PDA

View Full Version : Vikings change football logo

PSUVikings
July 28th, 2007, 02:18 PM
http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/09/00/80/81/psu1310.jpg

There it is, the Viks will feature a very small amount of green, most of the uniforms are said to be black, that logo above will be on the helmet. the current Viking logo will still be used and recognized as the sports logo for PSU, but this is for football.

TheCatamount
July 28th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Meh, I don't like it from what I can see so far

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 02:22 PM
The Vikings used spears?

PSUVikings
July 28th, 2007, 02:24 PM
The Vikings used spears?

lol Here we go again.

Yes Nike did the research and Vikings did use spears.

Mort
July 28th, 2007, 02:39 PM
lol Here we go again.

I wonder how long it will be before the pc wackos in Portland start protesting on campus and PGE Park because PSU is now seen as promoting violence due to the use of a weapon as the new football team logo.

Scoff if you will but those of you who have ever spent time in Portland, or lived there, know what I mean. It will happen. xrolleyesx

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
lol Here we go again.

Ok, but wouldn't it have been much easier/safer to just go with swords, which the vikings undoubtedly used?

I mean you're ripping off Florida St big time.

TheValleyRaider
July 28th, 2007, 04:05 PM
Doesn't do much for me, honestly. Seems too small, without any other real distinguishing characteristics to give it some flavor (i.e. the feathers on Florida State's spear). I'd be afraid it would just look like a diagonal line from a distance.

Of course, if you win with them, who cares what they look like?

DuckDuckGriz
July 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
I wonder how long it will be before the pc wackos in Portland start protesting on campus and PGE Park because PSU is now seen as promoting violence due to the use of a weapon as the new football team logo.

Scoff if you will but those of you who have ever spent time in Portland, or lived there, know what I mean. It will happen. xrolleyesx

Hahaha I was JUST THINKING THE SAME THING before I saw your post.

Ronbo
July 28th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Doesn't do much for me, honestly. Seems too small, without any other real distinguishing characteristics to give it some flavor (i.e. the feathers on Florida State's spear). I'd be afraid it would just look like a diagonal line from a distance.

Of course, if you win with them, who cares what they look like?

I doubt it will look that small

DuckDuckGriz
July 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I think it looks like something under a microscope.

Lionsrking
July 28th, 2007, 05:32 PM
http://i21.servimg.com/u/f21/09/00/80/81/psu1310.jpg

There it is, the Viks will feature a very small amount of green, most of the uniforms are said to be black, that logo above will be on the helmet. the current Viking logo will still be used and recognized as the sports logo for PSU, but this is for football.

Not gonna say what I think it looks like.

Grizaholic17
July 28th, 2007, 06:03 PM
that is not the best change in the world...I personally liked the old uni's and logo.

RadMann
July 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM
As someone with Norwegian ancestry I find it offensive that you are using my people as your mascot. I want compensation! lol

JALMOND
July 28th, 2007, 07:54 PM
As if we didn't see this coming. Glanville changed the color of the Atlanta Falcons to black, it was just a matter of time before the "man in black" coached the "team in black" once again.

No truth to the rumor of using Will Smith's "Men in Black" as the unofficial team fight song.

eagle1
July 28th, 2007, 08:34 PM
What color is the spear going to be on the black helmet? I think that if the spear was green and silver and there was green and silver trim on the jersey and pants it would probably look pretty cool. If he adds a checkered band around the lower thigh though then he needs to go back to Hawaii. I really liked the old jersey and helmet with the mixture of Green and Black though. Go Eagles!!!

GreatAppSt
July 28th, 2007, 09:09 PM
I thought it was a giant squid.

HiHiYikas
July 28th, 2007, 09:54 PM
It's a great looking graphic, if it's 1994, it's senior week, and we're about to get temporary tattoos at Myrtle Beach.

Maybe it will look a little more professional in context when the whole thing is tied together into a uniform package.

CopperCat
July 28th, 2007, 10:41 PM
The old one wasn't all that great. But the new one?xeyebrowx I say screw the new one. Bring back the old jerseys and colors, maybe as sort of a retro thing mid-way through the season.

TheValleyRaider
July 28th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I doubt it will look that small

It's not even that it looks small, but thin. There doesn't seem to be any substance to it. I suppose the image we're seeing could be distorted somewhat and it'll be thicker and shorter when on the helmet, but for now it doesn't appear to me like it'll look too good on the final product.

I suppose I should reserve full judgment until we see the actual helmets, but what fun is that on a message board?

Stang Fever
July 28th, 2007, 10:52 PM
that logo sucks

CopperCat
July 28th, 2007, 11:22 PM
that logo sucks

Don't sugar coat it or anything.....xlolx :D

cats2506
July 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
As someone with Norwegian ancestry I find it offensive that you are using my people as your mascot. I want compensation! lol

Thats what I was waiting for, a bunch of wegians getting upset about it. xsmiley_wix

Johnny5
July 29th, 2007, 03:07 AM
Ok, but wouldn't it have been much easier/safer to just go with swords, which the vikings undoubtedly used?

I mean you're ripping off Florida St big time.

Not really...I mean the Redskins used them too (spears/arrows whatever) as far as safety though I imagine these will work nicely
http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:0N13OLgfXntCgM:http://www.armadaart.com/images/products/B660-SafetyScissors-112103.jpg

Poly Pigskin
July 29th, 2007, 03:37 AM
It's not great, but I don't think it's terrible either.

Is there any reasoning behind using a football only logo? It makes a lot more sense to me to be consistent across all sports.

Franks Tanks
July 29th, 2007, 09:07 AM
It's not great, but I don't think it's terrible either.

Is there any reasoning behind using a football only logo? It makes a lot more sense to me to be consistent across all sports.

Jerry Glanville just must have requested everything to be all black, maybe it was in his contract so he wouldnt have to change his wardrobe.

Mort
July 29th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I don't know but my guess would be that it's a Glanville thing. He strikes me as having a rather large ego. As a result, I'm guessing that when he negotiated his deal with PSU, he got them to agree to let him do things his way, period, and the new football-only logo is just one indication of that agreement. It sounds like there will also be new uniforms and who knows what else. It wouldn't surprise me if he makes the student managers fold the towels exactly the way he wants them folded, too.

I think he wants the world to know its HIS program now and he's going to put his mark on it. I don't think that is anything new in a college football program but I assume most FCS schools don't have the money in their athletic department budgets to hire Nike to design a new football-only logo. PSU's athletic department has been publicly claiming to be strapped for years so I guess that's an indicator that Glanville got all of the financial support from PSU that he wanted - from somewhere. Maybe some boosters who were not Walsh supporters materialized from the shadows and wrote some big checks to get Glanville on board (and pay for a new Nike-designed logo).

Green Cookie Monster
July 29th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Will all of the players be required to wear glue-on muttonchop sideburns?