PDA

View Full Version : Richmond v. UMass 4 days to go !!!!

Sam Adams
August 27th, 2005, 09:32 AM
UMass @ Richmond under the lights on Thursday night. Time to get pumped up!!! Where are the Richmond fans? You never know quite what to expect from the season opener. UMass should be a good football team this season. Richmond and Stacy Tutt killed UMass last year. He's back but he's playing WR not QB or so it seems. I could see this one going either way.

DTSpider
August 27th, 2005, 10:17 AM
We're here Sam. Actually only a couple of us here. Come join us at www.spiderfans.com if you want to get a better Richmond discussion.

Spider
August 27th, 2005, 02:45 PM
DT is right. Only a couple of us post on this board, but don't let that fool you regarding Thursday night in the Capital City. We plan on being out in force and are looking forward to a good game and improved season.

Umass74
August 27th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I'll be there on Thursday.

I've been to City Stadium four or five times. Always have a good time.

P.S. Will somebody tell Tutt to stay in the pocket... :)

spdram
August 27th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Hope you enjoy your trip down, but not your trip back. :D From all I'm hearing and seeing you may wish Stacey would stay at QB.

Good Luck (beginning Friday).

umassfan
August 27th, 2005, 10:26 PM
Hope you enjoy your trip down, but not your trip back. :D From all I'm hearing and seeing you may wish Stacey would stay at QB.

Good Luck (beginning Friday).
Ill take our D vs a freshman qb anyday of the week.

Spider
August 28th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Ill take our D vs a freshman qb anyday of the week.
That's probably why you'll see Stacy at QB most of the game......

Ram Ball
August 28th, 2005, 11:50 AM
Is that game on national or local TV?

Spider
August 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Is that game on national or local TV?
Not that I am aware ......

Fordham
August 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM
then why the Thursday start instead of a normal Saturday game?

umassfan
August 29th, 2005, 01:18 AM
UMass has scored 50 points in each of their last three openers... Richmond better bring their D.

UMass release (http://umassathletics.collegesports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082905aaa.html)

ChickenMan
August 29th, 2005, 08:15 AM
UMass has scored 50 points in each of their last three openers... Richmond better bring their D.

'02... Central Connecticut St
'03... Central Connecticut St
'04... Delaware St

'05... Richmond

there is a difference... ;)

DTSpider
August 29th, 2005, 10:12 AM

Nobody's around on Labor day weekend. Everyone goes to the beach as it's the last weekend before schools start.

Nights in Richmond are also much more pleasant than mid-afternoons at the end of summer.

Spider
August 29th, 2005, 10:33 AM
[QUOTE=umassfan]UMass has scored 50 points in each of their last three openers... Richmond better bring their D.

We will be there....same group you couldn't control last year.....

Sam Adams
August 29th, 2005, 11:36 AM
I agree with Spider. This is a pay back game for UMass. The Spiders outplayed UMass last season and Tutt just went off on the UMass D. Believe me UMass players have been hearing about that game for weeks. Thursday UMass gets its chance to payback and I think it will be interesting to watch. Although I won't be there and its not on TV. :mad:

GannonFan
August 29th, 2005, 12:26 PM
I agree with Spider. This is a pay back game for UMass. The Spiders outplayed UMass last season and Tutt just went off on the UMass D. Believe me UMass players have been hearing about that game for weeks. Thursday UMass gets its chance to payback and I think it will be interesting to watch. Although I won't be there and its not on TV. :mad:

I'm not sure just the perception of payback is enough to make a difference in a game. Not to smack, but UMass players have to know that the series with UD is horribly slanted toward UD and yet year after year the payback just doesn't get it done. Tutt was a known commodity last year, heck, he's been the main offensive force on that team for years, and UMass couldn't stop him. While UMass boasts about bringing back some many players, so does Richmond. Should be a tough one.

umassfan
August 29th, 2005, 01:45 PM
I'm not sure just the perception of payback is enough to make a difference in a game. Not to smack, but UMass players have to know that the series with UD is horribly slanted toward UD and yet year after year the payback just doesn't get it done. Tutt was a known commodity last year, heck, he's been the main offensive force on that team for years, and UMass couldn't stop him. While UMass boasts about bringing back some many players, so does Richmond. Should be a tough one.

