PDA

View Full Version : Do you really think your team has a chance against your FBS foe?

I Bleed Purple
August 14th, 2007, 12:06 AM
I don't. I'm kinda curious to see if anyone does.

In honor of MSU, I guess I should also ask if you think you have a chance to lose your game against sub D1. I don't.

BEAR
August 14th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Yes. La. Tech. New coaches, new formations. But then again after watching UCA practices.....maybe not. xlolx

aggie6thman
August 14th, 2007, 12:21 AM
While San Jose State has made vast imoprovements, I still think that we have a good shot to beat them. Any Given Saturday, right?

slycat
August 14th, 2007, 12:44 AM
Yes. Baylor has to rebuild their offense. New qb, rb, and wrs. Their denfense has good lbs but their good dbs are gone too. we only lost by a td a few years ago to them and that was when our backup qb started his first game.

Ronbo
August 14th, 2007, 01:43 AM
While San Jose State has made vast imoprovements, I still think that we have a good shot to beat them. Any Given Saturday, right?

Get er' dun! San Jose has never lost to a lower division team. It would be a first.

mvemjsunpx
August 14th, 2007, 02:37 AM

I doubt it. SJSU is way better than they were just 3 years ago. They're in the top half of the WAC now.
UC Davis will have a chance, but not a good one.

Brad82
August 14th, 2007, 05:10 AM
Army-yes.

Col Hogan
August 14th, 2007, 05:15 AM
Depending on the pre-season poll you look at, Boston College is Top 20 or higher. Do we have a chance...

I think we have a slim chance...not much more...we'll keep it close...

We do not play a sub-DI team to answer the other question...

Cocky
August 14th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Yes, we are playing Memphis and it isn't basketball.

crunifan
August 14th, 2007, 07:03 AM
Iowa State.

The only reason we didn't beat them last year was we missed a field goal.xsmhx

AmsterBison
August 14th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Hehe, I know NDSU (North Dakota State) hasn't been in FCS that long but even in this short amount of time I think folks have realized that with us Bison fans, the question isn't about having a chance, it's about whether our boys should be the favorites or not.

In my view, NDSU has a chance in their games against Minnesota and last year's MAC champs, Central Michigan, but the guys are not the favorites.

The Minnesota game is going to be a take-no-prisoners war.

CSUBUCDAD
August 14th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Can't see the Bucs keeping up with the pass happy Hawaii Warriors. Should put up a couple of scores but no way we can keep up with an offense that averaged over 400 yards passing per game last year.

Bobcat in NC
August 14th, 2007, 07:16 AM
A&M - Very, very little shot. I think the Cats will keep it close in the beginning, but College Station is just too difficult a venue and A&M is pretty loaded this year. Defensively, MSU should hold their own, but I don't know if they can put many numbers on the board.

Cobblestone
August 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM
Army - possibly. They haven't had much success lately and this will only be the second game under their new head coach who is a head coach for the first time. Hopefully they'll be in such disarray that we can capitalize.

HensRock
August 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Navy, Absolutely.
Delaware is 6-6 against the Midshipmen since 1985, and 6-7 all time. (Navy won the first meeting way back in 1934 or so)

Mountain Panther
August 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
We have a good chance against Iowa State. Lost by a FG last year, we have a better team this year, and it's unclear how Iowa State will take the field under their new coach.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2007, 09:17 AM
A&M - Very, very little shot. I think the Cats will keep it close in the beginning, but College Station is just too difficult a venue and A&M is pretty loaded this year. Defensively, MSU should hold their own, but I don't know if they can put many numbers on the board.

It's going to be HOT HOT HOT in that stadium for both your players and fans xnodx

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 14th, 2007, 09:21 AM
UNC - Hell yeah! It won't be easy, but with the Tarheels and Butch Davis starting soooo many freshman, they will be green. They may be talented, but in football, freshmen take a while to develop into consistent playmakers.

Big matchups:

JMU QB Landers and RB Holloman vs. the UNC D-line. "Best" recruit in the nation will be trying to plug the hole in the center. It sounds like they are solid at DT, but I read on their boards that their DEs don't get much of a rush nor do they tackle well (big let down after Julius Peppers I guess...). If JMU runs some option and bootleg plays, they could give UNC fits.

UNC QB(s) vs. JMU secondary. JMU was nicked up by the time they got to Youngstown, leading to a great performance by the YSU QB in the playoffs last year. Hopefully the experience of those young guys and the return of the injured DBs anchored by senior safety All-American Tony LeZotte will equate to some good plays vs. either of the freshman QBs that UNC plans on using. Apparently, they only have one good WR, all the others are frosh.

Does the JMU nation expect to win? Not really. Do we think it'll be a hell of a game. Absolutely. Butch better have his team ready or it could be an embarrassing debut in Chapel Hill.

GOKATS
August 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Nope- it will be the 'Cats first game under a coaching staff hired since spring ball and Texas A&M is going to be damn tough this year.

PSUVikings
August 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
I doubt it. SJSU is way better than they were just 3 years ago. They're in the top half of the WAC now.
UC Davis will have a chance, but not a good one.

