PDA

View Full Version : From a Jack to a Kingjack

ShowMeBear2
August 5th, 2007, 07:27 AM
From a Jack to a Kingjack

Running back with a superstar name possesses superstar talent.

Kyle Neddenriep
News-Leader

College recruiters were drawn by his ability to leave linebackers in the dust with a wiggle here and a waggle there. They loved his speed and soft hands catching passes out of the backfield.
His quick smile and affable personality didn't hurt, either.

But that name. How could you not love that name?

"Perfect name, right?" Missouri State football coach Terry Allen said. "I hope he lives up to his name."

Kingjack Washington sounds more like a movie star or superhero than a running back. And while it's too early to predict superstardom for a freshman on a team that finished just 2-9 last season, it's not hard to imagine that name up in lights.

So, how does one get named Kingjack? Washington laughs and says his parents, Haywood and Jacqueline, usually like to tell the story.

"Originally, I was going to be 'Jack,' " Washington said. "But when I was born, I guess my dad thought I was going to be a king or something. So they added 'King' to 'Jack.' That's what I was told anyway."

He has the on-field credentials, too. Because of his size (5-foot-9, 165 pounds), Division I-A schools cooled on Washington despite his numbers at Owasso (Okla.) High School. As a senior, he rushed for 2,133 yards and 25 touchdowns, leading his team to the Class 6A state semifinals.

His high school coach, Kirk Fridrich, even used Washington some at quarterback last year, where he hooked up with his younger brother Jacques, a receiver, on a couple of passes.

"You don't put up the statistics he did in the state of Oklahoma without being a good running back," Allen said.

"He has some of those Cody Kirby (size) issues," Allen added, mentioning the Bears' promising freshman quarterback. "Bigger schools may not recruit them because they are an inch too short or whatever, but they can still hopefully be difference maker-type guys."

Washington heads into fall camp competing with a group of running backs for playing time behind senior Gerald Davis. Jonathan Davis and Jeran Trotter have a year of experience as redshirt freshmen, but the door is open for Washington to earn his time.

Fridich said it may be tough for Allen to get Washington off the field.

"Once he gets out there and gets a couple carries, I don't know if they'll ever want to bring him out," the high school coach said. "You can do just about anything with him on the field."

Washington likes to pattern himself after LaDainian Tomlinson and Reggie Bush, two National Football League superstars who don't possess tremendous size.

But he also isn't afraid to lower a shoulder and blast through the line.

"When I was a sophomore I was more outside — outside every time," Washington said. "My running backs coach worked with me on running up the middle, staying up the middle and trusting my linemen. I might be small, but I'm not scared to run up the middle."

Washington is rooming with Gerald Davis during camp, a pairing that both said has been beneficial.

Davis says he isn't threatened by Washington despite his status as a highly touted prospect.

"Coach Allen is bringing these guys in because they can help us win," Davis said. "I don't get worried about it because it's good for the team. I know that I have to go out and prove myself, too."

Allen said the next two weeks will be a critical evaluation period for many of the young skill-position players. During the first practice on Wednesday, Washington was "coached" on a couple of occasions.

He went back to his dormitory and studied the playbook that night, trying to stay ahead of the curve.

"The coaches were telling me that even if I mess up, I need to go full speed," Washington said. "They said I need to show a little more aggression. I'll listen to the coaches, they know what they are talking about."

With that, he flashed a smile that seemed to fit perfectly with his headliner first name.

"He's what you want," Allen said. "He has good communication skills, he smiles and people like him. That's not all bad."