PDA

View Full Version : montana joins the "N F L"

grizzpaw
August 24th, 2005, 01:09 PM
tailgating at montana is "dead :mad: after today don't bother coming to montana to have a good time and enjoy tailgating! ALL tailgate must close 5 minutes BEFORE the start of the #rd Qt., hell it takes over 10 minutes to get out of wash-griz at halftime, that leaves about 5 minutes to tailgate. what a f****** joke!! i'm glad i waited to see what happen to the tailgating before i bought my space now i will not waste my money and i hope everybody does the same! its amasing how about 100 people can ruin it for over 25000 people(a lot of people come just to tailgate and watch the griz on tv). so its over :bang: :bang: . they better hope the non-drinkers show for its a waste for me.

Hansel
August 24th, 2005, 01:28 PM
are you familiar with Flasks?

Eagle_77
August 24th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Wanna share exactly what it is your pissed off about? Some details please.

89Hen
August 24th, 2005, 01:42 PM
You should fell fortunate Paw, no re-entry policies are old news at most of the college football stadiums across the country. For many schools, the tailgaiting stops at the kickoff, not the third quarter.

Cap'n Cat
August 24th, 2005, 02:25 PM
tailgating at montana is "dead :mad: after today don't bother coming to montana to have a good time and enjoy tailgating! ALL tailgate must close 5 minutes BEFORE the start of the #rd Qt., hell it takes over 10 minutes to get out of wash-griz at halftime, that leaves about 5 minutes to tailgate. what a f****** joke!! i'm glad i waited to see what happen to the tailgating before i bought my space now i will not waste my money and i hope everybody does the same! its amasing how about 100 people can ruin it for over 25000 people(a lot of people come just to tailgate and watch the griz on tv). so its over :bang: :bang: . they better hope the non-drinkers show for its a waste for me.

I blame it on local conservative Gestapo covens in Missoula.

:(

Baltimore Hen
August 24th, 2005, 03:06 PM
You will just need to leave with a few minutes on the clock. If you are that concerned about tailgating, then it should not matter to you what you miss......

grizwin
August 24th, 2005, 03:12 PM
They just want 20,000 in the stands to begin 3rd quarter instead of the silent 12,000 fills back to the 24,000 level 5 minutes into 3rd qt

rokamortis
August 24th, 2005, 03:33 PM
How are they gonna stop you?

But 89 hen is right - many schools won't allow you to re-enter so feel fortunate for what you do have :)

MR. CHICKEN
August 24th, 2005, 03:42 PM
You will just need to leave with a few minutes on the clock. If you are that concerned about tailgating, then it should not matter to you what you miss......

YEAH...BUT...........WHAT IFIN' FORT LEWIS......TAKES DUH LEAD...WHIFF 17 SECONDS.....LEFT IN DUH HALF????.........NEED UH BREWSKI...DAT BAD....MAH BAD???..................GUESS IFIN' DAT WERE TA REALLY OCCURR.....AIN'T 'NUFF CORRS IN COLORADO......TA GET DUH GRIZZ RIGHT-SIDE-UP!..............:(...................AWK!

colgate13
August 24th, 2005, 05:43 PM
nothing new here. Tailgates are shut down 5 minutes after both halfs start.

Coastal89
August 24th, 2005, 06:19 PM
Barnoculars
http://www.soberhookup.com/shotglasses/double_bubble/barnoculars.jpg
Here's the answer to your problem.

Ronbo
August 24th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Coastal where do I get those? Link please. :)

Coastal89
August 24th, 2005, 07:12 PM
http://www.fakecrap.com/products/barnoculars.html

The Gadfly
August 24th, 2005, 07:27 PM
This is why you should vote Libertarian... :D

blukeys
August 24th, 2005, 07:33 PM
This is why you should vote Libertarian... :D

Shouldn't make any difference. The University as a private property owner has the right to set the terms of it's event on it's property. The rules against reentry are a back door means to limit drinking especially by underage students. At least that was the genesis of the UD "tailgating policy".

62GRIZ
August 24th, 2005, 08:54 PM
Actually, the majority of GRIZ fans support the new policy. Shutting off drinking at the end of halftime gets the fans back in their seats for the beginning of the third quarter and makes my long drive home a little safer!