What?xlolx They nearly lost to all the crappy teams they have played last year. Cal Poly, Utah State, you name it

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=23&year=2006

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=23&year=2007

Look at the 07' schedule, they should start our 1-3 or 0-4 if USU pulls what they did to Fresno last year to SJSU. Mark my words mvemjsunpx, SJSU will be in the bottom half of the WAC this season with that schedule.

Anyways yeah my Viks have a chance at beating SDSU.

89Hen
August 14th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Navy, Absolutely.
Delaware is 6-6 against the Midshipmen since 1985, and 6-7 all time. (Navy won the first meeting way back in 1934 or so)
xnodx I'd have to believe there are only a couple I-AA/I-A series that are this close...

Montana/Idaho
AppSt/Wake
YSU/Kent State

Go Bison
August 14th, 2007, 10:13 AM
We have a good chance against Iowa State. Lost by a FG last year, we have a better team this year, and it's unclear how Iowa State will take the field under their new coach.

Good Luck to UNI. Funny how both UNI and NDSU lost to a FBS foe by a missed field goal and that both Iowa State and Minnesota have new coaches this year. This year hopefully UNI and NDSU can make their field goals and ISU and Minnesota might have to get new coaches again! xthumbsupx

GoldandBlack
August 14th, 2007, 10:28 AM
If this was 2006, and Wofford was playing NC State with Hollywood Amato on the sidelines, I'd say we'd have an even chance of beating them.

This year, they do have a first year coach with a new system, but that coach happens to be Tom O'Brien, so I doubt we can take them over 2, or maybe 3, quarters. :(

'Course, we weren't supposed to hang within 7 points of South Carolina last year, so I WILL be at the game, just in case.xnodx

AshevilleApp
August 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
xnodx I'd have to believe there are only a couple I-AA/I-A series that are this close...

Montana/Idaho
AppSt/Wake
YSU/Kent State

I think the AppSt/Marshall series is rather close as well

No way ASU beats a Michigan team in contention for a National Title

UNHWildCats
August 14th, 2007, 10:30 AM
We have Marshall this year and Army next year.... both games are very winnable.

Polywog
August 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
We absoultely have a chance against Idaho. A pretty good chance, IMO.

asu3peat
August 14th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Damn straight, every FCS team has a chance, albeit small. That's why we play the game! Do I think ASU will, NO! In order for us to win, all the stars would have to align and the UM food services would have to give the whole football team food poisoning. Then I'd give us a 50/50 chance!xlolx

Ronbo
August 14th, 2007, 10:50 AM
What?xlolx They nearly lost to all the crappy teams they have played last year. Cal Poly, Utah State, you name it

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=23&year=2006

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teamsched?teamId=23&year=2007

Look at the 07' schedule, they should start our 1-3 or 0-4 if USU pulls what they did to Fresno last year to SJSU. Mark my words mvemjsunpx, SJSU will be in the bottom half of the WAC this season with that schedule.

Anyways yeah my Viks have a chance at beating SDSU.

What????? San Jose was 9-4 in 2006.

Date Opponent Result/Time Record/Tickets TV
September 2 at Washington L 35-29 0-1 (0-0)
September 9 Stanford W 35-34 1-1 (0-0)
September 23 Cal Poly W 17-7 2-1 (0-0)
September 30 San Diego State W 31-10 3-1 (0-0)
October 14 Utah State W 21-14 4-1 (1-0)
October 21 at Nevada L 23-7 4-2 (1-1)
October 28 Louisiana Tech W 44-10 5-2 (2-1)
November 4 at New Mexico State W 31-21 6-2 (3-1)
November 11 No. 14 Boise State L 23-20 6-3 (3-2)
November 18 at Hawaii L 54-17 6-4 (3-3)
November 25 at Idaho W 28-13 7-4 (4-3)
December 2 Fresno State W 24-14 8-4 (5-3) ESPN GamePlan Online
December 23 vs New Mexico W 20-12 9-4 (5-3)

ucdtim17
August 14th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'm pretty confident any homefield advantage of theirs will be neutralized by our fans down there. They'll be playing their home opener after 4 tough road games - it's an easy letdown game. We have a younger team than last year and a new QB, so it's good for us it's game 5. Yes they went 9-4 last year but that's a little misleading - the only team they beat with a winning record was CP and that was 17-7. I'm definitely not going down there expecting to lose and I will be extremely disappointed if we do lose. We're finally playing for something; playing games that count and I expect to see a difference on the field

yorkcountyUNHfan
August 14th, 2007, 11:49 AM

I agree about Marshall but I'm far more concerned about our two other trips down south in September.

saluki_in_ohio
August 14th, 2007, 11:58 AM
I think the Salukis have an excellent chance of beating Northern Illinois this year. Last time we played them it came down to a two point conversion to win the game, and we failed to convert.

The SIU-NIU game will probably be the best attended game that NIU will have at their place, as we will put a lot of alums in the seats, plus NIU was somewhat of a rival to us when we were Division 1-A.

89Hen
August 14th, 2007, 01:00 PM
I don't think you've played them as a I-A, have you?

bosshogg
August 14th, 2007, 01:05 PM
My heart says SCState can beat Air Force and USC

My head says....I hope we can be competitive

MSUfan2010
August 14th, 2007, 01:10 PM
The Missouri State Bears travels up to Manhattan, Kansas to take on the Wildcats. Do I think we have a shot? Of course, nothing is an absolute given. Illinois State took them to the wire last year and almost pulled off the upset. But I do think we will fall.

