PDA

View Full Version : A night game for Harvard

bulldog10jw
August 14th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Ivytalk, how did I miss this:

http://www.thecrimson.harvard.edu/article.aspx?ref=519409

A LIGHT APPROACH

There was some notable excitement at Media Day regarding Harvard’s league opener, a Friday night home affair against Brown on Sept. 21, the first-ever regular season night game in Crimson football history.

“It brings back a lot of high school memories for the kids,” Bears coach Phil Estes said. “It’s just a whole different atmosphere for the game itself. I think any time you can make history and do something that’s different, that’s a great thing.”

Murphy said he plans to try to make Harvard’s home opener a night game every season, alternating between Holy Cross in even years and Brown during odd ones.

“My goal was to try to get every single freshman to come to that game somehow,” Murphy said.

Ivytalk
August 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM
bulldog, mad props to you!xbowx xbowx I totally missed it! What a great idea! Murphy wants the students to become FB fans from year 1, and this is a great way to start!xthumbsupx xrotatehx

bulldog10jw
August 14th, 2007, 10:26 PM
bulldog, mad props to you!xbowx xbowx I totally missed it! What a great idea! Murphy wants the students to become FB fans from year 1, and this is a great way to start!xthumbsupx xrotatehx

I do wonder why Friday night rather than Saturday night. Friday night is a big high school football night in most areas now.

I also want to know....When did you guys get lights?xlolx

ngineer
August 14th, 2007, 10:29 PM
I do wonder why Friday night rather than Saturday night. Friday night is a big high school football night in most areas now.

Yeah, I don't recall seeing lights at Harvard Stadium in 2005...xconfusedx

brownbear
August 15th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I'm assuming they are moving the game to Friday night in order to put it on ESPNU. Last year, Brown had a game at Princeton moved to Friday night for that reason.

Ivytalk
August 15th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Lights were installed as part of a 2-year program of major renovations to Harvard Stadium that started after the 2005 season. Field Turf was put in last season, and the Stadium also has the new lights and a "bubble" that permits year-round use of the field for winter track, FB practices, etc.

Minuteman87
August 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Games have already been played under the lights at Harvard Stadium!
OK, so they were Boston Cannons games this summer (that's professional lacrosse for the uninitiated)

BTW, why does the Harvard athletic department dateline their football press releases Cambridge, when the Stadium is on the Allston-Brighton (Boston) side of the Charles? Still, not as pompous as BC datelining their football releases "Chestnut Hill."

Cleets
August 15th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Games have already been played under the lights at Harvard Stadium!
OK, so they were Boston Cannons games this summer (that's professional lacrosse for the uninitiated)

BTW, why does the Harvard athletic department dateline their football press releases Cambridge, when the Stadium is on the Allston-Brighton (Boston) side of the Charles? Still, not as pompous as BC datelining their football releases "Chestnut Hill."

The stadium being on the wrong side of the Charles river is not of any concern...

02138 baby..!!! xnodx

YaleFootballFan
August 15th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Will we ever see lights installed at Yale Bowl?

Probably not.

Dartmouth and Brown will install lights long before Yale ever does, IMO.

I think we have a better chance of seeing field turf installed at the Bowl. In fact, I could see that happening real soon. Only Brown and Yale still have the natural turf.

bulldog10jw
August 15th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Will we ever see lights installed at Yale Bowl?

Probably not.

Dartmouth and Brown will install lights long before Yale ever does, IMO.

I think we have a better chance of seeing field turf installed at the Bowl. In fact, I could see that happening real soon. Only Brown and Yale still have the natural turf.

Since the Bowl is a National Historic Lamdmark does that restrict what they can do? Since they can add a new scoreboard I would think they could add lights. At least to prevent OT games from finishing in the dark.

Ivytalk
August 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM
Since the Bowl is a National Historic Lamdmark does that restrict what they can do? Since they can add a new scoreboard I would think they could add lights. At least to prevent OT games from finishing in the dark.

Like the H-Y game of '05!;)

As for Field Turf, as former Phillie Richie ("Call me Dick") Allen used to say, "If a horse can't eat it, I don't want to play on it!" But it's the wave of the future.

bulldog10jw
August 16th, 2007, 02:12 PM
There is always somebody that will get upset:

http://www.townonline.com/allston/homepage/x574734410

Harvard University will go before the city’s licensing and entertainment board on Aug. 20 to get approval for its 2007 football schedule, which includes a nighttime game that several residents said rescinds on a previous promise made by the school.

Ivytalk
August 16th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Harvard University will go before the city’s licensing and entertainment board on Aug. 20 to get approval for its 2007 football schedule, which includes a nighttime game that several residents said rescinds on a previous promise made by the school.

More town-gown bullscheit. A night game is a novelty, but it probably won't draw more than 15,000 or so. I predict approval!xthumbsupx

travelinman67
August 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM

Task force member Cathi Campbell said that pro lacrosse and college football are two different things.

“Football caters to undergrads and drinking before. It’s a completely different atmosphere,” she said. “Anyone around for football games knows they have tremendous impact on the community.”

Task force member John Bruno mentioned Boston College’s increased involvement with police, fire departments and neighbors for football games to control traffic and excessive tailgating. An audience member called BC the “model for parking on game day.”

Boston College currently uses assigned on-campus parking and satellite parking lots with shuttle busses to Shea Field. Tailgating is only allowed for three hours prior to kickoff, not after the game, and spectators are not allowed to re-enter the field if they leave.

“It’s a model that’s really eliminated neighborhood problems on game days,” said BC director of public affairs Jack Dunn when reached by phone.

In addition, BC employs 226 police officers and security personnel, which includes Boston, state and Boston College officers, for every game, plus 34 medical response workers and 305 event staff.

Damn football hooligans!xnonox

Methinks Ms. Campbell should move to Ann Arbor.xlolx

bulldog10jw
August 16th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Task force member Cathi Campbell said that pro lacrosse and college football are two different things.

“Football caters to undergrads and drinking before. It’s a completely different atmosphere,” she said. “Anyone around for football games knows they have tremendous impact on the community.”

It's HARVARD for God's sake, not the NFL. xsmhx

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2007, 09:05 AM
It's HARVARD for God's sake, not the NFL. xsmhx

It's also not 44,000 drunken louts at BC!

It's just 15,000 drunken louts at Harvard!:p

bulldog10jw
August 17th, 2007, 10:39 AM
It's also not 44,000 drunken louts at BC!

It's just 15,000 drunken louts at Harvard!:p

I'm guessing only 10,000 drunken louts. Ivy Leaguers are smart enough to have designated drivers.xnodx

Ivytalk
August 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I'm guessing only 10,000 drunken louts. Ivy Leaguers are smart enough to have designated drivers.xnodx

I think the novelty of a night game will attract an extra 5,000 louts!:D

bulldog10jw
August 17th, 2007, 11:13 AM
I think the novelty of a night game will attract an extra 5,000 louts!:D

I should have been more clear. I think the attendance will be 15,000. 10,000 drunken louts and 5000 designated drivers.;)