PDA

View Full Version : Hampton - Taking Advantage of New Kickoff Rule

TexasTerror
August 18th, 2007, 07:57 PM
This article leads one to believe that there is no program in the nation that will take advantage of the change in the spot of the kickoff than Hampton University. Hampton has one of these speedsters in the NFL already in Jerome Mathis and could soon put another one in.
--------------
They'll be speedy Pirates
With 34 players running 4.7 or faster in the 40, Hampton University's team is faster than ever.
BY MARTY O'BRIEN | 247-4963

HAMPTON - If Hampton University coach Joe Taylor ever tires of chasing a Football Championship Subdivision (I-AA) title, he might consider pursuing an NCAA track and field title. He could recruit from his 2007 football team, which will showcase speed never before seen in the program.

Since preseason camp opened Monday, the list to run better than 4.7 seconds in 40-yard dash on the Armstrong Stadium track has swelled to 34 players. That includes 12 recruits and transfers, most of whom are expected to start or contribute immediately.

"This is it," Taylor, the Pirates' 16th-year coach, said Saturday during media day. "We've never had this kind of speed during my time here. "It's not just on offense and defense, either. We have lots of kids who can return the football and lots who can get down the field on kickoffs.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-now-hufootball.au19,0,1713181.story

Menudo
August 18th, 2007, 10:00 PM
Hmmm, are we still ranked to finish first in the Meac. Sorry been out of the loop.

TexasTerror
August 19th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Hmmm, are we still ranked to finish first in the Meac. Sorry been out of the loop.

SC State was picked ahead of Hampton...

"The South Carolina State Bulldogs edged out the defending MEAC champion Hampton Pirates by six points to hold the first place positioning in preseason predictions. The Bulldogs, who celebrate 100 years of football this season, tallied eight first place votes and 266 total points. The Bulldogs finished the 2006 season tied at second place with a 6-2 conference record and a 7-4 overall finish. " (Credit: http://www.meacsports.com/artman/publish/article_141.shtml)

R.A.
August 19th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Too bad they're still going to lose on the 8th.

Punchykky
August 19th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Too bad they're still going to lose on the 8th.

xlolx We shall see, won't we? xlolx If Howard University defeats Hampton University on Sept. 8th, I will xbowx down to the mighty Bison of Howard University, the real "HU"!xlolx xnodx

Ronbo
August 19th, 2007, 11:24 AM
There is alot more to making a good kick returner than sheer speed. Field vision is important. The ability to see how your blocking is setting up and running to daylight. That being said we are putting our 4.41 WR Marc Mariani back on kick returns. In practices and scrimmages he seems to see the field well.

Punchykky
August 19th, 2007, 11:29 AM
There is alot more to making a good kick returner than sheer speed. Field vision is important. The ability to see how your blocking is setting up and running to daylight. That being said we are putting our 4.41 WR Marc Mariani back on kick returns. In practices and scrimmages he seems to see the field well.

I think field vision is just as important, if not more, as speed. You are so very correct on that one.xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
August 19th, 2007, 11:30 AM

"We"? Oh, so you're coaching now, ron?

xsmhx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Ronbo
August 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM

I respect your ability to separate yourself from your program and speak of them in the third person. As a person that's been involved in sales all my life I have always referred to my Company as "we". I don't say to a sales prospect "they" when talking about my Company. xsmiley_wix

Tribe4SF
August 19th, 2007, 12:30 PM
In line with the thread on 40 times, HU is obviously into promoting great times by its players. Those in the article are obviously fiction. No way do they have multiple guys who are faster than Jerome Mathis.

Ronbo
August 19th, 2007, 12:38 PM

I attend about 70% of Griz practices being only 5 minutes from the field and attend all the scrimmages. As a season ticket holder I saw all the home games in 2006 and a couple road games. I attended 11 games. So yes I can talk about the players with some knowlege and I can refer to the "Program" as we. At Montana the fans are a big part of the program, too bad that's not so at UNI kitty litter breath. :D

R.A.
August 19th, 2007, 01:21 PM
In line with the thread on 40 times, HU is obviously into promoting great times by its players. Those in the article are obviously fiction. No way do they have multiple guys who are faster than Jerome Mathis.

xlolx

G.S.Green
August 19th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I don't know. They do look awfully fast. I'm sure the stopwatches are just a bit off though. Don't tell anybody about HU and maybe we can get a Home and Home series with some of the Virginia schools that always seem to have other commitments when it is time to play.

G.S.Green

Tribe4SF
August 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
I don't know. They do look awfully fast. I'm sure the stopwatches are just a bit off though. Don't tell anybody about HU and maybe we can get a Home and Home series with some of the Virginia schools that always seem to have other commitments when it is time to play.

G.S.Green

As I've said before, I'd love to see it. We only have one game a year to work with, and we start a series with Elon next year (dropping Liberty). It's now been 10 years since our last home-and-home, so hopefully it won't be too much longer.