PDA

View Full Version : Southern Conference Football Situational Standouts

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 10:16 AM
Creative way of looking at certain SoCon Players.

SouthernPigskin.com contributor Josh Buchanan takes a playful look at the Southern Conference and picks the top player or coach in various categories and situations.

The Southern Conference season opens on Thursday, Aug. 30 when Carson-Newman plays at Chattanooga in a non-conference tilt.

Under center in the fourth quarter: Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State
Zipping the key pass into a small window: Renaldo Gray, Furman
Scrambling out of a broken play: Armanti Edwards, Appalachian State
Carrying the football 25 times a game: Kevin Richardson, Appalachian State

http://www.soconsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4000&ATCLID=1139629

SoCon48
August 1st, 2007, 10:47 AM
That really didn't take a lot of creativity or writing ability.

ashram
August 1st, 2007, 10:56 AM
I enjoyed it, regardless of how difficult it was to come up with and write.

Furman's receivers have gotten no love in any preseason write-ups. I think Adam Mims and RJ Webb will be huge this year.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM
That really didn't take a lot of creativity or writing ability.

:p I meant the method was creative at least not typical. oh did I forget :p xlolx

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
I would much rather have Hatcher or Moore running the offense than Ayers and I'm biased towards the triple option...

Foster doesn't have amazing hands (they are good, but not the best on GSU's team even), I'm not sure he should be the "possession reciever" of the SoCon. Screen pass, definately. Possession snag, I'd set him up some other way or go to somebody else. And if you really think about it, if we are going for it on 4th and some the other team's defense is going to have Jayson atleast double covered.

Catching a swing pass out of the backfield: It could either be Richardson or anyone in the backfield for GSU this year. We are going to be using the swing, swoop, and shoot very often. It's a big part of the new attack if there is no blitz.

Nobody scrambles like Foster. Read into that one...

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM

I would not disagree with the above let's face it. you have to write about the way things are - - - - not the way things would be if Foster was still the QB.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 1st, 2007, 12:40 PM
I would not disagree with the above let's face it. you have to write about the way things are - - - - not the way things would be if Foster was still the QB.

Foster has been taking snaps @ QB during practice. Add that to your list of worries.

OL FU
August 1st, 2007, 12:52 PM
Foster has been taking snaps @ QB during practice. Add that to your list of worries.

I have too many other things to worry about:p :D Point is still the same. Since he will probably not be the starting QB, I would have listed it the same way.

mrklean
August 1st, 2007, 12:56 PM
Beware of the 2007 Hatch Attack!!!!!!!!!!!!

terrierbob
August 1st, 2007, 03:24 PM
I would much rather have Hatcher or Moore running the offense than Ayers and I'm biased towards the triple option...

Past five years: Wofford's triple option 4, GSU's 1. I'll take Lang and Ayers.

CharlestonAppFan
August 1st, 2007, 03:34 PM

Past five years: Wofford 0 NC, GSU 0 NC, ASU 2 NC. I'll take some more Moore...thank you.xsmiley_wix :p

terrierbob
August 1st, 2007, 04:04 PM
[QUOTE=CharlestonAppFan;607541]Past five years: Wofford 0 NC, GSU 0 NC, ASU 2 NC. I'll take some more Moore...

I think it's players in App State's case. The reason I earlier compared you to the ACC is that you LOOK like an ACC team when you come on to the field.
BTW- 2002 is in the past 5 years, isn't it? Wofford won that year in the hills.

james_lawfirm
August 1st, 2007, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=CharlestonAppFan;607541]Past five years: Wofford 0 NC, GSU 0 NC, ASU 2 NC. I'll take some more Moore...

I think it's players in App State's case. The reason I earlier compared you to the ACC is that you LOOK like an ACC team when you come on to the field.
BTW- 2002 is in the past 5 years, isn't it? Wofford won that year in the hills.

Ah, this is the chicken or the egg argument in football. Is it the coach that is responsible for the success or the players? Now, if you asked Coach Moore, I'll guarantee you he will say it is the players that he has had the last two years that are responsible. However, don't believe a word of it. Were it not for Coach Moore, ASU would be like many, many talented FCS squads that make a noise in the playoffs but don't quite pull it off. It takes a special coach to settle on a certain scheme for offense and defense, recruit just the right players to run that offense and defense, instill character and intestinal fortitude (e.g. "guts") into your entire organization, keep the fans and the alumni happy at the same time, and (last but not least) win football games.

