PDA

View Full Version : FCS coaches on hot seat

colonel84
August 9th, 2007, 05:45 PM
ESPN.com had a story on FBS coaches on the hot seat -thought it would be interesting to see what everybody tought about FCS coaches - any one have an opinion?

MR. CHICKEN
August 9th, 2007, 06:09 PM
IN DUH CAA....COACH STOWER'S.........RHODE ISLAND RAMS......ARE PERRENIALLY IN DUH DUMPER..........IS HE IN TROUBLE?..DON'T KNOW.....BUT HOW LONG CAN YA TAKE LOSIN'?..........NOR'EASTER COULD BE UH FORCE..........IFIN' DEY DIDN'T SUICIDE SKED.....OUT OF CONFERENCE GAMES...............GORDY'S GOT DUH TIGERS GROWLIN' NOW........LAYCOCKE/TALLEY/CLAWSON ARE LOVED AT DERE SKOOLS.......MICKEY/DON BROWN/COSGROVE ARE ON SOLID TERRA FIRMA.....COHEN IS NEW.....AND HAS SOME SQUIRMIN' ROOM.........COULD K.C.'s EFFIGY..BE DANGLIN' FROM DUH MAPLES ON OL' CAMPUS.....IFIN' DUH BIRDS........TAKE DUH '07 NES-TEA PLUNGE?......SURELY DELAWARE'S 2008 SKED.....WILL GIVE DUH CHICKENS ALL DEY CAN HANDLE........PECKERHEADS ARE USED TA SEEIN' OURAH BELOVED HENS...RELOADIN'......NOT....RECYCLIN' EVERAH COUPLE YEARS.......BRAWK!

bobbythekidd
August 9th, 2007, 06:54 PM
IN DUH CAA....COACH STOWER'S.........RHODE ISLAND RAMS......ARE PERRENIALLY IN DUH DUMPER..........IS HE IN TROUBLE?..DON'T KNOW.....BUT HOW LONG CAN YA TAKE LOSIN'?..........BRAWK!If Stowers were to go, who could they get to take over that program? I hear they really can't recruit well (consider the other schools in the area) his replacement is going to be in the same spot.
Hard to win without talent, and hard to get talent without wins. Not meant as smack, but I have heard the facilities are the pits. Would a recruit who had a choice choose URI over another?

MR. CHICKEN
August 9th, 2007, 07:34 PM
HEAR YA BOBBY...........RUTGERS FOUND ONE........DE'RE OUT DERE......AGREED RHODEY IS UH TOUGH DRAW....AN' FO' DAT FACT.....COACH STOWERS....MAY BE UH LONG TERMER....(AH HAPPEN TA LIKE HIM....HE GETS INTERVIEWED ON CN-8....LOVE HIS SOUTHERN ACCENT)....HE DID HAVE UH 8-3 SEASON TA HIS CREDIT....BUT FAILED TA MAKE DUH PLAY-OFFS.....LOSIN' 'EM AT DUH END O' SEASON.....................BRAWK/couldbeduhyear.edu;)

Brad82
August 9th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Stowers is hopefully on hot seat.
Facilities have had major improvements. Very nice. More to come!
Worse facilities and talent pool not hurting UNH are they?
Rutgers is prime example.
All it takes is right coach. Young,ladder climber is needed.
They are out there.

Franks Tanks
August 9th, 2007, 08:04 PM
If Stowers were to go, who could they get to take over that program? I hear they really can't recruit well (consider the other schools in the area) his replacement is going to be in the same spot.
Hard to win without talent, and hard to get talent without wins. Not meant as smack, but I have heard the facilities are the pits. Would a recruit who had a choice choose URI over another?

Rhody can be a very attractive option for recruits. Very nice campus close to the beach, in a good economic area close to NYC and Boston. They could be as good as anyone else in the CAA with the right coach and proper support

Cobblestone
August 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
With the new weight room donated by Jerry Azumah, I don't think UNH's facilities are that bad anymore.

Marty Fine has done one heck of good job at Bryant. Possible replacement for Stowers?

I say if Stowers goes 4-7 again, with our new A.D. (who's a football guy) then Stowers is g-o-n-e gone.

bobbythekidd
August 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM
ESPN.com had a story on FBS coaches on the hot seat -thought it would be interesting to see what everybody tought about FCS coaches - any one have an opinion?
Noted the above comments, but I didn't mean to turn this into a URI thread.:o There are other schools. My bad.

