PDA

View Full Version : The dean of SoCon coaches

catamount man
August 6th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Congrats to Mike Ayers as this is his 20th year upcoming at Wofford. WOW! A class coach and class individual to boot. Good luck, except October 25.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

catamount man
August 6th, 2007, 06:41 AM
And in case folks were wondering:

Mike Ayers-Wofford (20 years, 1988-????)
Jerry Moore-ASU (19 years, 1989-????)
Bobby Lamb-FU (6 years, 2002-????)
Kent Briggs-WCU (6 years, 2002-????)
Rodney Allison-UTC (5 years, 2003-????)
Kevin Higgins-EL CID (3 years, 2005-????)
Pete Lembo-Elon (2 years, 2006-????)
Chris Hatcher-GSU (1 year, 2007-????)

No wonder Wofford and ASU have great teams.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
August 6th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Wow, it seems like only yesterdayxbowx

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 06:54 AM
Congrats to Mike Ayers as this is his 20th year upcoming at Wofford. WOW! A class coach and class individual to boot. Good luck, except October 25.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

He has toned down his quotes in the press the last couple years. When Steve Shutt first went down there in media relations, he spent a lot of time the first year or two mending the bridges Ayers had burned with other SoCon schools.
Now Steve has moved on to Wake. Hopefully Ayers can keep the bridges intact.

catamount man
August 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM
He has toned down his quotes in the press the last couple years. When Steve Shutt first went down there in media relations, he spent a lot of time the first year or two mending the bridges Ayers had burned with other SoCon schools.
Now Steve has moved on to Wake. Hopefully Ayers can keep the bridges intact.

I've met Coach Ayers and, to me, he was nothing but first class all the way.

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

OL FU
August 6th, 2007, 07:14 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

You know if you haven't pissed off someone sometime, you probably don't have a lot of personality anyway.xlolx

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 07:21 AM
You know if you haven't pissed off someone sometime, you probably don't have a lot of personality anyway.xlolx

In his case, he was just lucky to have someone come along behind him and salvage the relationships with the other programs. From what I heard, it was not an easy task.

WUTNDITWAA
August 6th, 2007, 07:23 AM
How many years as Wofford been in the league? xeyebrowx

Or are you saying that Ayers just whines like Dean Smith? xlolx

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 07:24 AM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

I think he learned some valuable lessons about watching what he says in the media.
I've met many of the SoCon coaches and have found them all to be quite personable. They have to be in that line of work.

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 07:29 AM

Or are you saying that Ayers just whines like Dean Smith? xlolx

How many years as Wofford been in the league?
I imagine your question was rhetorical, but anyway, Wofford is going on their 10th year I believe.

Whine? I think he's curbed it a bit in the last couple years or else their media guy stifled some of it somehow. I rather enjoyed reading/hearing it myself. Almost as much as B Lamb's fits.xlolx
And when ol Deano whined, he was much more convincing than Ayers, at least to the blue crowd. When Deano whined, he got over it and didn't keep repeating the same ol stuff for several seasons like a broken record. Here's hoping Ayers reverts and entertains us some more and Bobby hasn't been prescribed Valium for game days.

dungeonjoe
August 6th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Ayers has the tenure at Wofford, but no the tenure in the SoCon. I have always considered Moore the dean. Both are great coaches; they are able to work the operating system of their schools and make competetive teams.

With such long tenure, the interesting thing will be if that winning tradition continues after each moves on or retires.

terrierbob
August 6th, 2007, 08:19 AM
I sure as heck hope he doesn't retire any time soon.

dungeonjoe
August 6th, 2007, 08:25 AM
I sure as heck hope he doesn't retire any time soon.

here's hoping he stays as long as JoePa at Penn State

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 10:21 AM
here's hoping he stays as long as JoePa at Penn State
and
I sure as heck hope he doesn't retire any time soon

As long as he keeps up the pattern of like his 2-8 vs App, we do, too!!!
xrulesx xrulesx

AZGrizFan
August 6th, 2007, 10:26 AM

I imagine your question was rhetorical, but anyway, Wofford is going on their 10th year I believe.

I think his point is that how can he be the "dean of coaches in the league" when ASU/Moore have been in the league longer. xreadx

OL FU
August 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I think his point is that how can he be the "dean of coaches in the league" when ASU/Moore have been in the league longer. xreadx

well you have to consider they thread was started by a Cantamountxsmiley_wix

walliver
August 6th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Maybe if we rise up and try to fire hime, he'll win a National Championship:D .

