PDA

View Full Version : Duquesne Picked to Win MAAC

rmutv
July 31st, 2007, 03:41 PM
http://www.maacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87836&SPID=10433&DB_OEM_ID=17400&ATCLID=1139481

Duquesne picked to win the MAAC in their final year in the conference, and perhaps the final year of the MAAC in general.

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
http://www.maacsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=87836&SPID=10433&DB_OEM_ID=17400&ATCLID=1139481

Duquesne picked to win the MAAC in their final year in the conference, and perhaps the final year of the MAAC in general.

That's interesting. Where is Duquesne supposed to be going? Marist sure is the name in that league these days. We know all about them.

Dane96
July 31st, 2007, 03:50 PM
Are you serious?

Marist is not the name team in the league...Duquense has ruled the roost for years...with Marist at their necks.

Duquense is going to the NEC with 30 scholarships.

And yes, unless they merge with someone...the MAAC is in its final season.

RaiderInTheZone
July 31st, 2007, 03:52 PM
Are you serious?

Marist is not the name team in the league...Duquense has ruled the roost for years...with Marist at their necks.

I was wondering how they were able to operate with only four members. We play Marist in other sports from time to time. Their women's basketball team upset us this past season in the NCAA Women's Tournament.

Salty Dog
July 31st, 2007, 04:04 PM
Remember Iona beat Duquense at their home last year!! Iona has the whole defense unit coming back and healthy. Iona has a new big time QB coach with a new QB and a strong running game. Iona has New Hampshire and Cal Poly on there schedule this year. Who else in the MAAC has two teams that are ranked that high on their schedule? Iona will win the MAAC!

Dane96
July 31st, 2007, 04:22 PM
And your point? So Iona overscheduled with an underfunded team...GREAT.

I actually feel for the IONA program because the school needs to give them the support they deserve.

Frankly, Iona should not be playing Cal Poly. The cost of that trip should be spent on the program. If you said Montana (with the huge guarantees) I would say maybe.

That being said, anyone saying that Duquense hasnt been the class of the MAAC is being ridiculous. Yeah, you upset them...lots of teams upset teams, however it doesnt make the team losing less of the class of the league if they have been on that perch for a decade.

Believe me, I like Iona...I have been following that school since I was in high school and a bunch of guys I know played for them...and then through college...the Tom Proudian days.

mvemjsunpx
July 31st, 2007, 04:45 PM
Are you serious?

Well, the MAAC should be in its final season for football, but they will obviously still exist for other sports.

And Duquesne probably isn't the overall "name" team in the MAAC, since they play in the A-10 in other sports.

Dane96
July 31st, 2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks for the update...that is some interesting news...I never knew that. Albany fans have no idea about the MAAC...who plays in that league?

Do you sense the sarcasm.

Last I looked...this was a football board. If we were talking MAAC hoops you would see a post titled with "OT", as in off topic. So, when I commented, I was commenting on football which, I might add, was the topic of the post.

And as much as I hate to say this...Siena is probably one of three teams that would vie for "name of the MAAC." For the record, Siena is Albany's fiercest rival...11k plus regularly fill the Pepsi Arena for our cross-city rivalry game.

Additionally, Marist's former top asst., Steven Sauers, is the son of our retired long-time coach. Yep...we know about the MAAC.

But hey...thanks for giving me an update on league affiliations.

Salty Dog
July 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM
I am not degrading Duquesne. It is a great school with a great history but their coaching, recruiting and scheduling the last couple of years is not up to their past standards. Iona's defense stopped a poorly thought out Duquesne offense last year. I do not believe Duquesne will do well in the NEC. It is time for Iona to turn things around. I think Iona has the best defense in the MAAC. Iona has upgraded their coaching and add coaching positions this year. The fact that they have the courage to schedule New Hampshire and Cal Poly shows to me they are serious about football. They may not win those games but they will surpise a few people. I believe it will also help their recruiting. They laughed at San Diego a few years ago too. It is a start.

Model Citizen
July 31st, 2007, 05:14 PM
The cost of that trip should be spent on the program.

