PDA

View Full Version : FBS Upsets

jmualex24
August 22nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Who has a legitimate chance to pull off an upset over our Div I-A counterparts? I think JMU could top UNC just like Richmond over Duke last year but I am a bit biased.

andy7171
August 22nd, 2007, 12:40 PM
Who has a legitimate chance to pull off an upset over our Div I-A counterparts? I think JMU could top UNC just like Richmond over Duke last year but I am a bit biased.

I'd agree with you last year, but this years UNC team is going to be different with Butch Davis. Plus its an aweful big task to ask of you QB in his first game as a starter.

Casey_Orourke
August 22nd, 2007, 12:47 PM
They say that Portland State has a legitimate shot against San Diego State, but that is why we play the game on the field and not the computer screen.

Cobblestone
August 22nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
Rhode Island over Army. I say this only because Army will have a head coach who will only be coaching his second game ever as a head coach. This combined with the fact that they haven't had a winning season in a few years, then again neither have we. If there is an FBS team we might have shot at beating it could be Army. Next season we'll play BC and I give us no chance at all against those guys.

Polywog
August 22nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Cal Poly over Idaho has to be one of the better bets for FCS - FBS matchups.

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 01:37 PM
I really think that Appy has a shot. I really don't think that they will have to do anything all that extraordinary to keep it close; just be mindful of their ball control, time of possession, don't give up more than 2 big plays, don't turn the football over, and most importantly, take the occasional calculated risk. Most people will say that this is easier said than done, but I don't think anyone in FCS is more capable of sticking to the fundamentals against a team like UM than ASU. If they accomplish the above, the score going into the last minutes of the 4th quarter will be within 7-10 points.

Another factor to consider is that UM is almost guaranteed to underestimate ASU going into the game. FSU did it against The Citadel a couple years ago, and El Cid played them to a 3 point game at halftime. The disparity between ASU and UM is not nearly as large as the disparity between El Cid and FSU was, and App State won't get worn down nearly as fast as The Citadel did. I don't care what the coaches are saying up in Ann Arbor, their players ARE going to underestimate ASU no matter how much the coaches try to prep them.

In short, keep it close in the first 3 quarters and then take some chances in the fourth, and we might ALL be on UM's fan message boards talking smack in September.

bcrawf
August 22nd, 2007, 01:55 PM
UNI over Iowa State... I think it will be pretty convincingly in fact...

bandl
August 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
HAHAHA!! Hilarious that the title of the thread was changed!!! xlolx xlolx I wonder if jmualex24 got a warning for using that dreaded
I-A??

HIU 93
August 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
SCSU over USAFA

PSUVikings
August 22nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
I really think that Appy has a shot. I really don't think that they will have to do anything all that extraordinary to keep it close; just be mindful of their ball control, time of possession, don't give up more than 2 big plays, don't turn the football over, and most importantly, take the occasional calculated risk. Most people will say that this is easier said than done, but I don't think anyone in FCS is more capable of sticking to the fundamentals against a team like UM than ASU. If they accomplish the above, the score going into the last minutes of the 4th quarter will be within 7-10 points.

Another factor to consider is that UM is almost guaranteed to underestimate ASU going into the game. FSU did it against The Citadel a couple years ago, and El Cid played them to a 3 point game at halftime. The disparity between ASU and UM is not nearly as large as the disparity between El Cid and FSU was, and App State won't get worn down nearly as fast as The Citadel did. I don't care what the coaches are saying up in Ann Arbor, their players ARE going to underestimate ASU no matter how much the coaches try to prep them.

In short, keep it close in the first 3 quarters and then take some chances in the fourth, and we might ALL be on UM's fan message boards talking smack in September.

It is very very very optimistic to think App State will beat Michigan. It will be over the moment App walks on the field.

BDKJMU
August 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
HAHAHA!! Hilarious that the title of the thread was changed!!! xlolx xlolx I wonder if jmualex24 got a warning for using that dreaded
I-A??