Don't forget that Mike Ayers also coached in the SoCon at ETSU for a couple of years.

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Of course. That was why I said "rhetorical."
I was just pointing out the fact that he's been in the league about 1/2 Moore's.

SoCon48
August 6th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Maybe if we rise up and try to fire hime, he'll win a National Championship:D .
Don't forget that Mike Ayers also coached in the SoCon at ETSU for a couple of years.

No chance of that. He always has his his azz covered with a handful of excuses and blame.;)
Will say that Wofford is lucky to have him and he'll be there as long as he wants.

terrierbob
August 7th, 2007, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=I-AA 2006;610703]and

################################################## #

So we have a 20% chance any "given saturday"? :)

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Much more than that at Woff this year given the close game in Boone last Oct.

GoldandBlack
August 7th, 2007, 08:47 AM
[QUOTE=I-AA 2006;610703]and

Nah- just remember, we poor little Terriers don't stand a snowball's chance of beating Furman or ASU.

They should just consider us an automatic win and concentrate on some of their bigger games, like Presbyterian and Lenoir Rhyne.xwhistlex

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 09:13 AM
[QUOTE=terrierbob;611425]

Nah- just remember, we poor little Terriers don't stand a snowball's chance of beating Furman or ASU.

They should just consider us an automatic win and concentrate on some of their bigger games, like Presbyterian and Lenoir Rhyne.xwhistlex

I know that's not a jab at our schedule given Woffie's in recent years and being this year you're playing that little 1200 student NAIA school from Kentucky, Georgetown (again). Not the real Georgetown, of course. How did Woffie find them?

Of course you know we aren't playing Presbyterian this year. They're headed for the Big South by the time we face them just like your little Chucktown SU you also have on the sched this year along with G Webb.You guys have been feasting on the Newberries, Catawbas, JC Smiths, and G Webbs for years.

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE=terrierbob;611425]

know that's not a jab at our schedule given Woffie's in recent years and being this year you're playing that little 1200 student NAIA school from Kentucky, Georgetown (again). Not the real Georgetown, of course. How did Woffie find them?

Of course you know we aren't playing Presbyterian this year. They're headed for the Big South by the time we face them just like your little Chucktown SU you also have on the sched this year along with G Webb.You guys have been feasting on the Newberries, Catawbas, JC Smiths, and G Webbs for years.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AZGrizFan
August 7th, 2007, 09:18 AM
[quote=I-AA 2006;610703]and

Unless you had the same math teacher as OldAppState299, then you've got about a 68% chance according to those numbers. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

GoldandBlack
August 7th, 2007, 09:50 AM
I know that's not a jab at our schedule given Woffie's in recent years and being this year you're playing that little 1200 student NAIA school from Kentucky, Georgetown (again). Not the real Georgetown, of course. How did Woffie find them?

You're exactly right- it was not a jab at your schedule.

It was a commentary on the complete lack of respect that some ASU fans have for the Wofford program, and it's competitiveness in the SoCon. Of course, we're used to it by now, so we'd just as soon you keep thinking that way- it makes it easier for us to surprise you, at least on occasion.

As for Georgetown, KY, that "little 1200 student school" does happen to be our coach's alma mater, they've been nationally ranked in the NAIA for several years, and their student body is larger than Wofford's. Makes about as much sense for us to play them as it does for Michigan to play App State, doesn't it? (at least from the comments on the Michigan fan board)

And since you insist on delving way back in our history to pull up Catawba and Newberry (I don't even know when we played J.C. Smith, off the top of my head), I presume it's acceptable for me to mention that you were able to squeeze both Gardner-Webb (who you so pointedly dismissed above) and Mars Hill into your 2006 schedule?

You may beat us this year- you might not. But your two consecutive NCs do not make you invulnerable or bulletproof, regardless of your ability to verbally dismiss teams in this conference, and other conferences as well.

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 11:29 AM
As for Georgetown, KY, that "little 1200 student school" does happen to be our coach's alma mater, they've been nationally ranked in the NAIA for several years, and their student body is larger than Wofford's. Makes about as much sense for us to play them as it does for Michigan to play App State, doesn't it? (at least from the comments on the Michigan fan board)

The NAIA isn't what it used to be even. It has been usurped by the lower divisions of the NCAA.
Georgetown is ranked 8th by Street and Smiths and 6th in anotherr

Only thing is, an NAIA team is several levels lower than a I-AA to a I-AA. So it would be more like Michigan playing a D-2. Plus, we;re the first I-AA Michigan has ever played.