Cal Poly is paying for the trip. Maybe Iona should tell them they're not coming, but to send the money anyway. xsmiley_wix

Zoo
July 31st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Remember Iona beat Duquense at their home last year!! Iona has the whole defense unit coming back and healthy. Iona has a new big time QB coach with a new QB and a strong running game. Iona has New Hampshire and Cal Poly on there schedule this year. Who else in the MAAC has two teams that are ranked that high on their schedule? Iona will win the MAAC!

I would love to see Iona win the MAAC, but I highly doubt it.

Dane96
July 31st, 2007, 05:39 PM
Cal Poly is paying for the trip? Is that fact...because I would be impressed and that is totally different.

mvemjsunpx
July 31st, 2007, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the update...that is some interesting news...I never knew that. Albany fans have no idea about the MAAC...who plays in that league?

Do you sense the sarcasm.

Last I looked...this was a football board. If we were talking MAAC hoops you would see a post titled with "OT", as in off topic. So, when I commented, I was commenting on football which, I might add, was the topic of the post.

And as much as I hate to say this...Siena is probably one of three teams that would vie for "name of the MAAC." For the record, Siena is Albany's fiercest rival...11k plus regularly fill the Pepsi Arena for our cross-city rivalry game.

Additionally, Marist's former top asst., Steven Sauers, is the son of our retired long-time coach. Yep...we know about the MAAC.

But hey...thanks for giving me an update on league affiliations.

Just because you were only talking about football doesn't mean everyone else was. RaiderInTheZone started this specific conversation by contending Marist was the "name" in the MAAC. I assume he wasn't just talking about football, because that just wouldn't make sense. When people talk about the highest profile school in a conference, you can't just separate football from other major sports, particularly in the Northeast where college basketball is far more popular.

Nobody seriously disputes that Duquesne has ruled the MAAC in football, but that's not particularly relevant to a "high-profile" discussion because there isn't a much lower profile than MAAC football, hence why it is ultimately dissolving.

And RaiderInTheZone's contention that Marist is the "name" school is probably correct. Their women's basketball team's Sweet 16 appearance in 2007 is definitely the highest profile thing to happen to the MAAC in recent history.

Dane96
July 31st, 2007, 08:00 PM
Actually...he was talking about football...but sure...I guess you are right.

Again, this is a football board. Had he been discussing hoop, OT would have been the topic.

Again, Marist, even in all sports, is NOT THE NAME PROGRAM IN THE MAAC.

For the last 15 years, the MAAC has gone something like this as far as NCAA Tourney Appearances:

Niagara- 2
Siena- 2
Manhattan- 3
Iona- 4

The rest split up among the other schools, most notably...MARIST ZERO.

In fact, Marist has never made the NCAA tourney as a MAAC team as far as I remember...and...has made ONE NIT during that time.

Hardly ruling the roost in the MAAC. As a matter of fact, if we are keeping with the BIG 2 sports, Marist, with the largest enrollment (I think about 7k) is quite the disappointment.

Shall I continue with you?

Sure I will!

Women's hoop appearance? How about Siena's measel season...which made national news. Or, I dunno, Manhattan stomping Oklahoma in the NCAA's. Or LaSalle beating Southern Miss and barely losing to Clemson in the NCAA's. Or how about 1994 or 95 (I forget) when they had TWO NCAA TEAMS (St. Peters and Manhattan). How about Manhattan knocking off Florida in the NCAA's...yep...one of Billy's teams that was a 5 seed.

Heck, I havent even gotten into NIT territory. Check out Siena's history on that!!! You may be shocked.

I DONT EVEN LIKE THE MAAC!!!

See, I would say quit while you were ahead, but quite frankly...you never were.

Oh, and before you get into "recent" history....the upset of Florida was three years ago.

Seawolf97
July 31st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Actually...he was talking about football...but sure...I guess you are right.

Again, this is a football board. Had he been discussing hoop, OT would have been the topic.

For the last 15 years, the MAAC has gone something like this as far as NCAA Tourney Appearances:

Niagara- 2
Siena- 2
Manhattan- 3
Iona- 4

The rest split up among the other schools, most notably...MARIST ZERO.

In fact, Marist has never made the NCAA tourney as a MAAC team as far as I remember...and...has made ONE NIT during that time.

Hardly ruling the roost in the MAAC. As a matter of fact, if we are keeping with the BIG 2 sports, Marist, with the largest enrollment (I think about 7k) is quite the disappointment.