We also play Division 2 University of Missouri-Rolla who in the past has beaten Division 1 opponents. I don't know much about them anymore but I don't expect to lose to them.

PSUVikings
August 14th, 2007, 01:20 PM
What????? San Jose was 9-4 in 2006.

Date Opponent Result/Time Record/Tickets TV
September 2 at Washington L 35-29 0-1 (0-0)
September 9 Stanford W 35-34 1-1 (0-0)
September 23 Cal Poly W 17-7 2-1 (0-0)
September 30 San Diego State W 31-10 3-1 (0-0)
October 14 Utah State W 21-14 4-1 (1-0)
October 21 at Nevada L 23-7 4-2 (1-1)
October 28 Louisiana Tech W 44-10 5-2 (2-1)
November 4 at New Mexico State W 31-21 6-2 (3-1)
November 11 No. 14 Boise State L 23-20 6-3 (3-2)
November 18 at Hawaii L 54-17 6-4 (3-3)
November 25 at Idaho W 28-13 7-4 (4-3)
December 2 Fresno State W 24-14 8-4 (5-3) ESPN GamePlan Online
December 23 vs New Mexico W 20-12 9-4 (5-3)

Give me one credible win in that season and I'll take it back, someone that wasn't mediocre or a doormat.

poly51
August 14th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Cal Poly has a good chance againt Idaho.

Cal Poly is 2-1 lifetime against Idaho.
Cal Poly is 3-6 against FBS/I-A since going to I-AA in 1994.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 14th, 2007, 01:28 PM
I agree about Marshall but I'm far more concerned about our two other trips down south in September.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Biggest game is the first one -- JMU. Could set the tone for the entire season. I wish Marshall was 1st actually.

Death Dealer
August 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM

No way ASU beats a Michigan team in contention for a National Title
FU is actually 8-4 against NC State.

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 14th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Yup -- especially if we open with a win over JMU.

Death Dealer
August 14th, 2007, 01:43 PM
We had several chances against Clemson in the 80's. We may pull it off this year, but it'll be tough. But hey, they're ranked at the bottom of a weak conference, so xprayx

ucdtim17
August 14th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Give me one credible win in that season and I'll take it back, someone that wasn't mediocre or a doormat.

There wasn't one. They were out first downed 20-14 in their bowl against a bad UNM team that was beat by PSU. They needed a miracle comeback to beat an awful Stanford team at home by one point. They were close against Boise at home, but that's it for respectable showings against good teams. No way are they 9-4 again this year

Ivytalk
August 14th, 2007, 02:21 PM
WHAT FBS foe?xconfusedx xsmhx xbawlingx

Bring back the service academies!xthumbsupx

SuperJon
August 14th, 2007, 02:32 PM
We play Toledo. I think we have a very good chance. I won't guarantee a victory or anything, but I think we have a shot.

89Hen
August 14th, 2007, 02:49 PM
We play Toledo. I think we have a very good chance. I won't guarantee a victory or anything, but I think we have a shot.
I like your enthusiasm, but since 2000:

Toledo 51 - Weber 0
Toledo 44 - Cal Poly 16
Toledo 49 - Liberty 3
Toledo 62 - WIU 14
Toledo 41 - McNeese 7

For some reason, some of the middle of the road I-A's like to pile on I-AA's. They don't call off the dogs as much as bigger programs.

SuperJon
August 14th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I hate using our transfers as an excuse, I really do (read our board and you'll see that), but we've got five guys who have had significant playing time at a higher level (ACC, SEC, Big East) along with two others from ACC programs who have seen some time there. Three of those guys are now captains, and another was a captain last year. We'll go into that game hopefully being undefeated (it's likely) with a ton of momentum. It's fall break weekend so a lot of kids are planning to go to that game. I seriously think we have a shot at playing it close.

Also, how did those other Toledo teams finish? They're picked 3rd in their division (so 5-6 overall).

AshevilleApp
August 14th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I don't think you've played them as a I-A, have you?

Nope, you're right

phillyAPP
August 14th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Nope, you're right

Yes we did a few years ago, when Leftwich was senior. We lost and had some injuries.

Franks Tanks
August 14th, 2007, 05:28 PM

If you had Army this year I would say that you be the faves by about 21 points or so, they are just so terrible. Army would be a slighly above average FCS team at this point

Mountain Panther
August 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
......when we were Division 1-A.

When were you I-A?

Zoo
August 14th, 2007, 05:52 PM
The Missouri State Bears travels up to Manhattan, Kansas to take on the Wildcats. Do I think we have a shot? Of course, nothing is an absolute given. Illinois State took them to the wire last year and almost pulled off the upset. But I do think we will fall.

We also play Division 2 University of Missouri-Rolla who in the past has beaten Division 1 opponents. I don't know much about them anymore but I don't expect to lose to them.

I'm sorry to say this, but no. Kansas State is alot better of a team then when Illinois State faced them. Plus, their sophomore QB Josh Freeman has a year under his belt too. Remember that upset against the Longhorns last year?

