PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy DL takes the lead

McTailGator
August 6th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Cowboys pull on shoulder pads for the first time and defensive front four take the lead Five passes intercepted and four touchdowns scored in Sunday workout

http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/080507aaa.html

Aug. 5, 2007

McNeese State pulled on the shoulder pads for the first time Sunday morning and the defensive front four took the lead.

"I thought that our defensive front four really set the tone," said Cowboy head coach Matt Viator following his team's workout in shorts, shoulder pads and helmets.

"Once we got into the team drills, both sides were making plays but I was really impressed with the way our defensive front came out. They set the tone in how it was going to be."

The Cowboy starting defensive front four is handled by veterans Bryan Smith and Bryant Mason at end and Vaalyn Jackson and Kenneth Lundy at tackle.

Among them they have nine letters and Smith, Jackson and Lundy are returning starters, Jackson from the 2005 season.

Backups at end are Kenton Alleyne, Terrance Freeman and Anthony Schultz on one side and Joshua Ellison, Brandon Zanders and Hunter Davis on the other. At tackle the backups are Ken Jones, Damien Aultman and Justin Breaux on one side and Travis Thibodeaux, Jerrell White and Desmond Lighten on the other.

Rain peppered the field prior to practice on Sunday and caused somewhat wet conditions.

"It was one of those unexpected showers," Viator said. "But the players worked through it even when the sun came out and made things a little hotter."

After three days of drills, Viator said that he was pleased with his team.

"Right now I think that we are where we need to be conditioning wise and where we need to be assignment wise and as this goes on you have to get to where you need to be in a physical sense," he said.
Quarterback Derrick Fourroux is pressured by Bryan Smith (93). Also pictured is offensive lineman James Jordan (73).

Pass interceptions and touchdowns scored just about balanced themselves out in the team drills that closed out the Sunday workout.

The defense intercepted five passes and the offense came up with plays that could have produced four tds.

Linebacker Geremy Pilate and defensive backs Marcus Brown, Jeremy Haynes, Brant Linde and Tyson Sibley came up with interceptions while tailback Toddrick Pendland could have scored on a screen pass and a rush and Ramon Smothers and Carlese Franklin on receptions.

COWBOY NOTES: The Cowboys will be back out in shorts, shoulder pads and helmets for workouts on Monday and will go in full pads for the first time for Tuesday morning's practice. Wednesday they will practice twice and they will hold their first scrimmage on Saturday at 4:45 p.m. The team will hold Media Day and Fan Day on Sunday at 5 p.m. at Cowboy Stadium......wide receiver Chad Davis is the only player on the team who has changed his number for this season....the sophomore from Plaquemine will wear No. 3 instead of the No. 23 he wore last year.....

andy7171
August 6th, 2007, 11:19 AM
Portland State is going to have their hands FULL with that front four. I've got my eye on Jackson coming back and making some noise.

McTailGator
August 6th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Portland State is going to have their hands FULL with that front four. I've got my eye on Jackson coming back and making some noise.

Yea losing Jackson was a blow to us last year.

He is back and has a big time desire to be all SLC and All American in the post season.