Yes but our run d will be much better this season. That will be the difference in this game.

Fordham
August 29th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Nobody's around on Labor day weekend. Everyone goes to the beach as it's the last weekend before schools start.

Nights in Richmond are also much more pleasant than mid-afternoons at the end of summer. Too bad noone has picked it up, though. I would have loved to have tuned into CSTV or ESPNU to check this out.

I wonder what re-run they're playing that trumped have the opening game of the season that just happened to have 2 teams from the top conference in I-AA playing in it?

CollegeObserver
August 29th, 2005, 02:29 PM
This football hungry CAA fan is driving down from NJ to see the game. Thursday night games are always an "event". Go Spiders!

Fordham
August 29th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Too bad noone has picked it up, though. I would have loved to have tuned into CSTV or ESPNU to check this out.

I wonder what re-run they're playing that trumped have the opening game of the season that just happened to have 2 teams from the top conference in I-AA playing in it?

HA! At the risk of going blind by quoting myself I would like to send out a heartfelt apology to the Furman-Jax St. fans, since I finally checked the CSTV schedule and saw that it's on for Thursday night ... thus, chucking any possibility of a UR - UMASS sighting in my house, but certainly taking away any knock I could have had against CSTV for not playing the UR-UMASS game.

Nice review of the game found ....here. (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/082905aaa.html)

Hoo-ah
August 29th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Here are the Umass game notes:

http://www.collegesports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release

Umass has a lot of new starters listed on the two-deep(two captains not starting); looks like the injury bug hit hard during the preseason camp.

I'll be there to see how the back-ups do chasing around Tutt.

colgate13
August 29th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Dear Richmond,

Please do one of the following:

Beat up on UMass real bad for their September 10th game OR
Roll over nice and early and get blown out so UMass is overconfident.

Whatever you do, don't make it a hard fought back and forth battle where UMass finds themselves and grows as a team!!!!! :)

umassfan
August 29th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Here are the Umass game notes:

http://www.collegesports.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/umas/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/weekly-release

Umass has a lot of new starters listed on the two-deep(two captains not starting); looks like the injury bug hit hard during the preseason camp.

I'll be there to see how the back-ups do chasing around Tutt.
Only two players will be out vs Richmond. One of those two will be back the following week vs Colgate. Shouldnt be that bad.

umassfan
August 29th, 2005, 03:36 PM
HA! At the risk of going blind by quoting myself I would like to send out a heartfelt apology to the Furman-Jax St. fans, since I finally checked the CSTV schedule and saw that it's on for Thursday night ... thus, chucking any possibility of a UR - UMASS sighting in my house, but certainly taking away any knock I could have had against CSTV for not playing the UR-UMASS game.

Nice review of the game found ....here. (http://www.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/stories/082905aaa.html)
That is the same review I posted a few posts up.

Spider
August 29th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Dear Richmond,

Whatever you do, don't make it a hard fought back and forth battle where UMass finds themselves and grows as a team!!!!! :)
We won't be 'rolling over'........

Andy
August 31st, 2005, 08:03 AM

I understand Richmond pushed for the Thursday game because they needed extra time to get ready for Lafayette.

89Hen
August 31st, 2005, 08:17 AM
It's darn tempting to go to this game, but that's not a good time of day for me to be heading through the mixing bowl.

HensRock
August 31st, 2005, 09:13 AM

And so impartial too! :rolleyes:

What'd they lift this right off the UMass website?
Not impressed with this "CSTV" game preview.

bkrownd
August 31st, 2005, 09:22 AM
Some arse scheduled this game to start right in the middle of my noontime volleyball game. grrrr....

saint0917
August 31st, 2005, 11:03 AM
Dear Richmond,

Umass will lose to Colgate only if it snows ;)

DTSpider
September 1st, 2005, 09:25 AM
This game actually was scheduled for October 1 by the A10. Richmond requested to UMass for the game to be moved up to September 1 so that Richmond could have a home game to start the year and so that both teams wouldn't have first week byes.

The decision to move to Thursday night was to hopefully draw a better crowd.

At least that's what was said on the radio here. Looking forward to the game tonight. Only tough part about a Thursday game is that I can't go to tailgate due to work. It'll be a rush just to make kickoff.