PDA

View Full Version : 07 SoCon Preview

erkU
August 11th, 2007, 06:48 PM
Thoughts?

http://www.southernpigskin.com/page.cfm?story=11440&cat=exclusives

youwouldno
August 11th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Looks pretty good to me, glancing through it.

PaladinFan
August 11th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I think it says what we are all thinking. App. State is still the favorite, but there are probably four teams that have a legitimate shot at claiming the conference. Everyone knows what to expect from Furman and ASU, but Citadel, Wofford, and GSU could be big suprises or huge flops.

lambertjr
August 11th, 2007, 08:35 PM
It wouldn'e surprise me if the title is decided during the last week of the season and 3 or 4 teams will have a shot.

OL FU
August 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM
If you make me pick, that is exactly they way I would pick the conferencexnodx

ElonPride
August 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Seems like the entire league will be improved with the exception of WCU.

The SoCon returns to being a 3 bid league this season.

The Cats
August 13th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Seems like the entire league will be improved with the exception of WCU.

I think you all just might be surprised. Don't look for the same injury ridden team that took the field last year, Western WILL NOT be 0-8 in the conference this year.

OL FU
August 13th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I think you all just might be surprised. Don't look for the same injury ridden team that took the field last year, Western WILL NOT be 0-8 in the conference this year.

That's fine, just don't beat us:p xsmiley_wix

james_lawfirm
August 13th, 2007, 11:09 AM

No smack intended, but who do you suppose WCU will beat in the SoCon?

I say they might have a chance at Chattanooga or Elon, but the rest are probably out of reach.

The Cats
August 13th, 2007, 11:10 AM
That's fine, just don't beat us:p xsmiley_wix

I don't know who it will be, but The Cats will pull off ONE big upset this year. Plus, the bottom 1/3 of the conference had better not come into the game taking a win for granted.

The Cats
August 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM
No smack intended, but who do you suppose WCU will beat in the SoCon?

I say they might have a chance at Chattanooga or Elon, but the rest are probably out of reach.

any given saturday, any given saturday, think about it.

ElonPride
August 13th, 2007, 11:48 AM
I don't know who it will be, but The Cats will pull off ONE big upset this year. Plus, the bottom 1/3 of the conference had better not come into the game taking a win for granted.

Sorry man, even without Pope at the helm, I just don't see Elon losing to your school.

By the way, we had several key injuries when we played WCU last year, and still took 'em to the house.

The Cats
August 13th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Sorry man, even without Pope at the helm, I just don't see Elon losing to your school.

Sorry guy, but beating elon is not the big upset i'm talking about.

But, speaking of elon, you are playing in Cullowhee this year and you are in that bottom 1/3 of the conference standing. I just hope your football players have your attitude about the Cats.

youwouldno
August 13th, 2007, 12:26 PM
I think WCU has a solid chance to win 1 conference game, but not against one of the good SoCon teams. The top of the conference is strong this year.

ElonPride
August 13th, 2007, 12:30 PM

But, speaking of elon, you are playing in Cullowhee this year and you are in that bottom 1/3 of the conference standing. I just hope your football players have your attitude about the Cats.

I hope they have my view also, go into to every game THINKING THEY CAN WIN!!!!!!

Not a bad attitude to have at all.

furpal87
August 13th, 2007, 12:34 PM
I agree Western won't go 0-8 in the SoCon, we're only playing 7 conference games this year!!!!xlolx

BULLDOG8180
August 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM

Western scares me:
1. We play at there place.
2. We play them right after 2 huge home games(FU and WC)
3. We play them the week before we go to statesboro.

I agree, we have to come ready to play every week, including WCU.

PaladinFan
August 13th, 2007, 03:58 PM

Wich upset are you talking about? I like Western, but the Cats won't hang with Georgia and Alabama for a quarter. They play Wofford and the Citadel back to back and then play App and Furman back to back.

They may be better than people think, but they are still going to finish last in the conference. The only upset they may pull is if they sneak up on Wofford or Citadel.

FUtilitspurple
August 13th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Last year people went on and on about how weak the SoCon was, and maybe with good reason. But this year should be different, and I expect the SoCon to return to being one of the premier conferences in the FCS. I would like to think the conference title will rest on the Furman-App State outcome, but the other games obviously are not gimmes.

