PDA

View Full Version : Gene Sapakoff on the FCS

CSUBUCDAD
July 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Our local sports expert(self proclaimed I might add) put in his two cents on the FCS today. I will have to give him credit, he understands that there is just as good, if not better football week in and week out on the FCS level as there is on the FBS level.

http://www.charleston.net/news/2007/jul/25/football_bowl_subdivision_no_subculture11376/

Football Bowl Subdivision is no subculture
By Gene Sapakoff (Contact)
The Post and Courier
Wednesday, July 25, 2007

GREENVILLE — Jerome Felton is a marvelous fullback who scored a crazy 23 touchdowns last season. He is a senior at Furman and therefore a smart guy.
But Felton didn't exactly hit paydirt in an exam administered by a certain smart columnist Tuesday at the Southern Conference Football Rouser.

The test went like this:

"Hello, Jerome. Do you know what FCS stands for?"

"Hold on one second ... Football College Subdivision? Hold on ... What does it stand for?"

"Football Championship Subdivision."

"Ah, I knew that. I really did know that."

Did you?

Probably not, and that's just fine. Because the NCAA's new football classification titles will take some getting used to, mostly because they are silly.

The major conference level formerly known as Division I-A is now the Football Bowl Subdivision. Or Bowl Subdivision. Or FBS.

What once was Division I-AA, including leagues such as the Southern Conference and Big South, is now the Football Championship Subdivision.

AggieFinn
July 25th, 2007, 04:39 PM
I liked the article a lot.

seantaylor
July 26th, 2007, 12:43 AM
Sapakoff might be the biggest fool in the country not named Bush. Just a little FYI.

chattanoogamocs
July 26th, 2007, 01:39 AM
I am right there with you Sean...but, did you mean fool or tool (ah, doesn't matter, Sapakoff is both). ;)

Go on any SoCon fansite and mention him.

SoCon basketball fans will know this one...."College of Charleston, the Saviors of the SoCon!"