PDA

View Full Version : Derek Miller has defensive mind-set

ShowMeBear2
August 22nd, 2007, 06:14 PM
Derek Miller has defensive mind-set

Bears' Derek Miller making - instead of avoiding - tackles.

Lyndal Scranton
News-Leader

There are times when Missouri State free safety Derek Miller hears the quarterback barking signals and it brings back memories.
"Every once in a while I miss it," Miller said of playing quarterback. "But defense is where I am and I'm really loving it."

Bottom line: It's all about being on the field. After sitting out games last year as a redshirt freshman, any position is fine.

Miller is expected to start when the Bears open Aug. 30 against Missouri-Rolla.

As one of the prizes in coach Terry Allen's first MSU recruiting class, Miller was classified as "an athlete."

A quarterback and defensive back at East High School in Olathe, Kan., the 6-foot-3 Miller spent last season on offense.

But with sophomores Matt Krapfl and Tyler Horner and freshman Cody Kirby at the position, it became clear that defense was Miller's quickest route to playing time.

A terrific performance in spring practice, which included interceptions in both scrimmages, put him in position to start.

"It looks like he's going to be a top-level safety in our league," defensive secondary coach Rob Bolks said.

Miller credits veteran teammates like senior cornerback Marcus Colbert with aiding his transition.

As the safety, Miller is responsible for recognizing offensive formations and calling defensive signals. Colbert doesn't mind deferring.

"He does a good job," Colbert said. "Experience. That's the only thing he's lacking."

Added Miller: "Each day is getting better and better. I think what really is happening for me is the guys around me are helping me out."

Bolks said Miller has the ideal mix of intelligence and athletic ability that a safety needs.

"He does a great job of recognizing formations and making the requisite adjustments," Bolks said. "He also has some explosiveness. He's kind of tall and lanky, but has good speed and strength.

"Lastly, he's got good vision and an ability to get a good jump on the ball as a center fielder."

Ironically, the player Miller replaces, Mike Radon, also was a converted quarterback. Radon was the Bears' co-player of the year as a senior.

Miller recalls watching Radon, among others, on game days last year and taking mental notes. More than anything, he yearned to play.

"Last year (standing) on the sideline, not being able to do anything on game day, was something new," Miller said. "So, I'm really excited about this year.

"You just have to have a lot of confidence in yourself and ... in players around you."

True no matter the position.