PDA

View Full Version : New Chattanooga Unis

chattanoogamocs
August 1st, 2007, 03:21 PM
photos courtesy of yours truly at Mocfans.com :)

http://www.mocfans.com/images/newunism.jpg

http://www.mocfans.com/images/helmetsm.jpg

813Jag
August 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM
photo courtesy of yours truly at Mocfans.com :)

Looks like Georgia Tech jerseys. What kind of logo is on the helmet.

bigbluetiger
August 1st, 2007, 03:25 PM
Looks like Vandy.

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 03:30 PM
Is it me, or is that black and gold? xconfusedx

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 03:31 PM
I agree they do look like Vandy's except for the helmet.

I like themxthumbsupx

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 03:33 PM
Looks like Georgia Tech jerseys. What kind of logo is on the helmet.
No kidding, even the stripes. Then again, we have Michigan's helmets so who am I to talk? :p

http://www.buzzbrockway.com/images/calvinjohnson.jpg

WCU LawCat
August 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM
I do like the helmet MUCH better that previous helmets. The uniforms are ok.

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 03:36 PM
I agree they do look like Vandy's except for the helmet.
Vandy's gold is lighter color. Looks like Russell makes GT's too, so they actually are the exact same minus the school name.

UNHWildCats
August 1st, 2007, 03:38 PM
Is it me, or is that black and gold? xconfusedx

Looks like a very dark green

carney2
August 1st, 2007, 03:42 PM
Are the Mocs named after the indian footwear or the cottonmouth variety snake or...? I had always assumed the snakes, but I noticed that one of the helmets of days gone by had an indian lance on it similar to Florida State's.

89Hen
August 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Are the Mocs named after the indian footwear or the cottonmouth variety snake or...? I had always assumed the snakes, but I noticed that one of the helmets of days gone by had an indian lance on it similar to Florida State's.
Kudos for them to try to create excitement around their program, but as an outsider, it's confusing as hell. They have a blue and gold club but appear to have changed their unis to black and gold. They appear to have had a spear and a train engine for their logo and a stork dressed as an engineer for a mascot. I'm completely xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Stang Fever
August 1st, 2007, 03:46 PM

someone please tell them that the 80's are over. No need for anyone to model ne uni's wearing a damn neck roll. Secondly if you are going to have uni's that are copied from someone dont leave out the part that makes them at lest wearable. (by not putting the number on the shoulder pads brings those to the 80's...only missing is the guys showing there abs

chattanoogamocs
August 1st, 2007, 03:52 PM
Wow, thanks guys, xthumbsupx

Maybe I should have just put this in the smack talk section.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 03:54 PM
Wow, thanks guys, xthumbsupx

Maybe I should have just put this in the smack talk section.

You know us - - wannabe fashion criticsxlolx

Like I said, I like themxnodx

TheValleyRaider
August 1st, 2007, 03:56 PM
The gold really does make the navy look like black. I mean, yeah they do resemble GT, but at the same time it's a slightly different look for the school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not terrible, really.

chattanoogamocs
August 1st, 2007, 04:06 PM
These are the exact (original) colors for the school. Over the years, everything kept getting yellower (yeller).

The navy blue and the gold unveiled today match identically to the stripe colors on the first helmet on the right (UC circa 1960's).

Tod
August 1st, 2007, 04:07 PM
They look great! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

slycat
August 1st, 2007, 04:27 PM
unis look good. now oregon has a rival for most helmets.

NoCoDanny
August 1st, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm assuming they are only wearing the helmet on the right and the others are historical helmets just set out to provide context.

MplsBison
August 1st, 2007, 05:06 PM
http://www.buzzbrockway.com/images/calvinjohnson.jpghttp://www.mocfans.com/images/newunism.jpg

Are you kidding me!?!?!

Those are exact duplicates!!!

Wow, the folks over at Russell must be paying lights out to the creative department.

The Cats
August 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM

the new uniforms look good... and IMHO the new helmets are a BIG inprovement over that train frontend.

chattanoogamocs
August 1st, 2007, 05:47 PM
I'm assuming they are only wearing the helmet on the right and the others are historical helmets just set out to provide context.

