PDA

View Full Version : Yale's games against Army in jeopardy

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Heard through the grapevine that Army is having second thoughts about the 3 games series scheduled for 2010, 2012, and 2014. It seems that they are worried that the games will count against them as far as bowl eligibility(?). The games have been pulled from Yale's future schedules and have been replaced by everyones favorite opponent TBD.

Model Citizen
August 9th, 2007, 09:40 PM
They're playing USD instead.

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
They're playing USD instead.

Yale or Army?

Model Citizen
August 9th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I was joking...but I suppose Yale is a possibility.

On the subject of Ivy scheduling, my grapevine is telling me Princeton and Butler are talking...

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I was joking..

I know. ;)

Model Citizen
August 9th, 2007, 10:08 PM
One more thing, Bulldog. What do you think about your man Cam C. telling the NY Times that a bowl against another strong academic league would be a good idea? I happen to agree.

The PFL's dance card is free as of 2010.

Model Citizen
August 9th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Carm?

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2007, 10:16 PM
One more thing, Bulldog. What do you think about your man Cam C. telling the NY Times that a bowl against another strong academic league would be a good idea? I happen to agree.

The PFL's dance card is free as of 2010.

I'd rather see the Ivies in the playoffs(and I'm sure PFL teams feel the same), but maybe Carm thinks they need to take small steps in that direction. Having someone with Cozza's reputation speak out for any kind of postseason play is definitely a positive. Ivy people give his opinions a lot of consideration.

I think an Ivy-PFL postseason game would be fun....at a warm weather site.xthumbsupx

ch0306
August 9th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Alas, I was looking forward to going to Michie Stadium to see the Bulldogs play West Point. If the games are in jeopardy, my guess is that we've not heard the real reason. The possibility that bowl sponsors might frown on a game against Yale is nothing that wasn't self-evident two years ago.

bulldog10jw
August 9th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Alas, I was looking forward to going to Michie Stadium to see the Bulldogs play West Point. If the games are in jeopardy, my guess is that we've not heard the real reason. The possibility that bowl sponsors might frown on a game against Yale is nothing that wasn't self-evident two years ago.

Agreed. The athletic dept is being very quiet about the cancellation of the games. I sent the S.I.D. an e-mail asking what happened and got a terse one line response that the games were pulled. No further explanation was given.

Model Citizen
August 9th, 2007, 10:45 PM
I think an Ivy-PFL postseason game would be fun....at a warm weather site.xthumbsupx

I have a place in mind. :D

DetroitFlyer
August 10th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Army worried about going to a bowl game? I thought the reason that they agreed to play Yale was that they did not see themselves being in serious contention for a bowl game for the foreseeable future.... Maybe the Army community did not like the message playing a "non-counter" sent to the program?

As for a PFL / Ivy bowl game? Of course I would rather see both leagues Champions in the playoffs. That said, I think the drawing power of an Ivy team would make the game far more interesting than the current Gridiron Classic. Properly promoted, and timed just right, this could be a well drawing game. I agree that if it ever came to pass, play at a neutral, warm weather site, that would be attractive to fans of both leagues. Now that Army is off the schedule, how about renewing the Dayton / Yale games?

Franks Tanks
August 10th, 2007, 07:34 AM
Army worried about going to a bowl game? I thought the reason that they agreed to play Yale was that they did not see themselves being in serious contention for a bowl game for the foreseeable future.... Maybe the Army community did not like the message playing a "non-counter" sent to the program?

As for a PFL / Ivy bowl game? Of course I would rather see both leagues Champions in the playoffs. That said, I think the drawing power of an Ivy team would make the game far more interesting than the current Gridiron Classic. Properly promoted, and timed just right, this could be a well drawing game. I agree that if it ever came to pass, play at a neutral, warm weather site, that would be attractive to fans of both leagues. Now that Army is off the schedule, how about renewing the Dayton / Yale games?

Army had been very annoying in recent years. In the past they played Lafayette and Colgate nearly every year, and the Ivies every so often. They are still afraid to play the Patriot or Ivies after they lost to a very mediocre Holy Cross team in 2002

YaleFootballFan
August 10th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Heard through the grapevine that Army is having second thoughts about the 3 games series scheduled for 2010, 2012, and 2014. It seems that they are worried that the games will count against them as far as bowl eligibility(?). The games have been pulled from Yale's future schedules and have been replaced by everyones favorite opponent TBD.

Army has everything to lose and virtually nothing to gain when they play teams from the Ivy and Patriot. Granted Yale and Army have a history of playing each other that dates back to 1893, but today it's pretty obvious that Yale needs Army on their schedule a lot more than Army needs Yale on their schedule.

Most Army fans would drop Yale from their schedule in a heartbeat. They would rather stick with playing I-A teams. Plus Army fans still haven't forgiven Yale's Marching Band for their controversial halftime show in West Point in 1985.

