PDA

View Full Version : Early season matchups. What catches your attention?

Ronbo
August 17th, 2007, 11:01 AM
What is the most intriguing matchup you will be interested in in the early season that doesn't involve your school?

For me it is Portland State vs. McNeese State. I'm really interested to see how Glanville and his young PSU squad will do against a darn good Cowboy team at their house.

Umass74
August 17th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Right off the bat on Aug. 30th-----Delaware @ William & Mary.

Two teams that need to rebound in 2007. The Tribe has lost 12 of their last 15 games. The Hens were sub .500 last year.

Both teams play a BCS team (VA Tech for the Tribe and Navy for the Hens). A league loss in the first game and a loss to the BCS team would mean the losing team would have to go 8-1 against the rest of their schedule to make the playoffs.

Pressure right away!

laxVik
August 17th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Fort Lewis vs UM at home. No wait...SUU vs UM at home. No wait....Albany vs UM at home. No wait...

UNH SUPERFAN
August 17th, 2007, 02:59 PM
I think UNH at JMU on Sept 8 is a big early season game. UNH has been very good lately in season openers, hopefully that trend will continue!

Dallas Demon
August 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Central Arkansas at Northwestern State. Southland Conference slate starts early this year. I know the rivalry with Central Arkansas is just starting, but Southland matchups are usually pretty heated between the schools.

PaladinFan
August 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Furman at Hofstra. See if Furman can avoid an early season loss on a tough road game.

chattanoogamocs
August 17th, 2007, 05:42 PM
the early season that doesn't involve your school

Well, one person out of the four responding so far read the question :)

Death Dealer
August 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM
What is the most intriguing matchup you will be interested in in the early season that doesn't involve your school?
There are football games that don't involve my school?xeekx You jest sir!xwhistlex

KleinTx05
August 17th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Cal Poly @ Texas St xbowx xthumbsupx

GOKATS
August 17th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Well, one person out of the four responding so far read the question :)

I read it- Ft. Lewis at Montana xoopsx

xlmaox

Seawolf97
August 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Albany -Hofstra - I think the Danes with their D can win it!xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
August 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM

xlmaox

I think the question is this:

Will Fort Lewis lose to Montana by more than Montana State will lose to Texas A&M? xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Casey_Orourke
August 17th, 2007, 11:02 PM

For me it is Portland State vs. McNeese State. I'm really interested to see how Glanville and his young PSU squad will do against a darn good Cowboy team at their house.

Thanks for the nod to PSU, but I think the Montana/Albany game will have a huge impact on both the NEC and Big Sky....Two teams, each of which are picked to win their conferences meeting early on could show the potential each team has against a quality opponent.

AZGrizFan
August 17th, 2007, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the nod to PSU, but I think the Montana/Albany game will have a huge impact on both the NEC and Big Sky....Two teams, each of which are picked to win their conferences meeting early on could show the potential each team has against a quality opponent.

Unfortunately there aren't many people outside of Albany who consider Albany a quality opponent for Montana. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx I personally do, but I'm sure I'm in the minority. xwhistlex

ngineer
August 17th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately there aren't many people outside of Albany who consider Albany a quality opponent for Montana. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx I personally do, but I'm sure I'm in the minority. xwhistlex

Oh, after last year, I would think most people in the PL and CAA have acquired sufficient respect for the Danes. That game will be a real barometer for their program..

X-Factor
August 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
SDSU @ YSU

SDSU actually opens at WIU, which could be tough as well with that running game of WIU. These games could shed some light as to SDSU being a pretender or contender early in the season plus a bearing for next year in the Gateway.

AZGrizFan
August 17th, 2007, 11:07 PM
Oh, after last year, I would think most people in the PL and CAA have acquired sufficient respect for the Danes. That game will be a real barometer for their program..

And yet the ad nauseum discussion regarding Montana's "creampuff" schedule. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

ngineer
August 17th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Since Lehigh is opening a week late this year, watching our first opponent Villanova against Maryland will be very interesting. Either 'nova pulls the big upset and sends a tremble toward South Mountain, or the Terps pummel the daylights out of them (although it may be a night game ;) ) to soften them up for us..