CopperCat
August 14th, 2007, 06:39 PM

I don't know if I would say very very little, but the Cats beating A&M is a longshot. A&M has had some questions of their own down there, so I don't think they'll be quite up to snuff compared to last year. MSU will keep it close by virtue of speed on defense. I hope the offense can find some kind of rhythm, as that seems to be our biggest problem the past few seasons.

SO ILLmatic
August 14th, 2007, 08:01 PM
When were you I-A?

Before 1982, as a member of the MVC. When we joined in 82 , the MVC was a hybrid i-a/i-aa conference.

In terms of our game with a FBS opponent this year, Northern IL, I am optimistic towards the game. I'll be able to tell how good our chance will be after the "warm-up" game against Quincy.

Old Montana State Grad
August 14th, 2007, 08:18 PM

In honor of MSU, I guess I should also ask if you think you have a chance to lose your game against sub D1. I don't.

Thanks. Two years ago we lost to Okie State 15-10 and y'all know about Colorado last year and then Chadron. We should handle Dixie this year.

Old Montana State Grad
August 14th, 2007, 08:20 PM
And I guess we have a 50-50 chance going into September against A&M who is coming off the same type of bowl whipping Colorado received two years ago and kind of a weird season overall. Way to venture a guess, huh?

bandit
August 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
I know most folks disagree, but I actually think App. State has a shot against Michigan. Not a great shot, but a shot.

Remember Ball State played a very strong game against Michigan last year, and App. State is probably close to Ball State in overall strength. The Big 10 got hammered in their bowl games last year, and I think they're overrated as a conference.

That being said, it would obviously be a gigantic upset, but still... I think they have a fighting shot.

JohnStOnge
August 14th, 2007, 08:24 PM

My pick for the most likely FCS win over an FBS.

McTailGator
August 14th, 2007, 08:26 PM

In honor of MSU, I guess I should also eask if you think you have a chance to lose your game against sub D1. I don't.

McNeese Plays UL-Lafayette in week 3 after a two week break in front of 10,000 McNeese fans only 75 miles from our home...

UL-Lafayette is our most hated rival and have ducked us for 21 years.

What do you think?

JohnStOnge
August 14th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I was going to say that McNeese over ULL is my pick for the second most likely FCS win over a FBS. I'd say McNeese is a slight underdog to ULL. But very slight.

I look at Cal Poly as the favorite against Idaho.

skinny_uncle
August 14th, 2007, 08:38 PM
Before 1982, as a member of the MVC. When we joined in 82 , the MVC was a hybrid i-a/i-aa conference.

In terms of our game with a FBS opponent this year, Northern IL, I am optimistic towards the game. I'll be able to tell how good our chance will be after the "warm-up" game against Quincy.

The Salukis have a definite shot in this one. We have lost five straight against the Huskies since the last time we beat them (1979). However four of those losses have come by five points or less. We are about due.
xthumbsupx

GSUhooligan
August 14th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I think we will beat Colorado State. Its at the end of the year, so the Hatch Attack will have had time to gel, and from the looks of their messageboard (I know fans aren't indicative of the teams' attitude) they won't be "up" for us, so yeah, I think we'll win.

Bearkats94
August 14th, 2007, 09:29 PM
It's going to be HOT HOT HOT in that stadium for both your players and fans xnodx

Just ask the Montana boys when they came to Huntsville a few years ago. A&M is just 50 miles west of us.xtwocentsx

CopperCat
August 14th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Just ask the Montana boys when they came to Huntsville a few years ago. A&M is just 50 miles west of us.xtwocentsx

xcoffeex

I've been to Texas, and it's just as hot in Montana right now as it is there.

McNeese75
August 14th, 2007, 11:08 PM
xcoffeex

That better be iced coffee if you are going to the game xnodx

igo4uni
August 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
UNI beats Iowa State this year.xreadx xreadx xreadx xreadx

catdaddy2402
August 14th, 2007, 11:45 PM
We had several chances against Clemson in the 80's. We may pull it off this year, but it'll be tough. But hey, they're ranked at the bottom of a weak conference, so xprayx

Furman played Clemson twice in the 80's.

1988 Clemson 23 Furman 3
1989 Clemson 30 Furman 0

2003 was the first time Furman score a TD against Clemson since 1960 (10 games)

Clemson was picked 3rd in their division at the ACC Football Kickoff, and had 8 1st place votes. Hardly picked at the bottom.

It will probably be just like almost every time Clemson and Furman have met since Div I split...a lot tighter than the Clemson fans would like, but never really in any doubt.

CopperCat
August 14th, 2007, 11:57 PM
That better be iced coffee if you are going to the game xnodx

Iced coffee is for pansies. If you're gonna drink coffee, drink it the way God intended it: hot and as black as possible.

Bearkats94
August 15th, 2007, 12:34 AM
We have one thing that is with the heat. Thats HUMIDITY when its 105 and feels like 110-112. It 74 now at 12:30 am and the heat index 90 now. Just what do you think it will be when the sun is out.

GoAgs!
August 15th, 2007, 12:46 AM
I'm pretty confident any homefield advantage of theirs will be neutralized by our fans down there. They'll be playing their home opener after 4 tough road games - it's an easy letdown game. We have a younger team than last year and a new QB, so it's good for us it's game 5. Yes they went 9-4 last year but that's a little misleading - the only team they beat with a winning record was CP and that was 17-7. I'm definitely not going down there expecting to lose and I will be extremely disappointed if we do lose. We're finally playing for something; playing games that count and I expect to see a difference on the field

Wow, some big words Tim! "Extremely disappointed"

Hey, I wish I had as much faith as you. If the Aggies bring a Stanford size crowd to San Jose State, that may give us a decent shot at winning.

