PDA

View Full Version : Which HBCU would you want as a member of your Conference ?

Pitbull
July 26th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Which HBCU (Historically Black College/University) would you want as a member of your Conference ? And why or why not?(Hypothetically speaking of course)

GeeWiz
July 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM
http://www.hamptonpirates.com/images/football/2006/10/25/team_how%281%29.jpg

Hampton no doubt!

Plus they've played UNH in the post-season a few times.

Lionsrking
July 26th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Which HBCU (Historically Black College/University) would you want as a member of your Conference ? And why or why not?(Hypothetically speaking of course)

Southern, Jackson State or Grambling for the SLC. All three schools have great tradition and support and would be an asset to the Southland Conference in my book. Plus, Southern could no longer dodge McNeese!!xnonox

MR. CHICKEN
July 26th, 2007, 09:28 PM
DELAWARE STATE.......'NOTHERAH WIN.....AN' WE GET DUH HOME GAME...EVERAH YEAR.............xnodx.....DOODLE-DOO-DOO!

zilla
July 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
SOUTH CAROLINA STATE

Why? Because of geography, obviously. Also, Coastal has had a nice, healthy rivalry with the Bulldogs the last two years.

rmutv
July 26th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Delaware State, for geographical purposes only. NEC has teams in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut, and a basketball team (Mt. St. Mary's) in Maryland. Delaware fits.

Franks Tanks
July 26th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Delaware State, for geographical purposes only. NEC has teams in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, and Connecticut, and a basketball team (Mt. St. Mary's) in Maryland. Delaware fits.

Hampton or Howard to the Patriot League, both are very good academically and fit the goegraphic footprint.

terrierbob
July 26th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I agree with zilla- SC State.

downbythebeach
July 26th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Del state in the NEC........almost happened a few years ago from what I'm told.

GSUhooligan
July 26th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Bethune-Cookman....great football, best HBCU baseball, its a school outside of the God foresaken carolinas, plus I'd get to go to Daytona every other year.

Cocky
July 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Alabama A&M and State
Tenn State (already have)
FAMU

bostonspider
July 26th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Hampton for the CAA. Great natural rival for ODU, W&M, UR and JMU, and academically consistent with the conference as well.

Old Montana State Grad
July 26th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I'm rather "biased" (bet ya'll ain't heard that in a while), but I really like South Carolina State! Worked with Mikey (he hates being called that and "Pretty Boy") Johnson for seven years in South Disgusta and "Doc?" Wiggins, more than a few Wrights, Hearsts, Heards, Tollivers, and BIG old Alonzo. My wife taught both Ricky Moore and William Avery (the two point guards for Connecticut and Duke in the 1999 nationaly championship game). Plus, I was always in the middle of your crap like: "It take four Omegas to whip ONE Delta..."

With that said, I appreciate the fact that the main man for Cox Communications has managed arrange direct flights from Hotlanta to Bozo with Delta so he can get out a catch striper bait on the Ruby River in Montana. By the way, what's up with all the kids still headed for the schools that didn't open the doors?

If you can't see it in your heart to work with us that way, at least remember the 68 Wyoming team and Larry Chanay (I know, a few years before Dr. J).

Old Montana State Grad
July 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
In other words, I really don't care because I wish they were all capable of having something going like PSU and a few teams have going with their rose game (or whatever) and the band competion. Maybe Charlie Pride could show up.

AZGrizFan
July 27th, 2007, 12:14 AM
None. The BSC has enough patsies already. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

89rabbit
July 27th, 2007, 12:25 AM
Southern.

Appstate29
July 27th, 2007, 12:36 AM
SC State, theres actually a fair contigent of App fans that wanted to see them in the SoCon the last time we were looking for teams. Either that are Southern, all the guys from southern here seem really laid back and just want to tailgate all day long.

Old Montana State Grad
July 27th, 2007, 12:37 AM

Real freaken classyxthumbsdownx Get your sorry ass out of mazzola and play a few of these kids in a real College Football stadium and see what your records would bexrulesx xreadx

Grizalltheway
July 27th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Real freaken classyxthumbsdownx Get your sorry ass out of mazzola and play a few of these kids in a real College Football stadium and see what your records would bexrulesx xreadx

Yeah, Wa-Griz is a phony college football stadium. xrolleyesx

Old Montana State Grad
July 27th, 2007, 12:57 AM

One day you'll get the opportunity to leave our state capitol for someplace other than mike mansfield or janette rankins intermediate homes. Then, compare and quite mocking places with over three times your high school stadium capacityxeyebrowx You obviously are clueless...and for what it's worth, I hope none of the kids of these posters would ever think of sending their kids to your dump.

OhioHen
July 27th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Delaware State -- then the "powers that be" at UD would have no choice but to play the Hornets. xthumbsupx

Hampton would be a great addition to the Virginia contingent of the CAA.

Overall, though I'd be happy with any HBCU -- I'm a big fan of marching bands and love the fun and spirited performances that the HBCU bands put on. xbowx xbowx xbowx

mcveyrl
July 27th, 2007, 07:51 AM
Hampton - closest possibility; good team; good academics.

henfan
July 27th, 2007, 08:00 AM
...South Carolina State because of their geographical location within a drive of both Georgia State and UNC-Wilmington- mid-way, actually. Not Hampton, only because of the conference has too many teams in that region. (The SoCon is crazy for not purusing HU with vigor!) NC A&T, Howard, Del State & Morgan would are also within the footprint but would be less preferrable, IMO.

OL FU
July 27th, 2007, 08:29 AM
The Bulldogs of South Carolina Statexnodx

blueballs
July 27th, 2007, 08:54 AM
As a fan of a SoCon school (GSU) my first inclination would be SC State. I still have never gotten a straight answer as to why GSU and SC State don't play a home and home every year as the schools are about 100 miles apart and it would be a nice natural rivalry with good competition.

I would also take any of the three of Hampton, BCC or FAMU, in no particular order.

El_Cid_99
July 27th, 2007, 08:59 AM
SC State, by far. They have a strong alumni base in the Lowcountry that enjoys tailgating. What else do you need?

McNeeserocket
July 27th, 2007, 09:03 AM

Give the Southland Conference Grambling State. They were a class act in scheduling and playing McNeese in 2002 and 2003. The fans were friendly, hospitable and knew how to talk football! I would love to have Grambling on McNeese schedule every year. It would make sense to have Southern in the Southland Conference and though I had a good time at their stadium with their great fans, I don't believe their administration has treated McNeese professionally.

Kill'em
July 27th, 2007, 09:08 AM
South Carolina St and/or Florida A&M. The games are fun and the fans are some of the classiest I have ever been around. If nothing else I would like to play them more often

slostang
July 27th, 2007, 09:25 AM
There are a lot of HBCU teams that I would like to see in a conference with Cal Poly. Southern, Hampton and SC State come to mind, but because of the geography it would never happen. Maybe a home and home could be arranged or we might end up playing Hampton or SC State in the playoffs.xthumbsupx

jstate83
July 27th, 2007, 09:42 AM

Don't know bout that but ya'll dang sure have enough criminal's. xcoolx

jstate83
July 27th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Southern, Jackson State or Grambling for the SLC. All three schools have great tradition and support and would be an asset to the Southland Conference in my book. Plus, Southern could no longer dodge McNeese!!xnonox

Were getting back into playing the Louisana school's starting next year with the end of the 9 game mandate.
FREEDOM TO SCHEDULE AGAIN.

We will open at Northwestern in 2008 and they will come to Jackson in 2009 to finish off that 4 year deal we had.
We are talking to others also for 2009 and beyond.

bandl
July 27th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Hampton for proximity.

Southern for tailgating (since HU's is not-so-great).

Tribe4SF
July 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Hampton, or Howard, for the CAA. Hampton would be great for W&M and ODU, and would blend well with the conference.

mikebigg
July 27th, 2007, 10:33 AM
xlolx xlolx

89Hen
July 27th, 2007, 10:57 AM
...South Carolina State because of their geographical location within a drive of both Georgia State and UNC-Wilmington- mid-way, actually. Not Hampton, only because of the conference has too many teams in that region. (The SoCon is crazy for not purusing HU with vigor!) NC A&T, Howard, Del State & Morgan would are also within the footprint but would be less preferrable, IMO.
Mixed feelings about that. SCSt would be a good fit IF the the CAA stays in it's current form. If there were ever a split between football and non-football schools, that would leave us with one dangler in the south. I think I'd rather see Hampton or DSU.

MplsBison
July 27th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I would not want a school or a team that markets itself only to one race.

