PDA

View Full Version : CAA preseason predictions

Cobblestone
July 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Looks like a battle between UMASS and UNH for the top spot. Both teams appear equally strong and well balanced. As for us... gee, another 4-7 season is predicted, what a surprise. xrolleyesx xsmhx

http://www.philsteele.com/online/Colonial Conference.pdf

Kosty
July 10th, 2007, 09:00 AM
Good to see everyone is starting to use the FCS name instead of 1-AA. Sheesh. xnonono2x

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 10th, 2007, 09:09 AM
I guess you are just looking at the North predictions? xconfusedx

In the North alone he is calling for a three-way tie between UMass, UNH, and Maine. And JMU is predicted to win the South. Not sure how you get only UMass and UNH out of that.

GannonFan
July 10th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Odd predictions. A 3-way tie for first in the North among Maine, UMass, and UNH (not sure how he expects UNH to match UMass this year without Ball and without key producers on defense) - Maine could be a dark horse since their defense is so good, plus they and UMass get the easy part of the South (nova, W&M, and Towson) in the interdivision games. Plus he's a little higher on Hofstra than I would think - I think they're looking at another long year. In the South, he has JMU and UD only playing two crossover games (NE and URI) when of course they play 3 and he's missing the big one, UNH. He's definitely much lower on Towson than most people - of course, most people use caution when saying this could be Towson's year - they still need to win a big game to show that. But Richmond at 3rd? Odd. And nova could be flat out awful this year - strange to see them picked to be anything but the cellar.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 10th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Odd predictions. A 3-way tie for first in the North among Maine, UMass, and UNH (not sure how he expects UNH to match UMass this year without Ball and without key producers on defense) - Maine could be a dark horse since their defense is so good, plus they and UMass get the easy part of the South (nova, W&M, and Towson) in the interdivision games. Plus he's a little higher on Hofstra than I would think - I think they're looking at another long year. In the South, he has JMU and UD only playing two crossover games (NE and URI) when of course they play 3 and he's missing the big one, UNH. He's definitely much lower on Towson than most people - of course, most people use caution when saying this could be Towson's year - they still need to win a big game to show that. But Richmond at 3rd? Odd. And nova could be flat out awful this year - strange to see them picked to be anything but the cellar.

Wow! I can't believe I'm saying this but for the first time I think I agree 100% with GannonFan! xlolx ;) I think you'd agree with my predictions in the other thread a little more, my homerism aside in picking JMU to win the South, of course.

HensRock
July 10th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Actually, he's predicting 3-way tie in the North between UMass, UNH and Maine. Steele's predictions:

North:
1. UMass
1. UNH
1. Maine
4. Hofstra
5. Northeastern
6. URI

South:
1. JMU
2. UD
3. Richmond
4. Towson
5. 'nova
6. W&M

I'd say he has UNH, JMU, Hofstra and Richmond too high - Northeastern too low. Maine will be competitive, but having to replace a 4-year starter at QB is not usually a smooth transistion. The Spiders lose a ton on D. JMU loses almost half their starters from last year on each side of the ball. Both UMass and UNH have significant losses on D and each lose a key contributor on offense.

Here's how I see it:

North:
1. UMass
2. NU (Yes, Northeastern!)
3. Maine
4. UNH
5. URI
6. Hof.

South:
1. UD (yeah, I'm a homer - sue me)
2. JMU
3. TU
4. UR
5. W&M
6. 'nova

I think there will be a lot more parity in the North this season than most people expect. I feel that Hofstra will be very competitive in 2008, but are still a little young this year. URI might surprise. Those top 5 in the north will all be competitive.

In the south, UD returns 10 or 11 starters on O and has no where to go but up on defense. It will be tough for JMU to replace Rascati but they still have Holloman who is very quick. Towson lost some games last year by hugh scores, I just don't see them being the world-beaters everyone else does quite yet, but I slipped them in at 3rd and may challenge JMU (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt) Yes, They beat the Hens 2 years running, but have struggled (that's being kind) with the top programs in the league. Richmond loses 8 starters on D. W&M had only 1 conference win last season and loses Elijah Brooks (who I thought was a great back, BTW). Nova loses their entire offense (I'm talking about Burroughs)

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 10th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Just curious, does everybody realize that UMass lost 9 seniors who were 1st or 2nd Team All Conference?

And that Maine's Defense lost four 1st or 2nd Team All Conference members as well as their four year starter at QB, their 2nd Team All Conference running back and three of the top four overall leading running backs (according to Mr. Steele)?

andy7171
July 10th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Just curious, does everybody realize that UMass lost 9 seniors who were 1st or 2nd Team All Conference?

