PDA

View Full Version : NWST - Scrimmage #1

TexasTerror
August 11th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Scrimmage #1 for the Demons goes to the Purple Swarm. The Demons are really not at the top of the conference preseason polls as they have been before, but Stoker's bunch will not back down...

Defense takes charge, despite two long TDs, in first scrimmage
8/11/2007
FOOTBALL: Three touchdowns scored, but Coach Stoker gives the Purple Swarm defense the upper hand in the two-hour scrimmage; stats follow story below

NATCHITOCHES — A 95-yard kickoff return by Dudley Guice, a 64-yard touchdown strike from Drew Branch to Jasper Edwards and 124 all-purpose yards from true freshman Jeremy Jefferson Saturday morning were highlights in the first fullscale scrimmage of preseason football camp at Northwestern State.

Sophomore safety Gary Riggs had six tackles and a sensational effort to force a fumble, leading the Purple Swarm defense, which head coach Scott Stoker said clearly had the upper hand during the two-hour, 100-play scrimmage at Turpin Stadium.

The first of three major preseason scrimmages was the 10th workout this month by the Demons, who kick off their 100th year of intercollegiate football competition with two home games, Sept. 1 against Henderson State and Sept. 8 against Southland Conference newcomer Central Arkansas.

http://www.nsudemons.com/story.asp?ID=3060

McNeese75
August 11th, 2007, 11:03 PM
How did the defense have their way with the offense putting up the numbers it did? xconfusedx

lambertjr
August 12th, 2007, 06:44 AM
They only gave up 3 "O" scores in 100 plays(1 was a FG). Gave up a bunch of yards but not points.
I can live with that.

Tilldog40
August 12th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Any Northwestern St. fans coming up to NU this fall?

Seat16Demon
August 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM
How did the defense have their way with the offense putting up the numbers it did? xconfusedx

Even though the defense gave up a big pass play and the special teams a kickoff return, the defense looked real good. I think these stats are telling:

Sacks
Neil Walker 1 (-13), Jesse Clark 1 (-11), Blake Delcambre 1 (-6), Josh Daniels 1 (-5)

Tackles for Loss
Leron King 2 (-8), Scott Wattigny 1 (-4), Mack Dampier 1 (-3), Ledell Love 1 (-1)

Pass Break-ups
Jesse Clark 2, C.L. Grogan 1, Wesley Eckles 1, Charlie Brooks 1, Phillip Leger 1, Patrick Chitman 1, Albert Smith 1.

Interceptions
Justin Perry (0 return yards)

Fumbles Forced
Gary Riggs

Fumbles Recovered
Justin Aldredge

QB Hurries
Gary Riggs 1, Rogers Loche 1, Jesse Clark 1, Albert Smith 1, Darius Perkins 1

TxSt02
August 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM

ill be in bean town the weekend of 9/15...

McNeese75
August 12th, 2007, 02:19 PM
They only gave up 3 "O" scores in 100 plays(1 was a FG). Gave up a bunch of yards but not points.
I can live with that.

I agree xnodx Scrimmage stats are fun to see and talk about but can be deceiving depending on the practice schedule (dead legs, fatigue, etc).

Demon Fan
August 14th, 2007, 01:57 PM

The Alumni Association and the Athletic Association are both putting together weekend packages with special rates. Also the team's charter jet is selling the extra seats with game tickets and travel "to and from" so long as you don't want to make a long weekender in Boston.

Dallas Demon
August 15th, 2007, 11:35 PM

Was planning on coming up but not sure I'll make it. I think there will be a decent crowd coming up.