Drblankstare
August 15th, 2007, 07:43 AM
The Minnesota game will be good, but i think NDSU missed their chance against gophs. The Central Michigan game should be damn close.

seahawkfan2007
August 15th, 2007, 07:44 AM
Here's my take:
Possible Wins:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
New Hampshire vs. Marshall
Jax. St. vs. Memphis
Portland St. vs. San Diego St.

Outside Shots:
U Mass vs. Boston College
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
Maine vs. U.Conn
No. Iowa vs. Iowa St.
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
NDSU vs. Minnesota
Ill. State vs. Missouri
Deleware vs. Navy
Sac. State vs. New Mexico
JMU vs. North Carolina
E. Ill vs. Purdue
UC Davis vs. San Jose St.

Bobcat in NC
August 15th, 2007, 10:17 AM
xcoffeex

While the temperatures are the same but the humidity in Texas is much, much higher, this will be the first time the Cats have been able to breathe freely since fall ball began. I think the fact that there will be oxygen in the air as opposed to nothing but carbon will be a welcome relief for MSU, all of whom have been smoking about a pack per day for the past week.

While it may be HOT HOT HOT, at least it won't be SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE.

slostang
August 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Not a win by San Jose State, but the Boise State team that went undefeated and had a huge win over Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl had to come from behind late in the fourth quarter to beat San Jose State. Tomey is the best coach they have had in years and I expect San Jose State to be even better this year as more of Tomey's recruits take the field (it is only his third sason at SJSU).

I agree with you that PSU has a good shot at San Diego State, Cal Poly knocked off the Aztecs last year.

Death Dealer
August 15th, 2007, 02:21 PM

1988 Clemson 23 Furman 3
1989 Clemson 30 Furman 0

Clemson was picked 3rd in their division at the ACC Football Kickoff, and had 8 1st place votes. Hardly picked at the bottom.

It will probably be just like almost every time Clemson and Furman have met since Div I split...a lot tighter than the Clemson fans would like, but never really in any doubt.That one poll was kind to them, but two others had them fifth in their division, which puts them somewhere in the bottom four of a mediocre conference (the ACC is pitiful, and Clemson is a major contributor the the overall stench). And I was mainly referring to the fact that we had some of the best coaching (only my opinion here) during that decade that Furman has ever had, and lots of talent too. We should have shown better against them than we did.

I don't think this paladin squad will be able to overcome Clemson this time (we couldn't finish off a very bad UNC last year), but again, we are talking about Bowden here, who can coach himself out of a victory faster than William Perry through a box of Krispy Kremes. I think your overall analysis is correct, it will be close, at least I hope so.

ucdtim17
August 15th, 2007, 03:21 PM

That's about as outside a shot as a game can get. Sac has something like 43 returning players and a new coach.

HensRock
August 15th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Here's my take:
Possible Wins:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
Jax. St. vs. Memphis

Outside Shots:
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
Maine vs. U.Conn
No. Iowa vs. Iowa St.
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
NDSU vs. Minnesota
Ill. State vs. Missouri
Deleware vs. Navy
JMU vs. North Carolina
E. Ill vs. Purdue

Delaware / Navy belongs in your top list. UD is 6-6 against Navy in the last 25 years and 1-1 in the last 5. Certainly worthy of more than an "outside shot".

GeeWiz
August 15th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Navy, Absolutely.

This would be my pick as well.

I think Northeastern will keep it close vs. Northwestern but will lose. The UNH upset win over the NU Wildcats last year ruins any chance of us sneaking up on them.

89Hen
August 15th, 2007, 04:00 PM
The UNH upset win over the NU Wildcats last year ruins any us sneaking up on them.
That was a flat out beating last year. xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
August 15th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Here's my take:
Possible Wins:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
Jax. St. vs. Memphis

Outside Shots:
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
Maine vs. U.Conn
No. Iowa vs. Iowa St.
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
NDSU vs. Minnesota
Ill. State vs. Missouri
Deleware vs. Navy
JMU vs. North Carolina
E. Ill vs. Purdue
I'm a bit disappointed not to see SIU vs Northern Illinois on your list. I think the Salukis have a real good shot in this one.

JBB
August 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Thats a good game for SIU. I really enjoy these matchups.

McNeese75
August 15th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Iced coffee is for pansies. If you're gonna drink coffee, drink it the way God intended it: hot and as black as possible.

xthumbsupx Come drink some of ours, you won't be disappointed :)

fuEMO
August 15th, 2007, 10:06 PM

1988 Clemson 23 Furman 3
1989 Clemson 30 Furman 0

It will probably be just like almost every time Clemson and Furman have met since Div I split...a lot tighter than the Clemson fans would like, but never really in any doubt.

You forgot to include the score of the 2003 game. Clemson 28, Furman 17. Clemson had Whitehurst at QB, Furman had Bo Moore playing in his first season as a starter and Clemson choked bad in the 2nd half.

And in 1996 Furman lost to a very good Clemson team 19-3.

