PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Gameday for FCS Title

ncman071
August 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
I really think it would be appropriate if ESPN would consider doing a gameday for FCS at least for our national title game every year. I know there usually isn't another game going on those Friday nights. I don't see why ESPN couldn't do a game day for the highest level of college playoff level football at least that one night a year. If they did do a gameday I would hope that the announcers wouldn't continuously compare FCS with FBS or constantly talk about FBS transfers to FCS like the announcers did during the FCS title the last few years. I would love to see some announcers during our title game that actually know a lot about FCS athletes.

Some people may not really care about ESPN doing a gameday but I just think that it would show a little respect for the FCS. Anyway, what do you all think of this?

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 16th, 2007, 12:34 PM
Sounds like both a no brainer and a pipe dream. Good luck!

DuckDuckGriz
August 16th, 2007, 12:38 PM
There are no bowl games or any FBS games the day of or after so I don't see why not. Only thing is if the title game is on a Friday night ESPN is not going to spend the money to send their game day crew out there when, on the bigger scale, not alot of people tune in to the game in Chatty.

If they did head out there what a huge promotion for FCS it would be. They could broadcast from the Cricket Pavilion and the big tailgate party.

Call me a homer but I think if Gameday came to Missoula for next year's Griz-Cat or something it would be great publicity for FCS (although it's hard to get them west of the Mississippi)

douglasdmb
August 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I really think it would be appropriate if ESPN would consider doing a gameday for FCS at least for our national title game every year. I know there usually isn't another game going on those Friday nights. I don't see why ESPN couldn't do a game day for the highest level of college playoff level football at least that one night a year. If they did do a gameday I would hope that the announcers wouldn't continuously compare FCS with FBS or constantly talk about FBS transfers to FCS like the announcers did during the FCS title the last few years. I would love to see some announcers during our title game that actually know a lot about FCS athletes.

Some people may not really care about ESPN doing a gameday but I just think that it would show a little respect for the FCS. Anyway, what do you all think of this?

That probably would've been perfect for the UNI/ASU championship game two years ago, because there seemed to be somewhat of a balanced amount of fans from each team and the stadium in Chatty was pretty well filled. If the title game continues to get attendance like it has the past couple of years, then ESPN should consider it. But if we see the attendance drop down to around 10K again, then it's probably not a good idea.

Ivytalk
August 16th, 2007, 12:42 PM
Great idea, IF we get Fowler, Corso and Herbstreit instead of the triple-A yabbos we usually get from ESPN.xcoolx

bcrawf
August 16th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Not going to happen.... EVER!!

I think we have almost gotten to the point where we expect too much out of media outlets. They are businesses not charities and while most of us (myself included) love the FCS/IAA, we have to be realistic. If you were running ESPN, FOX or whoever else are you going to broadcast a game between two teams that have maybe 250,000 alumni nation wide or one that has 2 million alumni nationwide. It's not that difficult.

I would love to see more coverage as well, but need to keep it all in view as well...

asu3peat
August 16th, 2007, 01:59 PM
There are no bowl games or any FBS games the day of or after so I don't see why not. Only thing is if the title game is on a Friday night ESPN is not going to spend the money to send their game day crew out there when, on the bigger scale, not alot of people tune in to the game in Chatty.

If they did head out there what a huge promotion for FCS it would be. They could broadcast from the Cricket Pavilion and the big tailgate party.

Call me a homer but I think if Gameday came to Missoula for next year's Griz-Cat or something it would be great publicity for FCS (although it's hard to get them west of the Mississippi)

People might actually tune in if "Game Day" were to market the national title game. I will agree that ESPN won't spend the dough to make it happen because of the lack in size of alumni base. Without a big enough audience, advertising dollars would be hard to come by. That would be awesome to see Corso put on an FCS mascot head!

bluehenbillk
August 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Great idea...I'd love to see it happen.

However, until the game gets anything close to a half-decent rating it'd be hard to sell ESPN on the idea of devoting MORE time to it.

They'll probably tell you they could get higher ratings with extending SportsCenter or showing a early season college hoops tourney.

DuckDuckGriz
August 16th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Also, if Game Day went out there whose to say it wouldn't backfire on us.

The whole time they would make playoff scenarios for the BCS and talk about the Heisman trophy

Jaguar79
August 16th, 2007, 02:20 PM
This was done for FCS two years ago In Houston for the Bayou Classic.

However, I tend to agree with this gentleman ......

I think we have almost gotten to the point where we expect too much out of media outlets. They are businesses not charities and while most of us (myself included) love the FCS/IAA, we have to be realistic. If you were running ESPN, FOX or whoever else are you going to broadcast a game between two teams that have maybe 250,000 alumni nation wide or one that has 2 million alumni nationwide. It's not that difficult.

