PDA

View Full Version : Hofstra Opens Camp...Finally

Uncle Buck
August 13th, 2007, 09:45 AM
http://www.hofstra.edu/Athletics/Football/ath_fb_gameresult.cfm?gameID=59D3C87E-65B3-F1F2-613FD1B856E54538

Hofstra Finally opened camp and what a light schedule. Did the NCAA ban consecutive days of two-a-days? I remember being in camp and having two practices every day up until the week before our first game.

UAalum72
August 13th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Conflict with Jets training? I've think Albany is only having two-a-days when the Giants don't practice at all.

OL FU
August 13th, 2007, 11:03 AM
It's long island right, vacation is not over in the Hampton's until after labor day:D

Ivytalk
August 13th, 2007, 03:11 PM
This is a bit off-topic, but how did the "Flying Dutchmen" become the "Pride"? Was there a protest by the Netherlands Anti-Defamation League?:p

WMTribe90
August 13th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Hofstra Finally opened camp and what a light schedule. Did the NCAA ban consecutive days of two-a-days? I remember being in camp and having two practices every day up until the week before our first game.

I believe teh NCAA did limit the total number of two-a-days a team can have in the preseason a few years back after the rash of player deaths, including Corey Stringer. I agree the practice schedule are a lot softer now than "back in the day".

Franks Tanks
August 13th, 2007, 08:43 PM
http://www.hofstra.edu/Athletics/Football/ath_fb_gameresult.cfm?gameID=59D3C87E-65B3-F1F2-613FD1B856E54538

They did you cant have consecutive 2 a day practices anymore, you must go 2-1-2-1 etc. These kids really do have it easy these days xlolx

jessesd
August 14th, 2007, 08:17 AM
This is a bit off-topic, but how did the "Flying Dutchmen" become the "Pride"? Was there a protest by the Netherlands Anti-Defamation League?:p

There were some complains that "The flying Dutchmen" was a slave ship and this offended some very sensitive individuals (I blame that on dumb and Dumberer!! Aka Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton .. that was the rumor at the time!) Of course the school caved in under the political corretness pressure/crap!!! I was doing my exchange program at Erasmus University-Rotterdam in the Netherlands shortly after this happened and most of my Dutch classmates were not happy about Hofstra's decision to drop the moniker and agreed with many of us that it was just plain stupid the reason for the change. For over a year we were without mascot/moniker and the pride just came out of desperation as the alumni association rallyied behind the "Hofstra Pride"

jessesd
August 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
It's long island right, vacation is not over in the Hampton's until after labor day:D

as long as we dress in white until Labor day we can still train.... those are the rules of the Island!!!xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Uncle Buck
August 16th, 2007, 02:03 PM
There were some complains that "The flying Dutchmen" was a slave ship and this offended some very sensitive individuals (I blame that on dumb and Dumberer!! Aka Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton .. that was the rumor at the time!) Of course the school caved in under the political corretness pressure/crap!!! I was doing my exchange program at Erasmus University-Rotterdam in the Netherlands shortly after this happened and most of my Dutch classmates were not happy about Hofstra's decision to drop the moniker and agreed with many of us that it was just plain stupid the reason for the change. For over a year we were without mascot/moniker and the pride just came out of desperation as the alumni association rallyied behind the "Hofstra Pride"

Yes and no from what i understand. Back in the early 90's they started using the term "Hofstra Pride," as in pride in the university. The saying had been around for some time, but it was my understanding that the Flying Dutchmen name was not fitting for the women's teams (Lady Ducth). Therefore they looked for a more suitable name. We have had a lion and lioness as mascots for as long as i remember, therefore pride now caried two meanings...you get the picture. A lot of alumni that i speak to hate the name change and rally behind the the battle cry, "Pride Never, Dutch Forever!"

I prefer the Fyling Dutchman which also happened to be a mystical pirate ship. In the end, Pride stinks. xtwocentsx

bluehenbillk
August 16th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Hey UB, whats the QB situation up there. There is a local guy Savage who transferred from Wisconsin that I know is on the Island.

His little brother is a high-school junior & is rated as one of the top QB's in the country.