Looking at their other opponents, this will be about the biggest game in Georgetown KY's history.

I do understand the alma mater thing. Kind of. We played D-2 Mars Hill last year for the first time in our entire history even though they are a mountain neighbor. MH was our Chancellor's alma mater. And the Chance does have a little clout. Plus we've had a real tough time finding opponents.

and
And since you insist on delving way back in our history to pull up Catawba and Newberry (I don't even know when we played J.C. Smith, off the top of my head), I presume it's acceptable for me to mention that you were able to squeeze both Gardner-Webb (who you so pointedly dismissed above) and Mars Hill into your 2006 schedule?

Way back? Nope.
And heck we haven't even played Presby yet and they're moving up. :)
But way back? JC Smith was 2004 (you know just as they shut down football, I believe), Catawba '03, G-W for the last 3 years.

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM
[quote=terrierbob;611425]

Unless you had the same math teacher as OldAppState299, then you've got about a 68% chance according to those numbers. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx
xlolx

Ummmmm

Hope your old math teacher isn't reading this.

Woff's won, 2 out of the 10. (2-8 record) Thus we've won 80%. Thus if the pattern holds, we have an 80% chance.xrulesx

But I'd love to see where the heck 68% came from.xrolleyesx

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Anyway, last year's close game with Wofford proves it will be much more difficult and App will feel lucky if it escapes the loss.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 7th, 2007, 12:49 PM
How can you fire a guy who knows Kung-fu? He'd open a can of whoop-a** on you if you even thought about it!

lizrdgizrd
August 7th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Ummmmm

Hope your old math teacher isn't reading this.

Woff's won, 2 out of the 10. (2-8 record) Thus we've won 80%. Thus if the pattern holds, we have an 80% chance.xrulesx

But I'd love to see where the heck 68% came from.xrolleyesx

Suffice it to say that AZGriz is right on the money when he pokes fun of OldAppState299's math skills.

SoCon48
August 7th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Even though his own are horrendous. Just wonder how a person with limited math skills can tell if another's isn't correct either.
Or maybe his math teacher was a voodoo practioner from the bayous of Weesiana.

lizrdgizrd
August 7th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Even though his own are horrendous. Just wonder how a person with limited math skills can tell if another's isn't correct either.
Or maybe his math teacher was a voodoo practioner from the bayous of Weesiana.
The 68% was the poking fun part. xrolleyesx

catamount man
August 7th, 2007, 04:28 PM
well you have to consider they thread was started by a Cantamountxsmiley_wix

FU...ALWAYS!xlolx xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Eyes of Old Main
August 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Moore is the dean based off history IN THE SOCON. Ayers has coached longer at his school, but that is what it is. The fact that there is such a drop off in tenure behind Ayers and Moore shows the volatile nature of coaching.

Moore is a great coach, so is Ayers. I'm not sure of the specifics of these "comments" Ayers has made. If any media relations guy was going to keep someone under wraps it wouldn't have been Steve Shutt, it would have been Mark Cohen, his predecessor.

I suspect the complaints are relative to lack of respect, etc. but what coach hasn't played that card a few times too many?

lizrdgizrd
August 8th, 2007, 07:31 AM
Moore is the dean based off history IN THE SOCON. Ayers has coached longer at his school, but that is what it is. The fact that there is such a drop off in tenure behind Ayers and Moore shows the volatile nature of coaching.

Moore is a great coach, so is Ayers. I'm not sure of the specifics of these "comments" Ayers has made. If any media relations guy was going to keep someone under wraps it wouldn't have been Steve Shutt, it would have been Mark Cohen, his predecessor.

I suspect the complaints are relative to lack of respect, etc. but what coach hasn't played that card a few times too many?

http://images.worldcupblog.org/ira/P_Rodney_Dangerfield_1.jpg

SoCon48
August 8th, 2007, 11:14 AM

I didn't say that Steve did, but he sure inherited a ton of brushfires to put out from Ayers' comments. As far as anything I've heard, things improved in regard to the other schhools during Shutt's time there. Maybe it was just the things Shutt did himself that smoothed things out.
Anyway, Steve has gone on to bigger and better things (at Wake) like it seems many of our good SoCon people do.

SoCon48
August 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM
http://images.worldcupblog.org/ira/P_Rodney_Dangerfield_1.jpg

The picture of RD, ROFL!!!xbeerchugx

SoCon48
August 8th, 2007, 11:19 AM
The 68% was the poking fun part. xrolleyesx

Yeah, he sure would have gotten a lot of poking in math class with that kind of calculating.xrulesx