PDA

View Full Version : Michigan HC Carr quote

KAUMASS
August 22nd, 2007, 10:02 AM
On the tough tests Michigan will face in the first few weeks ... "One of the keys to a great season is to win the opener. When you go into a season, the opener is a critical game because every team goes in with great enthusiasm. We've got two teams (Oregon, Notre Dame) following Appalachian State that are among some of the better teams in the country. It's a great non-conference schedule for us".

I generally perceive his quote in context to mean that he has already looked past App. St and doesn't see the firestorm coming to the big house Sept. 1. I'm glad to see he is looking past App. State. I hope his team has the same attitude because if they do, App. State will be leading at halftime with a chance to win at the end of the game.

Giv'm some of the hell you gave us(UMass) in Chatty. I know you will.

AZGrizFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:04 AM
I predict ASU is down by 20 at the half. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xthumbsupx

andy7171
August 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
On the tough tests Michigan will face in the first few weeks ... "One of the keys to a great season is to win the opener. When you go into a season, the opener is a critical game because every team goes in with great enthusiasm. We've got two teams (Oregon, Notre Dame) following Appalachian State that are among some of the better teams in the country. It's a great non-conference schedule for us".

I generally perceive his quote in context to mean that he has already looked past App. St and doesn't see the firestorm coming to the big house Sept. 1. I'm glad to see he is looking past App. State. I hope his team has the same attitude because if they do, App. State will be leading at halftime with a chance to win at the end of the game.

Giv'm some of the hell you gave us(UMass) in Chatty. I know you will.

Can you pass the crack pipe over this way?

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
I predict ASU is down by 20 at the half. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xthumbsupx

I'm not sure I agree with the score at the half but I don't think Michigan is going to struggle much in this game. No offense, Appy, but Michigan is scary good this year.

AZGrizFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
Can you pass the crack pipe over this way?

You talkin' to me? If you think differently, Andy, it's YOU who needs to put down the pipe. xnodx xnodx xnodx

This ain't NC State they're playing this year.

Ronbo
August 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm not sure I agree with the score at the half but I don't think Michigan is going to struggle much in this game. No offense, Appy, but Michigan is scary good this year.

You're just saying that because you like their helmets.xlolx

andy7171
August 22nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
You talkin' to me? If you think differently, Andy, it's YOU who needs to put down the pipe. xnodx xnodx xnodx

I fixed it for you. I think you beat me to the reply by a couple seconds. xrolleyesx

PaladinFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:11 AM

It's just the reality. Yes, App. is our football division's best team. But last year they were pretty much handled by a NCSU team that was just plain bad. It is what it is.

If I were ASU I'd be more worried about getting out of the Big House with my team intact than keeping it close.

AZGrizFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:12 AM
I fixed it for you. I think you beat me to the reply by a couple seconds. xrolleyesx

Got it. No harm, no foul, bud! We're on the same page here.... xreadx xthumbsupx

AshevilleApp
August 22nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
It's just the reality. Yes, App. is our football division's best team. But last year they were pretty much handled by a NCSU team that was just plain bad. It is what it is.

If I were ASU I'd be more worried about getting out of the Big House with my team intact than keeping it close.

App would have beat NC State if it were the 3rd game or so...just my opinion of course.

App against Michigan will be a blowout primarily because our defensive line is young and untested. Look for Hart to rack up about 200 yds+

I'll go with 45-14 Big Blue

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:23 AM
You're just saying that because you like their helmets.xlolx

They are a thing of beauty, I agree. xlolx xlolx xlolx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

KAUMASS
August 22nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Oregon was ranked 35th last year and Utah was 46th in the power rankings. App. State was 53rd. Ball State came in at 98th last year and almost beat Michigan. My point here is that Carr is looking past App. St and that may help Appalachian State. The odds are stacked in Michigan's favor, but I do not agree with people who say App. State has no shot in this game.

Why don't you all with no faith and negative comments join all the press and FBS hippocrits and say App. State has no shot at Michigan. Heck, why don't you tell the players too, don't bother playing the game.
BTY, North Dakota State kicked the crap out of Ball State last year and should have beaten Minnesota as well. Ball State, who in turn, gave Michigan a great game and almost won..Minnesota was respectable against Michigan last year.

Our top 5 FCS teams can give any BCS team a game anytime, anywhere.
I don't do drugs either.

