PDA

View Full Version : Lamb quote on SoCon

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Bear in mind that Lamb came to Furman to play quarterback in 1980 or 81. He went on to be an assistant coach and then head coach. This is a guy that has been connected with Southern Conference football for 25 years. Kinda puts what he says into context, I think.

"We could have a better team than we did last year and not have as good a record," Lamb said. "The Southern Conference is as good as I've seen it. Appalachian State is Appalachian State. I think The Citadel is going to have the best team they've had in 10 years. Wofford will have its best team since they won it in 2003. Georgia Southern is going to bounce back. Elon and Chattanooga are going to be better. It's going to be a war each and every Saturday."

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
I saw that quote in the Charleston paper this morning, too. This is the third time I have seen him give props to The Citadel in as many months. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but every time he has mentioned it, he seemed more worried about El Cid than about Wofford.

No argument that this year anything can happen in the SoCon. It wouldn't even surprise me if Elon gets a couple upsets (as long as it ain't us).

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 01:30 PM
Bear in mind that Lamb came to Furman to play quarterback in 1980 or 81. He went on to be an assistant coach and then head coach. This is a guy that has been connected with Southern Conference football for 25 years. Kinda puts what he says into context, I think.

"We could have a better team than we did last year and not have as good a record," Lamb said. "The Southern Conference is as good as I've seen it. Appalachian State is Appalachian State. I think The Citadel is going to have the best team they've had in 10 years. Wofford will have its best team since they won it in 2003. Georgia Southern is going to bounce back. Elon and Chattanooga are going to be better. It's going to be a war each and every Saturday."

No offense to The Citadel, but the past 10 years go like this:

1998: 5-6
1999: 2-9
2000: 2-9
2001: 3-7
2002: 3-9
2003: 6-6
2004: 3-7
2005: 4-7
2006: 5-6

You can say that statement and be right even if they hover around .500. Again, no offense intended. xpeacex

ashram
August 22nd, 2007, 01:36 PM
Here's (http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/aug/22/championship_thoughts_abound_at_furman13627/) the article. It's a good one.

OL FU
August 22nd, 2007, 01:36 PM

2002: 3-9
2003: 6-6

You can say that statement and be right even if they hover around .500. Again, no offense intended. xpeacex

I interpreted his quote as follows: When the Citadel is .500 in 2007 again, it will still be a much better Citadel teamxthumbsupx

Kidding aside, it seems to be shaping up for as a fun tough season in the SoCon. While the final standings may look familiar (or they may be shaken up) all teams seem to be stepping up this season. xbowx

At least as far as we know now

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

2002: 3-92003: 6-6

Bobby Lamb is also likely doing the same thing I do.... losing track of time. If you go back to a period just a few years before the period he mentions, The Citadel had some better records. Talent wise, this is a better team than the 1992 team. They have less cohesion than the 92 team, but they have the ability and talent to be better.

All of those records came during a period when we were playing musical coaches. To be honest, it is a miracle that the numbers don't look much worse than that.

On a side note... during the 2002 3 - 9 season, guess who one of those 3 wins was against? I'll give you a hint: they were #15 in the country in FCS and they lost 24-20 in Charleston. Again, maybe that's what Bobby Lamb is on about. Oh... and no offense intended. xsmiley_wix

asu70
August 22nd, 2007, 02:48 PM
I saw that quote in the Charleston paper this morning, too. This is the third time I have seen him give props to The Citadel in as many months. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but every time he has mentioned it, he seemed more worried about El Cid than about Wofford.

No argument that this year anything can happen in the SoCon. It wouldn't even surprise me if Elon gets a couple upsets (as long as it ain't us).

Jerry Moore has said that The Citadel will be very good this year and he usually knows what he's talking about. If Hatcher can get all that talent at GSU on the same page, they will be in the hunt. IMHO, I think FU is a top five FCS team if they can stay away from the injury bugs with ASU being in the same category. Wofford will be tough with Elon, UC, and WCU pulling off a few upsets during the year.

