PDA

View Full Version : 2007 FCS Strength of Schedules from NCAA

MACHIAVELLI
August 12th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Read it and weep.

NCAA Strength of Schedule 2007 (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_future.pdf)

Top 10
Brown
Bucknell
Calpoly
Sac. St.
Cen. Conn. St.
E. Wash.
Citadel
Colegate
Columbia
Cornell

Bottom 10
W. Carolina
W. Illinois
W. Kent.
W&M
Yale
Youngstown
Elon
Garner-Webb
Appalachian
Bethune Cookman

AZGrizFan
August 12th, 2007, 11:51 AM
That list makes NO sense. xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

HensRock
August 12th, 2007, 12:01 PM
You are correct. This list makes no sense. It says it is sorted on Future opposition, when there is NO DATA for future opposition. Look at the numbers, this list isn't sorted at all. It appears roughly alphabetical but with lots of things jumbled up.

The Cats
August 12th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Very misleading title to this thread.......
xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xnonox xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix

CSUBUCDAD
August 12th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Seems they even forgot the Charleston Southern has a team. They aren't even listed.

CrazyCat
August 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Just for comparison. Non-conference schedule

Sac St. #4
Fresno State, New Mexico, UC Davis

Eastern Washington #6
Montana Western, UC Davis, BYU

CrazyCat
August 12th, 2007, 12:36 PM
1.Brown
Duquesne, Rhode Island, Holy Cross

101. Yale
Georgetown,Lehigh,Holy Cross

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????

Old Montana State Grad
August 12th, 2007, 12:47 PM
One could probably surmise someone from the Patriot League compiled this farce--I'm sorry, rankingxlolx

grizband
August 12th, 2007, 01:12 PM
I really have no idea how Southern Utah was left out of the top 10. xsmhx They play an all Division I schedule, and play some of the most difficult FCS teams, many on the road. I know this has been posted before, but here it is one more time (last year's record in parenthesis, *denotes 2006 FCS playoff team).

Southern Utah 2007 schedule
09/01 @Montana* (11-2)
09/08 North Dakota
09/15 Southern Illinois* (9-4)
09/22 McNeese State* (7-5)
10/06 @Montana State* (8-5)
10/13 @Youngstown State* (11-3)
10/20 UC Davis (6-5)
10/27 @North Dakota State (10-1)
11/03 Cal Poly (7-4)
11/10 @South Dakota State (7-4)
11/17 @Northern Iowa (7-4)

That is one impressive road schedule, with the team playing at a few top 25 I-AA stadium! xeekx If Southern Utah goes .500, I would call it a success.

Hammersmith
August 12th, 2007, 01:36 PM
#1. The date at the top-right says Jan 10, 2007.
#2. The top-left corner reads: "Data Valid Thru: 08-Jan-07"

I wouldn't read a whole lot into this thing. It's probably just a formatting document that will be updated just before or just after the season starts.

In fact, I don't even think the doc was initialy sorted. I think someone(s) in the NCAA offices decided to get half the work for the 2007 SOS over early by collecting all the data for the 2006 season(the Past Opposition columns). Since that data has no meaning without the 2007 schedules(the New Opposition columns), s/he decided to not bother sorting the document until later. Since much of the data s/he used probably came from an alphabetical list, most of the list remains in that format.

Since no data has been entered for the 2007 schedule, the link you want to use for now is:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_past.pdf
That link sorts by the past opposition. Youngstown St wins.

catamount man
August 12th, 2007, 02:03 PM
WCU plays at Alabama and at Georgia within the first 3 weeks of the season. HANDS DOWN the toughest stretch for any FCS team.

GO CATS!!!

DFW HOYA
August 12th, 2007, 02:12 PM
This list too seems flawed. Six of Georgetown's opponents rate in the top 20 in strength of schedule, yet Georgetown is 91st overall.

Doesn't add up.

Hammersmith
August 12th, 2007, 03:18 PM
This list too seems flawed. Six of Georgetown's opponents rate in the top 20 in strength of schedule, yet Georgetown is 91st overall.