And that Maine's Defense lost four 1st or 2nd Team All Conference members as well as their four year starter at QB, their 2nd Team All Conference running back and three of the top four overall leading running backs (according to Mr. Steele)?

OK fine. Everyone move Northeastern up to #1 in the North! :D

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 10th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Where ever Husky Alum is in his travels today, I bet he just spewed something onto his keyboard! :p xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Col Hogan
July 10th, 2007, 12:52 PM

True statement...big holes to fill...

But...how many UMass players are on the philsteele preseason All-CAA First team? 3 O, 3 D...big hole fillers...what other school has 6 1st teamers...

I've been saying for a while that UMass does not deserve the high rating polls have been giving them until the new guys prove it on the field...xchinscratchx xchinscratchx xchinscratchx

BillLuc1982
July 10th, 2007, 01:31 PM
UD will surprise a lot of people in the South Division. However, my pick is UMass.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 10th, 2007, 01:49 PM
The only way UD could surprise anyone is with a stellar defensive effort and results to show for it. No one will be "surprised" by UD's prolific offense anymore than UNH's Offense.

Having said that, the UD v. UNH rematch should be a hell of a fun game to watch this year!

UNH_Alum_In_CT
July 10th, 2007, 02:04 PM

True statement...big holes to fill...

But...how many UMass players are on the philsteele preseason All-CAA First team? 3 O, 3 D...big hole fillers...what other school has 6 1st teamers...

I've been saying for a while that UMass does not deserve the high rating polls have been giving them until the new guys prove it on the field...xchinscratchx xchinscratchx xchinscratchx

No argument that those six guys are significant returnees -- two were 1st team last year, three were 2nd team and the sixth was 3rd team. They were integral parts of UMass last year as opposed to newcomers filling holes this year. Especially when none of them play WR, RB or Punter. And wasn't Alex Miller a Center?

Just to be clear, I only made my statement to demonstrate that there were losses in Amherst that were significant enough that catching the Minutemen was possible, especially on paper at this early date. I'm not foolish enough to think that there isn't talent waiting in the wings and that UMass isn't going to be a significant player in the CAA this Fall.

Obviously, with two OL and a TE on that 1st Team All CAA prediction bodes well for UMass especially with an experienced QB. How many from your OL two deep are returning? Did I read that Nick Diana is moving to Center?

SunCoastBlueHen
July 10th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Having said that, the UD v. UNH rematch should be a hell of a fun game to watch this year!

The over/under in that one might be triple digits. :)

HensRock
July 10th, 2007, 02:52 PM

Yes, re-read my post. That is why I said that I think there will be more parity in the north than most expect. I'm still picking UMass because they have significant skill and experience at QB and OL, but I don't expect them to run the conference like last season. The Black Hole defense will still be the Black Hole defense. Hager is a proven winner and I expect he will have NU ready to challenge. URI returns a lot of starters.

GannonFan
July 10th, 2007, 02:58 PM
The only way UD could surprise anyone is with a stellar defensive effort and results to show for it. No one will be "surprised" by UD's prolific offense anymore than UNH's Offense.

I'm not sure a "stellar" defense will be needed to see a change in results. Just being something better than truly horrible will be a big step in a positive direction. UD only lost 2 games by more than a TD (a 14 point loss and a 20 point loss, both at the low-water mark of the defense) so it's not like UD needs to be the second coming of the '85 Bears to be successful.

Spider
July 10th, 2007, 03:30 PM
But Richmond at 3rd? Odd. And nova could be flat out awful this year - strange to see them picked to be anything but the cellar.

Probably because we have almost everyone back on 'O'. The defense will be another story, but it's easier to build the 'D' than the 'O' and our defensive speed will be a factor.....

KAUMASS
July 10th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Team chemistry has a big part in the win column. Talent can only take a team so far and how a team looks on paper can be smoke and mirrors. Pre-season picks mean "19" in cribbage to me. "0" to all you non cribbagers'. As far as I'm concerned, the conference is wide open. One thing I will go out on the limb for. There will be surprises and dissapointments in the CAA in '07.

As a team member in '87, we were ranked 9th in preseason in the country. We had all the talent in the world and lots of returning starters and all conference picks. We got smoked most of the year because guys didn't get along and went 3-8. We had much less "talent" in '88, but we had great chemistry and leadership and were 8-3 and playoff bound.
It is difficult to predict a team's chemistry and pulse in pre-season.