APPGRAD91
August 22nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
I don't take any offense to what he said. Sometimes the truth hurts, but if you were The University of Michigan who would you be preparing for, Appalachian State or Oregon and Notre Dame? I think we will go up there and play hard, but I just don't see it being close in the end. Just my $.02!!!

jonmac
August 22nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
This has been visited so many times here. If all of you other great FCS programs were in our shoes you would be pulling just as hard for your team and expect a good showing. I don't think any of us ASU fans really think we will win this game. But dadgumit let us pull for our guys you bunch of party poopers. And there will be no I told you so's afterward because like I said it is very likely that we will lose and possibly lose big, I really think we can all truly agree on that. But we're simply being fans just like all of you are for your teams.

And enough of the if this's and if thats about NC State last year, we got beat. There are reasons but we got beat. Just stop raining on our parade and we'll come back down to earth after Sept. 1. Well, most of us anyway. OK, I'm through ranting now. No offense meant to anyone. Just had to get this off my chest.

GreatAppSt
August 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
I don't take any offense to what he said. Sometimes the truth hurts, but if you were The University of Michigan who would you be preparing for, Appalachian State or Oregon and Notre Dame? I think we will go up there and play hard, but I just don't see it being close in the end. Just my $.02!!!

It also depends if JM and staff come to play or go through the NCSU motions again.xeyebrowx

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM
Michigan can look past any team in the bottom half of any conference in the way they are looking past Appy in that article.

Do you think anyone is going to take Carr seriously if he had said "Oh man, those App. St. Mountaineers sure do worry me a little bit." Heck no, everyone would be calling for him to get his head examined.

McNeese_beat
August 22nd, 2007, 10:40 AM

Probably so, but I'll give App State this: When they played LSU in 05, the consensus among Louisiana media is they were considerably better than the Sun Belt and WAC opponents that had wandered into Tiger Stadium in recent years (i.e. Louisiana-Lafayette, UL-Monroe, La. Tech, North Texas).

andy7171
August 22nd, 2007, 10:42 AM
Oregon was ranked 35th last year and Utah was 46th in the power rankings. App. State was 53rd. Ball State came in at 98th last year and almost beat Michigan. My point here is that Carr is looking past App. St and that may help Appalachian State. The odds are stacked in Michigan's favor, but I do not agree with people who say App. State has no shot in this game.

Why don't you all with no faith and negative comments join all the press and FBS hippocrits and say App. State has no shot at Michigan. Heck, why don't you tell the players too, don't bother playing the game.
BTY, North Dakota State kicked the crap out of Ball State last year and should have beaten Minnesota as well. Ball State, who in turn, gave Michigan a great game and almost won..Minnesota was respectable against Michigan last year.

I don't do drugs either.
Hey man, I think I can speak for the vast majority of AGSers when I say we are all rooting for ASU in this game. Some of us are just more grounded in reality than others. xpeacex

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 10:44 AM

I don't do drugs either.

I don't think Appy St can throw the ball like Ball St did. And if Appy St gives up the same 507 yards (359 yards on the ground) of offense that Ball St did the game won't be close.

As for no faith and negative comments, hey, it's a message board not a cheerleading convention. I wish Appy St well, but I don't think *gasp* they're going to win. :p

APPGRAD91
August 22nd, 2007, 10:46 AM
It also depends if JM and staff come to play or go through the NCSU motions again.xeyebrowx

I agree totally with this comment. It seemed to me that we simply went through the motions last year at NC State. We showed very little of the playbook (granted Elder was QB'ing) and tried to get out of town with our check and no injuries!!

laxVik
August 22nd, 2007, 10:48 AM

I don't do drugs either.Wow. Talk about delusional. xwhistlex

UNHWildCats
August 22nd, 2007, 10:50 AM

I don't do drugs either.

We can line up Appalachian State, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Montana and North Dakota State and they can all play Southern California in consecutive games on the same day and USC will still win each game convinvingly.

813Jag
August 22nd, 2007, 10:53 AM

I don't do drugs either.
Minnesota vs. Michigan is a rivalry, since 2003 last year's game was the largest margin of victory for the Wolverines. (14 points)

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 11:10 AM
We can line up Appalachian State, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Montana and North Dakota State and they can all play Southern California in consecutive games on the same day and USC will still win each game convinvingly.

Heck, we may be able to take an all-star team from those 5 FCS teams and they still couldn't hang with USC - who said LA doesn't have a pro team? Except for not paying them (well, I think they don't pay them) USC is pretty much a pro team. xpeacex

89Hen
August 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
If all of you other great FCS programs were in our shoes you would be pulling just as hard for your team and expect a good showing.
I think you mistake our reality with our hope. We ALL hope you make a good showing, but not all of us think that will be the case. xpeacex

bluehenbillk
August 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Lloyd Carr is about as boring as they come for coaches so he's not trying to give App State any bulletin board material, the 1st post in this thread is an awful reach.

