PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting outside your own state?

MplsBison
August 4th, 2007, 06:49 PM
NDSU has picked up verbals for the class of 08 from MN and SD already.

The guy from SD was one of the top recruits in that state. SDSU has consistently lost top talent to NDSU, but I can't think of many ND kids going to SDSU.

Seeing how there are no FCS schools in the states of MN and WI, NDSU had had great success recruiting those states. They've been our "hotbeds" of sorts. Along with recruiting ND, we also recruit Chicago and Houston.

Now that we're moving into the Gateway, I suspect we'll focus a bit more on IL recruits.

I'd also like to see us start pulling a few kids out of Iowa. Plenty of good football players there.

Does your school stick to only your own state or do you go after kids from other states?

GOKATS
August 4th, 2007, 07:12 PM
If every DI kid in Montana went exclusively to either MSU or UM every year (lately we're split pretty even, but this year MSU picked up the cream of the crop because the griz only had a few schollies to give) either team would still have to go out of state. We're one of the largest states in the nation with 900,000+ population.

I received an updated roster yesterday of who will show up on Monday for the start of fall camp- 47 from Montana and 45 from out of state. I think the griz numbers are fairly similar.

I Bleed Purple
August 4th, 2007, 07:56 PM
WSU is very slim on in state recruits. 3 FBS schools within 70 miles does that to you. California, Hawaii, and Texas are the places WSU generally goes to. I'll take a look at the roster to see the general percentages of Utah players versus out of state.

EDIT: Last year had 32 in state guys. Abouts 33%.

SunCoastBlueHen
August 4th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Delaware avoids offering scholarships to in-state kids to a fault. Tuition for in-state kids is much cheaper at UD, so the usual approach is to try to recruit an in-state kid who is interested as a "preferred walk-on".

It's a given that Delaware is not a hot bed for D-I football talent, but it is disappointing that the kids that are talented enough usually end up somewhere else.

skinny_uncle
August 4th, 2007, 09:03 PM
SIU has at least 15 states represented on their roster. Almost half the roster is from Illinois. The second largest group (15) is, surprisingly, from Florida. Most of the team, for some reason, from states east of the Mississippi. Only 17 kids come from west of the Mississippi, mostly from Missouri and Kansas.

Seawolf97
August 4th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Stonybrook has quite a few out of state athletes- Florida, Texas, California etc. Of course we have New York , New Jersey and the rest of the Tri State area well represented.

Tribe4SF
August 4th, 2007, 09:58 PM
W&M has 99 on its current roster, with 54 from Virginia. Heaviest out-of-state representation is from PA, MD, NJ, GA and NC, in that order. Virginia recruiting is extremely competitive with Va Tech, UVA, and 8 FCS schools, but there's alot of talent available. All the East Coast FCS schools, and many FBS schools recruit Virginia.

DuckDuckGriz
August 4th, 2007, 10:02 PM
WSU is very slim on in state recruits. 3 FBS schools within 70 miles does that to you. California, Hawaii, and Texas are the places WSU generally goes to. I'll take a look at the roster to see the general percentages of Utah players versus out of state.

EDIT: Last year had 32 in state guys. Abouts 33%.

I always kinda wondered about Weber's in-states. Realistically, is it like they say: Utah & BYU and USU, WSU, and SUU all playing second fiddle? I gotta admit 33 is still pretty impressive considering you get raided from schools all around you.

rmutv
August 4th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Besides Pennsylvania, especially Western PA (Pittsburgh), Robert Morris has pipelines in New Jersey, Ohio, Maryland, New York, and....Florida?

You bet! Robert Morris head coach Joe Walton vacations quite a bit in Florida, so he has established an incredibly strong recruiting base in the Sunshine State. There are actually more Florida kids than any other state besides Pennsylvania and Ohio on the roster.

SuperJon
August 4th, 2007, 10:30 PM
We have players on our team from 17 different states and 3 different countries.

States with more than one player:

VA - 36
FL - 24
GA - 5
PA - 5
NC - 4
TN - 2
SC - 2
OH - 2
NJ - 2
WI - 2

I Bleed Purple
August 4th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I always kinda wondered about Weber's in-states. Realistically, is it like they say: Utah & BYU and USU, WSU, and SUU all playing second fiddle? I gotta admit 33 is still pretty impressive considering you get raided from schools all around you.
On that scale, USU would be second fiddle and WSU would be third. SUU is about 250 miles from the closest of the other four, so I'm not sure they're in that much competition. SUU is closer to Vegas than Salt Lake.