Shall I continue with you?

Sure I will!

Women's hoop appearance? How about Siena's measel season...which made national news. Or, I dunno, Manhattan stomping Oklahoma in the NCAA's. Or LaSalle beating Southern Miss and barely losing to Clemson in the NCAA's. Or how about 1994 or 95 (I forget) when they had TWO NCAA TEAMS (St. Peters and Manhattan). How about Manhattan knocking off Florida in the NCAA's...yep...one of Billy's teams that was a 5 seed.

Heck, I havent even gotten into NIT territory. Check out Siena's history on that!!! You may be shocked.

I DONT EVEN LIKE THE MAAC!!!

See, I would say quit while you were ahead, but quite frankly...you never were.

Oh, and before you get into "recent" history....the upset of Florida was three years ago.

Go Get'em !

DFW HOYA
July 31st, 2007, 08:49 PM
I am not degrading Duquesne. It is a great school with a great history but their coaching, recruiting and scheduling the last couple of years is not up to their past standards... I do not believe Duquesne will do well in the NEC.

I hope that's not the case. The last MAAC school to jump to the NEC was St. John's, and it killed their program.

Seawolf97
July 31st, 2007, 08:55 PM
Hopefully they will get up to speed quickly with their scholarship program. If not then they will be in the 2nd tier of the NEC looking up to Albany, CCSU, Monmouth and maybe RMU-the top 4 -for along time.

danefan
July 31st, 2007, 09:04 PM
This is a much different NEC than it was when St. Johns moved over and Duquesne is a much different team than St. Johns was.

downbythebeach
July 31st, 2007, 09:08 PM
Duquesne with schollies IMHO will be tough, they should be at even with RMU although RMU has better facilities and a better coach.

Dane96
July 31st, 2007, 10:34 PM
I think Duquense is very dedicated to this 30 ride thing. In fact, I think they are ramping up near immediately. That area is a great recruiting area...and Pitt is a good city to recruit to.

I think the only thing stopping the Dukes from being a nice little power is the field situation.

Other than that...I FULLY EXPECT THEM TO CHALLENGE AT THE GET.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 31st, 2007, 10:52 PM
Marist, I believe, won the MAAC football title twice or three times, and Iona won their first last year. Iona, Duquesne and Marist were tri-champions this year.

With a four-team league, it could happen again. Why not?

Seahawks Fan
August 1st, 2007, 06:59 AM
Although we easily beat Marist. LaSalle and St. Peters last year, Iona gave us a battle at home. We beat them 7-3. They look pretty good.

Dane96
August 1st, 2007, 10:26 AM
Again, no offense (because Albany has great ties to Wagner), but Wagner wasn't exactly a good football team last year. In fact, I think it is safe to say it was one of your worst season's ever.

I expect a full comeback from Wagner.

Seahawks Fan
August 1st, 2007, 01:43 PM
Again, no offense (because Albany has great ties to Wagner), but Wagner wasn't exactly a good football team last year. In fact, I think it is safe to say it was one of your worst season's ever.

I expect a full comeback from Wagner.

Wagner stunk last year.

aceinthehole
August 1st, 2007, 03:15 PM
Wagner stunk last year.

Maybe they did stink to our new "NEC standards", but they were 4-0 vs the MAAC. xthumbsupx

Stang Fever
August 1st, 2007, 03:48 PM
News Flash this just in: NO one really cares about the MAAC

to bad duq. which is prob a decent team doesnt play some talented teams this year to prove it

boo
August 1st, 2007, 03:53 PM

OK, you have some sort of hair up your butt for Marist. Denied admission or something?

http://goredfoxes.cstv.com/school-bio/commissioner.html

~~Boo

Dane96
August 1st, 2007, 04:30 PM
OK, you have some sort of hair up your butt for Marist. Denied admission or something?

http://goredfoxes.cstv.com/school-bio/commissioner.html

~~Boo

Actually...no I never applied...however my assistant coach was the top asst for them for years. My close friend played hoop and another played baseball.

Facts are facts. In the top two sports that people care about...Marist has not been tops.

Thanks for the update...yet again...like my posts didnt indicate my MAAC knowledge. xcoffeex