PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: The Summer of Woe

CSN-info
August 10th, 2007, 07:44 AM
The CSN Way: The Summer of Woe
Chuck Burton, CSN Columnist
http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86723

Scandals are nothing new in the FBS, but this many stories of bad behavior at one time in the FCS feels, well, unprecedented.
READ MORE...

http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=86723

DetroitFlyer
August 10th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I was not thrilled with the reference to the PFL and Josh Johnson, but sometimes the truth hurts.... I agree completely that news about anything bad will travel like wildfire in this day and age. I'm still not certain that things have gotten any worse, I suspect that the information simply gets out MUCH faster and in much greater detail than it ever did in the past. In this day and age of Facebook and Myspace, players should certainly understand the rapid flow of information. Maybe schools need to do a better job on educating EVERYONE associated with athletic programs that what happens in Vegas does not stay in Vegas anymore!

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2007, 09:32 AM
Thanks DF for the props. I mentioned San Diego mostly to demonstrate that "it's not only in such-and-such conference, or only with scholarship schools" - it can happen anywhere. I almost mentioned Harvard's many problems last year, but I thought the reference to Josh Johnson was more timely.

I think you're right on when it comes to "what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas anymore". The need for good leadership, from presidents to ADs to coaches to senior players, is stronger than ever, because you can't count anymore on anything being "swept under the rug".

ngineer
August 10th, 2007, 12:31 PM
I don't know if the scandalous stuff has increased at all or whether, because of the electronic technology, everything now gets reported -- even before it can be confirmed. As stated elsewhere, many years ago various shenanigans were swept under the rug, and even if discipline occured, it was never 'announced'...players all of a sudden weren't around anymore and people just relied on 'word of mouth scuttlebutt'...With the internet, the rules and the 'game' has changed.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Agreed. And the need for good leadership from top to bottom has never been greater. Although you don't want to rush to judgement about any kid (the Josh Johnson thing leaps to mind), the fact is the speed of information has changed forever. It's probably better that it's like that, but it does pose new challenges for all schools.

patssle
August 10th, 2007, 02:20 PM
It seems most of the bad-stuff is coming from the Big Sky. Why's that?