Ronbo
August 17th, 2007, 11:17 PM

xlmaox

Really interested if we'll break the school records for points scored, yards gained, and lowest yards given up aren't you?xsmiley_wix

RabidRabbit
August 18th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Several key match-ups early will be keys in top 25 teams this year.

Portland St vs. McNeese xbowx xbowx 2 quality teams with play-off hopes.

UC-Davis @ Portland St. Both teams really need this game to make the play-offs. Portland St. especially if they wither under the Cajun sun vs McNeese the week before.

Sam Houston St. @ NDSU -Very few teams WIN in Fargo. If Bomar and company win this, watch out Southland. xwhistlex

Cal Poly @ Texas St. Two teams from the 2005 play-offs who didn't make the 2006 play-offs. I feel this is a must win for Poly, and I'd prefer to see a high score by Poly to demonstrate that their offense exists.

I know that I'm not suppose to include my alma mater but SDSU starts out with 3 Gateway teams. WIU YSU & UNI. If Bunnies are 2-1 after that stretch, they're a top 15 quality team. 1-2 or 0-3, out of top 30.

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 18th, 2007, 06:54 AM
JMU v UNC

UNH is against Idle in week one (I game we can hanlde but I would rather play them mid season).

ncbears
August 18th, 2007, 11:33 AM
SDSU @ YSU

SDSU actually opens at WIU, which could be tough as well with that running game of WIU. These games could shed some light as to SDSU being a pretender or contender early in the season plus a bearing for next year in the Gateway.

I like the SDSu v. WIU game too. SDSU is supposed to have a very good defensive line which should free up the linebackers. They MIGHt be able to hold Donaldson. It should be a good matchup. That's on a Thursday right?

R.A.
August 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Coastal Carolina@ Del State- If DSU has any playoff plans, they better beat Coastal. If Coastal repeats as Big South Champ and has an 8-3 or 0-2 type season, then a victory over the Chants will be huge is DSU is playoff eligible at the end of the season.

Hampton @ Howard- This game is being played "Where The Bison Roam." The "Battle of the Real HU" rivalry contest has always been close in Washington DC at our Greene Stadium with the last two scores being 17-14 and 22-12, both going into the final minutes. I don't like Hampton, and they're going to lose by alot :D so make sure you're listening or watching that ballgame.

Towson St. @ Morgan St.-Towson is supposed too be legit. Morgan has improved. The game is at Morgan's Hughes Stadium. This game, like the CCU/DSU game is big for our conference.

Southern vs. FAMU- We're better than the SWAC, and we're going to keep beating them. That's all there is too it. We own the MEAC/SWAC Challenge series lead 2-0, and after this game, it'll be 3-0, and we plan on keeping them winless in it for a long long time.

Jacksonville @ Bethune Cookman-There's no reason for BCU to lose to some upstart. The Wildcats will beat them down.

laxVik
August 18th, 2007, 12:05 PM
And yet the ad nauseum discussion regarding Montana's "creampuff" schedule. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeexYou realize all, I say ALL, of your ooc games are at home? One against D2, one a FCS bottom feeder. Creampuff indeed.

Ronbo
August 18th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Why would we go to SUU, Fort Lewis, or Albany and play before 1200 people? And how would those schools pay the required $450,000 to get us there? We will pay them $175,000 to come see us. I doubt any of them could even afford to pay us that to go to their stadiums. There is a reason Texas, USC, Ohio State, and Michigan play all their OOC games at home. Are we going to have to beat into your skulls till you finally get it?

Proud Griz Man
August 18th, 2007, 12:27 PM

xlmaox

At least Fort Lewis gave Chadron State a challenge last year. xlolx

Ronbo
August 18th, 2007, 12:35 PM
At least Fort Lewis gave Chadron State a challenge last year. xlolx

Chadron State 40 Fort Lewis 27

Chadron State 35 Montana State 24

They scored more than MSU.xlolx

I read that our AD sent out dozens of invites to CAA, Southern, Ivy, and Gateway teams to come play us for $190,000. No takers. So that's the teams we get, SUU, Fort Lewis, and Albany.

slostang
August 18th, 2007, 12:41 PM
The GWFC early season games that I am looking foward to are:

Sept. 1

Southern Utah @ Montana - We will find out real quick if the extra scholarships have help SUU improve.

Sept. 8

SDSU @ Youngstown State - Battle of two top 25 teams.

