PDA

View Full Version : FCS vs FBS Futures in Question

bluehenbillk
August 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/200111.html

Supposedly the practice of "shopping" for a payday may have consequences.

BisonBacker
August 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
I liked this comment in the article.

While the money is nice, Wyoming now is faced with finding a I-A opponent willing to make a road trip -- which probably will cost any team about $100,000 -- to Laramie in 2009.

"It just shows a lot about the people you're dealing with," Wyoming coach Joe Glenn told the Jackson Hole Star-Tribune. "They had no intention, I don't think, of ever coming out here and playing.

"I've got a new favorite team this season. Anybody who beats Syracuse.
At the risk of beating a dead horse.... Are you listening Montana Schools?????xcoffeex

89Hen
August 14th, 2007, 10:27 AM
At the risk of beating a dead horse.... Are you listening Montana Schools?????xcoffeex
FWIW, Montana outdraws Wyoming by 20% already. A move to I-A would most likely mean even a greater disparity. xtwocentsx

DTSpider
August 14th, 2007, 11:13 AM
It's all about ethics. If you prove to be trustworthy, you'll be ok. I'm sick of BCS AD's who cancel FCS games and then complain 2 years later when an FCS cancels on them. If you have a contract, you stick to it. If for some reason you need to back out of it, you do it ahead of time and give notice to the other school to help them find a game.

HensRock
August 14th, 2007, 11:47 AM
If you don't like it, then negotiate larger buyouts in the contracts.
It's not just a matter of lost revenue for the game, but the time and expense involved with finding a replacement.

Answer = Larger Buyouts.

PMB4Life
August 14th, 2007, 12:43 PM
There are always ramifications for your actions. For what it's worth, the same kind of thing is happening in college basketball, where monolithic "power conference" schools are having to pay some teams as much as 50,000 dollars to come in and get beat. It's scheduling karma at it's finest.

As far as football goes, so what if Youngstown State squeezed over 700,000 dollars out of Ohio State to come into Columbus? That sounds like Ohio State's problem, not YSU's. I guarantee that no matter how this "shopping" thing turns out, FCS schools will not have a lot of problem scheduling money games.

Go...gate
August 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
FWIW, Montana outdraws Wyoming by 20% already. A move to I-A would most likely mean even a greater disparity. xtwocentsx

Colgate played at Wyoming in '83 and it was a great game, won by Wyoming (49-29). I'm sure we'd like to go out there again.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2007, 02:03 PM
[QUOTE=BisonBacker;615597]I liked this comment in the article.

At the risk of beating a dead horse.... Are you listening Montana Schools?????xcoffeex[/Q

Am I missing something here? Did you have a home and home with U of M? I don't know about what the thinking would have been on the Griz's part to do a home and home with a D2 school. I really didn't know that we have a home and home contract with you.

TheBisonator
August 14th, 2007, 02:12 PM

At the risk of beating a dead horse.... Are you listening Montana Schools?????xcoffeex[/Q

Am I missing something here? Did you have a home and home with U of M? I don't know about what the thinking would have been on the Griz's part to do a home and home with a D2 school. I really didn't know that we have a home and home contract with you.

NDSU isn't a D2 school.xoopsx

FargoBison
August 14th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Your right Montana never backed out on NDSU. However, the Griz did decide to play 7 home games this year instead of making the trek to Brookings play SDSU in what was the return trip of a 2 for 1. I also think Montana owes Cal Poly a return trip or two.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2007, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=ursus arctos horribilis;615842]

NDSU isn't a D2 school.xoopsx

NDSU isn't a d2 school now. They were in 2003 when they came here for that game. that's why I was wondering why we would do the home and home with them. As far as a fan I think it would be great to get a home and home with NDSU now as it is a high profile FCS team and would bring a lot of excitement. NDSU probably wouldn't have scheduled a home and home with Carleton College or some other D3 school unless they had to fill a scedule or something.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2007, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=ursus arctos horribilis;615842]