Michigan won't beat AppState anyway. They'll freaking manhandle them. Michigan's offense could be one of the best ever.

TheValleyRaider
August 22nd, 2007, 11:49 AM

I guess I'm missing the part where he disses ASU. Comments like the ones I bolded suggest to me that he's taking this game seriously. He even refers to ASU by name, not "that D-II school South Carolina or wherever they're from."

Different read of the quotes, I guess.

DrG
August 22nd, 2007, 12:27 PM
I don't think very many of us FCS fans have any illusions (or delusions) about matchups with FBS schools, especially top-tier BCS teams. It's fun to participate in a big-time game-day environment, and there's nothing wrong with a little pre-game fantasizing. The main thing is to avoid injuries and head home with a nice paycheck.

KAUMASS
August 22nd, 2007, 12:43 PM
There is no disrespect to anyone here. Do I think Michigan will win? Yes. Is it totally out of the realm that App. State can hang with Michigan? no.

My point of this thread was to point out that Michigan coaches and players are overlooking Appalachian and that it may be a closer game because of that. I saw BC, UConn, UMass, Navy and Appalachian in person last year. Appalachian was the best team I saw. Call me delusional, smoking crack, and reality check and whatever else you want.

Whether Coach Moore plays conservative or all out is up to him.
I hope Coach Moore reminds his guys that Michigan puts on their pants on one leg at a time.

andy7171
August 22nd, 2007, 12:53 PM
My point of this thread was to point out that Michigan coaches and players are overlooking Appalachian...
I haven't seen anything since this game was announced this winter showing that Michigan is over looking App State.

GannonFan
August 22nd, 2007, 01:03 PM
There is no disrespect to anyone here. Do I think Michigan will win? Yes. Is it totally out of the realm that App. State can hang with Michigan? no.

My point of this thread was to point out that Michigan coaches and players are overlooking Appalachian and that it may be a closer game because of that. I saw BC, UConn, UMass, Navy and Appalachian in person last year. Appalachian was the best team I saw. Call me delusional, smoking crack, and reality check and whatever else you want.

I hope Coach Moore reminds his guys that Michigan puts on their pants on one leg at a time.

So, I agree, Appy St probably was better than those teams. But none of those teams could hang with Michigan either so what does that prove?

Bud2003
August 22nd, 2007, 03:22 PM

I don't do drugs either.

I LOVE THAT ATTITUDE. There is a reason they play the game. Anything can happen. Situations like these, hope your team goes in to compete, just like they do every Saturday and things will fall into place.

Also, about the haters bringing up the NC State game. Appy went to the game without their "guy" at quarterback. If NC State would have seen the App. team with Armanti running the offense, this could have been a lopsided game for the guys in black & gold.

appisgreatest
August 22nd, 2007, 08:24 PM
My main concern is getting out injury free. Do i think ASU can hang tough for about a half? Absolutely. Can they hang close for 4 qtrs? probably not. My rough guess is the final margin will be at best, 21-24 points. No shame in that, considering its one of the top teams in the country thats very deep athletically. Hopefully the Apps will win the respect of the Michigan fans after we play them in similar manner to how they garnered LSU's fans respect.

GoGuins
August 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM

<------I didn't say that! You have a link?!:D

Here's some quotes from Michigan's premium site so I can't link

Jerry Moore:

"I don't mean to make it sound like an exhibition game, but I'm more concerned with where we are a month from now," said Moore, "I think playing Michigan, win or lose, will make us a better football team. Last year we played North Carolina State and lost a close game and that helped us through the year. Two years ago, we lost games to both Kansas and LSU and I think each experience was important to the success we had

"I love this matchup," Moore said. "When I was a boy in small-town Texas I used to listen to Michigan games and I can still hear that fight song in my head. I think we'll probably hear it a lot when we're up there, but I didn't want to shy away from Michigan when they became a possibility. I have great respect for Coach [Lloyd] Carr and that program and I told our kids this is going to be a real thrill for them. We've had the chance to visit a lot of very cool places and playing in front of the biggest audience in the country is going to be something our kids will remember forever."

Edwards:

"I'm excited to play a BCS team in the biggest stadium in the country," Edwards said. "We know Michigan is supposed to be pretty good and we know that it's going to take our absolute best to compete with them. We're going to go out there and see what we've got, see what we're capable of. I think the guys are excited because it's a game where we can prove ourselves."