An example from another sport: In about 1982 or 3, Stan Albeck coached the San Antonio Spurs to a 7 game series Western Conference final vs. the LA Lakers (Jabbar & Co.). The Spurs had Artis Gilmore & George Gerving. Although they lost that 7th game by 1 point to the eventual NBA champion Lakers that year, they played the Lakers tougher than anyone else in the league. (Gilmore was the only person who could come close to defending the "sky hook".) In the very next year, the Spurs let Coach Albeck go (to NJ, I think), but had virtually the SAME squad back, including Gerving & Gilmore. They finished dead last in the Western Conference. Lesson: the coach of a team matters more than most people think - and the lesson is the same in football.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM

Go look up the following and then you will see why I said what I said:

Ayer's offense total yards and 3rd down conversion rate.

Hatcher's offense total yards and 3rd down conversion rate.

Moore's offense total yards and 3rd down conversion rate.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 1st, 2007, 07:46 PM
[QUOTE=terrierbob;607569]

Ah, this is the chicken or the egg argument in football. Is it the coach that is responsible for the success or the players? Now, if you asked Coach Moore, I'll guarantee you he will say it is the players that he has had the last two years that are responsible. However, don't believe a word of it. Were it not for Coach Moore, ASU would be like many, many talented FCS squads that make a noise in the playoffs but don't quite pull it off. It takes a special coach to settle on a certain scheme for offense and defense, recruit just the right players to run that offense and defense, instill character and intestinal fortitude (e.g. "guts") into your entire organization, keep the fans and the alumni happy at the same time, and (last but not least) win football games.

An example from another sport: In about 1982 or 3, Stan Albeck coached the San Antonio Spurs to a 7 game series Western Conference final vs. the LA Lakers (Jabbar & Co.). The Spurs had Artis Gilmore & George Gerving. Although they lost that 7th game by 1 point to the eventual NBA champion Lakers that year, they played the Lakers tougher than anyone else in the league. (Gilmore was the only person who could come close to defending the "sky hook".) In the very next year, the Spurs let Coach Albeck go (to NJ, I think), but had virtually the SAME squad back, including Gerving & Gilmore. They finished dead last in the Western Conference. Lesson: the coach of a team matters more than most people think - and the lesson is the same in football.

It's both the chicken and the egg in this scenario. Moore's spread option no huddle offense with 4 different tempos is awesome. Anyone who has looked at the X's and O's of that offense knows how great it is.

psc2445
August 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM

Foster doesn't have amazing hands (they are good, but not the best on GSU's team even), I'm not sure he should be the "possession reciever" of the SoCon. Screen pass, definately. Possession snag, I'd set him up some other way or go to somebody else. And if you really think about it, if we are going for it on 4th and some the other team's defense is going to have Jayson atleast double covered.

Catching a swing pass out of the backfield: It could either be Richardson or anyone in the backfield for GSU this year. We are going to be using the swing, swoop, and shoot very often. It's a big part of the new attack if there is no blitz.

HOMER HOMERTON!

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
HOMER HOMERTON!

#1- I said I'd take either Moore or Hatcher's offense. Not being a homer, any person who has a deep understanding of the 3 offenses would agree.

#2- I didn't pick the whole list and say GSU players should be in all the spots. I only said I disagreed with 3. If I was "Homer Homerton" I would have put a GSU player in every slot. I know that on defense with the exception of Jackson, the other SoCon players are a much better fit than GSU's.

james_lawfirm
August 2nd, 2007, 08:03 AM
[QUOTE=james_lawfirm;607645]

It's both the chicken and the egg in this scenario. Moore's spread option no huddle offense with 4 different tempos is awesome. Anyone who has looked at the X's and O's of that offense knows how great it is.

Yep. I'll agree with that. xnodx xnodx xnodx

OL FU
August 2nd, 2007, 08:08 AM

Homerism aside. Let's assume you are right about Hatcher. How could a sports writer put Hatcher in the SoCon list when he hasn't coached a down in the Socon?xeyebrowx

ElonPride
August 2nd, 2007, 08:16 AM

That's apples and oranges!!!! How can you even start compare Hatcher's D-II stats with the stats of 2 PROVEN coaches in FCS (I-AA)?