Your right Montana never backed out on NDSU. However, the Griz did decide to play 7 home games this year instead of making the trek to Brookings play SDSU in what was the return trip of a 2 for 1. I also think Montana owes Cal Poly a return trip or two.

well i don't know the particulars on the SDSU thing is but this 2 for 1 just started last year didn't it? I'm sure that this will all come to fruition in the future with them as it would be worth it to have them come back again for the 2nd game. I don't know for sure about the Cal Poly thing either but I do know we have been to SLO a few times all ready. They have came here more for sure but I remember their coach saying in the paper a few years ago that they would like to do more H&H with us but that was not financially feasible or something and that they need to come out here and play as it helped out the profile of Cal Poly to do so.

813Jag
August 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Montana backs out of contracts? xconfusedx I guess we have something in common after all. xlolx

FargoBison
August 14th, 2007, 03:33 PM
[QUOTE=FargoBison;615858]

well i don't know the particulars on the SDSU thing is but this 2 for 1 just started last year didn't it? I'm sure that this will all come to fruition in the future with them as it would be worth it to have them come back again for the 2nd game. I don't know for sure about the Cal Poly thing either but I do know we have been to SLO a few times all ready. They have came here more for sure but I remember their coach saying in the paper a few years ago that they would like to do more H&H with us but that was not financially feasible or something and that they need to come out here and play as it helped out the profile of Cal Poly to do so.

SDSU went to Montana twice and sometime during last season they recieved a buyout check worth $50k for their troubles. Their coach said this, "Montana pulled out, that is disapointing but that is the way they run their program and we are a different program from them."

I don't know a lot about Cal Poly so I won't get into to it.

Kats86
August 14th, 2007, 05:24 PM
Montana doesn't like to go anyplace where they can get beat.

We'll never see them in Huntsville, TX. ever again unfortunately, it was fun having their great program down in our neck of the woods. We had to go up there a couple of times to get one return trip in 04'. We've also been up there a couple of times for playoffs. I think it's sitting at 4 trips to 1 right now.

Away from Missoula, they are mortal... we proved that in 2004. They are awfully lucky NWST upset us in the final two weeks of the season in 04' or they would have had to come back to Huntsville in the Semi Finals for another beating, instead we didn't take care of business, had to go there and take our beating.

They went to the National Championship game, got beat, the rest is history.

SHSU
Go Kats!

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM
[QUOTE=ursus arctos horribilis;615899]

SDSU went to Montana twice and sometime during last season they recieved a buyout check worth $50k for their troubles. Their coach said this, "Montana pulled out, that is disapointing but that is the way they run their program and we are a different program from them."

I don't know a lot about Cal Poly so I won't get into to it.

That is regretable that U of M did that to SDSU. It had to be for financial reasons as I think the economic impact of a Griz weekend is something just over a million dollars for a home game. A 50K buyout seems like a bargain to have another home game. There should have been better negotiating on SDSU's part. there must have been mutual assent for the contract I would assume.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Montana doesn't like to go anyplace where they can get beat.

We'll never see them in Huntsville, TX. ever again unfortunately, it was fun having their great program down in our neck of the woods. We had to go up there a couple of times to get one return trip in 04'. We've also been up there a couple of times for playoffs. I think it's sitting at 4 trips to 1 right now.

Away from Missoula, they are mortal... we proved that in 2004. They are awfully lucky NWST upset us in the final two weeks of the season in 04' or they would have had to come back to Huntsville in the Semi Finals for another beating, instead we didn't take care of business, had to go there and take our beating.

They went to the National Championship game, got beat, the rest is history.

SHSU
Go Kats!

I don't know why every thread that has to do with Montana seems to turn into a smack thread. I was just asking for clarity on if we owed NDSU a home game. We have honored H&H contracts with these teams in the last 7 years:
Maine
Hofstra
Stephen F. Austin
McNeese
Cal Poly
And SHSU

SHSU came here once and we went there once. You came here twice for playoff games. You are a bit misguided to think we should make return trips to Huntsville for coming to Missoula for playoff appearances. I did not check but all of the teams listed above were in the top 20 when we played them. I don't think there was a lot of ducking going on.