Bud2003
August 22nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
On a side note... during the 2002 3 - 9 season, guess who one of those 3 wins was against? I'll give you a hint: they were #15 in the country in FCS and they lost 24-20 in Charleston. Again, maybe that's what Bobby Lamb is on about. Oh... and no offense intended. xsmiley_wix

Don't forget that 90 yard, 8 and a half minute drive we put together to take that go ahead 24-20 lead!

OL FU
August 22nd, 2007, 03:09 PM
Don't forget that 90 yard, 8 and a half minute drive we put together to take that go ahead 24-20 lead!

No offense taken. I mean after all those pleasant memories are few and far betweenxnodx xsmiley_wix

Go...gate
August 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM
Bobby Lamb is also likely doing the same thing I do.... losing track of time. If you go back to a period just a few years before the period he mentions, The Citadel had some better records. Talent wise, this is a better team than the 1992 team. They have less cohesion than the 92 team, but they have the ability and talent to be better.

All of those records came during a period when we were playing musical coaches. To be honest, it is a miracle that the numbers don't look much worse than that.

Worth remembering as well that The Citadel has played some very tough schedukes OOC in that time as well, so a 3-4-5 win season may be deceptive.

chattanoogamocs
August 22nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
It is weird, because when you compare the Citadel and Chattanooga (two teams that struggle record-wise) my first thought is that the Bulldogs seem to consistently be able to keep it closer (more competitive) with all the SoCon teams, including the Big 3, where the Mocs are way up and down (playing one game tough and then losing big the next).

I think this ability to keep it close and put a scare into just about anyone they play is why people (and coaches) fear and respect the Citadel (much more than they do the Chattanooga). Just like it's Bulldog mascot, you are never sure when they will bite ya. The Citadel might not be great year in year out, but they are discplined and consistent.

The irony is, if I read my media guide correctly, Chattanooga has won 6 of the last 9 with the Citadel...and in typical Citadel fashion, 6 of those games were decided by a TD or less.

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
No offense taken. I mean after all those pleasant memories are few and far betweenxnodx xsmiley_wix

Whoa Nellie! OL FU.... I wasn't picking on you.....

The team I was referring to was none other than:

DELAWARE. xrulesx

OL FU
August 22nd, 2007, 03:30 PM

DELAWARE. xrulesx

Oh:o :D

xthumbsupx

Yeah I was thinking you beat us the next year

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM

NOW I see from my previous post why it looked like I was referring to Furman. What I should have said was that maybe Bobby Lamb was looking a little more to The Citadel than Wofford was because Furman plays in Charleston and Wofford plays in Greenville this year.

BTW... those pleasant memories are only few and far between when we play away!

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 03:40 PM

DELAWARE. xrulesx

He, no offense taken - heck, we weren't very good in 2002, that's what it means to be .500. But focus on that win all you want, you kinda have to when the 4 game series went 3-1 to Delaware and you got outscored 125-47 in those 4 games. Ah, memories. xpeacex

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
Worth remembering as well that The Citadel has played some very tough schedukes OOC in that time as well, so a 3-4-5 win season may be deceptive.

Our OOC schedule for the last few years has been good for 2 in the loss column, that's for sure. Of course, we'll see how good that theory holds when our OOC schedule starts moving away from 2 BCS games to 1 BCS/1 OOC FCS. I think it is next year that we start a home and home series with Princeton.

This year, we just play Wisconsin, and our other two OOC games are VMI and ....... Webber International.xwhistlex

walliver
August 22nd, 2007, 03:41 PM
I think he's just preparing Furman fans for an 0-7 conference record.:D

I'm surprised he didn't mention how good PC will be this year.

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
He, no offense taken - heck, we weren't very good in 2002, that's what it means to be .500. But focus on that win all you want, you kinda have to when the 4 game series went 3-1 to Delaware and you got outscored 125-47 in those 4 games. Ah, memories. xpeacex

Johnson Hagood Stadium is worth two touchdowns... most of the time.

OL FU
August 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
NOW I see from my previous post why it looked like I was referring to Furman. What I should have said was that maybe Bobby Lamb was looking a little more to The Citadel than Wofford was because Furman plays in Charleston and Wofford plays in Greenville this year.

