PDA

View Full Version : Bearkats Report

TexasTerror
August 5th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Lots of players made the commitment this summer. Let's hope that things go well for the Bearkats this year and that the commitment from the Kats corps pays off!
------------------
Football season is here

SHSU players arrive on campus excited, optimistic about 2007 campaign

By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

As the Sam Houston State football players slowly trickled into Academic Building IV on Saturday, there was a sense of excitement as the guys officially reported for fall camp.

For the first time since Todd Whitten was hired as head coach in 2005, the Bearkats are one of the preseason favorites to contend for the Southland Conference championship. Even though all they did was have a team meeting, the players and coaches are ready to get the season started.

“I’m ready to go. I’m excited because we have a really good team,” SHSU safety Carlton Cobey said. “We have a lot of new guys, and of course (quarterback) Rhett (Bomar), so the offense looks a lot better. On defense, we have a lot of guys back, and we have something to prove.”

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_story_217003415.html?keyword=topstory

Tribe4SF
August 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Good to see things looking up for the Bearkats. They didn't get a vote from me in the preseason poll, but they're on my watchlist. If the Southland can show overall improvement it will help both the Bearkats and McNeese to move up, but last year is still fresh in my mind. I'll be watching those OOC games.