The line on this game is ASU +23, I thought it would be 27-30 (YSU is +31 against OSU) so I think ASU is getting some respect

YoUDeeMan
August 23rd, 2007, 12:43 AM
Stopped by the Big House on the way up to the UP last week. Impressive stadium. xnodx

I asked some local folks if they had heard about App State. Almost no one knew anything about ASU, but a few fans had read that ASU was the defending champs from "some other football conference or division". xrolleyesx

When I mentioned that UNH, a team from that "other" division, beat a Big-10 team last year, and that NDSU beat Minnesota in every category but the score, they were surprised, but not concerned. xcoffeex

I hope ASU gives Michigan a run for their money, but I think it will be a blow out.

phillyAPP
August 23rd, 2007, 06:51 AM
<------I didn't say that! You have a link?!:D

Here's some quotes from Michigan's premium site so I can't link

Jerry Moore:

Edwards:

The line on this game is ASU +23, I thought it would be 27-30 (YSU is +31 against OSU) so I think ASU is getting some respect

GoGuins are you staying out of the water in Ohio?

Good post also. I agree, if Michigan's(23pt) line stays the same or goes down, APP may be one of the LOWER lines all season.

GO APP - Give'em Hell

xeekx xeekx xeekx maybe michigan fans after game. lol

Retro
August 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Stopped by the Big House on the way up to the UP last week. Impressive stadium. xnodx

I asked some local folks if they had heard about App State. Almost no one knew anything about ASU, but a few fans had read that ASU was the defending champs from "some other football conference or division". xrolleyesx

When I mentioned that UNH, a team from that "other" division, beat a Big-10 team last year, and that NDSU beat Minnesota in every category but the score, they were surprised, but not concerned. xcoffeex

I hope ASU gives Michigan a run for their money, but I think it will be a blow out.

I think that it the consensus among most average fans of BCS schools.. Little knowledge outside their conference and especially division and probably only care about notre dame and ohio state. Not real football fans, just on the winning bandwagon as a lot of fans are..

Retro
August 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM
"You play the game to win" - Herman Edwards...

I don't know about all the FCS coaches, but Mcneese's approach has always been to go into every game to win, regardless of division, team record or payout.. The coaches have never wanted to play a game because of money, so as long as you take that approach you have a chance..

Regardless of the pre-season polls and overall tradition Michigan has, App State has to go in there and play their game, get ahead early and often, capitalize on every michigan mistake and not make any themselves. They do that and they can win....

In 2001, Mcneese went into Texas A&M on the first game and had them on the ropes till the 4th quarter. The depth was a factor, but more so was the fact that our qb was one of worst in recent years.. As the game wore on, the a&m defenders were able to pick up his eyes not looking off the defender and thus they made a couple of interceptions late that sealed Mcneese's fate... That was not one of Mcneese's better teams that year, yet a&m still was an 8-4 team with losses to the typical big 12 powers..

Michigan may or may not be a top 5 team this year, but like all the big ten and notre dame.. The conference is overrated.. The SEC showed that last season..

jstate83
August 23rd, 2007, 12:20 PM
Playem' hard........................But the reality is.

THIS GAME WON'T EVEN BE CLOSE.

Sorry. xwhistlex

UncleSam
August 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
If I were ASU, my biggest concern wouldn't be staying competitive with Michigan, it would be coming out of the Big House with my QB still in one piece.

UncleSam
August 23rd, 2007, 12:48 PM
Michigan may or may not be a top 5 team this year, but like all the big ten and notre dame.. The conference is overrated.. The SEC showed that last season..

The SEC/Big Ten played three games bowl games last year, the Big Ten won two of them. xrolleyesx

appheel
August 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
If I were ASU, my biggest concern wouldn't be staying competitive with Michigan, it would be coming out of the Big House with my QB still in one piece.

That is absolutely my biggest concern. I'm going to close my eyes every time Armanti gets hit.

I have no delusions about winning. I just want to keep it close in the first half, and like Moore said, we'll be a better team after this (as long as we don't have any injuries). Just imagine how weak Lenoir-Rhyne is going to look to our players coming off the game against Michigan.

