a problem on the academic side.

Wrong.

Purple Knight
August 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
You don't think Bobby.... nah!

Lionsrking
August 23rd, 2007, 11:34 PM
Wasn't Tim Washingon a preseason All-America in one of the mags after never playing an FCS down? And now he's "in the rotation"

Not surprising that Tim Washington is struggling. He had problems at LSU and his physical tools never translated to the field. He had injury issues but even healthy, he just wasn't the player they thought he would be. Hope it works out for him though.

SoCon48
August 24th, 2007, 08:56 AM
None of the coaches have implied he was struggling. They remain quite high on him. In the rotation, that's basically where most transfers start out for J Moore. Don't worry, your hopes will likely come to fruition:

"Williams (6-1, 285) and Robertson (6-2, 240) both played in 10 or more games last season but will start for the first time. Washington (6-3, 265), who is adjusting to a new system, could be a factor as he becomes more consistent."

Keeper
August 25th, 2007, 04:21 AM
Sounds to me like the kid is uncertain of playing time.

From the Tennessean :
Thursday, 08/09/07
Lewis hints at returning in 2008

By MAURICE PATTON
Staff Writer

Vanderbilt Coach Bobby Johnson huddled with former Commodore Quavian Lewis following Wednesday's workout, but the coach would not answer questions regarding the ex-defensive end.

According to a press release distributed by Vanderbilt earlier this summer, Lewis left the team with intentions of transferring to a Division I Football Championship Series (formerly I-AA) program. However, Lewis indicated he has hopes of returning to the squad in 2008.
This past spring, Lewis moved from linebacker to defensive end and was expected to be in the rotation at that position before his departure.

Rick C
August 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I read the Vanderbilt message board last night and saw some information about Lewis. He was a star at the Vandy spring scrimmage. He had three sacks and pretty much dominated with his speed at defensive end. See the links below:

vucommodores.com: Offensive, Defensive Fireworks Plentiful at Vanderbilt Black & Gold Scrimmage Saturday (http://vucommodores.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/033107aab.html)

Plenty to like from Black & Gold Scrimmage (http://www.insidevandy.com/drupal/node/3919)

The rumor about Lewis leaving broke in early June. There is some speculation in the thread below about why he was leaving, but nothing definitive.

Football Players No Longer With the Team (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=189#s=189&f=1603&t=587846)

3 Players Officially Depart Vandy (http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?S=189#s=189&f=1603&t=642405)

Saint3333
August 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
Not sure what is going on with the kid. The only thing I know as of now is that he will not be starting with ASU this September. According to the student database Lewis is enrolled at ASU which leads me to believe he may play for ASU next year.

ASU brought in 7 DL freshman and the LSU transfer this year. ASU only had 4 d-lineman on the roster and all were sophomores. We could have really used Lewis at DE especially the first half of the season.

With or without Lewis the defensive line is going to be amazing in 2008, here's hoping they progress nicely in our drive for 3.

AppGirl
August 26th, 2007, 04:07 PM
None of the coaches have implied he was struggling. They remain quite high on him. In the rotation, that's basically where most transfers start out for J Moore. Don't worry, your hopes will likely come to fruition:

"Williams (6-1, 285) and Robertson (6-2, 240) both played in 10 or more games last season but will start for the first time. Washington (6-3, 265), who is adjusting to a new system, could be a factor as he becomes more consistent."

Williams said that he had never worked as hard at LSU as he was being made to work at ASU. Coach Moore said that they were disappointed in Williams we he first arrived, but things are getting better. He's making the adjustments and will get playing time.