PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State Bears Qb Battle heats up

ShowMeBear2
August 5th, 2007, 07:31 AM
The race for No. 1

Kyle Neddenriep

Post Comment

The race for the starting quarterback job will be one worth watching the next couple of weeks as Missouri State moves into two-a-day practices in preparation for the Aug. 30 season opener against Missouri-Rolla.

Coach Terry Allen said Wednesday that it will take a convincing showing from true freshman Cody Kirby to win the job outright. The 5-foot-11 Kirby is a better dual-threat option than either of the sophomores — Matt Krapfl and Tyler Horner — but is obviously green.

Although it was just limited action on Wednesday, Kirby showed off a strong and accurate arm, just as advertised. He’s strong, too, looking almost more like an outside linebacker than a quarterback.

Krapfl, who won the starting job at the beginning of last season, looks like he's gained mobility in his surgically-repaired right knee since the spring. He’s not 100 percent, but he’s getting there.

“It's better,” Krapfl said. “I think by the first game it will be 100 percent. I feel like I could lead the team down the field and score some touchdowns.”

It’s up to Krapfl to earn that chance. He started four games last year, as did Tyler Horner. The number were virtually the same. Krapfl completed 59 percent of his passes for 652 yards with four touchdowns and four interceptions. Horner completed 56 percent of his for 969 yards with three touchdowns and two interceptions.

Allen has made no promises to Kirby or the two returners.

“I think it will make us better competing every day,” Krapfl said. “(Kirby) is actually my roommate and he picks up on things really fast. He asks a lot of questions and we talk a lot about football. I think having a new young guy coming in will make me and Tyler better.”

It’s hard to pick a front-runner at this point, but it may be Horner just based on Kirby’s inexperience and Krapfl’s knee. Stay tuned.