Good luck to all CAA teams in '07. How many days left until kickoff?

Tribe4SF
July 10th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Maine has alot of rebuilding to do. They lost some very good defensive players, and a huge percentage of their offense in Whitcomb and the TB who converted from WR last year. The team also lost some good coaches to ODU. I think this will be a tough year for the Black Bears.

umassfan
July 11th, 2007, 12:08 AM
We really return 4 starters from the OLine. One sat out all last season after being injured in game 1. We reshirted some big boys last season because our OLine was so deep. At RB... the A10 will remember the name Tony Nelson very fast. He was suppose to go to Clemson out of HS but they pulled his ship at the last minute. He didnt get alot of time last year because we had Baylark, but this is his season now. At WR we will be fine. We lose London but still have Rancher(6'6) Moore(speedster) and this kid Victor Cruz coming in who will be our best WR on the team. Cruz runs the best routs and has good speed. I believe he is 6'2 also. The DLine will be the only hole coming into preseason camp. We are set and deep at every other poss. The late run and formations Coach Brown runs allows for his teams to be good season after season. There should be no letdown in Amherst come the fall. UMass will finish in the top 5 yet again this season!

MR. CHICKEN
July 11th, 2007, 06:30 AM

ANDEEE!........AH KNOW YER BEIN' FACETIOUS..........HOWEVERAH......TO DOSE PUSHIN' FO' NOR'EASTER...xeekx...DEY HAVE UH VERAH TOUGH OUT O' CONFERENCE......WHIFF FBS NOR'WESTERN......NOR'WESTERN STATE.....AN' UH CROSS COUNTRY JAUNT....TA LA-LA LAND...(UC-DAVIS)....COUPLE DESE FACTS WHIFF DUH USUAL KILLERAH CAA....UD/UNH/UMA$$ ON DUH ROAD....JMU/MAINE....AT DERE VACANT LOT.......AN' DUH HUSKIE AD.....MAY NEED TA TAKE UH LESSON FROM....MONTANA'S AD.....(FORT LEWIS....KNUCKLE-DRAGGERS)........AH'M WHIFF STEELE ON DIS ONE........;)...BRAWK!

yorkcountyUNHfan
July 11th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Team chemistry has a big part in the win column. Talent can only take a team so far and how a team looks on paper can be smoke and mirrors. Pre-season picks mean "19" in cribbage to me. "0" to all you non cribbagers'. As far as I'm concerned, the conference is wide open. One thing I will go out on the limb for. There will be surprises and dissapointments in the CAA in '07.

As a team member in '87, we were ranked 9th in preseason in the country. We had all the talent in the world and lots of returning starters and all conference picks. We got smoked most of the year because guys didn't get along and went 3-8. We had much less "talent" in '88, but we had great chemistry and leadership and were 8-3 and playoff bound.
It is difficult to predict a team's chemistry and pulse in pre-season.

Good luck to all CAA teams in '07. How many days left until kickoff?

As much as it pains me to say it I agree 100% with this U Mass guy.xpeacex

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 11th, 2007, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure a "stellar" defense will be needed to see a change in results. Just being something better than truly horrible will be a big step in a positive direction. UD only lost 2 games by more than a TD (a 14 point loss and a 20 point loss, both at the low-water mark of the defense) so it's not like UD needs to be the second coming of the '85 Bears to be successful.

I agree, but I was only referring to the poster who said Delaware might surprise some people this year. I think most are expecting a playoff caliber team from Delaware. A good Def. effort will get them there no doubt!

But c'mon, we'd all be a little surprised if it was the defense that carried this year's team, and that was more my point.

BDKJMU
July 11th, 2007, 06:59 PM
A-10 North:
1. UNH: 8-3 (6-2 CAA, upsets UMass 11/10 to stay in playoff hunt)
1. UMASS: 8-3 (6-2 CAA)
3 Maine: 7-4 (5-3 CAA). 7-3 Maine loses @ 7-3 UNH 11/17 to get knocked
out of playoff hunt)
4. Northeastern: 5-6 (3-5 CAA)
5. Hofsta: 4-7 (2-6 CAA)
6 URI: 2-9 (0-8 CAA): Who in the CAA North or South (JMU, UD, UR) are they going to beat?