89Hen
July 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Like NDSU?

mcveyrl
July 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Okay, who had today at 1:57 p.m.?

andy7171
July 27th, 2007, 01:04 PM
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx
HBCU's don't market to just AA people, they are just proud of their past. A past that doesn't really have alot to look back on. Give it a rest. This isn't a silly debate on AstroTurf or scholarship numbers. You legitimately piss people off doing this act. xnonox xmadx

Pitbull
July 27th, 2007, 01:12 PM
xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx
A past that doesn't really have alot to look back on.

xsmhx xconfusedx
Don't have a lot to look back on....???? Would you care to elaborate...?

jstate83
July 27th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Actually, I had the 1st post. xnodx
But.............That's all I'm allowed to say. xnodx

andy7171
July 27th, 2007, 01:35 PM
xsmhx xconfusedx
Don't have a lot to look back on....???? Would you care to elaborate...?
Looking back, it was a poor choice of words and/or phrasing. I didn't mean any disrespect, I was pointing to the pride there is in being a HBCU and not that it was a marketing focus.
xpeacex

R.A.
July 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Here's what we are saying about this over in MEACFANS.COM

http://community.meacfans.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5501054881/m/6641054214

Pitbull
July 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Great idea R.A... xnodx xbowx

R.A.
July 27th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Great idea R.A... xnodx xbowx

No Pitbull, you're the idea man. This is one of the best ever thread ideasxbowx xthumbsupx

89Hen
July 27th, 2007, 02:24 PM
"DSU is too colored and broke to get into the Pat League. Those schools have at least $250 - $500 million in the bank. DSU has about thirty-seven dollars and fifty eight cents in cash on hand."

OUCH! xlolx

MplsBison
July 27th, 2007, 02:37 PM
HBCU's don't market to just AA people, they are just proud of their past.

Then drop "HBCU".

You don't need that to be proud of your past.

But they won't, it's too powerful of a marketing tool.

TheValleyRaider
July 27th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Hampton or Howard to the Patriot League, both are very good academically and fit the goegraphic footprint.

Agreed, although I'd take Howard first because of proximity. Preference being to add to the DC/Mid-Atlantic region before stretching down into Virginia. Add them as G'town's rival, set up Fordham-HC, Bucknell-Colgate, and Lafayette-Lehigh as final weekend games and you've got a nice close to the Patriot League schedule. xthumbsupx xtwocentsx

bandl
July 27th, 2007, 03:13 PM

What school is 'The Mecca'? Sorta like Grambling calling themselves 'The Icon'?

Pitbull
July 27th, 2007, 03:17 PM

Howard is referred to as the Mecca....

bandl
July 27th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Howard is referred to as the Mecca....

Did not know that. Thanks xnodx

Lionsrking
July 27th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Were getting back into playing the Louisana school's starting next year with the end of the 9 game mandate.

We will open at Northwestern in 2008 and they will come to Jackson in 2009 to finish off that 4 year deal we had.
We are talking to others also for 2009 and beyond.

According to tentative future schedules in our media guide, Jackson State is scheduled to come to our place on 9-15-08.

R.A.
July 27th, 2007, 04:47 PM

The Black Mecca of Education, the Flagship HBCU, The Black Harvard, The Capstone.....

89Hen
July 27th, 2007, 04:49 PM
The Black Mecca of Education, the Flagship HBCU, The Black Harvard, The Capstone.....
UMES? :p

R.A.
July 27th, 2007, 04:58 PM
UMES? :p

No...

HOWARD
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/93/Howardseal.gif
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/68/Howard_U.jpg/800px-Howard_U.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/ad/HowardBison.png/180px-HowardBison.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_University

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Howard_University_alumni

http://www.howard.edu

pete4256
July 27th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Then drop "HBCU".

You must have nightmares about Bethune-Cookman. They're a HBC that runs the option.

EKU05
July 27th, 2007, 10:50 PM
The same one we already have. Scheduling conflicts aside, I like having TSU in the OVC. They're a great fit both institutionally and gepgraphically, and they have solid programs in both basketball and football.

mikebigg
July 28th, 2007, 03:11 AM

The Mother Pearl...xnodx

R.A.
July 28th, 2007, 04:00 AM
The Mother Pearl...xnodx

You're right.

For those of you who don't know... "The Mother Pearl" is a term that members of Black Greek organizations use when refering to Howard University due to the fact that Five of the Nine "Divine Nine" were founded at Howard University (Alpha Kappa Alpha, Delta Sigma Theta , Omega Psi Phi, Phi Beta Sigma, Zeta Phi Beta)and also because Howard was the first HBCU where an African American Greek Letter Organization established a chapter(Alpha Phi Alpha, Beta Chapter).

And if you want to see personally what its all about... just be around Howard in 2008 when a certain female organization celebrates what happen in 1908.... fellaz, yah wanna be there, trust mexsmiley_wix

MACHIAVELLI
July 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Sorta like Grambling calling themselves 'The Icon'?

We are THE ICON.

SU Jag
July 28th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Then drop "HBCU".

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I won't allow you to get away that easy.

Make an argument to support your case or admit defeat.

Pitbull
July 28th, 2007, 12:02 PM

We can't drop that title...because in order to get where you need to go....you need to know where you came from....Being a HBCU is apart of our heritage ..it's apart of who we are......Our schools were the only ones that would educate African-Americans back in the day....other schools shut their doors to us....We live in a new age today and all doors are open to all races...but we still need to remember where we came from..... xnodx

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 01:23 PM
all doors are open to all races...but we still need to remember where we came from

The University of South Carolina used to be segregated. Now, they enroll all races.

But do you don't see USC marketing themselves as "Historically segregated collages and universities"?

Why not? Don't they need to remember where they came from in order to get where they need to go?

JaxSinfonian
July 28th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I love Tenn. State in the OVC. They do have the second-best band in the conference, I believe. :D

I'd like to add Alabama A&M. They'd make a nice replacement for Samford: in-state, solid geographic fit for the conference (Huntsville's actually in the Ohio Valley), nice-sized town, established history with Jax State and a growing one with TSU. But I don't think we'd ever lure them from the SWAC and their arch-nemesis, Alabama State.

TheValleyRaider
July 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
The University of South Carolina used to be segregated. Now, they enroll all races.

But do you don't see USC marketing themselves as "Historically segregated collages and universities"?

Why not? Don't they need to remember where they came from in order to get where they need to go?

If you can't see the difference, can it actually be explained to you?xreadx

Pitbull
July 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Well Valleyrider...I'm going to try....
You know what MplsBison...let's just agree to disagree...If any school wants to remember the fact that they kept people out because of the color of their skin....then by all means go for it...But I guarantee you their enrollment will drop......You know the difference between us and the " segregated schools" you referred to is that we never stopped anybody from attending our universities due to the color of their skin....xnodx and furthermore do you honestly think that being a "Historically segregated college/university" is something to be proud of? xeyebrowx xconfusedx ....Carry on....

TheValleyRaider
July 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Well Valleyrider...I'm going to try....
You know what MplsBison...let's just agree to disagree...If any school wants to remember the fact that they kept people out because of the color of their skin....then by all means go for it...But I guarantee you their enrollment will drop......You know the difference between us and the " segregated schools" you referred to is that we never stopped anybody from attending our universities due to the color of their skin....xnodx and furthermore do you honestly think that being a "Historically segregated college/university" is something to be proud of? xeyebrowx xconfusedx ....Carry on....

You're a bold man, Pitbull, but if he listens I'll xbowx xbowx xbowx to you for that

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
do you honestly think that being a "Historically segregated college/university" is something to be proud of?

I personally wouldn't be proud of it, no.

But according to you, a school must remember where it came from in order to get where it needs to go.

So lets stay on that line of logic.

Why is that correct for some schools but incorrect for other schools?

Pitbull
July 28th, 2007, 02:52 PM

But according to you, a school must remember where it came from in order to get where it needs to go.
So lets stay on that line of logic.

We remember the fact that eventhough our ancestors were poor and oppressed...they still found a way to further their education....this fact in itself is motivational xnodx ....not just to blacks but to any and everyone who feels they can't get an education....All they have to do is review the historical reason why HBCU's were created and that alone could/would motivate them to push thru their current obstacles to achieve their goal of receiving an education.....xthumbsupx

Now to answer your question...."Why is that correct for some schools but incorrect for other schools?"...If a school is proud of their heritage, their history...then by all means go ahead and attach whatever tag to your perspective university you want to....but make sure it's something to be prooud and it doesn't offend any particular race...

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 02:55 PM
That is indeed inspirational.

But as you've dodged the question, I'll ask again:

Pitbull
July 28th, 2007, 03:05 PM
That is indeed inspirational.

But as you've dodged the question, I'll ask again:

Maybe some schools have nothing to be proud of when it comes to their troubled past....that's why it would be incorrect for some....for example....

"On June 11, 1963, Wallace, having advised citizens of Alabama to stay away from the university, stood at a podium before the school door. Attorney General Kennedy telephoned once more, only to be told that the governor was unavailable. As reporters, photographers, and police officers watched, Wallace held up his hand to prevent Vivian Malone and James Hood from entering. Then he holed himself up inside the school for four hours. Meanwhile, President Kennedy federalized the Alabama NATIONAL GUARD, which then moved in and forced Wallace to abandon his "schoolhouse stand" and admit the students."

Do you think Univ. of Alabama wants to attach a tag to it's school that highlights the above event.....?

Actually you have already answered your own question....

MplsBison, please check out this video...
http://video.msn.com/v/us/msnbc.htm?g=f8f7be26-6686-4231-913c-ef4c760e2001&f=34&fg=copy

Col Hogan
July 28th, 2007, 03:40 PM
R.A., Pitbull, read this thread...MplsBison has been tutored on this subject before and is just baiting you...Read the last few pages of the thread and see his tactics...

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26020&page=15

He will always circle back and try to trap you on a word...