GannonFan
August 23rd, 2007, 01:45 PM
The SEC/Big Ten played three games bowl games last year, the Big Ten won two of them. xrolleyesx

Details, details, details... xthumbsupx

jonmac
August 23rd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Yeah, don't let the facts cloud the issue.xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
August 23rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
If we can loose by 2 TDs or less, I'll consider that a statement has been made. xnodx

bluehenbillk
August 23rd, 2007, 02:08 PM

Remember those games are normally played in the SEC's backyard too.

lizrdgizrd
August 23rd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Remember those games are normally played in the SEC's backyard too.

Be fair, they do have a nice backyard. It's even got a barbecue pit. xnodx :D

http://logan.com/chris/hello/150/1093/640/HPIM0952.jpg
With smoke!
http://www.caterunlimited.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?id=7

89Hen
August 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
but like all the big ten and notre dame.. The conference is overrated.. The SEC showed that last season..
I'm no Big10 fan, but xeyebrowx

Florida 41 - Ohio State 14

Penn State 20 - Tennessee 10
Wisconsin 17 - Arkansas 10
Michigan 27 - Vandy 7

Not sure I follow.

lizrdgizrd
August 23rd, 2007, 02:37 PM

Michigan 27 - Vandy 7

Not sure I follow.
SEC - 68 B10 - 78. Hm, me either. xchinscratchx

GannonFan
August 23rd, 2007, 03:13 PM

Michigan 27 - Vandy 7

Not sure I follow.

Stop it with the details already - the guy said the SEC was better, Florida beat Ohio St, so let's not crowd the argument with details and other facts like other games and where the games are played that all get in the way of proving that point. Geesh. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Retro
August 23rd, 2007, 04:58 PM
OK, I wasn't looking at head to head bowl only matchups.. I was looking at the overall rating of the conferences.. And one could consider Notre Dame a member of the Big ten to some extent.. Remember their whipping by LSU?

When it comes to the best of each conference againest each other. The SEC is clearly better and a tougher conference top to bottom...

Sagarin rankings..

1 SOUTHEASTERN (A) = 81.60 81.23 ( 1) 12
2 BIG EAST (A) = 79.57 79.90 ( 2) 8
3 PAC-10 (A) = 78.78 79.15 ( 3) 10
4 ATLANTIC COAST (A) = 75.49 73.79 ( 6) 12
5 BIG TEN (A) = 74.89 75.62 ( 4) 11
6 BIG 12 (A) = 74.34 74.01 ( 5) 12
7 MOUNTAIN WEST (A) = 68.34 69.30 ( 7) 9

AlphaSigMD
August 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM
I wonder if they will have enough police on hand to prevent the ASU fans from pulling down the big house goalposts?

I certainly hope not.

GoGuins
August 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
I wonder if they will have enough police on hand to prevent the ASU fans from pulling down the big house goalposts?

I certainly hope not.

Even in defeat you'll try to tear them down?:)

AlphaSigMD
August 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
Even in defeat you'll try to tear them down?:)

Yes.

jonmac
August 23rd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Goalposts shudder in fear by our very presence. Heck, when I was at App in the early 90's one of our own goalposts was torn down after the stinking Braves won the NLCS. Go ahead laugh, and yes there evidently is not much to do on a week night in Boone in October. I had nothing to do with it, by the way.
And honestly, it really happened.

Kosty
August 24th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Michigan is ranked #5 in the country in both polls. They got first place votes in the USA Today poll. They are playing at home, in The Big House, in front of like 110,000 people. As much as I would like to say that App has a chance to keep it close, it's going to get UGLY. And I'll eat plenty of crow if App keeps it within 20. Get ready to hear "Hail To The Victor" MANY times tomorrow.

MTNEER
August 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
If you hear that song tomorrow, it will just be their band practicing!

andy7171
August 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Goalposts shudder in fear by our very presence. Heck, when I was at App in the early 90's one of our own goalposts was torn down after the stinking Braves won the NLCS. Go ahead laugh, and yes there is not much to do in Boone. I had nothing to do with it, by the way.
And honestly, it really happened.

Fixed it for ya! ;)

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 09:49 AM
And one could consider Notre Dame a member of the Big ten to some extent..
xconfusedx

One could also consider them a service academy since they usually play Navy and AFA every year... or a Pac10 school since they often play 3 of them each year. xeyebrowx

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 09:54 AM
The SEC is clearly better and a tougher conference top to bottom...
BTW, I'm not really sure what this has to do with this thread anyway. xconfusedx xeyebrowx Michigan will be a heavy favorite against AppSt irregardless of which conference they are in. FWIW, Michigan is 5-1 vs the SEC in their last six games. :p

leatherneck177
August 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I predict App State down by 22 at the half.