A-10 South:
1. Delaware: 9-2 (7-1 CAA)
1. JMU: 9-2 (7-1 CAA)-loses at UNC & at UD.
3. Towson: 7-4 (4-4 CAA). Just like last yr, heads into last game with JMU
at 7-3 with slim chance at playoffs due to weak OOC schedule & again loses.
4. UR: 5-6 (3-5 CAA): Finished 6-5/3-5 in A-10 /1-4 against A-10 south
last yr & loses 8 starters off of defense (has 9 coming back on
offense)
4. Villanova: 5-6 (3-5 CAA)
6. W&M: 4-7 (2-6 CAA).

This would be a total conference record of 48-48, 25-11 OOC. 06' was 23-13 OOC. Playoff teams would be UD (seed), JMU, UMass & UNH. 4 teams in, just like 04'

dennisdent
July 11th, 2007, 07:19 PM
We really return 4 starters from the OLine. One sat out all last season after being injured in game 1. We reshirted some big boys last season because our OLine was so deep. At RB... the A10 will remember the name Tony Nelson very fast. He was suppose to go to Clemson out of HS but they pulled his ship at the last minute. He didnt get alot of time last year because we had Baylark, but this is his season now. At WR we will be fine. We lose London but still have Rancher(6'6) Moore(speedster) and this kid Victor Cruz coming in who will be our best WR on the team. Cruz runs the best routs and has good speed. I believe he is 6'2 also. The DLine will be the only hole coming into preseason camp. We are set and deep at every other poss. The late run and formations Coach Brown runs allows for his teams to be good season after season. There should be no letdown in Amherst come the fall. UMass will finish in the top 5 yet again this season!

I have to agree with most of your take on the team; but Cruz isn't listed on the roster and I've heard he's not on the team any longer. Please prove me wrong.xthumbsupx

Watch out for NU this season...

KAUMASS
July 11th, 2007, 07:36 PM
As much as it pains me to say it I agree 100% with this U Mass guy.xpeacex

Respect right back at you..xthumbsupx

UMass was 2-9 in '97 and National champs in '98. Yes, a new coach in '98 but go figure.
I have a better shot at predicting how many times my wife is going to change her mind next week than who will win the CAA divisions.

I agree there are some favorites coming into the season, but we should have a pretty good idea by the time all CAA teams have played 2 league games.

umassfan
July 11th, 2007, 08:57 PM
I have to agree with most of your take on the team; but Cruz isn't listed on the roster and I've heard he's not on the team any longer. Please prove me wrong.xthumbsupx

Watch out for NU this season...

He is taking summer classes at UMass right now. He will be on the field come fall. PM me who you have heard hes not on the team any longer from and I will do the same back to you.

Brad82
July 12th, 2007, 06:58 AM
It is funny to see you guys defend Stowers and see you pick Rhody for last.

Tilldog40
July 12th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I think us NU fans are being quiet this year because we don't ever believe what the media or any writers say about us, because they are always wrong. We have a very good team coming back this year with younger guys turning into veterans now. I don't think people are off when they say to watch out for URI. They have many people coming back and if that option gets going, they can burn a defense down to nothing by the second half. If URI can play defense and hold teams off the field and let that offense keep the ball moving, they can beat anybody.

GannonFan
July 12th, 2007, 09:50 AM
It is funny to see you guys defend Stowers and see you pick Rhody for last.

Who's defending Stowers???? I just glanced real quick and couldn't see a post actually doing that. I think he's generally viewed as a mediocre coach, although coaching at URI is itself a pretty tall challenge even for a great coach.

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Overall Champ - UMass

North

1 - UMass (15)
2 - UNH (8)
3 - Maine
4 - N'eastern
5 - Hofstra
6 - URI

South

1 - JMU (11)
2 - Delaware (10)
3 - Towson (1)
4 - Richmond
5 - Villanova (1)
6 - W&M

1st place votes in ( )

redspider
July 25th, 2007, 10:56 AM
I disagree with Townson ending ahead of us. Also they and Villanova, pciked to finish below us, get a first place vote and Richmond gets none ? I know that the coaches cant vote for there own team but come on they could have given Richmond some love. I think the rest of the list makes sense.