Yeah, from right to left...1960's "C", 1970's "Mocs" (right when the private UofC joined the UT System), the 1980's to 1996 "spear" (T.O. era), and then the 2000's "cowcatcher". There was also a "scrappy" helmet between the spear and cowcatcher.

Personally, I could care less if they are the same as GT or not. They say CHATTANOOGA in big letters and they are the original colors of my alma mater, that is all the matters to me.

ButlerGSU
August 1st, 2007, 05:53 PM
I do like the helmet MUCH better that previous helmets. The uniforms are ok.

I agree, I like the look of the helmets from what I can see but I don't really like the uniforms.

UNHWildCats
August 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
to be fair the Chatty ones dont have numbers on the sleeves so their not exactly the same lol

appsfan
August 1st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Good job, I like the new unis. xthumbsupx I guess we'll see them this year.

chattanoogamocs
August 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Good job, I like the new unis. xthumbsupx I guess we'll see them this year.

They will be home and road this year, so yes, you definitely will :)

Eagle22
August 1st, 2007, 11:40 PM
I saw these up close at the SoCon rouser, and they are a definite improvement IMO over the old uniform.

The helmets are a very, very dark blue ... and could almost pass for black. They'll look black at night, no doubt.

WCU LawCat
August 1st, 2007, 11:56 PM
In my opinion if the color is the real school color then it is ok if they almost look black

Zoo
August 2nd, 2007, 01:27 AM
You guys look just like Georgia Tech just like it was previously stated, all the way down to the Russell Athletic company making them.

I like your helmets though, I don't know why.

Zoo
August 2nd, 2007, 01:28 AM
They will be home and road this year, so yes, you definitely will :)

Seriously? xconfusedx

chattanoogamocs
August 2nd, 2007, 01:44 AM
Seriously? xconfusedx

Yep, the colors don't conflict with anyone on the schedule, so they will just do the one set...next season they will add a secondary color scheme for road unis.

The department has a ton of projects going on right now (new basketball practice facility, new video scoreboard for the arena, new scoreboard and sound system at Finley Stadium, new website, new women's golf team, new golf practice facility, 6 new fulltime staff members, etc, etc), so I guess there is nothing wrong with being a little frugal when you can.

When I visit my friends in the SID office or the ticket department, or talk to some of the coaches, I get exhausted just listening to all the things the new AD has planned for this year. xthumbsupx

Now all they need to do is figure out how to put a winner on the football field.

813Jag
August 2nd, 2007, 08:26 AM
I think they look good. My original comment was the first thing that came to my mind. It wasn't a slight to you guys. xpeacex
We looked like West Virginia for awhile only our blue was lighter.

Kill'em
August 2nd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Personally, I could care less if they are the same as GT or not. They say CHATTANOOGA in big letters and they are the original colors of my alma mater, that is all the matters to me.

Well put.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:35 AM
The navy blue and the gold unveiled today match identically to the stripe colors on the first helmet on the right (UC circa 1960's).
Then I take back all my negative comments and hope the school sticks with the real colors. xthumbsupx They need to fire the person that put the royal blue in there.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 10:38 AM
next season they will add a secondary color scheme for road unis.
Red? jk :p

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 11:33 AM
I could care less if they are the same as GT or not. They say CHATTANOOGA in big letters and they are the original colors of my alma mater, that is all the matters to me.

So you wouldn't care if Russia decided that they wanted their flag to be exactly the same as the US flag, just as long as it said "Russia" on it?

Red, white, and Blue are the original colors of Russia, after all.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 11:41 AM
So you wouldn't care if Russia decided that they wanted their flag to be exactly the same as the US flag, just as long as it said "Russia" on it?

Red, white, and Blue are the original colors of Russia, after all.

I'd care but these are uniforms not country's flagsxrolleyesx

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 12:11 PM
It's a logically valid analogy.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
It's a logically valid analogy.

It lacks the same importance and therefore it is not.

HiHiYikas
August 2nd, 2007, 12:16 PM
I like them, personally. UTC can now become the envy of scores of curmudgeonly App State fans for whom the departure of 'old-gold' from ASU's jerseys is the worst thing they can remember since the teapot dome scandal.