High praise for Jerome Felton in this article, at least somebody is taking notice.

james_lawfirm
August 13th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Last year people went on and on about how weak the SoCon was, and maybe with good reason. But this year should be different, and I expect the SoCon to return to being one of the premier conferences in the FCS. I would like to think the conference title will rest on the Furman-App State outcome, but the other games obviously are not gimmes.

High praise for Jerome Felton in this article, at least somebody is taking notice.

Ditto. xthumbsupx

seantaylor
August 13th, 2007, 06:02 PM
GSU is going to be very good this year

PaladinFan
August 13th, 2007, 06:10 PM
GSU is going to be very good this year

They have potentially good players, but right now they are still miles behind some of the other programs in the SoCon.

The Eagle offense is a one man show. Your highly touted FSU running back was a relative nonfactor against halfway decent teams. You've upgraded defensive personell through transfers, but your defense was already good enough to begin with.

There are way too many questions at key positions for anyone to consider GSU "very good." Reality is, the Eagles are a Jayson Foster injury away from a dismal season.

Eaglesrus
August 13th, 2007, 06:17 PM
They have potentially good players, but right now they are still miles behind some of the other programs in the SoCon.

The Eagle offense is a one man show. Your highly touted FSU running back was a relative nonfactor against halfway decent teams. You've upgraded defensive personell through transfers, but your defense was already good enough to begin with.

There are way too many questions at key positions for anyone to consider GSU "very good." Reality is, the Eagles are a Jayson Foster injury away from a dismal season.

Excellent! I hope that all Furman's players and all of our other opponents' teams think the same thing.

OL FU
August 13th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Excellent! I hope that all Furman's players and all of our other opponents' teams think the same thing.

We do:p

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Eaglesrus
August 13th, 2007, 06:26 PM
We do:p

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

You play for Furman? Well, if all you guys are your age we should do just fine!:)

OL FU
August 13th, 2007, 06:28 PM
You play for Furman? Well, if all you guys are your age we should do just fine!:)

Oh crap, I gotta start reading this stuff. OK

They do:p

Zoo
August 13th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I think it says what we are all thinking. App. State is still the favorite, but there are probably four teams that have a legitimate shot at claiming the conference. Everyone knows what to expect from Furman and ASU, but Citadel, Wofford, and GSU could be big suprises or huge flops.

I agree with you except for Wofford. I think they are going to be good this season, and not a flop.

catamount man
August 13th, 2007, 06:58 PM
I'm keeping my mouth shut.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PaladinFan
August 13th, 2007, 10:43 PM

Can you list all of your transfers? who will be starting? I'm curious because it seems like GSU gets a new one every week.

seantaylor
August 13th, 2007, 11:00 PM

You have no idea what you are talking about. GSU had both Appy and Furman beat last year with a HORRIBLE head coach. Hatcher is a proven entity, unlike VG. Our FSU transfer RB won't even be starting this year. Covington was a better RB last year anyhow, and he has now moved to safety.

Purple Knight
August 13th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Oh crap, I gotta start reading this stuff. OK

They do:p

No, not all. Hatcher is a winner and a winner he will be. I believe you will suprise people this year and show signs of what is to be at GSU.

We at FU seem to always start with high expectations and end the season talking about key injury and what could have been. We will still have a good season, 8-3 or 7-4. But we wil be shaking our heads regarding 'what happened' as we did about the ASU, MSU and CCU games last year.

youwouldno
August 14th, 2007, 01:06 AM
You have no idea what you are talking about. GSU had both Appy and Furman beat last year with a HORRIBLE head coach. Hatcher is a proven entity, unlike VG. Our FSU transfer RB won't even be starting this year. Covington was a better RB last year anyhow, and he has now moved to safety.

GSU did not have Furman "beat." GSU's offense had one huge run by Foster and absolutely nothing else.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2007, 06:51 AM

GSU offense couldn't manage anything against Furman's defense all game except for one long Jayson Foster run.

I'm not saying they won't be suprising, but to call them very good is an overstatement. I won't lie, it is a bit sickening the thought of GSU winning games on the backs of ringers, but it is what it is. If Travis Clark is still your starter the Eagles have a long way to go. He wouldn't start for most other teams in the SoCon and would be third string on a couple.

