PDA

View Full Version : NEC Preseason Coaches Poll is out!

Monmouth Fan
August 14th, 2007, 03:24 PM
2007 Northeast Conference Football

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Albany (3)
2. Monmouth (3)
3. Central Connecticut State
Robert Morris (1)
5. Wagner
6. Sacred Heart
Saint Francis (PA)

First place votes in parentheses

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2007/8/14/fb-preseasonpoll07.asp?path=fball

Model Citizen
August 14th, 2007, 04:14 PM
So the NEC champ will not be as good as the Monmouth team that went to the Gridiron Classic last year? xeyebrowx

UAalum72
August 14th, 2007, 04:33 PM
So the NEC champ will not be as good as the Monmouth team that went to the Gridiron Classic last year? xeyebrowx
That was last year, this is this year.

Model Citizen
August 14th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Your Danes couldn't get on the board against Monmouth last year. Will the quarterback switch help?

Dane96
August 14th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Which part of "that was last year" didnt you comprehend?

Who knows...but the offense SHOULD be better.

rmutv
August 14th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Looks about right to me. Monmouth lost quite a bit but you can never count them out.

Dane96
August 14th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Never...can you count Callahan out.

I am not sold on UA's offense. In fact, I think it will sputter for the first three games. The D will have to step up huge.

Against Montana, the D may get tired because I dont think our O will do much. It is not because the O is bad...it is because they are VERY...VERY YOUNG.

The D...is very deep and experienced.

downbythebeach
August 14th, 2007, 07:41 PM

No, more schollie players on each team....we'll improve every year.

Seawolf97
August 14th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Pretty much what I thought the ranking would be. Those top 3 though - anyone could be champ by November.xnodx

BobbyMo
August 14th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I am a little suprised with the one first place vote for Robert Morris. Cant wait to get the season going.

Dane96
August 14th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I am thinking that was St. Francis voting for you guys.

Monmouth Fan
August 14th, 2007, 10:21 PM
What surprises me is that Monmouth was able to garner 3 first place votes even though they lost 9 starters on defense to graduation and a four year starting, school record setting QB to boot! I think it shows how much respect the other coaches in the NEC have for Callahan's program.

Model Citizen
August 15th, 2007, 01:33 AM
No, more schollie players on each team....we'll improve every year.

Or you may simply be spending more money...on people you would've gotten without scholarships. Talk to me in December about improvement.

Seahawks Fan
August 15th, 2007, 07:13 AM
What surprises me is that Monmouth was able to garner 3 first place votes even though they lost 9 starters on defense to graduation and a four year starting, school record setting QB to boot! I think it shows how much respect the other coaches in the NEC have for Callahan's program.

It doesn't surprise me. Never underestimate a Monmouth team coached by Kevin Callahan. They are well prepared and always ready to play. The Hawks did lose a lot to graduation, but we'll see what happens.

I think Wagner begins to turn it around this year with a renewed emphasis on the running game. They became too pass happy the last few years. Back to their roots.

downbythebeach
August 15th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Or you may simply be spending more money...on people you would've gotten without scholarships. Talk to me in December about improvement.

Maybe, but you must admit more schollies = better players

Model Citizen
August 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Maybe, but you must admit more schollies = better players

Beach Man, I don't think there's any such connection. Look at NAIA schools offering 24 scholarships. Their talent doesn't measure up to the upper 2/3 of the PFL.

Now the NEC is offering 30 scholarships, but that money is sliced pretty thin among 85 players, isn't it?

For some schools, going halfway has been a disaster. St. Mary's had 16 scholarships, reported to be $525,600 of a $1.2 million annual budget. Yet they wouldn't have won the PFL most years. I always thought it would've been better for them to drop the scholarships, play a PFL schedule, and attract kids because they were winners. Instead, they overextended their budget and seldom had a winning season (they thought Landis was a god when the Gaels went 6-5). They axed a program that had been to the Sugar Bowl, the Cotton Bowl, etc. What a shame they got themselves into an untenable situation with the Great West and were too dumb/stubborn/proud to go non-scholarship. They would've had Josh Johnson and and a few more wins in the book.

The most I can say is that scholarships can't hurt your talent level. Go for it if you can truly afford it. It's a big step for schools where an equivalency costs 40 grand...especially if you're only doing 30 scholarships in a 63 schollie class.

Model Citizen
August 15th, 2007, 11:52 PM
So what does get better players?

...admission standards as low as the NCAA allows.
...good coaches.
...winning tradition (watch USD v. Northern Colorado and you'll understand).
...facilities.
...scholarships, IF you've got enough for a significant number of full rides. The NEC isn't there. I don't think the Patriot is either.

Model Citizen
August 16th, 2007, 12:02 AM
Oh yeah...academics and perfect weather help.xrotatehx

AZGrizFan
August 16th, 2007, 12:15 AM
2007 Northeast Conference Football

Preseason Coaches Poll

1. Albany (3)
2. Monmouth (3)
3. Central Connecticut State
Robert Morris (1)
5. Wagner
6. Sacred Heart
Saint Francis (PA)

First place votes in parentheses

http://www.northeastconference.org/News/fball/2007/8/14/fb-preseasonpoll07.asp?path=fball

So does this mean that Albany is now NOT considered a patsie for the Griz this year? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

grizband
August 16th, 2007, 12:52 AM
So does this mean that Albany is now NOT considered a patsie for the Griz this year? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx
I was kinda under that impression too. I think we will beat Albany, but I'm not sure it will be as one sided as some people around here.

Dane96
August 16th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Gotta be frank:

I think this one is going to be in the 35-7 variety. Here is why: We play you early on and we are basically installing a whole new offense...and true Soph QB (good pedigree) who barely played last year.

No excuses...just that you guys are supposed to be putting out one of the best teams you have had in recent years. Offenses struggle early season.

Because of that, our VERY VERY GOOD DEFENSE (though we are replacing two guys in NFL camps...one draft pick) will be VERY, VERY TIRED because I think our offense wont be a match for your defense early on.

I think this game later in the year would be 28-10 or 28-14.

I dont think, even if you win big, it will be a roll over, however.