You got to be shi%%in me. If that was some uptight mod who changed that title line because someone put I-A in it instead of FCS then thats a load of BS. xcoffeex

lizrdgizrd
August 22nd, 2007, 02:05 PM
It is very very very optimistic to think App State will beat Michigan. It will be over the moment App walks on the field.

Yeah, our guys will just turn right back around and leave. xrolleyesx

PurpleNights
August 22nd, 2007, 02:40 PM
SCSU over USAFA

Don't see that happening....the AFA's usually pretty tough.

already123
August 23rd, 2007, 04:57 PM
I like PSUs chances over SDSU...also NAU has a shot over UofA but we'll see.

McNeese_beat
August 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
Can we start a thread of possible FBS upsets over FCS? Because I'm hesitant to put McNeese over Louisiana-Lafayette on this thread...few would consider it much of an upset.

Mountain Panther
August 23rd, 2007, 08:54 PM

I sure hope so.....I know some die hard Iowa State fans who DO NOT LIKE their new coach AT ALL (Gene Chizik, former assistant head coach and defensive coordinator on Texas’ 2005 national championship team). It's unclear how prepared this ISU team will be. QB Meyer-to-WR Blythe will be a huge threat, but they lost several key linemen and our line should have no problem with them.

GSUhooligan
August 23rd, 2007, 09:24 PM
Georgia Southern over Colorado State!

Mountain Panther
August 23rd, 2007, 09:35 PM
Georgia Southern over Colorado State!

Right on! I might go to that game. Fort Collins is a great town if anyone is thinking about making the trip.

Mountain Panther
August 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
I like PSUs chances over SDSU...also NAU has a shot over UofA but we'll see.

I keep hearing that this is going to be UofA's "breakout year" in the Pac 10. We'll see.

HI54UNI
August 23rd, 2007, 10:37 PM

I'll be there to watch it!

JALMOND
August 24th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Cal Poly over Idaho---good bet.
Davis over San Jose State---I'd take this one, too.
James Madison over N Carolina---give me this one.
Maine over UConn---I like this
McNeese over La-Lafayette---Yeah, this is good
New Hampshire over Marshall---This, too.
N Iowa over Iowa State---Take this one
Portland State over San Diego State---This'll be good
Richmond over Vanderbilt---Why not?
Sam Houston over Oklahoma State---Interesting
S Illinois over N Illinois---Yeah
Texas State over Baylor---Include this one

12 games that I think we all have a great chance at winning.

DetroitFlyer
August 24th, 2007, 08:28 AM
My team does not play FBS teams and only one team in the PFL is playing an FBS team this year, ( Morehead State / Western Kentucky ). So.... Has anyone published a complete list of the FBS/FCS games this year? If so, given the interest in this topic, maybe it could be "stickied" at the top of the forum?

leatherneck177
August 24th, 2007, 10:22 AM
I really think it could have been done between 2002-2003, but it may be a stretch to see WIU beat Illinois.

McNeese75
August 24th, 2007, 10:46 AM

Are you coming to LC for the game next week?

appst97
August 24th, 2007, 10:53 AM

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Za-KEE-uS
August 24th, 2007, 12:06 PM
^^please tell me that is a joke

brownbear
August 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM
My team does not play FBS teams and only one team in the PFL is playing an FBS team this year, ( Morehead State / Western Kentucky ). So.... Has anyone published a complete list of the FBS/FCS games this year? If so, given the interest in this topic, maybe it could be "stickied" at the top of the forum?

I think this is all of them: Please add if there are any more that I missed.