Kill'em
July 28th, 2007, 03:56 PM
We can't drop that title...because in order to get where you need to go....you need to know where you came from....Being a HBCU is apart of our heritage ..it's apart of who we are......Our schools were the only ones that would educate African-Americans back in the day....other schools shut their doors to us....We live in a new age today and all doors are open to all races...but we still need to remember where we came from..... xnodx

I also wondered why the label "HBCU"? But your reasoning makes sense. Thanks.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Do you think Univ. of Alabama wants to attach a tag to it's school that highlights the above event?

Absolutely not.

UA is not proud of the fact that they were an all white school in the past.

So why would any HBCU be proud of of the fact that they were an all black school in the past?

Pitbull
July 28th, 2007, 04:04 PM
"So why would any HBCU be proud of of the fact that they were an all black school in the past?"...Don't put words in my mouth...yes, we are proud to be black but I said we were proud of the fact that eventhough we were oppressed we found a way to overcome obstacles and still get a quality education....it wasn't just about being an all black institution....

R.A., Pitbull, read this thread...MplsBison has been tutored on this subject before and is just baiting you...Read the last few pages of the thread and see his tactics...

Thanks for the heads up......I'm pretty much done w/ this debate....If he doesn't understand...then he never willl... xpeacex

jstate83
July 28th, 2007, 04:10 PM

And guess what..............Not a DAMM Thing will happen to him.

ME...........I'll probably get another warning from the mods for typing damm.xsmhx
Or even worse, R.A. and PITBULL will get responses from other posters telling them they are the baiters completely ignoring the fact this troll and others have free reign on AGS.xnonono2x

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 04:25 PM
we were proud of the fact that eventhough we were oppressed we found a way to overcome obstacles and still get a quality education

Then by your own logic it should be "Historically oppressed but found a way to overcome obstacles and still get a quality education Colleges and Universities".

As you say, what does "Black" have anything to do with it?

Are Blacks the only skin color that have been oppressed in the history of humanity?

Col Hogan
July 28th, 2007, 04:28 PM
And guess what..............Not a DAMM Thing will happen to him.

ME...........I'll probably get another warning from the mods for typing damm.xsmhx
Or even worse, R.A. and PITBULL will get responses from other posters telling them they are the baiters completely ignoring the fact this troll and others have free reign on AGS.xnonono2x

If anybody get a warning because of an idiot on in this thread...PM me...

Col Hogan
July 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Then by your own logic it should be "Historically oppressed but found a way to overcome obstacles and still get a quality education Colleges and Universities".

Are Blacks the only skin color that have been oppressed in the history of humanity?

No, MplsBison, it's your contorted logic...

The man was clear, concise and cogent.....

And what have I told you before about those questions?

grayghost06
July 28th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Somebody clue me in: What school does " MplsBison " support? NDSU or Bucknell? They must be very proud indeed! I just want to know who to root against this season.

Pitbull
July 28th, 2007, 04:45 PM

Maybe when you read my posts it sounds like....Oswald....check the video....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4bH9b2GN6w xlolx xlolx xlolx

That's why it's so-ooooo hard for you to understand....Carry on....

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Stop dodging questions.

You're not going to get away with pretending that you're above questioning.

It was your logic anyway.

Respond or admit defeat.

813Jag
July 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Wow, another topic down the drain. If it isn't HBCUS, it's tracks and grass fields. xnonono2x
How many times can it be explained. xconfusedx

Franks Tanks
July 28th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Somebody clue me in: What school does " MplsBison " support? NDSU or Bucknell? They must be very proud indeed! I just want to know who to root against this season.

He is a NDSU supporter(note didnt say graduate), a fine institution like Bucknell would never admit this guy. Also does anyone else get the feeling the MPLS Bison is really a 14 year old who just posts on this board cause he thinks it funny to rile us up. I know when I was 14 I also made goofy posts on message boards to fool around, and I really think this is what is going on. If MPLS Bison isnt 14 than god help him as he has the intillect and maturity of a 14 year old. Cant we get this guy banned, all he does is hijack threads with good conversation and bring it down to an agrument where he doesnt understand facts and rational arguments like an adult.

Maverick
July 28th, 2007, 06:37 PM
BS Bison,
Since you are so sure of yourself in your campaign to eliminate the use of HBCU, I recommend that you take your narrow little mind down to one of the campuses and get a table and announce your campaign and discuss it with those who fully embrace the HBCU moniker. I am sure they would appreciate your help.

Or

Maybe in your race to convert the world to your way, you have forgotten that you are alone in your campaign. Those who have attended, graduated from, and deeply love those schools chose to represent with pride the legacy of higher education for those whose race prevented them from attending college elsewhere. That history is the source of pride. They focus on the historical nature of these schools.

Your failure to get beyond the simplistic and childish view your espouse reflects your limited view of what HBCU stands for and what historical position they hold in the history of higher education in America.

Perhaps the most telling statement of your simple-minded view is your seeing it as a "marketing" issue. If you think that these schools are only marketing to blacks then you must be getting your info from the local klan members! They focus on the term black to the exclusion of all else like you do.

So you would deny them their pride in the historical significance of these schools?

bshgriz
July 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I'd add Grambling to the Big Sky mainly because of it's locality to the league.
And I've always liked them some, even though they stole my packers logo.

Franks Tanks
July 28th, 2007, 06:46 PM

You do know that Grambling is in Louisiana, not exactly big sky country. Any conference would like to lay claim to the "ICON" but i think the point of the post was to be somwhat realistic.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 07:12 PM
If MPLS Bison isnt 14 than god help him as he has the intillect and maturity of a 14 year old.

One thing for sure, I don't have the "intillect" to attend a Patriot League school.

Yeah, the PL is known for only admitting students with high "intillect".

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 07:14 PM
That history is the source of pride. They focus on the historical nature of these schools.

That's fine with me.

I've never advocated that a school that markets itself on its history, legacy, or pride in its traditions is a bad school.

But why does it have to be "black". Or "white".

Why does it have to be any color?

What does the amount of Melanin in your skin have to do with anything?

Bearkatpresident
July 28th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I would add Texas Southern University simply because of the crowds they would draw to both of our stadiums. Houston has a large number of our alumni, and I'm sure a TSU game in Huntsville would draw a good crowd.

Grambling would also be a GREAT addition to the SLC

Maverick
July 28th, 2007, 10:25 PM
BS Bison,
I don't know why, but I do know that it does matter. Being different has always mattered. We as humans notice what is different rather frequently based on appearance, speech, the vehicle you drive, the foods we eat. Ask those who are "different" from those in power why it matters. Are you saying that you don't see differences in people?

Still your desire to eliminate the use of the word black in this case is puzzling. Your little semantic rant about the use of HBCU is almost comical if it weren't so pathetic.

You are having as much success with this as you have with scholarships and what should be on a footbal field. I am starting to see a trend of ranting.

MplsBison
July 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Are you saying that you don't see differences in people?

The presence of larger amount of Melanin in the skin causes a larger amount of light to be absorbed, rather than reflected, which gives a darker appearance to the skin.

There is nothing you can tell about a person based on how dark their skin appears.

So the only puzzling thing to me is why a school would want to focus on the appearance of the skin of their historical students, rather than their pride, their ability to overcome great obstacles, etc.

SuperJon
July 29th, 2007, 12:00 AM
I'd take SC State, Hampton, or Norfolk St in the Big South in a heartbeat. If WSSU keeps improving, they can join the party too. If A&T got back on their feet, let them come along as well.

I just don't see it happening.

CoastalFan2005
July 29th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I'd take SCSU and Hampton in a heartbeat. Both would make outstanding additions to the Big South. xnodx

blur2005
July 29th, 2007, 02:14 AM
MplsBison - xbangx xbangx xbangx

Could you go write this stuff on the smack board, where baiting arguments are typically found? The whole premise of questioning why HBCU schools refer to themselves as historically black is assinine. They have a unique history and position in American culture that they shouldn't and will never forget and thus market themselves as such.

Franks Tanks
July 29th, 2007, 08:52 AM
One thing for sure, I don't have the "intillect" to attend a Patriot League school.

Yeah, the PL is known for only admitting students with high "intillect".

Ok Pardon my spelling, but as a FYI the definition of the word is per the below. As I figue you dont know what it means.

intellect--the capacity for rational or intelligent thought especially when highly developed

I though it was fitting for you as you seem to shy away from the whole rational and intelligent thought part, especially the rational.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 09:20 AM
and thus market themselves as such.

OK!

Finally, someone admits.

To which I reply: I would not want a school in my conference that only markets itself to one race.

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 09:37 AM
OK!

Finally, someone admits.

To which I reply: I would not want a school in my conference that only markets itself to one race.
Read this (http://www.subr.edu/supublications/pdfs/FactsBrochure5.pdf) and tell me where we market to one race.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 10:26 AM
Let's see,

you only show blacks in the pictures

you list a 95.5% black enrollment

and you start off with a detailed history of Southern's service to black students, noting that the Baton Rouge campus is "part of the only historically black land grant university system in the US".

What non black high school senior wouldn't consider Southern after reading that?!

mrklean
July 29th, 2007, 10:29 AM
FAMU I want to go to FL every other year.

Col Hogan
July 29th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Let's see,

and you start off with a detailed history of Southern's service to black students, noting that the Baton Rouge campus is "part of the only historically black land grant university system in the US".

What non black high school senior wouldn't consider Southern after reading that?!

Are you saying "non-black high school senior(s)" are racists?

Or are you saying "non-black high school senior(s)" should fear Southern?