BTW... those pleasant memories are only few and far between when we play away!

xeyebrowx

2005 31-39 OT Loss
2003 10-9 Win
2001 7-30 Loss
1999 17-31 Loss
1997 7-21 Loss
1995 3-24 Loss

OKxeyebrowx :D

OL FU
August 22nd, 2007, 03:46 PM

If that is the case then better be handing out valiums by the handfulsxrolleyesx xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 03:47 PM
Johnson Hagood Stadium is worth two touchdowns... most of the time.

Maybe a second stadium would've helped in 1999? :p

OL FU
August 22nd, 2007, 03:48 PM
Our OOC schedule for the last few years has been good for 2 in the loss column, that's for sure. Of course, we'll see how good that theory holds when our OOC schedule starts moving away from 2 BCS games to 1 BCS/1 OOC FCS. I think it is next year that we start a home and home series with Princeton.

This year, we just play Wisconsin, and our other two OOC games are VMI and ....... Webber International.xwhistlex

Don't scare mexeekx Chuck South ain't in the conference:p

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM

I don't think that is on the plate this year. I think most people recognize how good Furman is going to be this year, and Coach Lamb is maybe playing his chances down a little.

Even the homers in Charleston who are predicting just a 3 loss season are predicting that we lose to Furman this year.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Jerry Moore has said that The Citadel will be very good this year and he usually knows what he's talking about. If Hatcher can get all that talent at GSU on the same page, they will be in the hunt. IMHO, I think FU is a top five FCS team if they can stay away from the injury bug with ASU being in the same category. Wofford will be tough with Elon, UC, and WCU pulling off a few upsets during the year.

In my opinion, that is perhaps the best commentary on the SoCon I have seen to date.

Appy and Furman are NC caliber teams and have everything they need to make that happen except the wins.

GSU has all the pieces of the NC caliber puzzle except one: experience together under the new system. We have the talent and coaching to overcome that, but we still have to do it.

Wofford's QB was touted in the Charleston newspaper by Ayers as being the best he has ever coached. They may actually make it to the playoffs this year (I hope not for GSU's sake though!)

UTC and The Citadel are question marks. They could do their usual thing or rack up some major upsets and surprise a lot of people.

I don't see Elon doing well because they lost their star QB and star linebacker. The defense will hang tough, but their offense will suffer as they have four true freshman and one red shirt freshman QB's. Not a lot of experience slinging the ball.

Western might actually do alright if they can stay healthy. Their schedule isn't in their favor to do so. If they can survive playing 'Bama and UGAy without too many injuries they may pull off some upsets.

CID1990
August 22nd, 2007, 03:51 PM
Don't scare mexeekx Chuck South ain't in the conference:p

Sorry, they are easy to forget sometimes. Especially with powerhouses like Webber Intl on the schedule.

We'll set the planets back into their proper alignments on Sept. 1.

ElonPride
August 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
I don't see Elon doing well because they lost their star QB and star linebacker. The defense will hang tough, but their offense will suffer as they have four true freshman and one red shirt freshman QB's. Not a lot of experience slinging the ball.

It is a shame we lost Pope at the helm, but we have a star on the rise on defense. Corey Weaver at LB finished 5th in the SoCon in total tackles (93), all while under Nkang's shadow.

I am afraid that the offense may leave the defense on the field too long. The good thing is, we play a good South Florida team right off the bat, so that should give our young QB an amazing chance to grow.

Throw 'em to the wolves!!! :) Our starting QB will probably be Donny Kirby, and he is a redshirt freshman. He did have the opportunity to sit an entire year and check things out.

No experience slingin' the ball, but I still can't see why the Sportnetwork didn't put Terrel Hudgins on the preseason All America team. After all he ONLY finished 2nd in the nation in receiving yards as a freshman! xeekx

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2007, 04:35 PM
I'm not the least supised Lamb is talking more about the Citadel. The Bulldogs play us close every year and Furman has more or less hammered the Terriers the past couple.