CID1990
August 14th, 2007, 07:36 AM
After GSU, WCU is the scariest game on our schedule. All the rest of the SoCon are known quantities.

SoCon48
August 14th, 2007, 08:52 AM

GSU is to be congratulated on sending the game in to OT last year in Statesboro considering the year the Eagles had. But to say they "had Appy beat" is rather debateable. GSU will have to do better than passing 36 times for a 95 yard total to beat App this year. Maybe the new coach won't waste so many plays. GSU had a 4 point lead for about 10 minutes of the game and was tied for a good while. Then another 1 minute of lead after a fumble recovery TD. Not sure I'd call that having "Appy beat."
419 yds total offense vs 266 for GSU tells a lot of the story. If GSU punts 9 times this year in KBS, expect one or two of them to result in TD's for App.
Telling the Furman guy he has "no idea what he is talking" about is also rather debateable. I guess maybe getting a 3 pt lead with 4 minutes left in the 2nd quarter is "having them beat." Now saying that GSU kept both ASU and Furman close would be more accurate. Too, the stats were quite close in the Furman game

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2007, 08:53 AM
GSU offense couldn't manage anything against Furman's defense all game except for one long Jayson Foster run.

I'm not saying they won't be suprising, but to call them very good is an overstatement. I won't lie, it is a bit sickening the thought of GSU winning games on the backs of ringers, but it is what it is. If Travis Clark is still your starter the Eagles have a long way to go. He wouldn't start for most other teams in the SoCon and would be third string on a couple.

Getting your excuses in place already? Yes, we do have more transfers than we usually do, and more than many GSU fans would typically like for us to have. I would also venture to say that most of us hope we won't have as many in years to come. However, since our Coach had like two weeks to recruit and a lot of spots to fill, it was expediant for him to go find people that hopefully will help us quickly. I think there's a very good chance that ultimately Clark won't be our starter, but I also think our non-offense last year did not give him an appropriate opportunity to prove himself.

SoCon48
August 14th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Getting your excuses in place already? Yes, we do have more transfers than we usually do, and more than many GSU fans would typically like for us to have. I would also venture to say that most of us hope we won't have as many in years to come. However, since our Coach had like two weeks to recruit and a lot of spots to fill, it was expediant for him to go find people that hopefully will help us quickly. I think there's a very good chance that ultimately Clark won't be our starter, but I also think our non-offense last year did not give him an appropriate opportunity to prove himself.

Yes, we do have more transfers than we usually do, and more than many GSU fans would typically like for us to have

Counting the ones VG brought in, you may have more than any other team in college football. xeyebrowx Many of VG's had 3 years left when he signed them, didn't they?

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Yes, we do have more transfers than we usually do, and more than many GSU fans would typically like for us to have

Counting the ones VG brought in, you may have more than any other team in college football. xeyebrowx Many of VG's had 3 years left when he signed them, didn't they?

Yes, and Billy Lowe, one of this year's transfers, has four. I'm thinking we wouldn't have had as many this year if it was Hatcher's second year (as it obviously should have been, in retrospect) but that's purely speculation on my part, of course.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2007, 01:17 PM

Not even near excuses. UTC has had a ton of transfers year in year out and done nothing. GSU had some big name transfers who were kicked off the team or did very little to contribute.

From my vantage point it wasn't the talent around Clark. When you throw a 10 yrd pass to a reciever standing 15 yrds away your offense won't be overly effective.

Eaglesrus
August 14th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Not even near excuses. UTC has had a ton of transfers year in year out and done nothing. GSU had some big name transfers who were kicked off the team or did very little to contribute.

From my vantage point it wasn't the talent around Clark. When you throw a 10 yrd pass to a reciever standing 15 yrds away your offense won't be overly effective.

Mine either; I was not referring to the talent around Clark, I was referring to the lack of talent on the sideline. I'm sure it didn't help him to have to rush every pass after standing and staring at the sideline waiting to be given the play until there were 2 seconds left on the play clock. By the way, if you don't know the difference between UTC and GSU that's just sad. How long have you followed SoCon Football? Anyway, look forward to seeing you in Paulson in November, or are you not one of the 100 or so Furman fans that come down to support your team?

blueballs
August 14th, 2007, 04:53 PM

That's a great analysis.