Be clear...what is your point......

mrklean
July 29th, 2007, 10:32 AM
MplsBison - xbangx xbangx xbangx

Could you go write this stuff on the smack board, where baiting arguments are typically found? The whole premise of questioning why HBCU schools refer to themselves as historically black is assinine. They have a unique history and position in American culture that they shouldn't and will never forget and thus market themselves as such.

Let me take a crack at this.. They started out as ALL black colleges and they also taught High School for counties that did not have a black high school

Col Hogan
July 29th, 2007, 11:06 AM
MplsBison...

Answer my questions....or admit defeat....xcoolx

The Gadfly
July 29th, 2007, 11:12 AM
It's quite weird when you can tell the difference between those who have and those who have not studied Socrates and rational thought.

First off, being from SOUTH CAROLINA (hint hint), I understand why a "culture" would want to keep their "identity" and "heritage" in tacked. There was a comment posted earlier about how people wouldn't attend a university if it was considered "historically all white" (or something like that). Well, I flipped that around and asked myself is that why alot of white kids don't attend, excuse my lack of PC, black schools? Is it because of this "label" (be it possitive or negative for said parties) that keep the white kids from coming? If you haven't guessed already I am a . . . honky and I would love to go to Hampton but I would not go to SC State because Hampton's campus is beautiful (and my personal hero Booker T. Washington attended) and SC State needs some work (which, thank God, is happening). I would go to Delaware State before I would go to Morgan State because as a white male cracker, I would feel more "accepted". Why? Because if you look at their websites, Morgan prides itself on having a certain amount of African-American (black) doctors, lawyers, this and that . . . which is great, but my point is that why can't it simply be "Morgan State Alumni"? They market towards the A-A communty Delaware State markets to EVERYONE. They take pride in being a school who started as a black school, but take even more pride in becoming something where everyone is accepted into this new culture that they are trying to create.

I take what MLK Jr. said to heart and transfer that to the HBCUs, I don't judge a school by the amount of "black" or "white" students you have, I judge it by its character and academics.

Now, back on topic. I would like to see Delaware St., SCSU, or Hampton come over to the Big South.

grayghost06
July 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM

We are talking to others also for 2009 and beyond....Damn, I was really impressed you had a Big Ten team coming down to play @ your stadium ( not that you wouldn't outdraw them ! ). I shoulda read the Louisiana school reference more closely...Outside of your neck of the woods though, Northwestern means that braniac school in Chicago.

blur2005
July 29th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Let's see,

Well, apparently 4.5% aren't black, so some are obviously considering it.

Mr. Tiger
July 29th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Everyone should stop entertaining MplsBison. The term HBCU and its history has been explained before in another post yet he continues with all of this nonsense. xnonono2x So I will post this again....

The term, HBCU comes from the federal government and the US Department of Education, not the schools. It is the federal government through The Higher Education Act of 1965 that established the term HBCU. The federal government still uses this term so if you are offended write a letter to your Senators and Congressmen and President Bush and demand action. xlolx Meanwhile, please don't turn good threads into a race debate.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Are you saying "non-black high school senior(s)" are racists?

Or are you saying "non-black high school senior(s)" should fear Southern?

I'm saying that non black high school seniors won't consider a school if they feel that the school does not want them.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Well, apparently 4.5% aren't black, so some are obviously considering it.

As of 2000, the state of Louisiana was:

64% White
33% Black
3% Hispanic

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/22000.html

Looks like a fairly large discrepancy to me.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 12:29 PM
It's quite weird when you can tell the difference between those who have and those who have not studied Socrates and rational thought.

First off, being from SOUTH CAROLINA (hint hint), I understand why a "culture" would want to keep their "identity" and "heritage" in tacked.

What if they wanted to keep their identity intact?

Yeah it is weird how you can tell the difference.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 12:31 PM
HBCU comes from the federal government and the US Department of Education, not the schools. It is the federal government through The Higher Education Act of 1965 that established the term HBCU.

I don't care where the term originated.

Why do you choose to keep using it?

The federal government still uses this term

Where?

so if you are offended write a letter to your Senators and Congressmen and President Bush and demand action.

I don't have to because the federal government doesn't force you to use the term in your marketing materials.

You could voluntarily choose not to do it without the need for letters.

Ronbo
July 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
None. We moved beyond segregation in the Big Sky 50 years ago. African Americans are welcomed and treated well in our schools. Diversity is celebrated. Unlike the way I've heard anyone that isn't an African American is treated at those schools. I think there's a payback mentality there for wrongs commited in the past by long dead folks.

GeeWiz
July 29th, 2007, 12:55 PM
None. We moved beyond segregation in the Big Sky 50 years ago. African Americans are welcomed and treated well in our schools. Diversity is celebrated. Unlike the way I've heard anyone that isn't an African American is treated at those schools. I think there's a payback mentality there for wrongs commited in the past by long dead folks.

Just like there are Blacks at predominently white colleges, there are whites at predominently blacks colleges.

The MEAC and SWAC are called HISTORICALLY Black Colleges. xsmiley_wix

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Please elaborate on the bolded portion. Better yet maybe you're right and we're wrong since you heard it and most of us went to HBCUS. xnonono2x There is no segregation at HBCU's and how the name HBCU a paybackfor wrongs committed? xconfusedx
This topic is beyond dead. xdeadhorsex

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Just like there are Blacks at predominently white colleges, there are whites at predominently blacks colleges.

The MEAC and SWAC are called HISTORICALLY Black Colleges. xsmiley_wix

And the schools in the Gateway and Big Sky are not called HISTORICALLY White Colleges. xsmiley_wix

Ronbo
July 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Segregation by choice. Sorry if that offends. These Colleges tend to attract the more segregationist African Americans that want to be just around their own. Now I'm not saying there aren't alot of whites that feel that way too. But every time I watch "Remember the Titans" it brings a tear to my eye. I love that movie and wonder why some people just can't learn.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 01:19 PM
This topic is beyond dead.

It's well alive.

It's just you that want to pretend that the topic is above questioning that want us to go away.

Mod66
July 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Thank You Gentlemen for keeping this civil. It makes our jobs much more enjoyable. Please continue.

Edit: I would suggest we steer this back to the question that started the thread.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM
It's my fault for the off topic conversation.

I answered the OP with my opinion (that I wouldn't want a school that markets itself to only one race) and it spawned what we have now.

If you feel the need to delete the off topic posts or put them in a separate thread, that's fine with me.

Ronbo
July 29th, 2007, 01:34 PM
There's a mis-conception in the land about coming to Montana to play football for African Americans. Most of our black players stay in the Community after they Graduate. Hmmm... they must really like it here. Goes against what you've heard, right?

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 01:35 PM
I know also that some of the guys we bring up from southern states and Milwaukee/Chicago stay in Fargo, as well.

jstate83
July 29th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Thank You Gentlemen for keeping this civil. It makes our jobs much more enjoyable. Please continue.

Edit: I would suggest we steer this back to the question that started the thread.

Told ya'll nothing was going to happen. xlolx
FREE REIGN everytime BS see the term H-BLACK-CU.xsmhx

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 02:16 PM
There's a mis-conception in the land about coming to Montana to play football for African Americans. Most of our black players stay in the Community after they Graduate. Hmmm... they must really like it here. Goes against what you've heard, right?
I wouldn't say that as I haven't heard anything about how life is in Montana. So that's an incorrect assumption. There's a huge difference between "Remember the Titans" and life at an HBCU.

GeeWiz
July 29th, 2007, 02:20 PM
And the schools in the Gateway and Big Sky are not called HISTORICALLY White Colleges. xsmiley_wix

Of course not, geographically speaking we already figured that out a long time ago ... xthumbsupx

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Of course not

So then, if schools that historically had white students enrolled aren't calling themselves HWCUs, why are schools that historically had black students enrolled calling themselves HBCUs?

No one is forcing them.

If they want to, that's fine. Just say so. It confirms that they market themselves to one race.

If they don't want to, then why are they doing it?

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 02:30 PM
So then, if schools that historically had white students enrolled aren't calling themselves HWCUs, why are schools that historically had black students enrolled calling themselves HBCUs?

No one is forcing them.

If they want to, that's fine. Just say so. It confirms that they market themselves to one race.

I think they do it to tick you off. It must be working. xlolx

mrklean
July 29th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I think they do it to tick you off. It must be working. xlolx

FUNNY!

Mr. Tiger
July 29th, 2007, 03:06 PM

No one is forcing them.

You truly don't get it. If the federal government designated that those colleges are HWCUs and awarded grants and establish programs for HWCUs, then the term would exist today and those schools would use that term. The term HBCU only exist because the federal government created it and still uses it today. So again your fight should be with Congress.

And if you feel SO strongly about this xrolleyesx . I hope you are leading the fight to get rid of the Native American mascots from every school in the nation. Somehow I doubt you will be taking up that cause. xlolx

But Back to the topic...

SWAC/Southland merger 14 teams. The East would be strong.

West
Sam Houston St.
Central Arkansas
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Stephen F. Austin
Texas St.
Prairie View
Texas Southern

East
Grambling St.
Southern
SE Louisiana
McNeese St.
Northwestern St.
Alcorn St.
Jackson St.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 03:20 PM
The term HBCU only exist because the federal government created it

and still uses it today

Where?

grayghost06
July 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Hey Bison..Have you ever considered a career in sales? Even in the face of overwhelming opposition, you are one persistant son of a gun.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I'd be a horrible salesman.