Polywog
August 14th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Montana bought out of their return trip to SLO last year, which made scheduling even more difficult for Cal Poly. After two buyouts by the Griz, Poly has decided not to schedule them anymore without having the first game in SLO.

It's too big of an advantage for the Griz to have the Mustangs always have to play them in their house. Poly's program is certainly nowhere near the dynasty they have built in Missoula, but we don't need to keep travelling up there to prove ourselves anymore. I for one would love to have a home-and-home with Montana, but it looks like the only way we'll see them in SLO is at a playoff game. ;)

As was mentioned above, the answer is to have a higher payout amount to minimize the buyout of the return trip, or schedule your own home game to be the first in the series. I can't say I necessarily blame the Griz, or other schools, for excercising their buyout privelidges. That's what the contract gives the teams as an option, after all. It just sucks to be on the receiving end of it.

What does Montana bring in for a home game, maybe $350K? Weigh that against a $50k - $100K payout to play at another FCS school. Travel expenses will chew up alot of that guarantee. Given Montana's financial challeges in recent years, it doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Still, I'd love to see them in SLO. I have nothing but respect for the Montana program.

ursus arctos horribilis
August 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Montana bought out of their return trip to SLO last year, which made scheduling even more difficult for Cal Poly. After two buyouts by the Griz, Poly has decided not to schedule them anymore without having the first game in SLO.

It's too big of an advantage for the Griz to have the Mustangs always have to play them in their house. Poly's program is certainly nowhere near the dynasty they have built in Missoula, but we don't need to keep travelling up there to prove ourselves anymore. I for one would love to have a home-and-home with Montana, but it looks like the only way we'll see them in SLO is at a playoff game. ;)

As was mentioned above, the answer is to have a higher payout amount to minimize the buyout of the return trip, or schedule your own home game to be the first in the series. I can't say I necessarily blame the Griz, or other schools, for excercising their buyout privelidges. That's what the contract gives the teams as an option, after all. It just sucks to be on the receiving end of it.

What does Montana bring in for a home game, maybe $350K? Weigh that against a $50k - $100K payout to play at another FCS school. Travel expenses will chew up alot of that guarantee. Given Montana's financial challeges in recent years, it doesn't come as a surprise to me.

Still, I'd love to see them in SLO. I have nothing but respect for the Montana program.

The price for the cheap seats in the end zones is over $20/game and the seats on the east and west sides are much more than that. In the stadium alone I think the revenue is over a half million/game. I'm not even including the box seats which are astronomical.

JBB
August 14th, 2007, 08:07 PM
They (FBS) arent going to stop scheduling FCS either. The BCS conferences had more FCS games than the non BCS conferences.

Home homes are a trap. Even a high buyout, look at Wyoming, doesnt seem to matter. SDSU has had some luck with them. NDSU was burned by Montana State not University of Montana, UM doesnt owe us a game.

I dont have a problem with a school using the buyout. Its in the contract. If the school granting it doesnt expect it to be used and have a contingency they are kind of nieve. I think you are scheduling weak with the home/home if there is a buyout. I would want it solid.

GSU looks like they might come to Fargo. I dont think there is a buyout for that game.

McTailGator
August 14th, 2007, 08:16 PM
http://www.star-telegram.com/college_sports/story/200111.html

Supposedly the practice of "shopping" for a payday may have consequences.

I personaly think that shopping or cancelling a contract should result in a large financial penalty payable to the screwed school AND forfit.

Why both?

To prevent TV networks from paying off small schools byond a certain date.

JohnStOnge
August 14th, 2007, 08:53 PM
They have to keep scheduling FCS teams. There are now 32 bowl games. That's 64 teams and there are only 119 teams in FBS. If they only play each other, they probably can't produce enough 6 regular season win teams to fill the Bowl slots.