WEEK 1

SE Missouri State at Cincinnati
Murray State at Louisville
SE Louisiana at New Mexico State
Weber State at Boise State
Elon at South Florida
Northeastern at Northwestern
Appalachian State at Michigan
Youngstown State at Ohio State
Florida International at Penn State
Western Carolina at Alabama
South Carolina State at Air Force
Eastern Kentucky at Kentucky
Villanova at Maryland
James Madison at North Carolina
Gardner-Webb at Ohio
Richmond at Vanderbilt
Montana State at Texas A&M
Central Arkansas at Louisiana Tech
Tennessee-Martin at Southern Miss
Indiana State at Indiana
Nicholls State at Rice
Sacramento State at Fresno State
Northern Colorado at Hawaii

WEEK 2

Maine at Connecticut
Grambling State at Pittsburgh
Eastern Illinois at Purdue
Rhode Island at Army
Samford at Georgia Tech
Northern Arizona at Arizona
Cal Poly at Idaho
Northern Iowa at Iowa State
Western Illinois at Illinois
SE Louisiana at Kansas
Southern Illinois at Northern Illinois

WEEK 3

The Citadel at Wisconsin
Western Carolina at Georgia
Furman at Clemson
Norfolk State at Rutgers
Delaware State at Kent State
New Hampshire at Marshall
Wofford at NC State
Idaho State at Oregon State
Alcorn State at UAB
Texas State at Baylor
McNeese State at Louisiana-Lafayette
Missouri State at Kansas State
Jacksonville State at Memphis
Nicholls State at Nevada

WEEK 4

William & Mary at Virginia Tech
Illinois State at Missouri
Howard at Eastern Michigan
North Dakota State at Central Michigan
Portland State at San Diego State
Gardner-Webb at Mississippi State
SE Louisiana at Tulane
Central Connecticut State at Western Michigan
Sacramento State at New Mexico
Texas Southern at UTEP
Charleston Southern at Hawaii

WEEK 5

Massachusetts at Boston College
UC Davis at San Jose State
Northwestern State at Texas Tech
Sam Houston State at Oklahoma State
Arkansas – Pine Bluff at New Mexico State

WEEK 6

Chattanooga at Arkansas
Liberty at Toledo

WEEK 8

North Dakota State at Minnesota
Eastern Washington at BYU

WEEK 9

Delaware at Navy

WEEK 10

Northwestern State at Mississippi
Tennessee Tech at Auburn

WEEK 12

Georgia Southern at Colorado State

WEEK 13

Texas Southern at Houston

dpd
August 26th, 2007, 05:29 AM
There are 79 FCS vs FBS games scheduled for 2007, including five games where the FBS team is Western Kentucky. In brownbear's list above, the FIU vs Penn State game should not be included, and in addition to the WKU games the list is missing S. C. State at South Carolina (Week 3) and Grambling at UL-Monroe (Week 11). I have the listed all the games, organized by conference (with the BCS conferences listed first and the FBS independents listed last), rather than by date, at the following site:
http://dpdsdogs.com/ncaa/schedule/FCSvFBS2007.htm
Complete D1 Schedule information is maintained each year at the following site:
Division 1 Schedule Page (http://dpdsdogs.com/ncaa/schedule/index.html)

th0m
August 26th, 2007, 05:44 AM

Please tell me you've seen Animal House

th0m
August 26th, 2007, 06:36 AM
Also dpd, I saw on your website that you picked JMU to beat UNC by one. Nice! Just as a pointer, since I see you don't have lines out for the FBS-FCS games, 5dimes.com does have lines for those games as well.

dpd
August 26th, 2007, 08:27 AM
okay, thanks for the link, i knew fcs lines were posted somewhere - for now however i'll stick with just reporting the odds posted by las vegas hilton - and yes jmu over unc is my pick for this week's "upset"

GreatAppSt
August 26th, 2007, 12:08 PM
I like PSUs chances over SDSU.