This game will be a hard fought game. Furman and Clemson traditionaly scrimmage 7 on 7. Furman has competed very well and won. This is a winnable game this season, because I think Furman has the best depth they've possibly ever had. Clemson's running game will be the big test. But can Clemson reload on the offensive line? And the big question is how will Furman attack the CLemson defense. Bobby Lamb has a good track record of being very competitive against IA/FBS schools. This Furman team will not be in awe of the Tigers or Death Valley.

Mountain Panther
August 15th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I'm a bit disappointed not to see SIU vs Northern Illinois on your list. I think the Salukis have a real good shot in this one.

Because you're up or they're down? Or both? :D

Pauly LB
August 15th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Cal Poly has a good chance againt Idaho.

Cal Poly is 2-1 lifetime against Idaho.
Cal Poly is 3-6 against FBS/I-A since going to I-AA in 1994.

You know, Cal Poly does have a great opportunity to win against Idaho. The one thing that does bother me about their chances is that Idaho is going to get beaten and beaten badly on September 1st by USC (I wonder what the line is in that game -- 60 points ???). The Vandals will be smarting from an a$$ kicking by USC and will bring their "A" game against Cal Poly. The question is what is the Vandal's "A" game???

JDC325
August 16th, 2007, 08:14 AM

Montana/Idaho
AppSt/Wake
YSU/Kent State

What about YSU and Akron.

JohnStOnge
August 16th, 2007, 05:33 PM
You know, Cal Poly does have a great opportunity to win against Idaho. The one thing that does bother me about their chances is that Idaho is going to get beaten and beaten badly on September 1st by USC (I wonder what the line is in that game -- 60 points ???). The Vandals will be smarting from an a$$ kicking by USC and will bring their "A" game against Cal Poly. The question is what is the Vandal's "A" game???

Another way to look at it is that, if Idaho gets swamped real bad by USC as expected, the Vandals' confidence might be shattered. Might be that the worst scenario is if Idaho loses to USC by something like 35 - 7 and comes away feeling that it played well.

JohnStOnge
August 16th, 2007, 05:37 PM
What about YSU and Akron.

Don't know if "close" is the word. If I'm counting right, YSU is 6-2-1 against Akron since the Zips moved to I-A in 1987.

JohnStOnge
August 16th, 2007, 05:50 PM
While the temperatures are the same but the humidity in Texas is much, much higher, this will be the first time the Cats have been able to breathe freely since fall ball began. I think the fact that there will be oxygen in the air as opposed to nothing but carbon will be a welcome relief for MSU, all of whom have been smoking about a pack per day for the past week.

While it may be HOT HOT HOT, at least it won't be SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE.

At this time...just before I wrote this post...the temperature according to Weather.com at College Station is 84 while that in Bozeman is 83. However, the humidity at College Station is 85% while that at Bozeman is 24%.

It makes a big difference. I spent last Friday through this past Tuesday in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The temperatures during the day were about the same as they typically are in Louisiana during the summer. But it felt much better.

Now...there's a limit to that. I was in Scottsdale a few years back in August and the temperatures were like 120 degrees. Humidity or no humidity, that was HOT.

skinny_uncle
August 16th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Because you're up or they're down? Or both? :D
We lost to them by one point the last time we played on a dropped pass on a two-point conversion. Our top running back may have graduated, but so did theirs. After beating the Hoosiers last year, I think we have a pretty good shot against the Huskies. The Gateway to the MAC is not that big of a jump.

McTailGator
August 16th, 2007, 09:58 PM
xcoffeex

Dude,

I work in Montana a lot and live in Houston.

It was 107 with 69% humidity and no clouds in Houston.

Heat index was 140 degrees in the sun.

I run my heat stress calculator for my employees in both places everyday.

There is an average Heat Index difference of about 45 degrees nearly every day.

HUMIDITY IS ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD.

CopperCat
August 16th, 2007, 10:00 PM
At this time...just before I wrote this post...the temperature according to Weather.com at College Station is 84 while that in Bozeman is 83. However, the humidity at College Station is 85% while that at Bozeman is 24%.

It makes a big difference. I spent last Friday through this past Tuesday in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The temperatures during the day were about the same as they typically are in Louisiana during the summer. But it felt much better.

Now...there's a limit to that. I was in Scottsdale a few years back in August and the temperatures were like 120 degrees. Humidity or no humidity, that was HOT.

I'll bring in elevation though. Bozeman is at 4480 approximately, College Station is MUCH lower. That will help us.

CopperCat
August 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Dude,

If I can work out in the sun for hours on end in Alabama/Texas, then a bunch of very physically fit football players can sure as hell do it too.

HI54UNI
August 16th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Here's my take:
Possible Wins:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
Jax. St. vs. Memphis

Outside Shots:
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
Maine vs. U.Conn
No. Iowa vs. Iowa St.
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
NDSU vs. Minnesota
Ill. State vs. Missouri
Deleware vs. Navy
JMU vs. North Carolina
E. Ill vs. Purdue

Move this one to the top.

McNeese75
August 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM
If I can work out in the sun for hours on end in Alabama/Texas, then a bunch of very physically fit football players can sure as hell do it too.

