PDA

View Full Version : Last year's playoff teams

Nebuta
July 25th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Last year's playoff teams all had winning records in 2005.
Anyone think 2007 playoffs will be different?

GeauxColonels
July 25th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Last year's playoff teams all had winning records in 2005.

No. It's pretty hard to get into the playoffs without having a winning record.

UNHWildCats
July 25th, 2007, 09:10 PM
The best chances for sub .500 teams from last year to make the playoffs this year I think would be Delware, Northeastern, Colgate and Georgia Southern.

Anyone else have any other possibles?

SuperJon
July 25th, 2007, 09:12 PM
How can you have a sub-.500 record if you're required to have 7 Division I wins?

UNHWildCats
July 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Hes saying all the 2006 playoff teams had winning records in 2005 and hes asking if we think all the 2007 playoff teams will have had winning records in 2006. In other words are there any teams that could come out of nowhere and take a playoff spot.

Nebuta
July 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Last year's "2006" playoff teams all had winning records in 2005.

Nebuta
July 25th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks UNHWildcats.

SuperJon
July 25th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Gotcha. Just misread it.

89Hen
July 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
This is actually a great question and needs to be bumped for more responses.

I will agree with the teams UNH listed. Plus, a lot of the Southland teams have a chance since most of the conference had losing records...

Texas State 5-6
Stephen F. Austin 4-7
Northwestern State 4-7
Nicholls State 4-7
Southeastern Louisiana 2-9

Saint3333
July 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Citadel, Colgate, Delaware, GSU, and any of the Southland teams not named SE LA.

I'd say the most likely would be Delaware, GSU, Citadel in that order. The southland will once again beat each other up and McNeese will come out on top (one bid conference).

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:27 AM
Citadel, Colgate, Delaware, GSU, and any of the Southland teams not named SE LA.

I'd say the most likely would be Delaware, GSU, Citadel in that order. The southland will once again beat each other up and McNeese will come out on top (one bid conference).

I don't know. I think many in the Southland could make some noise this year. If Sam beats NDSU in Fargo watch out, and NW State is always a dark horse that finds themselves in the mix.

Saint3333
July 26th, 2007, 11:40 AM
I don't know. I think many in the Southland could make some noise this year. If Sam beats NDSU in Fargo watch out, and NW State is always a dark horse that finds themselves in the mix.

SHSU plays its three toughest opponents on the road: Ok. St., NDSU, and McNeese. These games coupled with a tough southland schedule leaves no room for error.

NW St.'s schedule is even tougher @ Ole Miss, @ Texas Tech, @ McNeese, @ SHSU, @ Northeastern, @ NSU. Sorry NW St. fans but the playoffs aren't in your 2007 future.

Looking at all the Southland schedules I believe the winner of the conference will be 7-4, 8-3 at best. Their schedules are that tough and there isn't a lot separating the best team from the 4th best team in that conference.

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Playoff picture for 2007 will be almost exactly what it was in 2006. Except, NDSU will take a high playoff seed...they are good. App. State is going to make it, but they can't repeat...sorry guys. Ummm...Cal Poly is looking pretty good again. UMass will slip by...and maybe Youngstown State, there team was pretty young last year. But above all (I hate to sound conceded), the Montana Grizzlies are going out for revenge. This pretty much says it all:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/umgrizzliesfootball/normal_ufb4.jpg
We have almost every major starter back, and we only lost to Umass by two. Leave it to the Griz and Hauck to take care of their unfinished business.

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
Playoff picture for 2007 will be almost exactly what it was in 2006. Except, NDSU will take a high playoff seed...they are good. App. State is going to make it, but they can't repeat...sorry guys. Ummm...Cal Poly is looking pretty good again. UMass will slip by...and maybe Youngstown State, there team was pretty young last year. But above all (I hate to sound conceded), the Montana Grizzlies are going out for revenge. This pretty much says it all:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j194/umgrizzliesfootball/normal_ufb4.jpg
We have almost every major starter back, and we only lost to Umass by two. Leave it to the Griz and Hauck to take care of their unfinished business.

NDSU has one more year till they can be eligible for the playoffs. If they were in this year though I would predict them a seeded team also.

Lionsrking
July 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Looking at all the Southland schedules I believe the winner of the conference will be 7-4, 8-3 at best. Their schedules are that tough and there isn't a lot separating the best team from the 4th best team in that conference.

There isn't a lot separating 1-8 in the Southland. Somebody will finish first and somebody will finish last but there are no layups.