BYU can recruit from anywhere. Similar to Notre Dame being a religious school. Utah is more confined. They recruit in the same areas as WSU, California, Hawaii, and Texas.

McTailGator
August 4th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Does your school stick to only your own state or do you go after kids from other states?

McNeese has had players from all over the US and even one canadian.

Lake Charles is only 28 miles from the Texas boarder.

We recruit the Houston area heavily.

slostang
August 4th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Cal Poly only has two players on the 2007 roster that are from outside the state of California. Both are from Hawaii. Cal Poly does not recruit outside of California, but will look at a non California recruit that is interested in the program.

SuperJon
August 5th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Just to point out even more how we recruit nationwide, at the high school camp back in June, we had players from South Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Maine, and Michigan. The camp only lasted 3 and a half days.

hebmskebm
August 5th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Florida recruits go nationwide for a number of reasons. Its a talent rich, heavily populated state with a jaw dropping lack of non FBS schools. Out of FCS,D2,D3, and NAIA, there are only 5 schools with football programs (Bethune-Cookman, FAMU, Jacksonville, and NAIA Edward Waters and Webber Intl.) What gives?

AZGrizFan
August 5th, 2007, 02:38 AM
Florida recruits go nationwide for a number of reasons. Its a talent rich, heavily populated state with a jaw dropping lack of non FBS schools. Out of FCS,D2,D3, and NAIA, there are only 5 schools with football programs (Bethune-Cookman, FAMU, Jacksonville, and NAIA Edward Waters and Webber Intl.) What gives?

That truly is amazing when you think about it. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Brad82
August 5th, 2007, 06:33 AM
Rhody has 19 RI'ers on the roster.

PapaBear
August 5th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Maine has 17 "Mainahs" on the incoming 2007 roster of 79 players. That's the highest percentage (21.5%) of in-staters I've seen in a few years. Usually it's around 12-15%. Not a great state for HS football.

Majority of players are from MidAtlantic states -- NY, NJ, PA & MD.

813Jag
August 5th, 2007, 06:54 AM
None of the D2 schools play football, although I know University of Tampa did back in the day.
As for Southern: Louisiana-46, Texas-8, Mississippi-7, California-3, Alabama-3, Ohio-3, Florida-2, North Carolina-1

Casey_Orourke
August 5th, 2007, 08:34 AM
IMHO Portland State has not been to active in its in-state recruiting in Oregon. Most kids have opted for schools like Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, and the California schools.

In the past PSU has recruited heavily in Hawaii and junior colleges in the Pacific coast area. JG is on record stating that they are going to start going to start actively recruiting more kids in in Oregon.

But in order to do this PSU has to continue be be a winning team and also be able to move to the next level as a perennial playoff team.

UAalum72
August 5th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Albany has players from eleven states, including about 15 from New Jersey, and two or three each from FL, TX, MD, PA.

mrklean
August 5th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Most of our kids come from GA, FL and SC.

GO EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Baldy
August 5th, 2007, 09:30 AM
From our newest Roster:

Georgia 76
Florida 18
South Carolina 3
Texas 1
New Jersey 1
New York 1
Virginia 1
California 1

ngineer
August 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Lehigh's 2007 roster has 18 states represented, including PA.

Pennsylvania 34
New Jersey 25
Maryland 7
Georgia 7
Florida 6
Ohio 6
Michigan 3
California 3
Louisiana 2
New York 2
Arizona 1
Nevada 1
Massachusetts 1
North Carolina 1
Texas 1
Kentucky 1
Delaware 1
Connecticut 1

JohnStOnge
August 5th, 2007, 10:03 AM
McNeese is a very "local" team. I got my numbers looking at the roster at

http://mcneesesports.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mcne-m-footbl-mtt.html

and got distances using this "as the crow flies" distance calcluator at

http://www.indo.com/distance/

The average distance between McNeese's home town of Lake Charles, LA, and the home towns of the players is 118 miles. 74 of the 76 players on the roster come from home towns within 205 miles. 205 miles is the distance to Slidell, LA, which is few miles west of the Mississippi border.

So, basically, if you establish a radius from Lake Charles to just west of the Mississippi border and draw a circle, you'll capture the home towns of 97 percent of the players on that McNeese roster.