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 11:03 AM
I disagree with Townson ending ahead of us. Also they and Villanova, pciked to finish below us, get a first place vote and Richmond gets none ? I know that the coaches cant vote for there own team but come on they could have given Richmond some love. I think the rest of the list makes sense.
I disagree with you mis-spelling Towson. Maybe they watched last years game films when putting Towson over UR? xrolleyesx

Dukie95
July 25th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I see Richmond and Towson heading in opposite directions. The only thing that surprised me was the vote for Nova.

redspider
July 25th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Ha Ha well sorry for the mispelling. But I didn't see the game your team wasn't important enough to watch and you end up upsetting us. But we will see what happens this year maybe our Atlantic 10 All Conference LB Sherman Logan will only sack Schaefer 2 times. And I forget how many do you have on the Pre-Season All Conference? Lets put the rhetoric behind us. At the end of the day Townson will finish behind Richmond period.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I see Richmond and Towson heading in opposite directions. The only thing that surprised me was the vote for Nova.
Agreed on all counts. How the heck can anyone like Nova post-Burroughs? xconfusedx xsmhx

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Ha Ha well sorry for the mispelling. But I didn't see the game your team wasn't important enough to watch and you end up upsetting us. But we will see what happens this year maybe our Atlantic 10 All Conference LB Sherman Logan will only sack Schaefer 2 times. And I forget how many do you have on the Pre-Season All Conference? Lets put the rhetoric behind us. At the end of the day Townson will finish behind Richmond period.
xrolleyesx Oh please. xrolleyesx
Save it for the smack board.

Col Hogan
July 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM

If you would like to make a friendly wager on that, PM me...I like easy money...

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 11:41 AM
My worthless opinion (which seems to change all the time)...

North
1 - UMass - with the three transfers last week, clear cut fav in the N
2 - UNH - Santos will win some games on his own
3 - N'eastern - good balanced team, but tough road slate
4 - Maine
5 - Hofstra
6 - URI

South
1 - Delaware - Those that know me know this is a rare pick for me
2 - Towson - They may beat the Hens but will lose elsewhere
3 - JMU - I'm thinking a repeat of 2005
4 - Richmond
5 - W&M
6 - Villanova

SunCoastBlueHen
July 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
South
4 - Richmond
5 - W&M
6 - Villanova

I'm actually shocked to see you put the Hens up top. I also think UD will be greatly improved this season, but I'm curious as to the factors feeding your unusual pre-season optimism.

Cobblestone
July 25th, 2007, 11:50 AM
Overall Champ - UMass

North

1 - UMass (15)
2 - UNH (8)
3 - Maine
4 - N'eastern
5 - Hofstra
6 - URI

South

1 - JMU (11)
2 - Delaware (10)
3 - Towson (1)
4 - Richmond
5 - Villanova (1)
6 - W&M

1st place votes in ( )

We will shock the world! xhypedx

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 12:01 PM
I'm actually shocked to see you put the Hens up top. I also think UD will be greatly improved this season, but I'm curious as to what factors are feeding your unusual pre-season optimism.
Filled most of the holes on D from last year that cost them several games and only lost one on offense (albeit a BIG one). The key as in years past will be injuries... IF Marcorelle, Love, Flacco and Cuff stay healthy this year I think the Hens are the team to beat in the South. They should be able to simply outscore some teams and if the D improves even slightly, they should be able to keep them in the rest.

The CAA season for the Hens boils down to:
Sept. 22 at Towson
Oct. 6 at New Hampshire
Nov. 3 James Madison

I think they take 2 of 3. UNH and TU may be 45-41 type games and until JMU figures out a way to stop Cuff, that will be a tough one for the Dukes to win... JMU's last win in Newark... 1994. xeyebrowx

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM

North
4 - Maine
5 - Hofstra
6 - URI

South
4 - Richmond
5 - W&M
6 - Villanova

That's about what I'm thinking at this point. I might switch URI and Hofstra though in the North.

SunCoastBlueHen
July 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Filled most of the holes on D from last year that cost them several games and only lost one on offense (albeit a BIG one). The key as in years past will be injuries... IF Marcorelle, Love, Flacco and Cuff stay healthy this year I think the Hens are the team to beat in the South. They should be able to simply outscore some teams and if the D improves even slightly, they should be able to keep them in the rest.

The CAA season for the Hens boils down to:
Sept. 22 at Towson
Oct. 6 at New Hampshire
Nov. 3 James Madison

I think they take 2 of 3. UNH and TU may be 45-41 type games and until JMU figures out a way to stop Cuff, that will be a tough one for the Dukes to win... JMU's last win in Newark... 1994. xeyebrowx

I absolutely agree that the key to the season for the Hens will be shaking off the injury bug that has killed them the past two years. Such is life in the FCS - depth is hard to come by.