Death Dealer
August 22nd, 2007, 07:29 PM
I think he's just preparing Furman fans for an 7-0 conference record.:D

I'm surprised he didn't mention how good PC will be this year.fixed it for ya'!xthumbsupx

jonmac
August 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM

Are they the ones that make the grills. xpeacex
No smack intended, just thought it was funny.

gophoenix
August 23rd, 2007, 06:39 AM

Define "doing well" .... We have had a different QB every season since 2001, except for the two Kye Hamilton years (which meant we basically didn't have a QB). And last year was no different, Pope was a new QB that had started in 1 game.

I see the GSU bandwagon is in full swing again now. Let's see if everyone can stay on this year.

CID1990
August 23rd, 2007, 07:49 AM
Are they the ones that make the grills. xpeacex
No smack intended, just thought it was funny.

I looked them up a few weeks ago; they have been playing football for five years. They are NAIA, and it looks like their typical season hovers around .500. They have pretty uniforms.

Like a poster on El Cid's independent message board said, unless they load the bus up with a bunch of convicts, we'll probably beat them. (We could win even if they use that tactic, since we are already used to playing a team that loads the bus with convicts...ahem...xwhistlex )

Eyes of Old Main
August 23rd, 2007, 08:28 AM

So you're saying he's from the Lou Holtz school of coaching.

OL FU
August 23rd, 2007, 08:33 AM
So you're saying he's from the Lou Holtz school of coaching.

Accept he doesn't recruit from the local correctional institutionxsmiley_wix

Millwoch
August 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
Top 5 of Socon is really tough. Citadel's record over the past 10 years is horrific. But they had 3 coaches in 3 years, and perhaps the worse coach in Citadel history in Don Powers..They are now past that stage and have had a staff in place going on 3 years now. They have FU, Wofford and Appy at home with GSU on the road. They will still be underdogs for all of those games, but don't be surprised to see them win 1-2 of them.

It will be a fun year. I can't wait.

Go Dogs

citdog
August 23rd, 2007, 05:32 PM
When it all shakes out this year i predict the 'Dogs will finish second or third and sneak in the playoffs. I am on record!

Eyes of Old Main
August 23rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
I am on record!

No, you're on the clock and Appalachian, Furman, and Wofford are going to punch you out. xanim_chaix

BULLDOG8180
August 23rd, 2007, 10:07 PM
No, you're on the clock and Appalachian, Furman, and Wofford are going to punch you out. xanim_chaix

Your luck has run out, I guarantee Wofford falls in Charleston.xrulesx

Eyes of Old Main
August 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Your luck has run out, I guarantee Wofford falls in Charleston.xrulesx

I'll give credit when I see it happen. Until then, no credit is due.

In the meantime, remember that it's been 8 years which makes your guarantee look a little bit out of place.

citdog
August 24th, 2007, 08:45 AM

In the meantime, remember that it's been 8 years which makes your guarantee look a little bit out of place.

heel, lapdog!

BULLDOG8180
August 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM

Last and only time I guaranteed a victory over Wofford was 1979. Victory this year will make me 2 for 2.xsmiley_wix

CID1990
August 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Nobody should have to go through the musical coaches thing like we did. Before we got rid of Charlie Taaffe, the Wofford game was an almost guaranteed win.

The GSU people are feeling some of our pain right now, and quite frankly, I wouldn't wish it on anybody.

With that in mind, keep an eye on your karma when you point out the fact that you have won 8 straight... there is going to be a "market adjustment" very soon.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I still think ASU is a safe bet to be the sole conference champ, just because they are that good. Even if they lose one conference game (and they might), I can't see any other team making it through the year with only one loss.

But at least there are three teams (maybe 4) that have a reasonable shot at second this year. It'll be an interesting race. Let's get 2 AL bids this year :D

asu70
August 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
I still think ASU is a safe bet to be the sole conference champ, just because they are that good. Even if they lose one conference game (and they might), I can't see any other team making it through the year with only one loss.

But at least there are three teams (maybe 4) that have a reasonable shot at second this year. It'll be an interesting race. Let's get 2 AL bids this year :D

I think the Socon will have 3 teams in the playoffs this year, but the question is which 3? I believe that FU, App, GSU, Wofford, and The Citadel will battle it out for those 3 spots.