Doesn't add up.

Remember, this list only has data from the 2006 season entered so far. None of the upcoming 2007 season is part of the calculation. Last year, Georgetown had three opponents in the top 20; Lehigh, Lafayette and Colgate. Furthermore, this ranking is only based on your opponents' records. It's not like the basketball RPI, which includes your opponents' opponents' records and also your own. There's also no correction built in for home vs. away. It's very possible for a team to have a lousy SOS on this list while all its opponents are highly ranked. (Ex. Team A plays Teams 1-11. Teams 1-11 all play teams with winning schedules and lose. Since Teams 1-11 played opponents that won most of their games, they have high SOS's, yet because they lost most of their games, Team A's SOS is in the tank. This scenario is one reason the BB RPI takes other factors into account.)

Again, none of these lists mean anything about the 2007 season until the data for the new season is entered.

WUTNDITWAA
August 12th, 2007, 03:29 PM
WCU plays at Alabama and at Georgia within the first 3 weeks of the season. HANDS DOWN the toughest stretch for any FCS team.

GO CATS!!!

I would say that Western has one of, if not the toughest FCS schedule out there. Road games at Alabama, Eastern Kentucky Georgia Georgia Southern and Appalachian. xeekx

Cocky
August 12th, 2007, 05:13 PM

GO CATS!!!
It has interdivision listed maybe they meant intersubdivision and those two games against UAT at UGA don't count?

skinny_uncle
August 12th, 2007, 05:20 PM
#1. The date at the top-right says Jan 10, 2007.
#2. The top-left corner reads: "Data Valid Thru: 08-Jan-07"

I wouldn't read a whole lot into this thing. It's probably just a formatting document that will be updated just before or just after the season starts.

In fact, I don't even think the doc was initialy sorted. I think someone(s) in the NCAA offices decided to get half the work for the 2007 SOS over early by collecting all the data for the 2006 season(the Past Opposition columns). Since that data has no meaning without the 2007 schedules(the New Opposition columns), s/he decided to not bother sorting the document until later. Since much of the data s/he used probably came from an alphabetical list, most of the list remains in that format.

Since no data has been entered for the 2007 schedule, the link you want to use for now is:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_past.pdf
That link sorts by the past opposition. Youngstown St wins.
This list does make more sense. The Ohio State game probably shot the Penguins to the top.

walliver
August 12th, 2007, 05:27 PM
I would say that Western has one of, if not the toughest FCS schedule out there. Road games at Alabama, Eastern Kentucky Georgia Georgia Southern and Appalachian. xeekx

Their strength of schedule is probably helped by the fact that they don't have to play themselves:D (I know this isn't the smack forum, but ... the devil made me do it.)

You would think that App playing Michigan would help their strength of schedule. But, since when has anyone expected anything rational from the NCAA main office.:D

UncleSam
August 12th, 2007, 06:17 PM
You would think that App playing Michigan would help their strength of schedule. But, since when has anyone expected anything rational from the NCAA main office.:D

It does, but the bottom half of the SoCon drags it down, way down.

MACHIAVELLI
August 12th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Past Schedules
Top 10
Youngstown
Northeastern
Mass.
Yale
Appalachian
Maine
Ga. Southern
Dartmouth
San Diego
Harvard

Bottom 10
Jacksonville St.
Weber
Holy Cross
Sam Houston
Idaho St.
Nicholls St.
Northwestern St.
Marist
Duquesne
Texas St.

Past Schedules (http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/2007/Internet/toughest%20schedule/iaa_9games_past.pdf)

HensRock
August 12th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Guys. There is no ranking. There is no data. THese teams are listed in RANDOM order. Please stop looking into this list. There is no 2007 data in it. Even the previous opponents ranking is done with last year's results BASED ON LAST YEAR'S SCHEDULE. The NCAA site has not been updated with 2007 team, schedule, or roster information yet.

JUST STOP!!!!!