I would never pressure anyone into buying the more expensive options.

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 03:57 PM

It's an accurate term and I don't think it connotes any effort to keep people who aren't Black out. They were established, as far as I can tell, to give Blacks a place to go when mainstream institutions did not welcome them. So their history and origin are unavoidably associated with "Black."

I live in the Baton Rouge area where Southern is and my impression is its community would love to have more White students in it than it does. I've seen no indication that they want to exclude anybody.

Yes, they could call it other things. But I don't think calling it what they call it is bad.

I'll admit that there may be some cases in which the possibility of consolidating some State schools so that some HBCU's and predominantly White schools lose their separate identities may have to be examined. For example: Is it prudent for the State of Louisiana to maintain both Grambling and Louisiana Tech as separate institutions when the two are only about 7 miles apart? The situation that led to the creation of two schools so close together is no longer prevalent.

But that's another issue. I don't see any big deal about calling them "Historically Black." That's what they are.

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Oh, and I'd like to have Southern, Grambling, and Jackson State in the Southland. That's make it kind of big so if I had to pick just one I'd pick Southern.

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:06 PM

Howard is The Necca, and it has nothing to with athletics. Grambling was originally referred to as "The Icon" by former NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, not by Grambling fans.

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:09 PM
The Mother Pearl...xnodx

Friday November 17, 1911...xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:11 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I also wondered why the label "HBCU"? But your reasoning makes sense. Thanks.

HBCU is a federal designation.

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I take what MLK Jr. said to heart and transfer that to the HBCUs, I don't judge a school by the amount of "black" or "white" students you have, I judge it by its character and academics.

Now, back on topic. I would like to see Delaware St., SCSU, or Hampton come over to the Big South.

1. HBCU is a federal designation.
2. No one called you a "honky".
3. Dr. King is a graduate of Morehouse College, an HBCU.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 04:27 PM
I don't think it connotes any effort to keep people who aren't Black out.

Nor do I believe that they're purposefully trying to keep any race out. That's illegal.

If you take a look at that Southern brochure that was posted, it's very obvious to me though that HBCUs market themselves exclusively to black students.

They were established, as far as I can tell, to give Blacks a place to go when mainstream institutions did not welcome them. So their history and origin are unavoidably associated with "Black."

As this thread has established over and over again, that's complete nonsense.

Schools that barred blacks from enrolling have that history. Yet, it's obviously not unavoidable that they be associated as Historically White CUs.

my impression is its community would love to have more White students in it than it does.

That brochure tells the opposite story.

Is it prudent for the State of Louisiana to maintain both Grambling and Louisiana Tech when as separate institutions when the two are only about 7 miles apart? The situation that led to the creation of two schools so close together is no longer prevalent.

That's not the issue here.

Southern and LSU are in the same area. Florida State and FAMU as well.

Many other areas have more than one university in the same area.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
1. HBCU is a federal designation.

I'm still waiting for someone to show me where the federal government uses HBCU.

I don't really care that it was the government that came up with the term.

That doesn't give any school an excuse to continue using it.

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:28 PM
It's an accurate term and I don't think it connotes any effort to keep people who aren't Black out. They were established, as far as I can tell, to give Blacks a place to go when mainstream institutions did not welcome them. So their history and origin are unavoidably associated with "Black."

I live in the Baton Rouge area where Southern is and my impression is its community would love to have more White students in it than it does. I've seen no indication that they want to exclude anybody.

Yes, they could call it other things. But I don't think calling it what they call it is bad.

I'll admit that there may be some cases in which the possibility of consolidating some State schools so that some HBCU's and predominantly White schools lose their separate identities may have to be examined. For example: Is it prudent for the State of Louisiana to maintain both Grambling and Louisiana Tech when as separate institutions when the two are only about 7 miles apart? The situation that led to the creation of two schools so close together is no longer prevalent.

But that's another issue. I don't see any big deal about calling them "Historically Black." That's what they are.

On rare occassions, there a full solar eclipses, Haley's Comet appears, and I agree with JSO. Damn. Is this for real?xlolx xlolx

HIU 93
July 29th, 2007, 04:34 PM
I'm still waiting for someone to show me where the federal government uses HBCU.

http://www.ed.gov/about/inits/list/whhbcu/edlite-index.html

Your welcome.

Maverick
July 29th, 2007, 04:38 PM
HIU,
Thanks for you input. I should have realized that we all too often ignore one of W.C. Fields great admonitions when we reply to BS Bison's solitary and stupid take on the use of the HBCU.

"Never smarten up a chump!"

Of course with BS Bison his continued postings and responses indicate he is immune to such efforts. It is almost as if he were channeling David Duke in his drive to eliminate the use of this term.

Still the response from so many on this board to BS Bison's BS is what is so encouraging. To see all those who attended the HBCU's as well as those who didn't but know and appreciate the tradition and historical value of these schools is what this long lost son of Mr. Potato Head just refuses to acknowledge and respect.

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Many other areas have more than one university in the same area.

Yes, I know. I was just using one example. And I think a time may be coming when...in cases where those there are State run universities located so close together...States may have to consider the possibility of combining them into one institution. They may not be able to indefinitely maintain the "luxury" of maintaining as many institutions as they now maintain.

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 04:50 PM
On rare occassions, there a full solar eclipses, Haley's Comet appears, and I agree with JSO. Damn. Is this for real?xlolx xlolx

Yes. And you know it is because you know I don't say things just because I think it's what people want to hear or it's because they're the "popular" thing to say.

TheValleyRaider
July 29th, 2007, 04:52 PM
I'm starting to think some of you are just post-whores for trying to respond to him when you know he won't listen. xlolx

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Schools that barred blacks from enrolling have that history. Yet, it's obviously not unavoidable that they be associated as Historically White CUs. .

I don't think historically White colleges and universities were established for a racial purpose. I think they were established to provide education. The fact that a certain race was largely excluded was, I think, ancillary. I don't think the central motivation was related to thoughts of race. They would have been established whether there were different races or not.

Historically Black colleges were, I think, established for a purpose directly related to race. The central motivation was providing an opportunity for education for people who weren't really welcome elsewhere...who were being systematically excluded from the opportunity to improve themselves because of their race. They would not have been established if there were not different races.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 05:18 PM

Your welcome.

Ok, the government may indeed refer to them as HBCUs simply for categorical reasons.

But there is no law that forces them to market themselves as HBCUs.

They choose to do that.

Mr. Tiger
July 29th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Geez...I have been trying to tell you the federal government STILL uses the HBCU designation. How many examples do you need. Here are a few.

http://www.hud.gov/progdesc/hbcu.cfm
http://www.nps.gov/history/grants.htm
http://www.samhsa.gov/Grants/2005/nofa/ti05002_hbcu.aspx
http://www.hud.gov/news/release.cfm?content=pr06-110.cfm
http://www.nnsa.doe.gov/docs/newsreleases/2005/PR_2005-11-01_NA-05-26.pdf
http://www.nnsa.doe.gov/docs/newsreleases/2005/PR_2005-11-01_NA-05-26.htm

Mr. Tiger
July 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Ok, the government may indeed refer to them as HBCUs simply for categorical reasons.

But there is no law that forces them to market themselves as HBCUs.

They choose to do that.

xnonono2x You are hopeless. I quit. xlolx

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Why are you so scared to answer the question?

If there is no law that forces HBCUs to market themselves as HBCU, why do they do that?

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 06:46 PM

If there is no law that forces HBCUs to market themselves as HBCU, why do they do that?

Because the communities associated with them are proud of what they did historically to provide opportunities to people who otherwise would not have had them regardless of merit.

BEAR
July 29th, 2007, 06:47 PM
I'd like UAPB when they get a football team...xthumbsupx xlolx

mrklean
July 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM

Some people just dont get itxconfusedx

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 07:08 PM
Because the communities associated with them are proud of what they did historically to provide opportunities to people who otherwise would not have had them regardless of merit.

If a school wants to only market themselves to blacks, that's fine with me.

I just don't want a school that does that in the same conference as NDSU.

JohnStOnge
July 29th, 2007, 07:12 PM

If you were pragmatic and NDSU was in relatively close proximity to schools like Southern, Grambling, and Jackson State, you'd want them in your conference. Their fans travel. Big time.

Plus it's not just that their fans "travel." They have fans everywhere down here. It's kind of like the Notre Dame "Subway Alumni" thing.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 07:13 PM
I'd want to be in the Southland, if that were our location.

Same as Central Ark did.

mrklean
July 29th, 2007, 07:16 PM

Dude you are really a sad person!!!!!!!!!!!

They market there school to every person they can get. Look at the grad school at HBCU's there mostly non-black students.

Seawolf97
July 29th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Dude you are really a sad person!!!!!!!!!!!

They market there school to every person they can get. Look at the grad school at HBCU's there mostly non-black students.

He is hopeless.xnonono2x xnonono2x

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I'm starting to think some of you are just post-whores for trying to respond to him when you know he won't listen. xlolx
I admit that I am. xlolx But talking to him is like trying to play Twister by yourself. I'm glad that I know most folks from NDSU aren't like that guy.

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
They market there school to every person they can get.

Take a look at the brochure posted for Southern and then see if you can say that with a straight face.