Sure they can, AFTER they get acclimated (which takes about a week)

GOKATS
August 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Dude,

xthumbsupx I've said on many boards that the humidity factor, with the heat is a killer. I went to the game in '88 when the 'Cats played the Gators. Heat is one thing, the heat/ humidity thing is something that Montana doesn't have and you can't prepare for. Hot/humid simply sucks the air right out of your lungs and if you're not acclimated to that you suffer.

GOKATS
August 16th, 2007, 11:12 PM
I'll bring in elevation though. Bozeman is at 4480 approximately, College Station is MUCH lower. That will help us.

Just numbers, but 4480 is about the elevation of the airport some eight miles from Bozeman. Bozeman is more in the 4700-4900 foot elevation with the campus (where the 'Cats practice) being right at 4900'.

Helps somewhat going to lower elevations (makes a big difference in similar climate conditions) , but the 'humidity' factor, which Montana doesn't have, is the killer.

GeauxLions94
August 17th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Possible
SLU over New Mexico State and/or Tulane

Hey ... pigs could fly xhomerx

Lionsrking
August 17th, 2007, 03:26 AM
Possible
SLU over New Mexico State and/or Tulane

Hey ... pigs could fly xhomerx

We'll have our hands full with NM State's offense but we'll take a much better team to Las Cruces this year than what we took over there last year. Both teams will be improved and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think Tulane may be vulnerable. They have QB issues and have to replace some guys on defense. We battled them toe-to-toe in 2005 and I see no reason why we can't compete with them again in '07.

nmatsen
August 17th, 2007, 08:22 AM
We lost to them by one point the last time we played on a dropped pass on a two-point conversion. Our top running back may have graduated, but so did theirs. After beating the Hoosiers last year, I think we have a pretty good shot against the Huskies. The Gateway to the MAC is not that big of a jump.

In more than half the cases the Gateway to the Mac is actually kind of a fallxsmiley_wix

Upper Gateway > Lower Mac

I believe that three teams every year from the Gateway would finish in the top half of the MAC Conference.

X-Factor
August 17th, 2007, 09:47 AM
Dude,

The Bison have played in the south quite a bit in the last few years. (Thanks for the games Southland xthumbsupx ) We have never had a problem with heat or humidity and all of the games have been played in early September when it is baking down there. In fact, the home team is almost always the one to have heat issues if there is a problem.

McNeese75
August 17th, 2007, 10:10 AM
We'll have our hands full with NM State's offense but we'll take a much better team to Las Cruces this year than what we took over there last year. Both teams will be improved and it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

I think Tulane may be vulnerable. They have QB issues and have to replace some guys on defense. We battled them toe-to-toe in 2005 and I see no reason why we can't compete with them again in '07.

It is time the Lions take down one of those two xnodx

ucdtim17
August 17th, 2007, 12:52 PM
The Bison have played in the south quite a bit in the last few years. (Thanks for the games Southland xthumbsupx ) We have never had a problem with heat or humidity and all of the games have been played in early September when it is baking down there. In fact, the home team is almost always the one to have heat issues if there is a problem.

We definitely had a problem at SFA two years ago. Grant had to sit out with cramps when we were either coming back or holding onto a lead, I can't remember which. Either way, it pretty much cost us the game. It was surprising for us, as it's hot as balls here in august and september and it still affected us.

HensRock
August 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I think JMU over North Carolina is the most likely.

I took a look at FCS vs. FBS matchups using last season's Sagarin Ratings. In 4 games, the FCS would actually be favored. Here are the top 10 from a likey FCS victory standpoint:

DATE FCS VS. FBS FCS SR FBS SR SPREAD
9/1 James Madison North Carolina 69.81 60.58 -7.29
9/8 Cal Poly Idaho 57.62 50.68 -5
9/15 New Hampshire Marshall 65.97 61.56 -2.47
9/22 Portland State San Diego State 63.38 60.22 -1.22
9/8 No. Iowa Iowa State 63.14 64.07 2.87
9/22 N. Dakota State Central Michigan 69.82 71.94 4.06
9/15 McNeese State La-Lafayette 50.25 54.58 6.27
9/8 So. Illinois No. Illinois 62.14 67.02 6.82
9/8 Maine Connecticut 62.25 67.39 7.08
9/15 Jacksonville State Memphis 51.08 57.1 7.96

JMU2K_DukeDawg
August 17th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Here's my take:
Possible Wins:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
Jax. St. vs. Memphis

Outside Shots:
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
Maine vs. U.Conn
No. Iowa vs. Iowa St.
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
NDSU vs. Minnesota
Ill. State vs. Missouri
Deleware vs. Navy
JMU vs. North Carolina
E. Ill vs. Purdue

Here's my revision of the above (plus a game or two):

Possible Wins:
*NDSU vs. Minnesota
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
*Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
*JMU vs. UNC
*Delaware vs. Navy
Maine vs. UConn
UNI vs. Iowa St.
PSU vs. San Diego St.