Anyhow, there are 300-ish D-I football programs out there, and who knows how many in lower classifications.

When you've got several hundred programs, and only about 10 uniform styles/configurations that look good, you'd best have a lot of teams out there looking a little like twins. That or an inordinate number of God-awful uni's (that is, more than there are already out there).

There are vastly more teams than there are good-lloking uniforms. If you want to look good, you're just going to look like somebody else. If you want to innovate, you could always do something like this...

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 12:37 PM
When you've got several hundred programs, and only about 10 uniform styles/configurations that look good, you'd best have a lot of teams out there looking a little like twins. That or an inordinate number of God-awful uni's (that is, more than there are already out there).
Normally I'd agree, but given that GT's are also made by Russell, I think that UT-C got the short end of the creativity stick. I mean, at least change the stripes on the sleeves.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 12:58 PM
It lacks the same importance and therefore it is not.

Importance is subjective, therefore the analogy is still logically valid.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Importance is irrelevant to the analogy and therefore it is.

Kinda like saying "Oh my you're sick, but I guess it doesn't matter if you have a cold or cancer" xrolleyesx

The analogy is misleading - flags represent countries. Football uniforms represent only a small part of the school.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 01:05 PM
flags represent countries. Football uniforms represent only a small part of the school.

But the analogy is still logically valid.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 01:06 PM
But the analogy is still logically valid.

Only if you are extremely hard headedxsmiley_wix

HiHiYikas
August 2nd, 2007, 01:12 PM
Flags also give designers a huge amount of leeway when it comes to incorporating design elements. Some flags are very simple, with large fields of one or two colors. Some flags feature intricate seals or other graphics. When two look almost exactly alike, such as Mexico and Italy, a seal can be added to distinguish between the two. You can't do that with a football uniform. Not if you're smart, anyway.

When you're designing football uniforms, the design elements at your disposal are miniscule compared to what's available for flag designs. You're pretty much limited to color and a few types of very basic shapes that can be used (in the form of stripes, very simple logos, etc.) Text is another possibility.

It's not a place to demonstrate your creativity. Not in any way, shape, or form. If you want to get creative, you'll probably end up looking stupid.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 01:13 PM
Things that are subjective (like importance, which changes from person to person) do not apply to logic.

If A=C and B=D, then if A does not imply B, C does not imply D.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 01:14 PM
It's not a place to demonstrate your creativity. Not in any way, shape, or form.

Utterly it is.

The days of the 60's uniforms like Penn State (the worst in CFB) are long dead and thankfully so.

89Hen
August 2nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Importance is subjective
Not in this case.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 2nd, 2007, 01:29 PM
Utterly it is.

The days of the 60's uniforms like Penn State (the worst in CFB) are long dead and thankfully so.

That is why the "creative" uniforms made it on Sport's Illustrateds Top 10 List and the "creative" uniforms managed to stay off the Worst 10....

Doh!

HiHiYikas
August 2nd, 2007, 01:32 PM
Utterly it is.

It really isn't. The tools and elements simply aren't there. It's a very limited medium. The uniforms I've designed are some of the least 'creative' pieces in my portfolio. You're much more likely to flex your creativity with a good logo, a T-shirt, an advertisement, a magazine cover, a website...anything, really.

The degree of difference between the simplest and the most complex websites is vast. The degree of difference between the simplest and the most creative corporate logos is vast. The degree of difference between simplest and the most complex national flags is pretty huge.

The degree of difference between simplest and the most complex football uniforms flags is, by comparison, very very small.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
The degree of difference between simplest and the most complex football uniforms is, by comparison, very very small.

It's roughly the same as the degree of difference between the simplest and most complex country flags.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Not in this case.

It always is, as you just proved.

GtFllsGriz
August 2nd, 2007, 04:02 PM
Very sharp. I thought they were black and gold but apparently it is a very dark blue? Either way, they are great looking unis'.

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
I thought they were black and gold but apparently it is a very dark blue?

I believe it's called "Georgia Tech Blue".