PaladinFan
August 14th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Mine either; I was not referring to the talent around Clark, I was referring to the lack of talent on the sideline. I'm sure it didn't help him to have to rush every pass after standing and staring at the sideline waiting to be given the play until there were 2 seconds left on the play clock. By the way, if you don't know the difference between UTC and GSU that's just sad. How long have you followed SoCon Football? Anyway, look forward to seeing you in Paulson in November, or are you not one of the 100 or so Furman fans that come down to support your team?

follow SoCon plenty. There isn't as big of a difference between UTC and GSU as you'd like to think.

I've been to Paulson, will probably be there this year.

mrklean
August 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
We will do GREAT things this year.

GO EAGLES!!!!

citdog
August 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
The Socon is apps to lose this year, but i know that the 'DOGS will be waiting to pick up the title if yosef slips and that the CADETS are chomping at the bit to get this thing rolling!

Laserlips
August 15th, 2007, 10:09 AM
Well, truthfully this old fart has no clue as to how our GSU Eagles will do this season..

I'd be willing to be with Chris Hatcher at the helm we won't go 3-8.xthumbsupx

I think it will take several seasons for our new Head Coach and his staff to get the GSU program the way they want it.. I honestly think however that once Coach Hatcher gets his recruits and offense cranked up GSU will once again be the team, and Paulson the place, most folks won't look forward to playing, or playing in.

Anyone who watched the incompetent Brian van Goober last season must realize that the GSU team was being inaptly led by a Head Coach wannabe who had absolutely no clue as to what he was doing.

I would not be surprised that if BVGOOBER were found in the street in Atlanta after a "hit and run" there was a GSU tag imprint on his chest. xwhistlex

For folks who hate GSU, and for those of us who love GSU this season is going to be dramatically different from that circle jerk we all had to live thru last season.. I think good things are going to happen.

The wonderful thing is that ALL of us are going to be finding out at the same time, and that's only a few weeks away.

I don't think our Eagles will be beating everyones butt this season, but I sincerely believe the GSU football program is getting better, and next season we will be even better than we will be this upcoming season.

I'm with our Eagles, win or lose, but winnings more fun..:D

I don't know about the road games, but I can assure all of you SOCON fans who have to play in Statesboro this year that Paulson is gonna be rocking, and you'd better bring your lunches.

Our GSU Eagles under Coach Hatcher might not win 'em all, this season, but bet we'll "spoil the party" for more than one team.

JMOFO

Best Wishes, & welcome back "citdog"....

J. Pomeroy

P.S. Yep, I'm a GSU Eagle "homer" ;)

Death Dealer
August 15th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Hey, we don't have as many fans as you guys, but you see, we don't let every Tom, Dick, and Harry that can sign an X on the application form into Furman. xrolleyesx

Laserlips
August 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Hey, we don't have as many fans as you guys, but you see, we don't let every Tom, Dick, and Harry that can sign an X on the application form into Furman. xrolleyesx

APPLICATION FORM? xeekx xeekx

X

furman94
August 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Ill be at paulson stadium

Laserlips
August 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Ill be at paulson stadium

And we'll be glad to have ya! :D

J. Pomeroy

Eyes of Old Main
August 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
the CADETS are chomping at the bit to get this thing rolling!

I imagine so, but if they don't win, will they hook someone up to a car battery?

james_lawfirm
August 15th, 2007, 09:23 PM
APPLICATION FORM? xeekx xeekx

X

Now, THAT's FUNNY!!

bobbythekidd
August 15th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I imagine so, but if they don't win, will they hook someone up to a car battery?
EL Cid would never cover a guy in gasoline and threaten him with a car battery. xsmhx

CID1990
August 15th, 2007, 11:17 PM
EL Cid would never cover a guy in gasoline and threaten him with a car battery. xsmhx

Somebody tell the GSU people that the moving pictures aren't really real-life.

Laserlips
August 16th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Somebody tell the GSU people that the moving pictures aren't really real-life.

Perception is reality.......xshhhx

X

Black Saturday
August 16th, 2007, 08:39 AM

Don't count on 4 turnovers to help you this year.xeyebrowx

Black Saturday
August 16th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Yes, we do have more transfers than we usually do, and more than many GSU fans would typically like for us to have.xlolx xlolx xnodx

You guys seem to be taking the NO KID LEFT BEHIND very seriously:D

blueballs
August 16th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Don't count on 4 turnovers to help you this year.xeyebrowx

...one of which resulted in a defensive score which is MOL free points.

