PDA

View Full Version : Bomar Makes SHSU A Legitimate Threat

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2007, 06:29 AM
From SFA beat writer Kevin Gore...though he does make a mistake when he says that Chaloupka, Long and McCown are transfers from Division I schools. Last I checked, Sam Houston State was a Division I football program. Can we say Divvy anyone?

Bomar makes SHSU legitimate SLC threat
By KEVIN GORE
Staff writer

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Southland Conference teams have taken notice of the Sam Houston Bearkats, for good reasons.

They have another big-time quarterback running the show.

History has proven when that's the case, the Bearkats are around the top of the SLC standings and likely will challenge for the league title.

Sam Houston had big seasons under quarterbacks Josh McCown, Chris Chaloupka and Dustin Long, all transfers from Division I schools.

http://www.dailysentinel.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/08/19/sam_houston_slc_series_8_19.html

Jerbearasu
August 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
The article said Bomar "sat out last season as part of the NCAA probationary procedures that are associated with transferring". This totally isn't true; the NCAA suspended him last year for the rules he broke at OU. You only have to sit out a year if you transfer up or laterally on NCAA classifications... I think SHSU is instant playoff contenders but I wouldn't put them in the national contender spotlight just yet.

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2007, 08:11 PM
The article said Bomar "sat out last season as part of the NCAA probationary procedures that are associated with transferring". This totally isn't true; the NCAA suspended him last year for the rules he broke at OU. You only have to sit out a year if you transfer up or laterally on NCAA classifications... I think SHSU is instant playoff contenders but I wouldn't put them in the national contender spotlight just yet.

Nice catch...

I agree, instant playoff contenders with Bomar, but it's going to take a 6-1 mark in SLC play at worse in addition to a win over either NDSU or Oklahoma St (no way the Kats go 2-0 in those games). That's going to be a huge reach...

As much as playoffs would be nice in '07, it'll be tough. The 2008 season is more likely -- thanks Missouri State! xnonono2x