UCD @ Portland State - Davis takes on the Man in Black. I think that Davis will surprise the voters that did not put them in their top 25.

Sept. 15

Sam Houston State @ NDSU - Bomar comes to the Fargo Dome. Should be a good test for the third ranked Bison.

ncbears
August 18th, 2007, 01:37 PM
The GWFC early season games that I am looking foward to are:

Sept. 1

Southern Utah @ Montana - We will find out real quick if the extra scholarships have help SUU improve.

Sept. 8

SDSU @ Youngstown State - Battle of two top 25 teams.

UCD @ Portland State - Davis takes on the Man in Black. I think that Davis will surprise the voters that did not put them in their top 25.

Sept. 15

Sam Houston State @ NDSU - Bomar comes to the Fargo Dome. Should be a good test for the third ranked Bison.

ohh...I forgot about Bomar coming to NDSU. That will be a good match up. I'll say it's a toss-up as far as who wins. I don't know if the Bison will face a better qb all season.

bisonwest
August 18th, 2007, 03:00 PM
ohh...I forgot about Bomar coming to NDSU. That will be a good match up. I'll say it's a toss-up as far as who wins. I don't know if the Bison will face a better qb all season.

I know that we have SFA first and we better not be looking ahead, but I'm really pumped for the Sam Houston game! I think they're gonna give us a great game!! Hopefully we can contain Bomar!! Considering we're playing in the Dome I'm giving the Bison a 3-5pt edge. But they definately could knock us off.

Grizalltheway
August 18th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Chadron State 40 Fort Lewis 27

Chadron State 35 Montana State 24

They scored more than MSU.xlolx

I read that our AD sent out dozens of invites to CAA, Southern, Ivy, and Gateway teams to come play us for $190,000. No takers. So that's the teams we get, SUU, Fort Lewis, and Albany.

Cowards. xnodx

ThreadStopper
August 18th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Cal Poly @ Texas St xbowx xthumbsupx

This game is going to tell both of these teams a lot. Texas State with a new coach and a new offense. Will Cal Poly have an offense this year?

laxVik
August 18th, 2007, 04:11 PM
There is a reason Texas, USC, Ohio State, and Michigan play all their OOC games at home. Is that why USC plays at ND and Nebraska this year? It's a shame you don't know what you're talking about.

Ronbo
August 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
They are not playing at Central Michigan, N. Colorado, and La Tech which would be like us playing at our OOC opponents stadiums. When USC plays a home and home with Notre Dame it's a money deal for both schools with tons of TV cash. Not true in FCS where one school draws 24,000 fans and the other draws 10,000. We lose too much money going there, that's why we pay $190,000 to get them here. If they don't want to come then shame on them not us. We went $1,000,000 in the hole in 2002 - 2004 partly because of playing home and homes and I don't think they'll do it again for awhile. The Regents have put our budget on a very short leash and has mandated that we schedule profitable games only.

I guess you don't know what you're talking about you viking loser.

McTailGator
August 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Here is a new match up:

DEAN vs the Texas/Louisiana Gulf Coast. xconfusedx

Might be seen on a special THURSDAY night broadcast if this model proves accurate. xeekx

http://icons.wunderground.com/data/storm_radar/dean04l.2007081800_anim.gif?cache=172

Ronbo
August 18th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Look at those winds pick up as it crosses the Gulf.

laxVik
August 18th, 2007, 06:00 PM
They are not playing at Central Michigan, N. Colorado, and La Tech which would be like us playing at our OOC opponents stadiums. When USC plays a home and home with Notre Dame it's a money deal for both schools with tons of TV cash. Not true in FCS where one school draws 24,000 fans and the other draws 10,000. We lose too much money going there, that's why we pay $190,000 to get them here. If they don't want to come then shame on them not us. We went $1,000,000 in the hole in 2002 - 2004 partly because of playing home and homes and I don't think they'll do it again for awhile. The Regents have put our budget on a very short leash and has mandated that we schedule profitable games only.

I guess you don't know what you're talking about you viking loser.Funny. Play better teams then. Your regents apparently like guaranteed victories as well with Ft. Lewis & SUU.

DuckDuckGriz
August 18th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Funny. Play better teams then. Your regents apparently like guaranteed victories as well with Ft. Lewis & SUU.

