PDA

View Full Version : Sports Illustrated doesn't do "IAA" preview this year

FCS_pwns_FBS
August 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
This might be old news here - sorry if it is.

I was really looking forward to the half of a page that shows their top 25 picks and a brief sentence about each of the top 10. (Hey, it was better than nothing) Also, they are still using the "IA" label, as you might can tell from the thread title. xrolleyesx

At least they have Michigan rated #6, so we'll all be able to laugh when these bigwhig sports analysts are saying "It looks like we overrated Michigan, who has some question marks on defense. The wolverines gave up 28 points and 270 yards rushing to Division II Mountain State" xlolx

Eaglesrus
August 16th, 2007, 02:24 PM
This might be old news here - sorry if it is.

I was really looking forward to the half of a page that shows their top 25 picks and a brief sentence about each of the top 10. (Hey, it was better than nothing) Also, they are still using the "IA" label, as you might can tell from the thread title. xrolleyesx

At least they have Michigan rated #6, so we'll all be able to laugh when these bigwhig sports analysts are saying "It looks like we overrated Michigan, who has some question marks on defense. The wolverines gave up 28 points and 270 yards rushing to Division II Mountain State" xlolx

Yeah, they sent out a survey a while back, and in filling it out I said that I would like to see more coverage of football at levels other than pro and FBS, so now I know how much clout I have. Just waiting for my subscription to expire now.

jonmac
August 16th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Boy, it'd be nice to see that headline in SI. And that's probably exactly what it'd say. But hey, if FCS got the respect that we all think it should what on earth would we ever talk about on these boards?

AggieFinn
August 16th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Man, forget SI, let them do their own thing, I like it when we write about it ourselves. Afterall, we're the ones who actually know something about FCS, those SI reporters have had their heads shoved up their arses about Oklahoma, USC, Florida and Ohio State until David Ball was making his record run. Leave it to true FCS fans.

appfan2008
August 16th, 2007, 02:38 PM
SI is just a major national production that many non fcs fans read and it would make them more aware of our level of football and that is why i wish they did it

bluehenbillk
August 16th, 2007, 02:57 PM
I think many of us that post on these boards have inaccurate expectations as to how many people in the general public are really craving or would read up on 1-AA (FCS) football.

It was posted on this site a number of times about Phil Steele, who has one of the most popular college FB previews including 1-AA next year, but according to his site here's the result:

From Phil Steele Q&A

I am a little disappointed in the turnout for the FCS coverage on the website the last week. I am basically giving away what I feel is the best 1AA or FCS coverage in the country for free on the website and we let all of the FCS schools know about this giveaway. There are only about 850 downloads of each conference so far and If I am only going to sell 850 magazines for the FCS than it would not be worth investing the THOUSANDS of man hours and tens of thousands of dollars needed to print a separate FCS guide. I was thinking there would be a lot more people interested in FCS football.

catamount man
August 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Even a small part of me would like to see Boone upset Michigan.xeekx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

AZGrizFan
August 16th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I think many of us that post on these boards have inaccurate expectations as to how many people in the general public are really craving or would read up on 1-AA (FCS) football.

It was posted on this site a number of times about Phil Steele, who has one of the most popular college FB previews including 1-AA next year, but according to his site here's the result:

From Phil Steele Q&A

I am a little disappointed in the turnout for the FCS coverage on the website the last week. I am basically giving away what I feel is the best 1AA or FCS coverage in the country for free on the website and we let all of the FCS schools know about this giveaway. There are only about 850 downloads of each conference so far and If I am only going to sell 850 magazines for the FCS than it would not be worth investing the THOUSANDS of man hours and tens of thousands of dollars needed to print a separate FCS guide. I was thinking there would be a lot more people interested in FCS football.

Yes. We have an extremely overinflated impression of our self-worth. xeyebrowx xsmhx

jonmac
August 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I just happened to hear Phil Steele on the local ESPN affiliate today. Not an ESPN program, it was the local show. Anyway, most of the call in questions were of course about FBS and Phil was shooting off answers like he had his preview memorized. I'm sure he had it right in front of him to respond quickly. However, the last caller asked about the CAA(station is in Norfolk.) Phil had no idea how to answer until one of his assistants evidentally put the info in front of him. He even said that he couldn't answer without his notes, which he didn't have. He obviously was not expecting a question about FCS. It was after this that he pitched his PAC 10 guide that has his FCS preview in it and also the website with "a few FCS teams". He did admit that it would likely be hard to find the PAC 10 edition on the east coast. Anyway, he still has some work to do to to reach the FCS crowd, it seems to me.

GOAPPS!!!

Mr. C
August 17th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I would hard say that Phil Steele has anywhere close to the best coverage of FCS. The best preseason magazine for FCS has been and still is from the College Sporting News.

bluehenbillk
August 17th, 2007, 06:57 AM
I would hard say that Phil Steele has anywhere close to the best coverage of FCS. The best preseason magazine for FCS has been and still is from the College Sporting News.

We're 13 days away from the season and AGAIN where is this magazine?? Don't get me wrong, I know it's good, but once the season starts many of us don't read them....

TheValleyRaider
August 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM
Flipped through SI's preview, and it's pretty bad, even for FBS. Only the BCS conferences getting any real article space. All the non-BCS conferences are thrown together on the last page of the preview after they named their Top 20 (all BCS) and then gave each of those conferences a full page. I know I shouldn't care as much about them, but now being a TCU student, I have to say I find that a bit insulting to them as well.