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 08:11 PM
Take a look at the brochure posted for Southern and then see if you can say that with a straight face.
You said you wouldn't want any of us in your conference so why does it matter what the brochure states? xconfusedx Why are you so concerned?

CopperCat
July 29th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Having an HBCU school in the BSC would be pretty hard logistically, as most of the BSC schools are way out west.

But I'd certainly like to see us play a few, maybe in the playoffs.xnodx

MplsBison
July 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
You said you wouldn't want any of us in your conference so why does it matter what the brochure states?

I said that I didn't want a school that only markets itself to one race.

If Southern, Grambling, etc. acted like professionals about it and dropped the whole "HBCU" thing, then I would definitely want them in our conference. They're quality schools and athletic programs.

Maverick
July 29th, 2007, 09:48 PM
BS Bison,
So they are quality schools and athletic progams and all you dislike about them is their marketing approach? Explain how this "marketing" approach will make them lower quality schools and athletic programs? Or did they become quality schools and athletic programs in spite of this marketing? Can you explain also how by dropping the use of the HBCU in their marketing it will change?

What the heck is this acting like "professionals" comment? I know that you have demonstrated many times on this board that you are a "professional" idiot, but saying that someone who doesn't do what you want is less than professional is a bit of megalomania even for you!

Old Montana State Grad
July 29th, 2007, 10:44 PM
BS Bison,
So they are quality schools and athletic progams and all you dislike about them is their marketing approach? Explain how this "marketing" approach will make them lower quality schools and athletic programs? Or did they become quality schools and athletic programs in spite of this marketing? Can you explain also how by dropping the use of the HBCU in their marketing it will change?

What the heck is this acting like "professionals" comment? I know that you have demonstrated many times on this board that you are a "professional" idiot, but saying that someone who doesn't do what you want is less than professional is a bit of megalomania even for you!

...okay, been lurking in here for the day: waiting for either a dUMb or no-dak-in-the-"cityxsmhx " has to say in response to megalomania...xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

...probably what everyone has said about our kids in trouble in Bozeman.

Bro. Askia Musa Afiba
July 30th, 2007, 12:04 AM
What about NC Central?
http://web.nccu.edu/athletics

Would the Big South Seriously Consider the "Eagles" for Membership, if The MEAC wasn't NCCU's first choice?

Why or Why Not?

Take Care!

NYSigma
July 30th, 2007, 07:48 AM
I said that I didn't want a school that only markets itself to one race.

If Southern, Grambling, etc. acted like professionals about it and dropped the whole "HBCU" thing, then I would definitely want them in our conference. They're quality schools and athletic programs.

Hey Bison look at this site. Is that you trying to sneak a course at Hampton? Seriously you can find examples of non African Americans at most of the HBCU's websites, brochures, etc. It just a matter of preference. http://www.hamptonu.edu/about/academic_excellence.cfm
HBCU's are very proud of their heritage hench the very "pro" black approach. Remember these were the only institutions that would educate us when no one else would.

I checked out William and Mary's website and it took several clicks to find some African Americans so should I be saying W&M is only marketing for white students? Heck no!! Any Institute of Higher Education (Also a Federal definition) that's worth it's weight in Bison poop would gladly accept any student who has academic and educational goals.

813Jag
July 30th, 2007, 07:52 AM
Hey Bison look at this site. Is that you trying to sneak a course at Hampton? Seriously you can find examples of non African Americans at most of the HBCU's websites, brochures, etc. It just a matter of preference. http://www.hamptonu.edu/about/academic_excellence.cfm
HBCU's are very proud of their heritage hench the very "pro" black approach. Remember these were the only institutions that would educate us when no one else would.

I checked out William and Mary's website and it took several clicks to find some African Americans so should I be saying W&M is only marketing for white students? Heck no!! Any Institute of Higher Education (Also a Federal definition) that's worth it's weight in Bison poop would gladly accept any student who has academic and educational goals.
xthumbsupx Good point, but he'll ignore it.

mikebigg
July 30th, 2007, 08:02 AM

No because their separation was based on racial hatred, the HBCU's were created out of necessity and there is still a need because these universities are promoting learning for all and is open to all. We are not segregated institutions and never advocated such a policy. Can you say the same?

andy7171
July 30th, 2007, 08:25 AM
Come on y'all.
mpls doesn't care about historical significance, pride in your past, opening the doors to everyone, being fair or any of the great posts on this thread attempting to get him to understand. All he cares about is having the term "Black" in the HBCU label. Nothing more nothing less. He arguement is focused on that one simple fact. One word. All he wants is that word removed and his arguement disappears. That's ALL he wants you to admit to.

Plus FieldTurf is better than grass and all FCS schools should field 63 scholarships and the replacing of the "red shirt" year with 5 full years eligiblity adn for IL and PL to ....

813Jag
July 30th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Come on y'all.
mpls doesn't care about historical significance, pride in your past, opening the doors to everyone, being fair or any of the great posts on this thread attempting to get him to understand. All he cares about is having the term "Black" in the HBCU label. Nothing more nothing less. He arguement is focused on that one simple fact. One word. All he wants is that word removed and his arguement disappears. That's ALL he wants you to admit to.

Plus FieldTurf is better than grass and all FCS schools should field 63 scholarships and the replacing of the "red shirt" year with 5 full years eligiblity adn for IL and PL to ....
Dont' forget about removing tracks from a stadium. xlolx

mikebigg
July 30th, 2007, 08:29 AM

ROO!!!!!

MplsBison
July 30th, 2007, 09:02 AM
So they are quality schools and athletic progams and all you dislike about them is their marketing approach?

That's exactly what I said, was it not?

Explain how this "marketing" approach will make them lower quality schools and athletic programs?

Their marketing has nothing to do with how quality they are.

Or did they become quality schools and athletic programs in spite of this marketing?

They were always quality schools from what I gather.

NDSU played Grambling for the small school (or whatever it was called) national championship in 1965.

Can you explain also how by dropping the use of the HBCU in their marketing it will change?

Their quality will remain the same as it was: very high.

I just don't like the marketing tactic.

MplsBison
July 30th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Seriously you can find examples of non African Americans at most of the HBCU's websites, brochures, etc. It just a matter of preference. http://www.hamptonu.edu/about/academic_excellence.cfm

I only said that I would not want a school that markets itself to one race.

If a school can demonstrate beyond reasonable doubt that they aren't doing that, then I would want them.

HBCU's are very proud of their heritage hench the very "pro" black approach.

You can remain very proud without the need to call yourselves a "Black school".

SoCon48
July 30th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Although for the SoCon, geography would be a problem, I don't see how anybody would want to turn down a chance to add Grambling.

henfan
July 30th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Grambling was originally referred to as "The Icon" by former NFL Commissioner Pete Rozelle, not by Grambling fans.

Rozelle said no such thing.

Paul Tagliabue was alleged to have said that "Grambling stands up there as an icon type of name...", comparing their name with Notre Dame and Ohio State, all iconic-type names in college football. That's high & warranted praise for GSU, though Tagliabue apparently never called Grambling football "The Icon". That was a creation of message board posters.

No doubt GSU had a true icon in their midst:
http://www.foxnews.com/images/274701/1_61_040407_grambling.jpg

GeeWiz
July 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Come on fellas let this die, enough is enough.

Let's all join hands and come together as one ...

http://cover6.cduniverse.com/CDUCoverArt/Music/Large/505046776912.jpg

xthumbsupx

McTailGator
July 30th, 2007, 01:00 PM

Grambling, (Good Folks), and Jacksonville St. Would give the Southland Conference a school in Mississippi to add to our schools in La, Arkansas, and Texas.

McTailGator
July 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
But Back to the topic...

SWAC/Southland merger 14 teams. The East would be strong.

West
Sam Houston St.
Central Arkansas
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Stephen F. Austin
Texas St.
Prairie View
Texas Southern

East
Grambling St.
Southern
SE Louisiana
McNeese St.
Northwestern St.
Alcorn St.
Jackson St.

This would be a good conference and a lot of fun. But, can we trade P-View away to get Nichols back? ;)

I don't see why P-View continues to try to play Football.

BUT, this would be one reason, I would say the NCAA needs to push the playoffs back a week. To allow for the Bayou classic (but that game would have to be played the week BEFORE T-Giving), and to allow for a conference championship game, unless the winner from each division was to meet in the first round of the playoffs, which would be cool. But the conference and the schools should be allowed to keep the money.

walliver
July 30th, 2007, 02:18 PM
In 2008, Samford will join Furman, giving the SoCon two HBCU's.

(Historically Baptist Colleges and Universities):D

813Jag
July 30th, 2007, 02:27 PM

To quote my friend "that's bad marketing using the word baptist" xsmiley_wix xlolx

OL FU
July 30th, 2007, 02:31 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Can we participate in a classic? That would be wonderfulxnodx

Maverick
July 30th, 2007, 03:07 PM
How can you only market to one faith? I don't like it and it must not be according to me, quoth the BS Bison!

OL FU
July 30th, 2007, 03:13 PM
How can you only market to one faith? I don't like it and it must not be according to me, quoth the BS Bison!