Cobblestone
August 9th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Noted the above comments, but I didn't mean to turn this into a URI thread.:o There are other schools. My bad.

Don't worry about it, glad you did.

MR. CHICKEN
August 9th, 2007, 10:02 PM
IT'S ONLY UH RHODEY THREAD........'CAUSE DUH OTHERAH CONFERENCES........ARE SITTIN' ON DERE MOUSES.............xoopsx...BAWK!

chattanoogamocs
August 9th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I am not sure if Rodney Allison's seat at Chattanooga is hot this year, but I would say it is at least uncomfortably warm.

TheValleyRaider
August 9th, 2007, 11:24 PM
In the Patriot League....No

Biddle and Tavani are this close to having their respective stadiums named after them. Gilmore has injected some real enthusiasm into the program at HC. Masella, Coen and Kelly are all too new to their jobs. Landis at Bucknell is the only one who would really be considered close to the hot seat, but last year was a big improvement from where they were just a season before. After '06, the Patriot League looks pretty stable for at least another year or two.

After '05, on the other hand, you could make a (weak) case against Landis as well as cases against the since-replaced coaches at Lehigh, Fordham and Georgetown. What a difference a year makes.

Mort
August 10th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Bobby Hauck, University of Montana, for the following reasons:

1. Montana thinks they should win the national title this year. Lots of returning, experienced players; Lex Hilliard, star running back, returns from injury; much heralded JD Quinn joins their OL. Anything less than a NC will have many UM fans turning up the heat on Hauck.

2. Significant off-field problems hit UM during the off-season. The bloom is off the rose as far as UM running a "clean" program and people are unhappy about that, not to mention asking legitimate questions as to what is going on. If he wins the NC, that would remove some of the heat from that issue. If he doesn't, and/or if more problems occur, the heat will go up regarding this issue.

3. Hauck was widely rumored to have gone shopping for a new job in the off season - a FBS/BCS job. He is apparently looking to leave UM. Many seem to think that if he wins the FCS NC this year he'll be gone to a FBS team but that if he doesn't, he will be forced to stay at UM for the long haul due to the fact he will have failed to deliver with a loaded team. In addition, UM will lose 25-30 players after this season, meaning UM will be facing a rebuilding season next year, something many of the UM fans won't have much patience for. If that rebuilding year means missing the playoffs in '08 or a first round exit if they get in, then Hauck will be under fire for that. This is a make or break year for him.

4. I am uncertain about this but thought I heard/read that Hauck was offered a three year contract by UM but only signed a one year deal. If so, he is in a contract year and if he fails to deliver the NC as outlined above, he is also without a contract at seasons end. Therefore, if he fails to deliver and the fan outcry is strong enough, UM could cut ties with him and it wouldn't cost them anything. I don't think UM's administration would be that short-sighted but the point is Hauck apparently does not have the safety net of a multi-year deal under him.

So, it appears the seat is quite warm for coach Hauck in Missoula this year, rightly or wrongly.

MR. CHICKEN
August 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM

1. Montana thinks they should win the national title this year. Lots of returning, experienced players; Lex Hilliard, star running back, returns from injury; much heralded JD Quinn joins their OL. Anything less than a NC will have many UM fans turning up the heat on Hauck.

2. Significant off-field problems hit UM during the off-season. The bloom is off the rose as far as UM running a "clean" program and people are unhappy about that, not to mention asking legitimate questions as to what is going on. If he wins the NC, that would remove some of the heat from that issue. If he doesn't, and/or if more problems occur, the heat will go up regarding this issue.

3. Hauck was widely rumored to have gone shopping for a new job in the off season - a FBS/BCS job. He is apparently looking to leave UM. Many seem to think that if he wins the FCS NC this year he'll be gone to a FBS team but that if he doesn't, he will be forced to stay at UM for the long haul due to the fact he will have failed to deliver with a loaded team. In addition, UM will lose 25-30 players after this season, meaning UM will be facing a rebuilding season next year, something many of the UM fans won't have much patience for. If that rebuilding year means missing the playoffs in '08 or a first round exit if they get in, then Hauck will be under fire for that. This is a make or break year for him.