I would love to see more coverage as well, but need to keep it all in view as well...

appfan2008
August 16th, 2007, 02:35 PM
really wish they would do it but i wouldnt bet on it

GeauxColonels
August 16th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I think Corso would be for it. He's always looking for new people to make an ass out of himself in front of. As for Herbstreit, I think he would consider himself too good for it.

GeauxLions94
August 16th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Great idea, IF we get Fowler, Corso and Herbstreit instead of the triple-A yabbos we usually get from ESPN.xcoolx

Gee, you gave them more credit that I would have. And forget CF, LC and KH ... you would see the shear boredom coming off them since they would not be at a Big 10, SEC, Big 12 venue or Notre Dame xcoffeex

Franks Tanks
August 16th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Gameday was at Penn-Harvard in either 2001 or 2002 cant remember which year, can you help me with that Ivytalk?

skinny_uncle
August 16th, 2007, 09:33 PM

I never thought Gameday would show up at SIU for a basketball game either, but apparently it is in the works for this season.

mvemjsunpx
August 16th, 2007, 09:49 PM

Unfortunately, the announcers from last year's Championship Game (Rod Gilmore & co.) are some of their main commentators who work on some of ESPN's biggest games.

I'd actually prefer "triple-A yahoos" to arrogant jackasses like Gilmore & Kirk Herbstreit.

SUjagTILLiDIE
August 16th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Its funny, the 2 FCS games Gameday attended were teams not in the playoff xlolx xnodx .

Franks Tanks
August 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Its funny, the 2 FCS games Gameday attended were teams not in the playoff xlolx xnodx .

Yes Interesting..I remember that Penn-Harvard game at Franklin Feld. it was done up pretty well. Beano Cook is a longtime advocate of Eastern Football kindy suggested they go to Penn-Harvard instead of another SEC matchup of medium importance that they always seem to be at .

Eaglesrus
August 17th, 2007, 08:45 AM
I don't think this will ever happen, but maybe there would be a slim chance (as opposed to none) if the game was moved back to Saturday. That just gives me the opportunity to start ranting about the game being on #@**$^& Friday night, of course, but I won't, I won't..............

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Gameday was at Penn-Harvard in either 2001 or 2002 cant remember which year, can you help me with that Ivytalk?

It was a dark day in recent Crimson FB history: it was the 2002 Harvard-Penn Game at Franklin Field, and the Crimson got spanked, 44-9.xbawlingx xnonono2x We did beat Yale the following week, but that game knocked us right out of the title chase.

Franks Tanks
August 17th, 2007, 09:09 AM
It was a dark day in recent Crimson FB history: it was the 2002 Harvard-Penn Game at Franklin Field, and the Crimson got spanked, 44-9.xbawlingx xnonono2x We did beat Yale the following week, but that game knocked us right out of the title chase.

I was still a player is 2002 and boy did we get spanked by that Penn team as well. I dont care what anybody says those Penn teams of the early 2000's would have made some noise in the playoffs.

unialum95
August 17th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Great idea...I'd love to see it happen.

However, until the game gets anything close to a half-decent rating it'd be hard to sell ESPN on the idea of devoting MORE time to it.

They'll probably tell you they could get higher ratings with extending SportsCenter or showing a early season college hoops tourney.

Right, but until we get something other than a Friday night game, we're never going to have good ratings.

401ks
August 17th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Hmmm.... While I'm still an observer of the High School football scene, I have to mention that Fox (for one) broadcasts High School games on a regional and national basis. If High School games can be broadcast nationally, I see absolutely no reason that FCS games cannot be nationally broadcast. ESPN Gameday may be too much to hope for in the short term, but cable outlets are scrambling for content.

Our local Cox cable channel is expanding its High School coverage to two games per week this season. It's not a big stretch for me to imagine future coverage of local non-FBS College games in the future. One can always dream!

Franks Tanks
August 17th, 2007, 12:01 PM
Hmmm.... While I'm still an observer of the High School football scene, I have to mention that Fox (for one) broadcasts High School games on a regional and national basis. If High School games can be broadcast nationally, I see absolutely no reason that FCS games cannot be nationally broadcast. ESPN Gameday may be too much to hope for in the short term, but cable outlets are scrambling for content.

Our local Cox cable channel is expanding its High School coverage to two games per week this season. It's not a big stretch for me to imagine future coverage of local non-FBS College games in the future. One can always dream!

Espn 2 televises a few FCS playoff games every year in addition to the championship. Also here in the NE CN8 has quite a few games on regionally, when I got comcast cable from Philly their was a FCS game on nearly every week .

catbob
August 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
What about that new American Channel?