Michigan 41
App State 14

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
BTW, don't know if I said this earlier, but I actually expect the score to be a little closer than the game. Many BCS teams do NOT blow out I-AA's. I wouldn't be surprised to see App within 10 at the half and for UM to just grind out the second half and win by 20 something.

andy7171
August 24th, 2007, 10:03 AM
BTW, I'm not really sure what this has to do with this thread anyway. xconfusedx xeyebrowx Michigan will be a heavy favorite against AppSt irregardless of which conference they are in. FWIW, Michigan is 5-1 vs the SEC in their last six games. :p

xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx
xconfusedx I'm saying UM appears to have a good team, it's not because they're in any particular conference.

spoogemcgee18
August 24th, 2007, 10:34 AM
If you'll think back three years ago, Appalachian State entered the 90,000 seat Death Valley with LSU ranked number three and led by a decent quarterback named JaMarcus Russel. Anybody who was at that game will tell you that up until the third quarter, Tiger fans were pissing their pants, literally. It is not beyond the realm of possibility for this years group of Mountaineers, who in my opinion will be better than the 2005 team, to hang with Michigan. App State will lose by no more than twenty points.

GannonFan
August 24th, 2007, 10:45 AM
If you'll think back three years ago, Appalachian State entered the 90,000 seat Death Valley with LSU ranked number three and led by a decent quarterback named JaMarcus Russel. Anybody who was at that game will tell you that up until the third quarter, Tiger fans were pissing their pants, literally. It is not beyond the realm of possibility for this years group of Mountaineers, who in my opinion will be better than the 2005 team, to hang with Michigan. App State will lose by no more than twenty points.

They still lost that game 24-0 and Appy St was only in the red zone once that game.

ucdtim17
August 24th, 2007, 11:05 AM
If Ball State can push Michigan like they did last year, certainly ASU can do at least as well.

89Hen
August 24th, 2007, 11:10 AM
Many BCS teams do NOT blow out I-AA's.

If you'll think back three years ago, Appalachian State entered the 90,000 seat Death Valley with LSU ranked number three...
LSU 24 - AppSt0
LSU 35 - WIU 7
LSU 35 - The Citadel 10

FWIW, I remember El Cid losing to Clemson one year something like 35-0 and then coming to Newark the next week and losing 35-0.

andy7171
August 24th, 2007, 11:12 AM
LSU 24 - AppSt0
LSU 35 - WIU 7
LSU 35 - The Citadel 10

FWIW, I remember El Cid losing to Clemson one year something like 35-0 and then coming to Newark the next week and losing 35-0.

Therefore if Clemson played Delaware, they would tie.

BTW, irregardless isn't a word. It's one of my pet peeves. :o

james_lawfirm
August 24th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Therefore if Clemson played Delaware, they would tie.

BTW, irregardless isn't a word. It's one of my pet peeves. :o

I have the same peeve.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Michigan can look past any team in the bottom half of any conference in the way they are looking past Appy in that article.

Do you think anyone is going to take Carr seriously if he had said "Oh man, those App. St. Mountaineers sure do worry me a little bit." Heck no, everyone would be calling for him to get his head examined.

That's sort of what Mark Richt said about GSU before the '04 opener even though GSU had come off of a 7-4 non-playoff season and UGA was in the top 4 in pretty much every poll.

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 24th, 2007, 02:51 PM
The HC is right about the opener being very important for morale, but he is wrong about the enthusiasm. I serisouly doubt the UM players will be focused and fired up come September 1st.

ASU has a very remote chance of winning the game, but I'll bet any of you that their offense is going to hurt some feelings. Edwards and Richardson are two talented and mentally tough players and they won't lay down and die for anyone. Plus you have the fact that the whole football orthodoxy in big college football looks down their noses at their type of offense, yet they can never seem to stop them.

If ASU manages more than a couple of touchdowns on the first string defense (and I think there is strong chance they will) or more than four touchdowns for the whole game UM's morale will be crushed.

GlennGoBlue
August 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
ASU manages more than a couple of touchdowns on the first string defense (and I think there is strong chance they will) or more than four touchdowns for the whole game UM's morale will be crushed.

Well, I highly doubt that. Michigan lost 4 starters in the first 50 picks of the draft and that defense, despite being outstanding for MOST of last year, still gave up about 100 in the last 2 games. Now the defense is much younger. Bad news for ASU is that it's strength is up front and it's more vulnerable to the pass in all likelihood, and as I understand it that is not ASU's strength, per se. Also, Michigan's ranking is based primarily on their offense, you may see a LOT of rotation on the defensive side of the ball, especially if UM's offense is putting up numbers to keep things comfortable. So it would not shock me to see ASU put up some points and I don't think anybody in Ann Arbor will be "crushed", esp. if the contest is never really in doubt and some of it comes in garbage time.