Saint3333
July 26th, 2007, 12:27 PM
ASU used the slogan "unfinished business" as their 1996 slogan after an 11-0 season to miss the playoffs the next year.

Saying it isn't likely ASU will three-peat is fine, but saying they can't repeat couldn't be further from the truth. We are the front runner until an FCS team beats us.

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
NDSU has one more year till they can be eligible for the playoffs. If they were in this year though I would predict them a seeded team also.
Whoa, they really have one more year until eligibility? Well that sucks for competition...but really good for Griz fans. They somewhat scare me. haha

EKU05
July 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
How can you have a sub-.500 record if you're required to have 7 Division I wins?

Even though we've cleared up the confusion, I actually have a sort of answer to this question anyway. The 7 wins is only for an at-large bid.

Although the OVC is now larger, when I arrived at EKU 7 years ago it only had 7 teams (for football)...resulting in only 6 conference games. Although it was EXTREMELY unlikely it was technically plausible for a team to go 5-1...or even 4-2 and win the conference, but drop every out of conference game resulting in a 5-6 or even 4-7 record and receive the auto-bid.

Though they didn't actually have a losing record, the 2002 Murray State team went 5-1 while clinching the OVC's auto-bid, but went only 2-4 against a brutal non-conference slate (it was a 12 game season obviously).

B&G
July 26th, 2007, 04:51 PM
How about Montana State? They have had a trying offseason. They could finish at around .500 if they are reeling from the distractions.

B&G
July 26th, 2007, 04:52 PM
ASU used the slogan "unfinished business" as their 1996 slogan after an 11-0 season to miss the playoffs the next year.

Saying it isn't likely ASU will three-peat is fine, but saying they can't repeat couldn't be further from the truth. We are the front runner until an FCS team beats us.

Yeah, ASU already repeated once. Just b/c no one had won 3 in a row yet doesn't mean it'll never happen.

saccat
July 26th, 2007, 04:56 PM
How about Montana State? They have had a trying offseason. They could finish at around .500 if they are reeling from the distractions.

I think we will be O.K. I am nervous about our O-Line, but if we can get the depth worked out, we should be fine. D is STACKED.

CrazyCat
July 26th, 2007, 05:00 PM

The question of the topic is, who in 2006 that was .500 or less would make the 2007 playoffs.xrulesx

Old Montana State Grad
July 26th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Even though we've cleared up the confusion, I actually have a sort of answer to this question anyway. The 7 wins is only for an at-large bid.

Although the OVC is now larger, when I arrived at EKU 7 years ago it only had 7 teams (for football)...resulting in only 6 conference games. Although it was EXTREMELY unlikely it was technically plausible for a team to go 5-1...or even 4-2 and win the conference, but drop every out of conference game resulting in a 5-6 or even 4-7 record and receive the auto-bid.

Though they didn't actually have a losing record, the 2002 Murray State team went 5-1 while clinching the OVC's auto-bid, but went only 2-4 against a brutal non-conference slate (it was a 12 game season obviously).

What was Northern Iowa's record when they made it to Chattanooga coming out of the Gateway as their auto seed? Too lazy to look it up, but I thought that was the year the Gateway had four in the tournament and perhaps they were 7-4 as we were last year. Not that this reasoning has anything to do with the thread, butxreadx

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Yeah, ASU already repeated once. Just b/c no one had won 3 in a row yet doesn't mean it'll never happen.
With your quarterback it is very possible. But Montana's Defense is top in the nation next year, and their offense stays the same except for a new QB and the return of the GREAT LEX HILLIARD. Not to mention the effects of Washington-Grizzly Stadium on its opponents. Over 82% winning percentage in that place. That is what is going to be keeping you from your so called 3-peat.

TxState_GO_CATS!
July 26th, 2007, 08:34 PM
There isn't a lot separating 1-8 in the Southland. Somebody will finish first and somebody will finish last but there are no layups.

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx exactly correct sir.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

skinny_uncle
July 26th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Getting eligible and joining the Gateway the same year.
Tough road for the Bison.

Applete
July 26th, 2007, 10:03 PM
[/QUOTE] Not to mention the effects of Washington-Grizzly Stadium on its opponents. Over 82% winning percentage in that place. That is what is going to be keeping you from your so called 3-peat.[/QUOTE]

hmm.....seems like UMASS was in the top 18% last year.....I wonder what percent APP was?xthumbsupx

CopperCat
July 26th, 2007, 10:09 PM

Was MSU a sub-.500 team last year?

No.