BTW - I think Agnone will more than adequately fill Patrick's shoes. xthumbsupx

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 12:11 PM
That's about what I'm thinking at this point. I might switch URI and Hofstra though in the North.
And I may actually switch you and UR after I come to W'burg in August. xsmiley_wix

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 12:12 PM
BTW - I think Agnone will more than adequately fill Patrick's shoes. xthumbsupx
If he does, I may have to make that 3 of 3. xsmiley_wix Ben was a stud.

JMU Duke Dog
July 25th, 2007, 12:27 PM

North
4 - Maine
5 - Hofstra
6 - URI

South
4 - Richmond
5 - W&M
6 - Villanova

I agree for the most part with you 89Hen. Here is also my worthless take on what will happen in 2007.

North
1. Massachusetts*
2. New Hampshire*
3. Maine*
4. Northeastern
5. Hofstra
6. Rhode Island

South
1. Delaware*
2. James Madison
3. Towson
4. Richmond
5. Villanova
6. William & Mary

*2007 CAA playoff team predictions.

Ironically, I think the North Division will be better than the South Division which will be getting more TV coverage. In my opinion, both JMU and Towson head into 2007 as good teams that will have overall winning records but also overrated and will ultimately fall short in reaching the playoffs.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 12:36 PM
Maine*
*2007 CAA playoff team predictions.
An interesting pick. They do avoid JMU and UD this year and get UMass and Towson at home, but if they lose to UMass and UNH they will have to win the rest of their I-AA games. A young, unproven QB will have to lead them.

saint0917
July 25th, 2007, 01:08 PM

North
4 - Maine
5 - Hofstra
6 - URI

South
4 - Richmond
5 - W&M
6 - Villanova

I remember a few years ago (4-5, maybe more) Umass got a Transfer from Notre Dame, he was a LB. And I have to say he was one of the worst LBs to play at Umass. Having transfers doesn't always translate into a winning season. But I'll take your word for it that we'll be No.1 in the North ;)

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I remember a few years ago (4-5, maybe more) Umass got a Transfer from Notre Dame, he was a LB. And I have to say he was one of the worst LBs to play at Umass. Having transfers doesn't always translate into a winning season. But I'll take your word for it that we'll be No.1 in the North ;)

Transfers, like high school recruits, are hit & miss, but when they hit, they often hit big.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
I remember a few years ago (4-5, maybe more) Umass got a Transfer from Notre Dame, he was a LB. And I have to say he was one of the worst LBs to play at Umass. Having transfers doesn't always translate into a winning season.
Agreed, but all three were starters, no? I'll take starter transfers over greenies. xthumbsupx

saint0917
July 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Transfers, like high school recruits, are hit & miss, but when they hit, they often hit big.

And I hope these guys hit big, but, we'll have to wait and see.

umassfan
July 25th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Agreed, but all three were starters, no? I'll take starter transfers over greenies. xthumbsupx

One was a starter... one played in every game for penn state... and the third im not sure if you mean the WR or FB we got from SU. The full back was a starter the WR wasnt.

GannonFan
July 25th, 2007, 01:37 PM
An interesting pick. They do avoid JMU and UD this year and get UMass and Towson at home, but if they lose to UMass and UNH they will have to win the rest of their I-AA games. A young, unproven QB will have to lead them.

Whitcomb didn't exactly set the world on fire for Maine last year so I'm not sure they'll even see much of a dropoff at QB despite the age issue. I think they'll have more problems finding someone to replace Arel Gordon.

Tribe4SF
July 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Unlike others, my picks are never worthless.:D

North

1. UMass*#
2. UNH*
3. Northeastern
4. Maine
5. URI
6. Hofstra

South

1. Delaware*
2. Towson
3. JMU
4. Richmond
5. W&M
6. Villanova

* Playoff teams
# Autobid

Maine will have a fine defense again, but they lost 80% of an offense that gained less than 300 yards per game in Ron Whitcomb and Arel Gordon. Whitcomb ran that show as it needed to be run, and won key games for them, such as the early season matchup with W&M. They may get that kind of leadership later in the year, but I think they will have a tough time scoring points early on.

The Tribe is a complete crapshoot this year. A young team that will be good at some point, but probably not this year. If the young speed performs well, they may surprise a few people. Look for a breakout season from Sophomore DT Sean Lissemore.

89Hen
July 25th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Whitcomb didn't exactly set the world on fire for Maine last year so I'm not sure they'll even see much of a dropoff at QB despite the age issue. I think they'll have more problems finding someone to replace Arel Gordon.
I only got to see him once last year, against Towson, but he still led that team like the seasoned veteran he was IMO.