Faith's got nothing to do with it.xnonox We just prefer our donuts dunked, not with sprinklesxlolx

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 30th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Grambling, (Good Folks), and Jacksonville St. Would give the Southland Conference a school in Mississippi to add to our schools in La, Arkansas, and Texas.
Jacksonville St is in Alabama and isn't a HBCU. xlolx

Maverick
July 30th, 2007, 03:36 PM
OL FU,
Yeah, but what about them feet-washing Baptists that I have heard mentioned?

bandl
July 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM

Perhaps he meant Jackson State? xcoolx

No need to laugh at him. Correcting him would be the polite thing to do. ;)

OL FU
July 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
OL FU,

Obviously, you have never been to Furmanxeekx

We weren't themxnonox:D

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 30th, 2007, 03:39 PM
Perhaps he meant Jackson State? xcoolx

No need to laugh at him. Correcting him would be the polite thing to do. ;)
He was being funny, so I can laugh if I want to.

GaSouthern
July 30th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Southern.

LOL, i'm scared of SDSU, they will not be our hardest game, but it's our swing game that could go either way and they are going to play hard because the last two meetings have gone our way. Hopefully we can get a few bounces our way and keep it from being a nail biter!

OL FU
July 30th, 2007, 04:13 PM
LOL, i'm scared of SDSU, they will not be our hardest game, but it's our swing game that could go either way and they are going to play hard because the last two meetings have gone our way. Hopefully we can get a few bounces our way and keep it from being a nail biter!

Different Southernxnodx xsmiley_wix

walliver
July 30th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Georgia Southern is haunted by the HBCU's.

Grambling State claims GSU and Southern University tries to claim "Southern". Every GSU alum I know refers to their school as "Southern".

GreatAppSt
July 30th, 2007, 04:34 PM
NC A&T xthumbsupx

3rd Coast Tiger
July 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM

Grambling State claims GSU and Southern University tries to claim "Southern". Every GSU alum I know refers to their school as "Southern".

Not this again. xsmhx

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 30th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Southern University tries to claim "Southern". Every GSU alum I know refers to their school as "Southern".So does Southern Miss xlolx .

813Jag
July 30th, 2007, 06:12 PM

Grambling State claims GSU and Southern University tries to claim "Southern". Every GSU alum I know refers to their school was "Southern".
I didn't know Southern was trying to claim someone else's name. Whatelse should Southern be called? xconfusedx
I guess it's a good thing we're not both in Georgia other wise it would be mass confusion. xlolx

CID1990
July 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Can we participate in a classic? That would be wonderfulxnodx

It would be called the "King James Bowl," but it would be boring because there would be no dancing allowed.

Back to the topic:

SCSU and NC A&T BELONG in the SoCon. I wish we would continue our series with SCSU, instead of playing Weber International this year.

Pitbull
July 30th, 2007, 09:43 PM

Roooooooo........... xsmiley_wix

McTailGator
July 30th, 2007, 11:00 PM

Oops, should have stoped typing short of the ville.

I meant Jackson St.

AZGrizFan
July 31st, 2007, 12:20 PM

One day you'll get the opportunity to leave our state capitol for someplace other than mike mansfield or janette rankins intermediate homes. Then, compare and quite mocking places with over three times your high school stadium capacityxeyebrowx You obviously are clueless...and for what it's worth, I hope none of the kids of these posters would ever think of sending their kids to your dump.

Don't know bout that but ya'll dang sure have enough criminal's. xcoolx

HA. OMSGrad----get a *****ing sense of humor installed.

jstate83 gets it. I didn't read the whole thread, don't have time to go through 10 pages....but it's nice to see SOMEONE get it. Thanks, jstate.

OMSGrad----crawl back into your hole, and take WMTribe90 with you----he gave me neg rep points for that post. Apparently, it hurt his pussy. xlolx xlolx xlolx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

RMH NCCU93
July 31st, 2007, 06:28 PM
I would like to see NC Central, NC A&T, Winston Salem State and SCSU go to the Big South

Any one from the Big South out there?????????

SUjagTILLiDIE
July 31st, 2007, 08:30 PM
http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_news/headlines_features/canvas_news_articles/_a/hbcu-graduates/20070727125209990001

Maverick
July 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM
WHO DAT say they don' t like that "marketing"? BS BISON!

Are you man enough to accept the facts from SUjagTILLIDIE's post and admit defeat!

SU Jag
July 31st, 2007, 10:23 PM
http://blackvoices.aol.com/black_news/headlines_features/canvas_news_articles/_a/hbcu-graduates/20070727125209990001

xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

CID1990
July 31st, 2007, 11:00 PM
I would like to see NC Central, NC A&T, Winston Salem State and SCSU go to the Big South

I think SCSU and NC A&T would be a better fit for the SoCon. The upside to SCSU being in the Big South would be that neither CSU or CCU would have won a conference championship yet if that were the case.

RMH NCCU93
August 1st, 2007, 12:50 AM
CID is there any talk of picking up any more schools in the Big South or the SoCon.

The MEAC is acting slow with NCCU so I'm just window shopping in my head :)

MarkCCU
August 1st, 2007, 06:44 AM

I'd like to see SCSU in the Big South. The other schools can go fornicate themselves

MarkCCU
August 1st, 2007, 06:45 AM
I think SCSU and NC A&T would be a better fit for the SoCon. The upside to SCSU being in the Big South would be that neither CSU or CCU would have won a conference championship yet if that were the case.

Are you forgetting the fact that the 2 times CCU has played SCSU we've beaten them?

813Jag
August 1st, 2007, 06:57 AM
That's great news. xthumbsupx

bigbluetiger
August 1st, 2007, 03:03 PM
For the OVC:

Jackson State
FAMU
Southern
Alabama A&M
Alabama State
We already have Jacksonville State!

Kill'em
August 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM

That's why I just spell out Georgia Southern.

Jiggs
August 2nd, 2007, 11:18 AM

xlolx xlolx xlolx

You could probably put together an all-Baptist conference by picking frm this list (although they all do not play football):

Anderson College
Baylor University
Belmont University
Blue Mountain College
Bluefield College
Boyce College
Brewton-Parker College
California Baptist University
Campbell University
Campbellsville University
Carson-Newman College
Cedarville University
Charleston Southern University
Chowan College
Clear Creek Baptist Bible College
Criswell College
University of the Cumberlands
Dallas Baptist University
East Texas Baptist University
The Baptist College of Florida
Gardner-Webb University
Georgetown College
Hannibal-LaGrange College
Hardin Simmons University
Houston Baptist University
Howard Payne University
Judson College
Louisiana College
Mars Hill College
Mercer University
Meredith College
Mid-Continent College
Mississippi College
Missouri Baptist College
North Greenville College
Oklahoma Baptist University
Ouachita Baptist University
Palm Beach Atlantic College
Samford University
Southwest Baptist University
Truett-McConnell College
Union University
University of Mary Hardin-Baylor, The
University of Mobile
University of Richmond
Virginia Intermont College
Wake Forest University
Wayland Baptist University
William Carey College
Williams Baptist College
Wingate University
Yellowstone Baptist College

JaxSinfonian
August 3rd, 2007, 06:39 AM
For the OVC:
We already have Jacksonville State!

BBT, I hope you're just joking off McTailGator's earlier mistake, as you should know Jacksonville State is not an HBCU.

TrueEagle
August 5th, 2007, 11:15 PM

Now you're talkin'! Thirkield Hall. Holy smokes, can you imaging DC in '11?

AndrewFU21
August 5th, 2007, 11:50 PM
OL FU,

The key word is Historically Baptist Colleges and Universities. We told the Baptists to shove it back in 1992:D

bigbluetiger
August 6th, 2007, 09:58 AM
BBT, I hope you're just joking off McTailGator's earlier mistake, as you should know Jacksonville State is not an HBCU.

Of course. However, I'm always amazed at the large contingent of AA students. They seemed to always gather close to us (TSU Fans) and TRY to give us a hard time.

The Gadfly
August 6th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Delaware State

EPJr
August 6th, 2007, 07:11 PM

Do some research before making accusations, both Grambling and UGA pay Green Bay to use the "G" xnonox

CCU97
August 6th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Me personally I think that any HBCU should be welcomed to the Big South....some of the schools could use exposure to more diversity...the fans love their teams as much as we love ours in the Big South....the bands would definitely be a much needed improvement to most schools....and the schools would bring a good bit to the conference included some great graduate school programs.

Casey_Orourke
August 6th, 2007, 10:52 PM

Patsies????? If I were a HBCU I would be insulted by that remark...and I think that many of the HBCU's would be more than willing and able to take you Montana boys behind the woodshed and give you the proper ASS WOOPIN xasswhipx you so richly deserve.

Tod
August 7th, 2007, 04:29 AM
Patsies????? If I were a HBCU I would be insulted by that remark...and I think that many of the HBCU's would be more than willing and able to take you Montana boys behind the woodshed and give you the proper ASS WOOPIN xasswhipx you so richly deserve.

Oh, simmer down.

The fact is, the SWAC used to participate in the playoffs but gave up after going 0-19.

While there is respect for the SWAC on AGS, some of us are a bit perturbed that they now choose not to participate, for all intents and purposes.

Combine that with the apparently popular point of view that no SWAC fans would be interested at all in playing Montana, or YSU or Cal Poly, or blah, blah, blah...any team outside of their own little world.

I'd love to see a game with any SWAC team. And I mean that. Won't happen, though. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

813Jag
August 7th, 2007, 06:51 AM
Oh, simmer down.