Hopefully things will work out. Yale fans have been looking forward to seeing Army on the schedule for a long time. However, if things don't happen to work out, I would be in favor of playing USD, Dayton or any of the PFL teams instead.

ngineer
August 10th, 2007, 12:39 PM
This is not surprising as we've been shunned by West Point for years in football--despite their allliance with the Patriot in all other sports. They'd rather get pounded 49-7 by a Michigan than risk a loss to 'one of us.'xsmhx

Go...gate
August 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM
This does not bode well for a game Colgate reportedly scheduled at Army in 2012 or 2014 (I can't remember which). We are still scheduled to play Air Force in 2013.

Ivytalk
August 10th, 2007, 01:05 PM
That just blows. Army would rather play its traditional rivals Temple, Central Michigan and Tulsa, I guess.xrolleyesx xsmhx

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Two words: Not surprised.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2007, 01:13 PM
In essence, this "counter" stuff is the wedge which will ultimately segregate the PFL, Ivy and Patriot from the rest of Division I football. There will be no more true "stretch games".

aceinthehole
August 10th, 2007, 01:24 PM
That is really too bad. Army-Yale would have been great, especially the Black Knights trip to Yale Bowl.

Does anyone connected w/ Yale know if there is any truth to the rumor that Yale would consider a game vs. Central Connecticut? I had heard that CCSU recently approached Yale about a game, and suprsingly (at least to me), Yale didn't laugh and decline. The Elis schedule was full, but they said they would consider a game at a future date. I would guess the BLue Devils would be more than willing to go "on the road" to the Bowl and I'd love to see see that matchup.

bulldog10jw
August 10th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Most Army fans would drop Yale from their schedule in a heartbeat. They would rather stick with playing I-A teams. Plus Army fans still haven't forgiven Yale's Marching Band for their controversial halftime show in West Point in 1985.

I was at that game in '85 but, for some reason, I don't remember the halftime show being that controversial. Maybe because you get so used to the band's "skits" that you don't really pay attention after a while.

What I do remember is that damn cannon Army shot off every time they scored. Which was a lot.

YaleFootballFan
August 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM
That is really too bad. Army-Yale would have been great, especially the Black Knights trip to Yale Bowl.

Does anyone connected w/ Yale know if there is any truth to the rumor that Yale would consider a game vs. Central Connecticut? I had heard that CCSU recently approached Yale about a game, and suprsingly (at least to me), Yale didn't laugh and decline. The Elis schedule was full, but they said they would consider a game at a future date. I would guess the BLue Devils would be more than willing to go "on the road" to the Bowl and I'd love to see see that matchup.

I haven't heard anything about CCSU playing Yale in football. Perhaps if the series with Army falls through, Central can take Army's place on the schedule. I think it would be neat to play a school from Connecticut again....the last time was in 1998 (UConn). I say try it out for one year and see what happens.

If CCSU can play I-A Western Michigan, then they can play Yale. Simple as that.

CCSU and Yale have met in football before, but not officially. Both teams scrimaged each other in the early 90s at the Yale Bowl.

YaleFootballFan
August 10th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I was at that game in '85 but, for some reason, I don't remember the halftime show being that controversial. Maybe because you get so used to the band's "skits" that you don't really pay attention after a while.

What I do remember is that damn cannon Army shot off every time they scored. Which was a lot.

I was at that game too. We sat in the end zone where the cannon was positioned. Army ended up scoring something like 59 points that afternoon and the cannon kept going off. It was driving us crazy.

Lehigh Football Nation
August 10th, 2007, 03:26 PM
CCSU and Yale should play each other. Yale needs to play CT teams more often, in my opinion. xtwocentsx

colgate13
August 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
This does not bode well for a game Colgate reportedly scheduled at Army in 2012 or 2014 (I can't remember which). We are still scheduled to play Air Force in 2013.

Colgate would in theory be a counter with the amount of equivalencies we have. Ivies have no equivalencies.

The PL is in a better position than the Ivy to schedule FBS games. That doesn't mean Army is going to schedule a PL team because it is still a no win situation for them...

DetroitFlyer
August 10th, 2007, 03:45 PM
who in the PL is truly a "counter". I have seem comments which would seem to indicate that PL schools are in the low 50's, not at the 57 or above level. All seem to agree that Georgetown is not close, but beyond that the status of the various PL schools as "counters" seems to be a well kept secret.

Go...gate
August 10th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Colgate would in theory be a counter with the amount of equivalencies we have. Ivies have no equivalencies.

The PL is in a better position than the Ivy to schedule FBS games. That doesn't mean Army is going to schedule a PL team because it is still a no win situation for them...

Are we at 57? AIR, it had dipped a bit below this, to maybe 50.

colgate13
August 10th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I don't know where we are exactly, but IMHO Air Force doesn't schedule us if we're not.

Seeing what is publicly available on the Dept of Ed site, in 05-06 we spent roughly $3.5 million on football and that figure includes athletically related aid. If my memory serves correct, an equivalency was roughly 43K in 05-06. If 57 is the magic number, than at least $2.45 million of that needs to be spent on football players.

I don't know about you, but do you think we're spending more than $1 million on everything else in the program? I doubt it.

So basically, I think we're there and we'll be there if it meant the difference between an Air Force or similar game or not.

Oh, and everything I ever saw was that our spending was ramping back up under Chopp after suffering under Grabois/Buddy/Interm.