Outside Shots:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
*U Mass vs. Boston College
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
*Jax. St. vs. Memphis
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
Northeastern vs. Northwestern
Ill. State vs. Missouri
E. Ill vs. Purdue
SIU vs. NIU

*denotes that I think are most likely to win

I think FCS had 7 wins in 2006. Timing and schedule and opponent matchups are everything. I think we have a shot at another 6-7 wins, but it will take some work. Overall, while FCS may not win as many, I think many games will be closer than usual.

bostonspider
August 17th, 2007, 02:48 PM
If this were last year I would definitely think that JMU would have a great chance of taking down UNC. But, with JMU having to break in a new QB, I think the main advantage that JMU has of experience gets lessened. But look at how JMU handled UR easily last year, and UR handled Duke easily as well. UNC got luckily to beat Duke last year by a point when the Blue Devils missed a PAT. So it could definitely happen. As to UR this year against Vandy, I think it will be very hard to leave Nashville with a win. The SEC is way better than the ACC, and UR has lost too much defense from last years team.

Lionsrking
August 17th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Possible Wins:
*NDSU vs. Minnesota
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
*Cal Poly vs. Idaho
McNeese St. vs. La-Laff.
*JMU vs. UNC
*Delaware vs. Navy
Maine vs. UConn
UNI vs. Iowa St.
PSU vs. San Diego St.

Outside Shots:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
*Jax. St. vs. Memphis
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
Ill. State vs. Missouri
E. Ill vs. Purdue
SIU vs. NIU

I think FCS had 7 wins in 2006. Timing and schedule and opponent matchups are everything. I think we have a shot at another 6-7 wins, but it will take some work. Overall, while FCS may not win as many, I think many games will be closer than usual.

I think we at least have a possible shot to beat Tulane and we'll be competitive with New Mexico State.

seahawkfan2007
August 17th, 2007, 04:57 PM
Looks good. I think UNH has a better shot at beating Marshall than Deleware does Navy (Del. may be down a little this year) but hope they both win. Missed YSU vs. Akron earlier, they should almost be a favorite.

NashMoc
August 17th, 2007, 05:04 PM
Chattanooga at Arkansas

No way the Mocs will pull this one off. I am just hoping that Jones and McFadden don't go for 300 yards on us.

McDABest
August 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Possible Wins:
*NDSU vs. Minnesota
NDSU vs. Cent. Mich.
*Cal Poly vs. Idaho
*McNeese St. vs. La-Laff
*JMU vs. UNC
*Delaware vs. Navy
Maine vs. UConn
UNI vs. Iowa St.
PSU vs. San Diego St.

Outside Shots:
Texas St. vs. Baylor
No. Ariz vs. Arizona
*Jax. St. vs. Memphis
Grambling vs. La-Monroe
Ill. State vs. Missouri
E. Ill vs. Purdue
SIU vs. NIU

You forgot to put a star by the McNeese @ U.S.Hell. game. :D

catdaddy2402
August 18th, 2007, 01:29 AM
You forgot to include the score of the 2003 game. Clemson 28, Furman 17. Clemson had Whitehurst at QB, Furman had Bo Moore playing in his first season as a starter and Clemson choked bad in the 2nd half.
Remember it well. That was when Tommy was trying to make a power running team out of a squad recruited for running the spread offense. Furman scored 10 in the 4th quarter to make it closer than it really was as they were outgained 425 to 174. Whitehurst attempted something like 11 passes in the second half, not something you typically see when a game is in doubt, and the 4th qtr FG by Furman was set up by yet another outstanding 8 yard punt by Cole Chason. Clemson was up 28-7 at the half, and Aaron Hunt missed two easy FGs in the second half. Make those and it's 34-17.

And in 1996 Furman lost to a very good Clemson team 19-3.
A 7-5 Clemson team that lost to UNC 45-0 the week before, and 38-24 to Missouri the next game. You'll be hard pressed to find a Clemson fan that would use the term "very good Clemson team" for any of Tommy West's teams at Clemson.

As I said earlier, it will likely be like every other Clemson-Furman game since the Division split....closer than the Clemson folks would like but never really in any doubt.

Pantherpower
August 18th, 2007, 05:33 AM
I'm sorry to say this, but no. Kansas State is alot better of a team then when Illinois State faced them. Plus, their sophomore QB Josh Freeman has a year under his belt too. Remember that upset against the Longhorns last year?

Good point, Zoo. However, in 1992, UNI went down to Ames and hammered Iowa State 27-10. About 5 weeks later, ISU shocked the Big 8 and country when they upset then #5 Nebraska 19-10 at home. As you know, some crazy stuff can happen in this great game.

Death Dealer
August 18th, 2007, 09:22 AM
A 7-5 Clemson team that lost to UNC 45-0 the week before, and 38-24 to Missouri the next game. You'll be hard pressed to find a Clemson fan that would use the term "very good Clemson team" for any of Tommy West's teams at Clemson.

As I said earlier, it will likely be like every other Clemson-Furman game since the Division split....closer than the Clemson folks would like but never really in any doubt.

You'd be hard pressed to find a Clemson fan that will admit that they don't have a shot at the ACC title every freaking year! I live up here and it's the same old ***** every year. We have to listen to all the BS about how they are gonna have a great year, and then all the bellyaching and B!tching when they suck and blow it (as they always do). And yet, you can't stir them with a stick on gameday, I guess you have to admire fan loyalty if nothing else (and I mean nothing else).

Oh yeah, and catdaddy, if you didn't notice, this is an FCS website. I'm sure that Clemson has a great fansite where you can wax eloquent about the greatness of Clemson. Why don't you take your FBS bias over there.