And drawing a circle really overstates the recruiting area. It's more a a "strip" down I-10 from the Houston metro area to the New Orleans metro area. 69 of the 76 players (91 percent) on the linked roster come from towns that are within about 40 miles of the segment of the I-10 from Houston metro to New Orleans metro.

23 players on the roster are from Texas and 51 from Louisiana; with all 23 of the Texans and 46 of the Louisianians coming from that Houston-New Orleans I-10 corridor. The two "outliers" are from Starkville, MS, (341 miles) and Hinesville, GA (697 miles).

VT Wildcat Fan53
August 5th, 2007, 10:22 AM
UNH, formerly known as UMASS-North, has actually started to spread out its recruiting base. 12 states and two foreign countries now dot the UNH 2007 roster as listed currently has 89 players. I am sure once school starts, unrecruited walk-ons will swell it to 100 or so:

MA 18
NH 13
NJ 13
NY 12
PA 10
CA 8
CT 6
VT 2
FL 2
OH 1
ME 1
RI 1
Ontario 1
Sweden 1

Of note, being my usual homer self, I'll point out that VT kids on the roster totaled 9 as recently as 3 years ago. Of those 9, 3 ended up as All-Americans (D. Ball, G. Peterson, T. Peterson). I think 6 either started or played significant time.

Last year, there were 6 VT kids, 4 of whom were starters and 1 was long snapper.

If UNH doesn't want them, you other FCS schools should start checking out our Green Mountain Boys, ... Please!, ..... xsmiley_wix

AndrewFU21
August 5th, 2007, 12:56 PM
FU has more players from Georgia than any other state. After that, most of the players come from SC, NC, AL, FL, and the rest of the southeast.

JMUFortier
August 5th, 2007, 01:21 PM
JMU's Roster (http://www.jmusports.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=14400&KEY=&SPID=8113&SPSID=71031)

As you can see, we have most of our roster from Virginia (59), which has suited us just fine in previous seasons. Our other states and territories include Pennsylvania (2), Maryland (7), Georgia (3), North Carolina (5), New Jersey (3), American Samoa (in the South Pacific Ocean, an American territory), Massachusetts, and Florida.

grizband
August 5th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Cal Poly only has two players on the 2007 roster that are from outside the state of California. Both are from Hawaii. Cal Poly does not recruit outside of California, but will look at a non California recruit that is interested in the program.

Do they really need to look anywhere else? :D

Montana's players breakdown by state as follows:

AZ - 1
BC - 1
CA - 6
CO - 8
HI - 1
ID - 4
IL - 1
MT - 48
NV - 1
OR - 2
SK - 1
TN - 1
TX - 1
WA - 15
WY - 1

Alaska has produced some good recruits, including the all-time leading rusher (Yohance Humphrey) for the Griz. I am too young to remember, but I have heard stories and seen team photos that indicate we use to recruit Samoa pretty hard, with quite a few players from that area.

CopperCat
August 5th, 2007, 09:28 PM

This doesn't surprise me, as Cali has plenty of JC's and HS's to choose from. But what DOES amaze me is that Cal Poly can be as good as it is, and Sac St. can be as BAD as it is year in and year out. Somebody is getting it done over there, and somebody isn't. You be the judge.

AggieFinn
August 5th, 2007, 10:04 PM
All Cali. It costs a lot to come from out of state to be at UC Davis, I'm not sure if scholarships are upped for out of state student-athletes, or whether they are the same, I imagine they're treated the same as any other potential incoming student. There's plenty of talent in Cali though for an athletic pass oriented offense, as well as a quick gang tackling defense.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/119/290008106_3cbe9b7d68.jpg?v=0

SoCon48
August 5th, 2007, 10:17 PM
NDSU has picked up verbals for the class of 08 from MN and SD already.

The guy from SD was one of the top recruits in that state. SDSU has consistently lost top talent to NDSU, but I can't think of many ND kids going to SDSU.
Seeing how there are no FCS schools in the states of MN and WI, NDSU had had great success recruiting those states. They've been our "hotbeds" of sorts. Along with recruiting ND, we also recruit Chicago and Houston.
Now that we're moving into the Gateway, I suspect we'll focus a bit more on IL recruits.

I'd also like to see us start pulling a few kids out of Iowa. Plenty of good football players there.