HiHiYikas
August 2nd, 2007, 04:37 PM
It's roughly the same as the degree of difference between the simplest and most complex country flags.
No it isn't, not by a wide margin. Go back and check your design textbooks from college.

Libya's flag
http://groups.wfu.edu/ModelUN/images/Flags/libya_flag.jpg

St. Pierre & Miquelon's flag.
http://flagspot.net/images/p/pm.gif

Serbia:
http://www.axisglobe.com/Image/2007/01/11/Serbia/1.jpg

Spain (detail)
http://www.tomaspain.com/images/spain_crest.jpg

You can do some interesting things with a football jersey. But I'm not aware of a college football uniform with seven colors, text, and 8 or 9 different symbols on it. I'm not even aware of a seven-color uniform. You just don't have that kind of leeway when it comes to designing uni's.

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
No it isn't, not by a wide margin. Go back and check your design textbooks from college.

Libya's flag
http://groups.wfu.edu/ModelUN/images/Flags/libya_flag.jpg

St. Pierre & Miquelon's flag.
http://flagspot.net/images/p/pm.gif

Serbia:
http://www.axisglobe.com/Image/2007/01/11/Serbia/1.jpg

Spain (detail)
http://www.tomaspain.com/images/spain_crest.jpg

You can do some interesting things with a football jersey. But I'm not aware of a college football uniform with seven colors, text, and 8 or 9 different symbols on it. I'm not even aware of a seven-color uniform. You just don't have that kind of leeway when it comes to designing uni's.

Libya's flag is an interesting design xnodx

MplsBison
August 2nd, 2007, 07:42 PM
I'm not aware of a college football uniform with seven colors, text, and 8 or 9 different symbols on it. I'm not even aware of a seven-color uniform. You just don't have that kind of leeway when it comes to designing uni's.

Of course you do.

A school could do that if they wanted.

Simply none have wanted to yet.

HiHiYikas
August 2nd, 2007, 09:38 PM
Of course you do.

A school could do that if they wanted.

Simply none have wanted to yet.
For good reason. And thus, we return to my earlier observation, that there is (rightly) a pretty narrow spectrum of 'creativity' when it comes to football uniforms. Much narrower than you'll find in other areas of the design world.

And when I say 'leeway' I don't mean you can't do it, I mean you won't do it if you're a decent designer. You won't request it if you're a decent AD or coach. You won't enjoy it if you're a sensible fan.

I 'had the leeway' to do this kind of thing with the AGS logo, but if I routinely did ridiculous stuff like that when it doesn't fit the project, I wouldn't be able to make a living as a designer.

OL FU
August 3rd, 2007, 06:58 AM
For good reason. And thus, we return to my earlier observation, that there is (rightly) a pretty narrow spectrum of 'creativity' when it comes to football uniforms. Much narrower than you'll find in other areas of the design world.

And when I say 'leeway' I don't mean you can't do it, I mean you won't do it if you're a decent designer. You won't request it if you're a decent AD or coach. You won't enjoy it if you're a sensible fan.

I 'had the leeway' to do this kind of thing with the AGS logo, but if I routinely did ridiculous stuff like that when it doesn't fit the project, I wouldn't be able to make a living as a designer.

I think we have met the immovable object.xnodx

Now where did I put my irresistible force. xlolx

813Jag
August 3rd, 2007, 07:06 AM
Man, MplsBison is like a one man thread wrecking crew.

OL FU
August 3rd, 2007, 07:24 AM
This thread has to come to an end. Way to many posts for a thread about Chattanoogaxnodx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

TheValleyRaider
August 9th, 2007, 11:40 PM
The Helmet Project recently added the new helmet, and in that medium, it looks pretty sharp xthumbsupx

Yosef84
August 10th, 2007, 02:35 PM

Chattanooga used to be the Moccasins using an Indian theme (not the snake). A few years ago, in the spirit of political correctness that is being pushed on teams with Indian mascots, they revised the logo to that of a trains (Chattanooga Choo Choo) and the Mockingbird (Mocs). The official mascot was shortedn from Moccasins to Mocs at that time.

Anyone with better information, feel free to add you two cents.