I am certainly not counting on such charity this year in Boone, but neither ASU nor the rest of the conference should count on such idiocy on the sidelines for GSU this year.

Winning in Boone will be a tall order for any team in FCS and probably about 1/3 of FBS too.

Eaglesrus
August 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Yes, we do have more transfers than we usually do, and more than many GSU fans would typically like for us to have.

You guys seem to be taking the [B]NO KID LEFT BEHIND very seriously:D

Well, we're actually expecting Jayson Foster to leave alot of your kids and others behind:)

Laserlips
August 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
FWIW:

At what point should a University turn down a quality transfer athlete?

If whatever circumstances that caused that person to leave his previous institution and apply at YOUR school have been thoroughly checked out, and those circumstances have been found not to have enough merit to warrant a denial of transfer do you turn that person down anyway?

Are athletes excluded from the "innocent until proven guilty" rule?

My understanding is that both of these latest transfer athletes from South Carolina have been accepted into the GSU football program ONLY AFTER the Coaches and administration at GSU thoroughly checked out the situation on each of them.

Coach Hatcher has a reputation as a person who is serious about discipline as he proved with the ex-GSU Eagle members who were moonlighting breaking into cars on campus.. They are gone.

I should think this offers a 2nd chance to each of these young men, and I'd be even willing to bet that they will indeed be "under the microscope" when it comes to personal conduct while representing GSU as a football player...

IF, and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, because I wish the best for both of them, but IF one or both screws up again, they will be gone from the GSU campus and football program before the sun goes down.

On the other hand, IF both of them do well in conduct, and on the football field for the Eagles both the young men, and the football team will be winners.

Show me a Coach who would turn down a potential QUALITY athlete transfer player simply because he had a "history", EVEN if that "history" turned out to be a misunderstanding, or bogus, and I'll show you a Coach who might have wonderful ideals, but is lacking in compassion and good judgement..

JMOFO

J. Pomeroy

PaladinFan
August 16th, 2007, 03:10 PM
FWIW:

At what point should a University turn down a quality transfer athlete?

If whatever circumstances that caused that person to leave his previous institution and apply at YOUR school have been thoroughly checked out, and those circumstances have been found not to have enough merit to warrant an denial of transfer do you turn that person down anyway?

Are athletes excluded from the "innocent until proven guilty" rule?

My understanding is that both of these latest transfer athletes from South Carolina have been accepted into the GSU football program ONLY AFTER the Coaches and administration at GSU thoroughly checked out the situation on each of them.

Coach Hatcher has a reputation as a person who is serious about discipline as he proved with the ex-GSU Eagle members who were moonlighting breaking into cars on campus.. They are gone.

I should think this offers a 2nd chance to each of these young men, and I'd be even willing to bet that they will indeed be "under the microscope" when it comes to personal conduct while representing GSU as a football player...

IF, and I sincerely hope it doesn't happen, because I wish the best for both of them, but IF one or both screws up again, they will be gone from the GSU campus and football program before the sun goes down.

On the other hand, IF both of them do well in conduct, and on the football field for the Eagles both the young men, and the football team will be winners.

Show me a Coach who would turn down a potential QUALITY athlete transfer player simply because he had a "history", EVEN if that "history" turned out to be a misunderstanding, or bogus, and I'll show you a Coach who might have wonderful ideals, but is lacking in compassion and good judgement..

JMOFO

J. Pomeroy

I agree with you, in part. But how many transfers that have been dismissed from teams because of discipline problems have actually made a positive contribution to a new team. Randy Moss?

Most of the time bad eggs are just bad eggs. Last year GSU picked up a highly touted defensive player from UGA, not given a fair shake by the justice system, checked out by school officials, who turned around not to play a down and quit football. Often times things are exactly as they appear.

These kids are getting a free education and, often, not having to work very hard for it. In my personal opinion, why should they deserve a second chance?

Laserlips
August 16th, 2007, 04:38 PM
[QUOTE=PaladinFan

Most of the time bad eggs are just bad eggs. Last year GSU picked up a highly touted defensive player from UGA, not given a fair shake by the justice system, checked out by school officials, who turned around not to play a down and quit football. Often times things are exactly as they appear.