The fact is, the SWAC used to participate in the playoffs but gave up after going 0-19.

While there is respect for the SWAC on AGS, some of us are a bit perturbed that they now choose not to participate, for all intents and purposes.

Combine that with the apparently popular point of view that no SWAC fans would be interested at all in playing Montana, or YSU or Cal Poly, or blah, blah, blah...any team outside of their own little world.
I'd love to see a game with any SWAC team. And I mean that. Won't happen, though. xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx
I would say that a good percentage shares that point of view. But there are alot of people who don't feel that way. I'd say there are people on both sides that feel that way. I'm sure there are some Montana fans that wouldn't want to play Southern and there are some who would.

ButlerGSU
August 7th, 2007, 08:02 AM
I agree with zilla- SC State.

I agree. SC State.

ButlerGSU
August 7th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Do some research before making accusations, both Grambling and UGA pay Green Bay to use the "G" xnonox

You should do your research. UGA does not pay Green Bay to use the logo...Green Bay actually kept the UGA 'G'...

In 1963 after becoming the Bulldogs' Head Football Coach, Vince Dooley redesigned the football uniform choosing a red helmet with a black "G" on a white background as the dominant feature of the new uniform for the 1964 season.

He discussed with his staff that a forward-looking "G" would be an appropriate emblem for the helmet of the Georgia team. Dooley had just hired John Donaldson, former Georgia player from 1945 to 1948, as backfield coach. John was keen on the idea of a new image and volunteered his wife, Anne, who had a BFA in commercial art from UGA to design a logo for the new Georgia helmet with the general specifications Dooley had outlined. Dooley accepted Anne's original "G" which fit his vision for a forward look to Georgia's new emblem.

Since the Georgia "G"- though different in design and color- was similar to Green Bay's "G", Coach Dooley thought it best to clear the use of Georgia's new emblem with the NFL team. Athletic Director Joel Eaves called for permission which was granted. However, since its inception in 1961, the Green Bay "G" has been redesigned several times and now looks like Georgia's original 1964 "G." Georgia is proud that the Packers apparently liked the special nuances of the Bulldogs' forward-looking "G."

Georgia's oval "G", eventually replacing Georgia's old block "G" as the official UGA symbol, has stood the test of time. It made its first appearance in the opening game in 1964 and was an immediate hit with the Georgia fans, especially after Dooley's first three teams were so successful--highlighted by the 1966 SEC Championship.

813Jag
August 7th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Who had it first doesn't matter. I don't like any of them. xlolx
Green Bay Packers
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/Football/NFL/GB_560.gif
Georgia Bulldogs
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/College/NCAAd-h/Ga_2489.gif
Grambling State Tigers
http://www.sportslogos.net/images/College/NCAAd-h/Gramb_6djfflf928w6zeseer6f.gif

Lapper
August 7th, 2007, 12:39 PM
SC State, North Carolina Central, Delaware State (good baseball too).

jstate83
August 7th, 2007, 12:52 PM

Man.................We could care less what is said here or anywhere else.
We'll play anybody but a playoff ain't a real big deal to mofo's down here.xlolx

If they want to use that "WE RAN" bullshat to make themselves feel better, then mo power to them.xlolx

lizrdgizrd
August 7th, 2007, 03:19 PM
I'd love to have Hampton, SC State, NCCU, WSSU, or NC A&T in the SoCon. At this point, I'd say that's the order I'd prefer them in as well.

R.A.
August 7th, 2007, 06:14 PM
Oh, simmer down.

So come get at the MEAC HBCUs... I'm sure that teams like Hampton & South Carolina State would jump at the opportunity of playing the Mighty Montana Griz...

Mr. Tiger
August 7th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Oh, simmer down.

Wow...I completely disagree with you on this one. Many SWAC fans could not stand the 9-game mandate and I believe that is the reason it will end after this season. And the SWAC created the championship game to generate more money for the conference, not to duck from the playoffs. What most of you don't understand is that MOST of the SWAC schools haven't EVEN been to the playoffs. Alabama State, Alabama AM, Prairie View, Southern, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Texas Southern, have ZERO playoff appearances.

The 9-game mandate is over this year and you will see SWAC schools play more FCS teams. Jackson State will play Northwestern State and Southeast Louisiana in the near future. Matter of fact, North Dakota State and Southern Illinois play SWAC schools this year. xthumbsupx

R.A.
August 7th, 2007, 10:11 PM
Wow...I completely disagree with you on this one. Many SWAC fans could not stand the 9-game mandate and I believe that is the reason it will end after this season. And the SWAC created the championship game to generate more money for the conference, not to duck from the playoffs. What most of you don't understand is that MOST of the SWAC schools haven't EVEN been to the playoffs. Alabama State, Alabama AM, Prairie View, Southern, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Texas Southern, have ZERO playoff appearances.

The 9-game mandate is over this year and you will see SWAC schools play more FCS teams. Jackson State will play Northwestern State and Southeast Louisiana in the near future. Matter of fact, North Dakota State and Southern Illinois play SWAC schools this year. xthumbsupx

That's right Mr. Tiger... besides, we all know that the only conference that the SWAC ducks is the MEAC :D

813Jag
August 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM
That's right Mr. Tiger... besides, we all know that the only conference that the SWAC ducks is the MEAC :D
Ask the Rattlers on September 2 about that statement. xlolx

blackcaesar3k5
August 8th, 2007, 08:24 AM
FAMU would fit perfectly in the big south conference..

Casey_Orourke
August 8th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Oh, simmer down.

Typical Montana bravado.....Nobody else is up to our standards, and while we are forced to play all the inferior of the Big Sky on a home and home basis, we will only accept games from other schools that are willing to travel to play us and not require that we travel to their obviously substandard stadiums.

Talk about not playing teams outside of our own little world. At least PSU invited Grambling team and marching band to Portland a couple of years ago. It was one hell of a good game and I would hope that sometime soon Grambling would either return the favor and invite us down there or be willingto return for another. Portland would be more than willing to host you again.

Mr. Tiger
August 8th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Typical Montana bravado.....Nobody else is up to our standards, and while we are forced to play all the inferior of the Big Sky on a home and home basis, we will only accept games from other schools that are willing to travel to play us and not require that we travel to their obviously substandard stadiums.

Talk about not playing teams outside of our own little world. At least PSU invited Grambling team and marching band to Portland a couple of years ago. It was one hell of a good game and I would hope that sometime soon Grambling would either return the favor and invite us down there or be willingto return for another. Portland would be more than willing to host you again.

I remember that Portland State-Grambling game. I was listening to that one on the Internet. That was one GREAT game. The next season is when the 9-game mandate went into effect leaving SWAC schools with few openings for non-conference games. xnonono2x

813Jag
August 8th, 2007, 12:59 PM

That was a good game, I hope to see more aggressive scheduling with the end of the nine game mandate.

Casey_Orourke
August 9th, 2007, 12:24 AM
I remember that Portland State-Grambling game. I was listening to that one on the Internet. That was one GREAT game. The next season is when the 9-game mandate went into effect leaving SWAC schools with few openings for non-conference games. xnonono2x

I just read an article that says Jerry Glanville is talking to some SEC schools to work into PSU schedule.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/07/20/0720glanville.html

It might be interesting to see who he is talking to.

Hey Montana.....read em and weep....Despite your belief that the BSC championship in Montana's God given divine right, If PSU manages to land big name opponents while you continue to play the SISTERS of the POOR UNIVERSITY, we might become the big news in the conference while Montana is old news.

Old Montana State Grad
August 9th, 2007, 08:04 AM
I just read an article that says Jerry Glanville is talking to some SEC schools to work into PSU schedule.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/07/20/0720glanville.html

It might be interesting to see who he is talking to.

Hey Montana.....read em and weep....Despite your belief that the BSC championship in Montana's God given divine right, If PSU manages to land big name opponents while you continue to play the SISTERS of the POOR UNIVERSITY, we might become the big news in the conference while Montana is old news.

Excellent move with at least one PAC10 and possibly a few SEC teams a year! Just doesn't make much sense to schedule a game with a wannabe team for either the Big Six conferences or those of us from the FCS leagues. Let the wannabe teams meet the BCS teams in the bowls and if the stars are aligned, use a few sandlot plays ala boise and have expn declare them one of the teams of the decade so there's interest in their Thursday night gamesxlolx

Will PSU continue to schedule a noncon game with an HBCU?

Casey_Orourke
August 9th, 2007, 08:14 AM
Excellent move with at least one PAC10 and possibly a few SEC teams a year! Just doesn't make much sense to schedule a game with a wannabe team for either the Big Six conferences or those of us from the FCS leagues. Let the wannabe teams meet the BCS teams in the bowls and if the stars are aligned, use a few sandlot plays ala boise and have expn declare them one of the teams of the decade so there's interest in their Thursday night gamesxlolx

Will PSU continue to schedule a noncon game with an HBCU?

Time will tell....I think that since Oregon's snub when Jerry inquired about scheduling their open game this year (Oregon scheduled Central Michigan), he is looking at some ways to rub it in their collective faces when he manages to schedule some SEC, HCBU's and some of the other premier showcase teams into the PSU schedule. We may not win, but the experience the players get will stay with them forever.

Eyes of Old Main
August 9th, 2007, 08:54 AM
Count me for SC State as well.

I've always enjoyed playing them when we have scheduled them and they have great fans.