4. I am uncertain about this but thought I heard/read that Hauck was offered a three year contract by UM but only signed a one year deal. If so, he is in a contract year and if he fails to deliver the NC as outlined above, he is also without a contract at seasons end. Therefore, if he fails to deliver and the fan outcry is strong enough, UM could cut ties with him and it wouldn't cost them anything. I don't think UM's administration would be that short-sighted but the point is Hauck apparently does not have the safety net of a multi-year deal under him.

So, it appears the seat is quite warm for coach Hauck in Missoula this year, rightly or wrongly.

IFIN' DUH GRIZZWOLDS TAKE DUH BLING.........HIS STAR.....WILL ATTRACT DUH ATTENTION O' DUH BCS WORLD.......AN' IFIN' DIS IS UH CONTRACT YEAR......HE'S UH "FREE BIRD"......MR. C'S ARTICLE MENTIONED HAUCK....SAYIN' SOMETHIN' LIKE...."PEOPLE ARE EXPECTIN' UH MONTANA vs APPALACHIAN STATE.....TITLE GAME".......HE PROLLY DOES TOO!........AH'D SAY.......DUH MONTANA INSTITUTION....IS SITTIN' ON DUH HEATIN' PAD............BETTERAH START LOOKIN'.......;)..BRAWK/couldbeduhyear.edu!

aceinthehole
August 10th, 2007, 09:44 AM
NEC seems fairly steady.

Albany - Don't know how close UA's Bob Ford is to retierment, but he is steady as a rock in his position. UA should name the new field after him!

CCSU - Coach Mac is helping to build a program, not just a team. He has finally settled down and his future in New Britain is bright.

Monmouth - The last 4 years at MU has been great - Callahan isn't going anywhere, unless a job opens up for him to upgrade his salary and profile.

Robert Morris - Joe Walton is the father of RMU football and they already named the stadium after him. He is rebuilding a winner and IMO has a few more seasons before he begins to consider retirement.

Sacred Heart - Groham is enetring his 4th year and hasn't produced, but he has a great resume and is well respected in New England football circles. SHU is very patient with coaches, so they will likely let him play out the 5-year contract and possibly sign a small extension.

St. Francis PA - Opar begins his 6th season with the Flash. He doesn't have much to show for it, but he's a young, Wetern PA product and honestly I don't think SFPA can find any better. He has 2 more seasons before he gives up.

Wagner - Hameline has to be very close to retirement. Wagner has a lot of potential, but little cash to spend. My guess is that this is the next NEC job to open up (maybe next year), especially if the Seahawks can't win an NEC game this year.

GOKATS
August 10th, 2007, 10:06 PM

I usually tend not to agree with you, but in this case I do. Hauck is obviously looking to move on, but recent player problems have likely diminished his marketability as far as moving up and has caused a lot of concern from the ever faithful griz fans. A NC win will likely give Hauck the opportunity he's looking for to get out of Missoula, but he won't be as high profile as he was a year ago due to the player problems. Due to the high expectations of the griz fans this year, anything less than a NC will put him on the s**t list, and as you mentioned the griz lose a big chunk of the team this year and will be questionable in '08 (likely another reason Hauck wants to get out).

Everything I've read also confirms your thoughts on the three year contract- apparently Hauck backed out of the three year because he disagreed with the buyout language if he left early, which would reduce his marketability to move on.

Hauck wants to get out of Missoula, but personally I hope he's the griz coach for many years to come.xsmiley_wix

MR. CHICKEN
August 10th, 2007, 10:11 PM
i think the way you quote sucks.

AH'M NOT DUH FCS..."EGG-HOLE".....FO' NOTHIN'........AN' YER OPINION.....IS LIKE UH...xazzx......EVERAH BODY GOT ONE......xrotatehx....BRAWK!

Mort
August 10th, 2007, 10:23 PM
GOKATS

I see that you, too, avoided banishment for posting a link and refering to that "other" FCS board the other day. :D

ekufbfan
August 10th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Hey Colonel,
With Joanne leaving, don't ya' think that Hope might be feeling a little heat this year if he does not produce?xrolleyesx

GOKATS
August 10th, 2007, 11:54 PM
GOKATS

I see that you, too, avoided banishment for posting a link and refering to that "other" FCS board the other day. :D

There's another FCS board...........?xshhhx

:D

GaSouthern
August 11th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Rhody needs Sewak!