These kids are getting a free education and, often, not having to work very hard for it. In my personal opinion, why should they deserve a second chance?[/QUOTE]

PaladinFan:

I know what you're saying, but our UGA transferee screwed himself more than he screwed GSU.. At least he got a 2nd chance, and he can't blame anyone but himself for the result..

I have an adult son who has made mistakes... In the middle of the previous century, when I was a young man, I made MORE than one mistake... I think most young folks make mistakes, and if they are lucky, and smart, they learn from those mistakes and move on. I just hate the idea of throwing a young person out with the trash for a mistake, especially when after investigation that mistake proved not to amount to much..

So, I have no problem with Coach Hatcher taking a chance on these guys. Time will prove he was wise in doing so, or otherwise. At least they get a shot, they might help the team, and as I see it the situation is potentially a win-win for both the GSU Eagle football program and the two young men.

Trying to figure out what anyone "might" do is iffy at best, and trying to figure out what a young man might do is just wasting your time.

And to answer your original question, why wouldn't they deserve a 2nd chance, just as much as a non-athlete, or anyone else? If making one bad decision means no one deserves a chance at redemption and getting his/her act together I think 99.9 of us would be in a jam..

I hope they both do well.

Thanks,

J. Pomeroy

WCU LawCat
August 16th, 2007, 10:18 PM
We at Western realize and understand why we are "picked" at the bottom.

We do not anticipate having 4 injuries at the same position in the first conferance game again. We are much improved at every position on the field this season (with the help of a new offense) except maybe safety. We are probably about the same at tailback with a better offense.

There was only one change in the coaching staff in the offseason with new offensive coordinator Mike Malone (head coach at Tenn Tech last year). We look forward to moving off of the bottom in 2007.

terrierbob
August 16th, 2007, 10:36 PM
Wofford's transfer is from PC, as in the Blue Hose. His name is Kevin Adleman, and he played HS at Mauldin. I'm not sure why he transferred, but he seems like a good kid. I doubt we'll be getting any ex-SEC players.

Eyes of Old Main
August 16th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Wofford's transfer is from PC, as in the Blue Hose. His name is Kevin Adleman, and he played HS at Mauldin. I'm not sure why he transferred, but he seems like a good kid. I doubt we'll be getting any ex-SEC players.

I don't think he ever played for PC. Might have been an injury situation. I think the only other transfer Ayers has had was the kicker a few years back that transfered from Spartanburg Methodist after playing soccer there.

furman94
August 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I don't think he ever played for PC. Might have been an injury situation. I think the only other transfer Ayers has had was the kicker a few years back that transfered from Spartanburg Methodist after playing soccer there.

He was great at Mauldin. I miss seeing him as a Maverick. Now hes a terrierxnonono2x

citdog
August 24th, 2007, 01:13 PM

how did you know what i was doing in Cuba while I was consulting?

Eyes of Old Main
August 25th, 2007, 01:14 PM
how did you know what i was doing in Cuba while I was consulting?

I guess I just know your style.

citdog
August 25th, 2007, 03:59 PM
I guess I just know your style.

"you want me on that wall..... you NEED me on that wall"

Eyes of Old Main
August 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM
"you want me on that wall..... you NEED me on that wall"

That's fine, just don't make the next statement and you won't end up like Col. Jessup.

Mountaineer#96
August 25th, 2007, 04:47 PM
car batteries, application forms...........the SOCON at its best.....I'm excited to kick this one off this year.

appfan2008
August 25th, 2007, 05:08 PM
car batteries, application forms...........the SOCON at its best.....I'm excited to kick this one off this year.

only one week from today against michigan mountaineer!

Eyes of Old Main
August 25th, 2007, 06:51 PM

I couldn't agree more...

Old Montana State Grad
August 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
PaladinFan:

I know what you're saying, but our UGA transferee screwed himself more than he screwed GSU.. At least he got a 2nd chance, and he can't blame anyone but himself for the result..

I have an adult son who has made mistakes... In the middle of the previous century, when I was a young man, I made MORE than one mistake... I think most young folks make mistakes, and if they are lucky, and smart, they learn from those mistakes and move on. I just hate the idea of throwing a young person out with the trash for a mistake, especially when after investigation that mistake proved not to amount to much..

