View Full Version : OVC preseason picks

JaxSinfonian
July 25th, 2007, 07:07 AM
Coaches and SIDs voted at the Ohio Valley Conference's media day yesterday in Nashville (link to the release (http://www.ovcsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=6200&ATCLID=1097613)). Eastern Illinois was picked to win its third consecutive title. Interesting to note that Jax State is picked ahead of last year's co-champion Cinderellas, UT-Martin. I think Tennessee State is too low.

Predicted Order of Finish
1. Eastern Illinois (8 first-place votes) 150
2. Jacksonville State (6) 139
3. Tennessee-Martin (4) 126
4. Eastern Kentucky (1) 119
5. Tennessee State (1) 103
6. Tennessee Tech 79
7. Murray State 60
8. Southeast Missouri State 57
9. Samford 46
10. Austin Peay 21
(9 points awarded for a first-place vote, 8 for second, etc. - Coaches and SID’s could not vote for their own teams)

Cocky
July 25th, 2007, 07:55 AM
I would swap TSU and UTM but looks acceptable to me. Any of the top 5 could win the league this year.

Panthers_Blue
July 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Good to see EIU sitting on top. But this is just preseason speculation, got to play the whole season and see what happens. I would say any of the top three will make it a race.

Weems
July 25th, 2007, 03:06 PM
i'm shocked that UTM is ranked 3rd. Second i could understand. As stated before tho, i think the top 4, not including TSU could win the OVC.

EKU05
July 25th, 2007, 04:19 PM
i'm shocked that UTM is ranked 3rd. Second i could understand. As stated before tho, i think the top 4, not including TSU could win the OVC.

While I agree with the general sentiment that the top 5 teams will all be contenders, UTM is my pick. If I HAD to take a stab in the dark at putting an order to the top five right now I would say...

1. Skyhawks
2. Panthers
3. Colonels
4. Gamecocks
5. Tigers

EKU05
July 25th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Also, I just wanted to say that it's been really cool seeing an increase in OVC fans and OVC threads as this season approaches. Let's keep it guys!

Golden Eagle
July 25th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Just curious: why not TSU?

g-webb1994
July 25th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Am I to gather from that poll that some coach or SID actually thinks AP will finish out of the cellar?

The OVC, no doubt, is a pure crapshoot this season. I'm just glad we don't have to deal with UT-Martin again after last year's ass-whipping.

ekufbfan
July 25th, 2007, 08:04 PM
1. EIU
2. JSU
3/4. EKU/UTM ?????????

I think EKU has the talent to win it all, but after last year's breakdown on the road at TTU and WCU and now the having to play EIU and JSU on the road, just not sure we can make it happen this season. Sure has been a longggggggg time waiting for a OVC Championship. Championships that we won on regular basis in years past. How we long for a return to the days when EKU not only was picked at the top BUT more importantly finished at the top.

GO COLONELS!

Golden Eagle
July 25th, 2007, 11:40 PM
Am I to gather from that poll that some coach or SID actually thinks AP will finish out of the cellar?

My math tells me that one of them voted APSU ninth instead of tenth.