Please feel free to visit the smack board and my response to one of your PSU buddies RE: Montana's OOC traditionally and I think you'll realize that your comment is BS.

ANYWAY

Three matches I will be looking at, 2 with Big Sky teams:

Portland State / McNeese State -- The Cowboys look to be pretty good this year and it will be interesting to see right away if Glanville with the Viks has already made a difference. PSU was able to give MSU a beatdown at PGE a couple years back but this is a very different McNeese squad.

Northern Arizona / App State -- All the questions surrounding NAU on offense will be interesting to see, especially against one of the country's quickest overall defenses. I truly honestly think this has upset potential. xthumbsupx

Sam Houston State / North Dakota State -- Want to see if the Bison will pick up where they left off, and the debut of Rhett Bomar in the Fargo Dome.

Ronbo
August 18th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Please feel free to visit the smack board and my response to one of your PSU buddies RE: Montana's OOC traditionally and I think you'll realize that your comment is BS.

ANYWAY

Three matches I will be looking at, 2 with Big Sky teams:

Portland State / McNeese State -- The Cowboys look to be pretty good this year and it will be interesting to see right away if Glanville with the Viks has already made a difference. PSU was able to give MSU a beatdown at PGE a couple years back but this is a very different McNeese squad.

Northern Arizona / App State -- All the questions surrounding NAU on offense will be interesting to see, especially against one of the country's quickest overall defenses. I truly honestly think this has upset potential. xthumbsupx

Sam Houston State / North Dakota State -- Want to see if the Bison will pick up where they left off, and the debut of Rhett Bomar in the Fargo Dome.

I'm pretty interested to see how Glanville does with just 9 returning starters against a veteran McNeese team. The Viks are going to be pretty inexperienced.

Dallas Demon
August 18th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Cowards. xnodx

Do all the Montana women look as good as the pictures you guys post? Nice.

GoAgs72
August 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ever since the schedule was announced, I've said the Aggie game with Portland State will be a critical test. If we beat PSU, we have a good chance for the playoffs.

Old Montana State Grad
August 18th, 2007, 11:38 PM
The two "I don't have a dog in that fight" would be Coastal Carolina versus Georgia Southern and App State and NAU. Each and every time I look at GSU's results and stats from last year, I kind of feel I wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of retribution this year. The new, improved option we saw from App State will undoubtedly be raised to a much higher level in Statesboro and Greenville.

The NAU game in Carolina will go a long way toward conference strength of schedule and my suspicion that Murietta would have been something with a decent line. I even pick NAU as a darkhorse in the conference.

HIU 93
August 19th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Sep. 8- WSSU vs. CCU- Interesting to see what the Rams do in Div. I- They actually start against A&T, but that is a rivalry game, so I don't really count that.

813Jag
August 19th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Coastal Carolina@ Del State- If DSU has any playoff plans, they better beat Coastal. If Coastal repeats as Big South Champ and has an 8-3 or 0-2 type season, then a victory over the Chants will be huge is DSU is playoff eligible at the end of the season.

Hampton @ Howard- This game is being played "Where The Bison Roam." The "Battle of the Real HU" rivalry contest has always been close in Washington DC at our Greene Stadium with the last two scores being 17-14 and 22-12, both going into the final minutes. I don't like Hampton, and they're going to lose by alot :D so make sure you're listening or watching that ballgame.

Towson St. @ Morgan St.-Towson is supposed too be legit. Morgan has improved. The game is at Morgan's Hughes Stadium. This game, like the CCU/DSU game is big for our conference.

Southern vs. FAMU- We're better than the SWAC, and we're going to keep beating them. That's all there is too it. We own the MEAC/SWAC Challenge series lead 2-0, and after this game, it'll be 3-0, and we plan on keeping them winless in it for a long long time.
Jacksonville @ Bethune Cookman-There's no reason for BCU to lose to some upstart. The Wildcats will beat them down.
That's the game I'm looking forward to as well. We beat BCU last year and we'll beat the Rattlers this year. I'm also looking forward to the Tennessee State game.

HIU 93
August 19th, 2007, 08:25 AM

Put the pipe down, man. Crack is whack.xlolx

skinny_uncle
August 19th, 2007, 08:38 AM
UNI vs. Iowa State.
This is one of the better shots at an FCS win over a FBS team.