So, I have no problem with Coach Hatcher taking a chance on these guys. Time will prove he was wise in doing so, or otherwise. At least they get a shot, they might help the team, and as I see it the situation is potentially a win-win for both the GSU Eagle football program and the two young men.

Trying to figure out what anyone "might" do is iffy at best, and trying to figure out what a young man might do is just wasting your time.

And to answer your original question, why wouldn't they deserve a 2nd chance, just as much as a non-athlete, or anyone else? If making one bad decision means no one deserves a chance at redemption and getting his/her act together I think 99.9 of us would be in a jam..

I hope they both do well.

Thanks,

J. Pomeroy

I wish there were some way for me to be this articulate; I too have a son who chose to get into the party scene in Statesboro, didn't have the correct information at one of Georgia's roadside checks. Went downhill from there.

I'm retired from the Georgia Teachers' Retirement System, Montana Teachers' Retirement System and the Army Reserves and hope to hell we never give up on our kids, no matter how many times they screw up.

Now, if we can get Ramone Lewis from the Macon team that actually beat Brunswick on the field, I'll breathe a whole lot easier and I'll always thank Coach Mike Kramer for the opportunities he afforded kids.

matfu
August 26th, 2007, 05:41 PM
as a furman fan i did not like van gorder. he seemed to be arrogant and incompetent. i am sure ga southern will be back soon. i have always enjoyed their rivalry with furman starting with our 44-42 national championship loss to ya'll in 1985.

gophoenix
August 26th, 2007, 08:01 PM
For what it's worth, Elon announced the starting QB. Freshman Scott Riddle.

catamount man
August 26th, 2007, 09:05 PM
We at Western realize and understand why we are "picked" at the bottom.

We do not anticipate having 4 injuries at the same position in the first conferance game again. We are much improved at every position on the field this season (with the help of a new offense) except maybe safety. We are probably about the same at tailback with a better offense.

There was only one change in the coaching staff in the offseason with new offensive coordinator Mike Malone (head coach at Tenn Tech last year). We look forward to moving off of the bottom in 2007.

Bro, if you'd seen last week's scrimmage, you wouldn't have any optimism at all. I'm just praying it was an off night. I left early for wings and beer in Sylva.

You know how behind the football team I always am, but we got a LONG way to go. I hope they prove me wrong. Looking forward to a good season of tailgating with ya!xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

PaladinFan
August 26th, 2007, 09:08 PM
For what it's worth, Elon announced the starting QB. Freshman Scott Riddle.

true freshman?

gophoenix
August 26th, 2007, 10:39 PM
true freshman?

Yes, another true freshman. According to the Times-News, Kirby hasn't been to practice since Riddle was named starter. So, the drama continues.

youwouldno
August 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Kirby was overrated by some Elon fans because of the program he came from. I haven't seen a lot of either but I'm not surprised Riddle won the job.

WCU LawCat
August 26th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Yes, another true freshman. According to the Times-News, Kirby hasn't been to practice since Riddle was named starter. So, the drama continues.
Wow, Losing 2 of your top three QB's before the season is not good at all.

Bro, if you'd seen last week's scrimmage, you wouldn't have any optimism at all. I'm just praying it was an off night. I left early for wings and beer in Sylva.

You know how behind the football team I always am, but we got a LONG way to go. I hope they prove me wrong. Looking forward to a good season of tailgating with ya!

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I made my comments going on the first two scrimmages. I know how bad the last one was and I hope it was just the defense stepping up and figuring out the offense. If Spitzer stumbles at all I would really like to see what Adam Hearns can do. Another season just like last year will be painful. I expect us to play a lot of Freshman and win a few conferance games.

gophoenix
August 26th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Kirby was overrated by some Elon fans because of the program he came from. I haven't seen a lot of either but I'm not surprised Riddle won the job.

He could be overrated, I don't know. He did have some great receivers to throw to in high school. I may have been able to throw to those receivers and have them catch it. But, in the 2006 practices, I thought Kirby had a better throw and release than Pope. But Kirby was small and not as mobile, much more of a pocket passer than even Pope was.

So, we'll see. I'm not a big fan of throwing a brand new QB to the wolves, like we're going to be doing against South Florida. That could start a young team off really poorly. But, I can hope for the best.