If a program can sign who they want from within their state, it's much much more advantageous:

1. Avoid having to pay higher out of state tuition costs with the scholarship money.
2. Much better fan appeal for the gate.
3. You're more likely to know what you're getting. (talent, level of competition the athlete faced, any disciplinary problems, trouble, etc)
4. Lless likely to transfer out or drop.

ucdtim17
August 5th, 2007, 10:33 PM
All Cali. It costs a lot to come from out of state to be at UC Davis, I'm not sure if scholarships are upped for out of state student-athletes, or whether they are the same, I imagine they're treated the same as any other potential incoming student. There's plenty of talent in Cali though for an athletic pass oriented offense, as well as a quick gang tackling defense.

We did however sign QB Sean Maraz out of Arizona last year. Biggs said they weren't planning on signing a QB (not sure why that is - by my count without him we'd only have 2 QB's on the roster for '08) but that he was too good to pass up. Hopefully he's right

Jacks02
August 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
In our D2 days Jackrabbit recruits were primarily from SD, MN, IA, and NE with random other states sprinkled in. However, in the last couple years in the transition to FCS in addition to all the extra added scholarships, it appears we are now able to land some better prospects from more and more states.

Here is the breakdown for South Dakota State University from the roster listed on Gojacks.com

South Dakota 22
Matt Anderson SR
Chris Doblar SR
Trevor Hohn SR
Justin Horn SR
Tyler Koch SR
Dusty LeBrun SR
Chris Wagner SR
Ryan Berry JR
Adam Fritz JR
Scott Gillen JR
Jaron Harris JR
Nash Simet JR
Jordan Paula SO
Mike Steffen SO
Tyler Duffy rFR
Matt Hylland rFR
Konrad Kjerstad rFR
Ryan McKnight rFR
Antonio Thompson rFR
Casey Elshere FR
Brad Iverson FR
Jake Steffen FR

Iowa 18
Paul Aanonson SR
Brock Gentile SR
Andrew Hoogeveen SR
Cory Koenig SR
Brock Campbell JR
Luke Greving JR
Jason Nobiling JR
Glen Fox SO
Chris Johnson SO
Nate Koskovich SO
Brian Fischer rFR
Austin Frain rFR
Peter Reifenrath rFR
Erich Feller FR
John Kirwan FR
Dirk Kool FR
Woody Orne FR
Teddy Shonka FR

Minnesota 17
Reed Burckhardt SR
Mitch Erickson SR
Justin Kubesh SR
Mitch Pontrelli SR
Kevin Robling JR
Eric Schroeder JR
Nick Van Wyhe JR
Casey Knips SO
Kyle Sheehan SO
Ben Aaseth rFR
Derek Domino rFR
Corey Jeske rFR
Kyle Minett rFR
Dean Priddy rFR
Zach Buchner FR
Dominique Clare FR
Sam Kavanagh FR

Nebraska 13
Preston Crumly SR
Parker Douglass SR
Luke Witte SR
Nick Flesner JR
Ruey Dei JR
Steven Bazata SO
Casey Bender SO
Jacob Ludemann SO
Adam Monke SO
Evan Skiles SO
Jared Crumly rFR
Jim Ebke FR
Nolan Johnson FR

Arizona 5
Danny Batten SO
Ryan Crawfor SO
Britton Gouch SO
Isaiah Jachson SO
Jimmy Rogers SO

Wisconsin 5
Alex Beyer rFR
Colin Cochart fFR
Stefan Geissler rFR
Justin Mitchell rFR
Brian Luedtke FR

Texas 5
Jordan Miranda SO
Ross Basham rFR
James Britt FR
Anthony Wise FR
Eric Wood FR

California 2
Jason Bonwell SR
Joseph Blackman SO

Georgia 1
Cole Brodie FR

Illinois 1
Austin Lalich FR

Kansas 1
Brandon Gant FR

Missouri 1
Rodkem Mathews FR

Wyoming 1
Steven Gray rFR

GOKATS
August 5th, 2007, 11:12 PM

With the talent base in CA along with the extremely low (practically non-existant tuition), why would any CA school, especially FCS, recruit out of state. Hell, it costs MSU or um a ton of money to bring in an out of state player- it also costs probably 10 times what you're paying to schollie an in state kid).

GeeWiz
August 5th, 2007, 11:13 PM
CA - 4
FL - 5
GA - 4
VA - 2
AZ - 1
IA - 1

All the rest are from the New England and Middle Atlantic states