That said, I don't think ASU scores more than 1 TD on the first team, nor more than 17 on the game.

TheValleyRaider
August 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Well, I highly doubt that. Michigan lost 4 starters in the first 50 picks of the draft and that defense, despite being outstanding for MOST of last year, still gave up about 100 in the last 2 games. Now the defense is much younger.

Umm, those last two games were against Ohio State and Southern Cal, both at least Top 5 teams in the nation last season. I like App. State, but no way their offense is in the same league as a Troy Smith-Ted Ginn-Antonio Pittman OSU offense.

And I'm sure UM will be fired up for their season opener. First game, first chance to show something after their disappointing end to last year, big crowd in the Big House, what's not to get excited about?

Black Saturday
August 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM
Well, I highly doubt that. Michigan lost 4 starters in the first 50 picks of the draft and that defense, despite being outstanding for MOST of last year, still gave up about 100 in the last 2 games. Now the defense is much younger. Bad news for ASU is that it's strength is up front and it's more vulnerable to the pass in all likelihood, and as I understand it that is not ASU's strength, per se. Also, Michigan's ranking is based primarily on their offense, you may see a LOT of rotation on the defensive side of the ball, especially if UM's offense is putting up numbers to keep things comfortable. So it would not shock me to see ASU put up some points and I don't think anybody in Ann Arbor will be "crushed", esp. if the contest is never really in doubt and some of it comes in garbage time.

That said, I don't think ASU scores more than 1 TD on the first team, nor more than 17 on the game.

IMO, 17 pts would be nice and impressive for APPs first team to score in 2 qtrs of play, because that's likely all they'll see. And that is ok, because APP will be at the top the FCS again this year, which is the ultimate goal of the season win that level and not at a level above their heads. ASU beating UM would be like UM beating the Packers or any other pro team based on the disparity in size, speed, and depth.

SoCon48
August 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
IMO, 17 pts would be nice and impressive for APPs first team to score in 2 qtrs of play, because that's likely all they'll see. And that is ok, because APP will be at the top the FCS again this year, which is the ultimate goal of the season win that level and not at a level above their heads. ASU beating UM would be like UM beating the Packers or any other pro team based on the disparity in size, speed, and depth.

17 is quite like more than some of their B10 opponents will score on them.xeyebrowx

Saint3333
August 24th, 2007, 05:35 PM
The HC is right about the opener being very important for morale, but he is wrong about the enthusiasm. I serisouly doubt the UM players will be focused and fired up come September 1st.

ASU has a very remote chance of winning the game, but I'll bet any of you that their offense is going to hurt some feelings. Edwards and Richardson are two talented and mentally tough players and they won't lay down and die for anyone. Plus you have the fact that the whole football orthodoxy in big college football looks down their noses at their type of offense, yet they can never seem to stop them.

If ASU manages more than a couple of touchdowns on the first string defense (and I think there is strong chance they will) or more than four touchdowns for the whole game UM's morale will be crushed.

I appreciate the confidence and agree ASU has excellent skill players. My question/concern comes on the o and d lines. ASU will be very young (especially on the d-line, starting soph, soph, freshman, and R-soph) at these positions. Also all-SoCon center Suttle is likely out for the game.

YoUDeeMan
August 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I have the same peeve.

Add me to that list.

Unfortunately, some on line dictionaries are including it...xnonox xoopsx

Mrs. Cope is probably rolling in her grave.

AppMan
August 25th, 2007, 06:37 AM

I don't think loosing by 13 points, giving up 109 more yards of offense, 7 more first downs, and less than 7 more minutes of possession time is being "handled."

AppMan
August 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

Ain't that the truth!

AppMan
August 25th, 2007, 06:46 AM
Be fair, they do have a nice backyard. It's even got a barbecue pit. xnodx :D

http://logan.com/chris/hello/150/1093/640/HPIM0952.jpg
With smoke!
http://www.caterunlimited.com/cgi-bin/photo.cgi?id=7

Hummmmm.... that is kind of an interesting, a Hog Cooker for cooking hogs!

AppMan
August 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Michigan is ranked #5 in the country in both polls. They got first place votes in the USA Today poll. They are playing at home, in The Big House, in front of like 110,000 people. As much as I would like to say that App has a chance to keep it close, it's going to get UGLY. And I'll eat plenty of crow if App keeps it within 20. Get ready to hear "Hail To The Victor" MANY times tomorrow.