It is very very very optimistic to think Portland State will beat SDSU. It will be over the moment PSU walks on the field.xsmhx

Mountain Panther
August 26th, 2007, 12:37 PM
It is very very very optimistic to think Portland State will beat SDSU. It will be over the moment PSU walks on the field.xsmhx

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

SDSU went 3-9 last year, and while I know it's difficult to do apples-to-apples comparisons, SDSU LOST to New Mexico in 2006, 41-14, the same New Mexico team that PSU BEAT earlier that year.

GreatAppSt
August 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

SDSU went 3-9 last year, and while I know it's difficult to do apples-to-apples comparisons, SDSU LOST to New Mexico in 2006, 41-14, the same New Mexico team that PSU BEAT earlier that year.

SDSU is FBS it's that simple. PSU doesn't have a chance.xbawlingx SDSU has much better quality of atheltes and more of them. Just getting the check, forfeiting, and going home would amount to the same result.xthumbsupx

M.P. checK your PM.

Mountain Panther
August 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
SDSU is FBS it's that simple. PSU doesn't have a chance.xbawlingx SDSU has much better quality of atheltes and more of them. Just getting the check, forfeiting, and going home would amount to the same result.xthumbsupx

Then you should do the same thing with Michigan, right?

GreatAppSt
August 26th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Probably will.:(

M.P. check your pmxthumbsupx

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 26th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Can we start a thread of possible FBS upsets over FCS? Because I'm hesitant to put McNeese over Louisiana-Lafayette on this thread...few would consider it much of an upset.

Upset????? Rumor around here is that McNeese is actually FAVORED!!!

Let's face it....McNeese vs ULL is going to end up like us vs ULM.....The Southland team is almost expected to win.

Frosty The Snowbuff
August 26th, 2007, 03:09 PM

BY GOD NO!!!!!! xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx

Okie State has WAY WAY too much firepower for SHSU to even keep it close (with and without Bomar)

As for the Texas State game vs Baylor xsmhx.....no comment.

james_lawfirm
August 26th, 2007, 03:11 PM

I think if you read the post you were replying to real carefully, you will see that Cid did not say App will beat Mich. He said they will be within 7 - 10 points in the 4th qtr.

And further, it will NOT be over until its over.

james_lawfirm
August 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Yes, it was.

He was referring to that fabulous line in the movie Animal House uttered by John Belushi when the whole frat was down after Dean Verner put them on "double secret probation" or something like that.

Or, at least he could have been referring to that. Perhaps it was completely original.

Mountain Panther
August 26th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Za-KEE-uS , are you a wee little man ?

Wee Man is a member? Cool.

http://wee-man.com/Slices/welcome1.jpg

CID1990
September 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM

Remember THIS?

CID1990
September 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM

Your crow is served.

CID1990
September 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
I think if you read the post you were replying to real carefully, you will see that Cid did not say App will beat Mich. He said they will be within 7 - 10 points in the 4th qtr.

And further, it will NOT be over until its over.

I will be taking personal checks now.

appst97
September 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM
Rumor has it....Jay Sutton is working on a home and home....

UNHWildCats
September 1st, 2007, 04:39 PM
i no longer think UNH will upset Marshall.

Not that I think UNH will lose, I just don't think it would be an upset.. I can't wait to see the line for the game....

CID1990
September 1st, 2007, 04:41 PM
NIce article on the UM game blog.... they even mention the Arkansas-The Citadel upset in 1992 as being the reigning biggest upset until today.

By the way, as I have said before, Clempson wrote us off their schedule after we beat Arkansas. Enjoy the limelight for now, because I imagine that your future FBS foes are already drawing up the paperwork to renege on your scheduled games with them.

Here's the blog:

http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/football

Old Cat Fan
September 1st, 2007, 08:22 PM
Remember THIS?

Great call CID1990 xnodx xnodx way to go App State xthumbsupx

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o183/OLDCATFAN/ncf_a_jackson_412.jpg

blukeys
September 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
CID 1990xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

GreatAppSt
September 2nd, 2007, 02:06 PM
How do you like me now!!! ?xlolx