GreatAppSt
August 24th, 2005, 10:46 PM
No reentry until the 4th qtr has been in place at App for a long long time. :mad:

GrizFoo
August 24th, 2005, 11:37 PM
I suppose it is a reasonable thing to do, but I still think it is B.S. This is something that has distinguished UM football games, and at least part of the reason why so many people come to the games. isht, there are probably 1000 people who come just to tailgate and don't even have tickets.
If people don't have the self control to stop drinking at a certain point, or have enough self control to not drink and drive, or at least keep themselves plenty sober enough to drive, then they can deal with the consequences. They don't need a babysitter.
It is nice the tailgating is allowed in the first place, and I'm fine with them cracking down on underage drinking, and looking out for drunk drivers, and containing drunk a-holes, but this 5 minutes before half isht is pushing it, even if their reasoning can be argued as legitimate.
It's not going to kill tailgating or significantly reduce the number of fans going to games, but it is just one piece to a puzzle that could lead to those things.

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2005, 06:37 AM
i do not agree with 62griz because MOST of the griz fans that i have talked to do not like this new "police action". rent-a-cops have "BIG" heads, and they will take their jobs too serious for me. but let me make it clear that i do not drink and drive, i take the bus to and from the game. i do not have a problem with them shuting down the tailgating its the time thing i don't like. the older fans have a hard time walking down all the steps and they stop a lot causing everyone behind them to stop and wait for them to start moving again, so the 5 minuite thing is not a reasonable amount of time to get to the areas that you can have a beer :bang: .unless you leave early you wait or i guess people will start pushing them out of their way in order to get to the areas faster! either make halftime 5 minuites longer or like portland they stop serving like 15 minuites(real time) after the start of the 3rd.

Black and Gold Express
August 25th, 2005, 10:42 AM
If people don't have the self control to stop drinking at a certain point, or have enough self control to not drink and drive, or at least keep themselves plenty sober enough to drive, then they can deal with the consequences. They don't need a babysitter.

Explain that to the family of the innocents killed by a drunk driver sometime.

It's nice to think that we don't need to be "babysat" in regards to drinking and driving, but I will respectfully disagree on that front. DUI is unfortunately a far too common occurence at sporting events.

This rule sounds like a good compromise to me, one that gives people the chance to tailgate, but those with concerns over alcohol-related incidents are addressed as well.

And it could be worse. They could just decide to do away with tailgaiting altogether. That definitely is within their right...

Eagle_77
August 25th, 2005, 11:04 AM
Can we please get a link to what excatly we are talking about. I am smart enough to understand what is going on but I would like a little more details.

GOKATS
August 25th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Can we please get a link to what excatly we are talking about. I am smart enough to understand what is going on but I would like a little more details.

Here's the link.

http://www.missoulian.com/articles/2005/08/24/news/top/news01.txt

GrizFoo
August 25th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Explain that to the family of the innocents killed by a drunk driver sometime.

It's nice to think that we don't need to be "babysat" in regards to drinking and driving, but I will respectfully disagree on that front. DUI is unfortunately a far too common occurence at sporting events.

This rule sounds like a good compromise to me, one that gives people the chance to tailgate, but those with concerns over alcohol-related incidents are addressed as well.

And it could be worse. They could just decide to do away with tailgaiting altogether. That definitely is within their right...

No, I won't explain that to the families, the person who kills someone can, they are responsible. Just like they would be if they went to a bar instead of a tailgate and drink and drive. Bars close at 2 a.m. in MT, so should we close Bars at 5 P.M. instead. That is basically what this rule is saying.

As a side note, I just talked to someone who runs a private tailgate for the games, the tailgate I usually start at, and he said this rule has basically been in effect for a while, just not enforced very well. The article in the Missoulian says the "party" will be broken up. But I wonder if someone wanting to party with some soda, instead of booze, will have to leave the area. Will the tailgaters have to disperse, or just stop drinking alcohol? I guess we'll find out how it goes, it probably won't be as bad as some think, even if it feels like we are being treated like little kids.

