PDA

View Full Version : Should the Great West invite San Diego?

Ronbo
July 28th, 2007, 10:59 AM
I think it makes sense as they are already qualified for the playoffs and are a geographic fit. No schollies, no problem, give them the option to carry none, some, or 63 if they want. The Great West needs teams and they should consider inviting San Diego. I would assume that invites have already gone out to North Dakota and South Dakota.

aggie6thman
July 28th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Absolutely! I think it would be a great fit for the Great West and San Diego! They just need to add schollies!

BearsCountry
July 28th, 2007, 11:10 AM
They would need schollys or it could get pretty rough for them IMO.

Ronbo
July 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Well that should be their choice. If they don't think they can afford them then why prevent them from coming? The Great West as it sits now is on it's death bed, they need to do something creative.

aggie6thman
July 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Well that should be their choice. If they don't think they can afford them then why prevent them from coming? The Great West as it sits now is on it's death bed, they need to do something creative.

I didn't mean that they had to add schollies to join. But it would be the best idea if they wanted to truly compete for a league title. They are a talented team, but the lack of scholarship players shows in the second half.

PantherRob82
July 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Sounds like a good idea. Would save them some money. Can't imagine traveling to Jacksonville is a good deal for them.

Polywog
July 28th, 2007, 11:39 AM
They should absolutely be invited. The scholarships are the big issue. IMO, San Diego can not or will not add schollys, so they will probably end up staying in the Pioneer league.

bigd
July 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
The GWFC needs members. I defenitely think they should be invited. Hopefully they could add schollies.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
The problem for San Diego is that most teams in the SW US (and CA for that matter) are FBS.

Since San Diego doesn't offer scholarships, a win over San Diego doesn't count toward the 6 win minimum needed for bowl eligibility for FBS schools.

When you talk purely about FCS, the Great West over the Pioneer league really only adds up to playing Davis and SLO. They'll still have large travel to the rest of their games.

If a CA team really wants to decrease travel costs, going FBS is the only option.

slostang
July 28th, 2007, 01:32 PM
San Diego would make a great addition to the GWFC should they add scholarships. Great school, city and program.

As far as invites to University of North Dakota and University of South Dakota, the will join the GWFC in 2009 when they will count as a D-I game. UND will play Southern Utah in 2007 and UC Davis and Southern Utah in 2008. USD will play Cal Poly and Southern Utah in 2008.

TheCatamount
July 28th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I think it would be a great fit and I'd love to see it happen

Go...gate
July 28th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Scholarship/non-scholarship is problematic but not unprecedented. Patriot League did it from 1986-1992, as it took Holy Cross that long to go entirely to need-based aid.

ucdtim17
July 28th, 2007, 02:47 PM
It'll be tough for them to compete without scholarships, but it would be great for us and probably produce a much more attractive schedule for SD fans - home games with UCD and CP