SoCon48
August 2nd, 2007, 08:19 AM
Tell 'em EP!

blueballs
August 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM

Past 5 years: Wofford's triple option 4, GSU's 1. I'll take Lang and Ayers.

Past 15 years: Wofford's triple option SoCon titles 1, GSU 8.
Past 22 years: Wofford's triple option's national titles 0, GSU 6.

Not to mention GSU averaged over 40 ppg about 7 times in that period and had the all time leading rusher and touchdown scorer in college football history and another back in the top 10.

I'll take the former GSU spread option every time and twice on Sundays.

blueballs
August 2nd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Past five years: Wofford 0 NC, GSU 0 NC, ASU 2 NC. I'll take some more Moore...thank you.xsmiley_wix :p

Touche'

ElonPride
August 2nd, 2007, 12:26 PM
opps,double posted :(

ElonPride
August 2nd, 2007, 12:28 PM
Tell 'em EP!
Sorry man, I know Elon's had a bad team since '99....and I'll probably catch some heat for that last post about "Hatch Stats"........but come on, right?!?! xlolx His coaching ability is unproven at this level!!!

To keep up the spirit of this thread, I will say, Elon's WR core will probably be beast this year, even with a redshirt freshman at the helm. Not many DBs in this league can guard Hudgins.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 2nd, 2007, 12:42 PM
That's apples and oranges!!!! How can you even start compare Hatcher's D-II stats with the stats of 2 PROVEN coaches in FCS (I-AA)?

Easily. Mumme taught Hatcher and Leach his offense. All 3 of them have been extremely sucessful running it no matter if it is Division I, I-AA, or II.

The Air Raid Offense is a west coast passing cousin of the triple option. It's designed to confuse and demoralize the defense. It sets up runs with short passes, provides excellent pass protection because the back picks up the blitz, is very diverse and fast paced. It's dang hard to read and stop.

ElonPride
August 3rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Easily. Mumme taught Hatcher and Leach his offense. All 3 of them have been extremely sucessful running it no matter if it is Division I, I-AA, or II.

The Air Raid Offense is a west coast passing cousin of the triple option. It's designed to confuse and demoralize the defense. It sets up runs with short passes, provides excellent pass protection because the back picks up the blitz, is very diverse and fast paced. It's dang hard to read and stop.

So because Mumme taught Hatcher, that means his stats from a D-II school are equal to that of Ayers and Moore (who's coming off 2 DIVISION 1 NCs)? Come on man! xnonox

SoCon48
August 3rd, 2007, 10:07 AM
So because Mumme taught Hatcher, that means his stats from a D-II school are equal to that of Ayers and Moore (who's coming off 2 DIVISION 1 NCs)? Come on man! xnonox

Yep. Elon and all of us who moved up know how the stats from lower divisions translate in I-AA.

blueballs
August 3rd, 2007, 10:50 AM
The fact that Hatcher didn't win those games against a slightly stronger division doesn't mean he can't coach. He didn't go 76-12 and win a NC by being a poor coach.

We'll all find out soon enough how good a coach Hatcher is in FCS. I really think if you're going to get GSU it had better be this year but we'll see in about 5 weeks.

OL FU
August 3rd, 2007, 11:07 AM
The fact that Hatcher didn't win those games against a slightly stronger division doesn't mean he can't coach. He didn't go 76-12 and win a NC by being a poor coach.

We'll all find out soon enough how good a coach Hatcher is in FCS. I really think if you're going to get GSU it had better be this year but we'll see in about 5 weeks.

I hope no one is saying he can't coach. I think you can't put him on a SoCon list until he has coached in the SoCon or at least FCSxnodx

SoCon48
August 3rd, 2007, 01:10 PM

No one has said he can't coach. Just said that his D2 credentials don't automatically relate to how he will do in D I.
It's analogous to a high school all-american entering college football carrying all his press clippings. Just have to wait and see what shakes out.xeyebrowx
Maybe another Derk or he may be another..well you know.

Blueandwhitefightfight
August 3rd, 2007, 01:39 PM

Actually he did beat either FIU or FAU right before they moved up. If I recall correctly, the score wasn't pretty either.

blueballs
August 3rd, 2007, 03:20 PM
Actually he did beat either FIU or FAU right before they moved up. If I recall correctly, the score wasn't pretty either.

It was FAU the year they made the semi-finals in 1-AA and beat MTSU. I think VSU laid 45 on them if memory serves correctly.