Black and Gold Express
August 25th, 2005, 01:24 PM
No, I won't explain that to the families, the person who kills someone can, they are responsible. Just like they would be if they went to a bar instead of a tailgate and drink and drive. Bars close at 2 a.m. in MT, so should we close Bars at 5 P.M. instead. That is basically what this rule is saying.

Bars also don't have 20,000 people hitting the roads all at the same time, and at times when the roads are more populated than the late nights are. But hey, as long it's someone else getting killed on the roads it's not your concern, right?

I pray that you never have to deal with this situation in your life, on either side of it. Myself, I've had to watch a friend buried at age 15 due to a drunk driver T-boning the car he was in, in the middle of the day. So forgive me for having a sharp viewpoint on this matter.

Eagle_77
August 25th, 2005, 02:26 PM
This could be much worse I promise you. At our games there is no re-entry for fans. Once you have been in the game you can not leave. Then the parking lot has to be cleared out by a certain point during the game. I believe its by the end of the 1st quarter. The patrol guys tell the fans to go in the game or go home.

GrizFoo
August 25th, 2005, 02:32 PM
I've had more than one friend die in drinking and driving incidents. And if someone killed a family member of mine, I would hold the person who did it responsible long before the law ever got to them. It is a horrible thing to happen, and I know I would be devistated. But, I would blame the person who was drinking and driving, not the conditions or venue they were drinking in. To do otherwise would be making excuses for the person's own actions, and transfering blame from them to other factors.
I will consede that 20000 people leaving a game is something different than a Bar situation where people filter out, and there isn't nearly as many. But I think their is more responsibility built in with the people at games Most people coming to games are there with a lot of family and friends, others are students who live on campus, others don't drink at all. A lot more car pooling goes on at games, and it is a lot easier have a designated driver with those conditions. Bar situations are basically build for drinking, games are for watching games, even though many people at bars watch games, and many people at games drink like they are at a bar.
I just think people need to be responsible for themselves and not blame situations they are in for their actions. And even though some adults obviously do need babysitters, I don't think most need one.

I agree it isn't that big of a deal to deal with these new enforcements. And if it does save a life, great. But we could save lives doing all kinds of things, reduce the speed limit, shut bars down earlier, put breath testers in cars, stay locking in a room all day, etc. It doesn't mean all of these things should be done.

grizzpaw
August 25th, 2005, 02:47 PM
their are not 20000 drunks hitting the road at the same time, montanan are responable people but i'm sure their is a few that cannot pass a drunk test :spank: (i can because i don't drink and drive, i take the bus :nod: ). if i was better at posting all the links leading up to this action i would post them but the police told the um that they are going to have a riot if nothing is done about the tailgating(90% of the fans are either little kids or old farts(like me) and if you have ever seen missoula police in action (pepper spray)you would know that a riot of people over 40 is just not going to happen! that is what started all this! a riot please :eek: the police were not doing their jobs last year during the playoffs and have been replaced by crowd management inc,like most the games in the big sky. this is only what i have been told.

GrizFoo
August 25th, 2005, 03:44 PM
No doubt GrizPaw. The riot excuse is as lame as I've ever heard. The only people that get out of hand in any significant numbers are the students, and even they have never brinked on rioting. And they don't need to tailgate to get drunk, they can just run back to their dorms and drink. I can sympathise with the intentions of these rules, but they are still ridiculous. It won't fix anything, even if something needed fixed in the first place. It is kind of like searching 80 y/o grandmothers and 3 month old infants at airports, great idea to search people, but they might want to figure out a little better aproach.

DaBears
August 25th, 2005, 06:43 PM
Bars also don't have 20,000 people hitting the roads all at the same time, and at times when the roads are more populated than the late nights are. But hey, as long it's someone else getting killed on the roads it's not your concern, right?

I pray that you never have to deal with this situation in your life, on either side of it. Myself, I've had to watch a friend buried at age 15 due to a drunk driver T-boning the car he was in, in the middle of the day. So forgive me for having a sharp viewpoint on this matter.

If we truly wanted to make sure nobody drinks and drives then breathalyzers could be legislated to be required in all cars and would require mandatory breath tests to keep the car running. The truth is that DUI's are big revenue builders for the states and they don't want to stop people from drinking and driving--they just want to bust them for it.

I personally like to live in a free society and with that freedom comes some danger.