Oh Man..... I missed my flight! :>)

AppMan
August 25th, 2007, 07:01 AM

You have to remember LSU was 9 games into the season and the younger players had got some experience under their belts and we had developed some depth. With the exception of a 22-15 loss to Auburn in 1999 (should have won that game too!), traditionally ASU has not performed very well vs FBS schools on opening day. We could have, probably should have, beat NC State last year, but we are dealing with a different animal here. Still, I'm spending the $750+ to go to the game to cheer hard for my Apps and wish for a miracle.

CopperCat
August 25th, 2007, 10:23 AM
I guess I'm missing the part where he disses ASU. Comments like the ones I bolded suggest to me that he's taking this game seriously. He even refers to ASU by name, not "that D-II school South Carolina or wherever they're from."

You are right, IMO. App fans may be reading into that a bit too much. I'm sure that Michigan knows they have the ability to soundly defeat App, but I'm also sure the Carr has his team watching the tapes and preparing for that game. If they win the season opener at home, the momentum that UM takes away from that is huge. It doesn't matter who you play for the home opener: if you win, people are happy.

bcrawf
August 25th, 2007, 11:49 AM
Michigan 42
App State 13

ngineer
August 25th, 2007, 11:55 AM
You can certainly read the quote as looking past ASU..and I think it reflects reality. I don't care if he said "We're just looking at our opener with Appalachian State", human nature says they're looking ahead.

phillyAPP
August 25th, 2007, 02:12 PM
You can certainly read the quote as looking past ASU..and I think it reflects reality. I don't care if he said "We're just looking at our opener with Appalachian State", human nature says they're looking ahead.

I LOVE HUMAN NATURE

I CAN't WAIT TIL SEPT 1

3 Goals next weekend for me:

1- Stay healthy
2- Gain respect and play hard
3- Play to win

appfan2008
August 25th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Michigan 35
ASU 17

ASUMountaineer
August 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM

I agree, I used to live in Lansing and got to watch a lot of Big 10 football. Lloyd Carr is not exactly what you would call a "media master." What I took from the quote is his round-about way of saying, that he feels the opener is very important because they need to get off on the right foot if they are going to hang with Oregon and Notre Dame. He, the media, the fans, and God know that Michigan should easily win this game, but they may or may not easily beat Oregon and/ or Notre Dame, so to him this game is very important to win if you want to start the season off right. He didn't disrespect Appalachian State. However, if we were to win how much says he doesn't make it off the field before being fired?

GoGuins
August 26th, 2007, 08:15 PM
Michigan 35
ASU 17

Very well could be, but I think Michigan will cover, 41-13

AZGrizFan
August 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Michigan 35
ASU 17

If App State puts up 17 on Michigan, Carr may be run out of town on a rail. I say 40-7---with Michigan up by 20+ at the half.

Mountaineer
August 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
If App State puts up 17 on Michigan, Carr may be run out of town on a rail. I say 40-7---with Michigan up by 20+ at the half.

Agreed. I don't see 17 points happening at all. Certainly not against Michigan in their house. Factor in first game jitters and the conservative Moore approach - I think it's going to be ugly. :(

SoCon48
August 27th, 2007, 07:58 AM
If Moore comes out less than conservative, it could be 40-7 by half time.
Long pass on 1st down at the 20 could make the game 7-0 with less than 30 seconds gone in the game. This is no team to get cutesy against.

I'm a big fan of Kevin, but we'll be lucky to get 50 yards out of him vs Michigan. This ain't Elon we're dealing with. Without a good running performance, Edwards will be limited.

KAUMASS
September 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM

I don't do drugs either.

Any naysayers like to apoligize b4 I call you out? Way to go App!!

KAUMASS
September 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM

xthumbsupx xnodx xnodx xlolx xpeacex xeekx

No_Skill
September 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM
Hey I was with you KAUMASS, especially after the NDSU comment!xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
September 1st, 2007, 07:44 PM
Hey I was with you KAUMASS, especially after the NDSU comment!xthumbsupx

I know...Thanks!!!

proasu89
September 1st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Lloyd Carr is about as boring as they come for coaches so he's not trying to give App State any bulletin board material, the 1st post in this thread is an awful reach.

Michigan won't beat AppState anyway. They'll freaking manhandle them. Michigan's offense could be one of the best ever.

Where does that put our DEFENSE?

Props to KAUMASSxbowx