PDA

View Full Version : Griz player JD Quinn arrested

patssle
July 24th, 2007, 10:44 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2946877

this isn't his 1st DUI, he's had 1 or more while at OU.

patssle
July 24th, 2007, 10:49 PM
reading through egriz, found this nice gem

I could careless if the guy gets a DUI. Lots of people from all walks of life have had a DUI.

Very nice.

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2007, 10:53 PM

Very nice.

According to Zem on the McNeese board, that's not his first one.

umassfan
July 24th, 2007, 10:58 PM
If its his second... doesnt that usually result in some jail time... if there is jail time should he even play this season.

patssle
July 24th, 2007, 10:59 PM

yeah, he had 1 or 2 while at OU. If Montana has any class, they need to cut this guy. He has major attitude problems and can't seem to learn from his mistakes.

If its his second... doesnt that usually result in some jail time... if there is jail time should he even play this season.

I don't think so, his first/second ones were in Oklahoma.

ncbears
July 24th, 2007, 11:03 PM

Very nice.

Whow wrote that?

umassfan
July 24th, 2007, 11:04 PM
In Montana it stated as a first offense if conviceted it would be a 24 hour - 60 days in jail. Prob is... its not his first offense.

Maverick
July 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
UMassfan,
What law school did you graduate from? Are you licensed to practice in Montana? I am not disputing the kid's driving record, but how they do it in Montana may not fit with your interpretation. I am by no means endorsing DUI as acceptable but the laws as well as the application vary from state to state so don't go spouting off what the local prosecutor and law enforcement should be doing or should have done.

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2007, 11:22 PM
Zem from the McNeese board apparently taught him in high school...here's a link to what he has to say about it.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?msg=7640.1

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Here's the correct link...I think

http://forums.delphiforums.com/geauxcowboys/messages/?start=Start+Reading+%3E%3E

Lionsrking
July 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
UMassfan,
What law school did you graduate from? Are you licensed to practice in Montana? I am not disputing the kid's driving record, but how they do it in Montana may not fit with your interpretation. I am by no means endorsing DUI as acceptable but the laws as well as the application vary from state to state so don't go spouting off what the local prosecutor and law enforcement should be doing or should have done.

Montana law aside, if it's true there's a history of DUI, regardless of where it occured, there's no way the University of Montana should allow him to play football, IMO. I surely hope we wouldn't allow a young man to play with multiple DUI's. Talk about a terrible message being sent.

youwouldno
July 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
The guy's a turd. If Montana had integrity they would cut him. It's not so much the DUI itself, though that's bad, but this is a player that had to leave his first program. Given a second chance, and he does this? Incredible.

SeattleGriz
July 25th, 2007, 12:59 AM
I got a DUI in 2000, please don't cut me :D

First off, I would have no problem with Hauck cutting Quinn.

Secondly, I sure hope to hell everyone else's program is up to par, because those in glass houses...

umassfan
July 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM
UMassfan,

I looked up the law for Montana DUI.

Grizalltheway
July 25th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I looked up the law for Montana DUI.

That sure contradicts your signature. xeyebrowx

aggie6thman
July 25th, 2007, 01:44 AM
The guy's a turd. If Montana had integrity they would cut him. It's not so much the DUI itself, though that's bad, but this is a player that had to leave his first program. Given a second chance, and he does this? Incredible.

Could it be the desire to win at all costs?

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 03:04 AM

No. Montana has more integrity than this.

Hauck needs to consider cutting Quinn.

If he can cut Jason Washington for "not doing what I say" than he can sure say goodbye to someone who puts others at danger, including his own wife and kids (yeah it sounds extreme but think about it)

U of M has had alot more class than this in the past, and Griz players past and present have been first class. If Hauck does not take a stance on this he needs to be let go or things are going to keep getting worse. MSU's reaction to Kramer may have been knee-jerk but atleast it was a step in a positive direction. This is the first time UM has had problems with this stuff and it all seems to be coming pretty quick.

But keep in mind FCS fans we all know your programs aren't perfect. Feel free to point fingers when you want but chances are there are some skeletons in your closet too.

Grizalltheway
July 25th, 2007, 03:24 AM
No. Montana has more integrity than this.

Hauck needs to consider cutting Quinn.

If he can cut Jason Washington for "not doing what I say" than he can sure say goodbye to someone who puts others at danger, including his own wife and kids (yeah it sounds extreme but think about it)

U of M has had alot more class than this in the past, and Griz players past and present have been first class. If Hauck does not take a stance on this he needs to be let go or things are going to keep getting worse. MSU's reaction to Kramer may have been knee-jerk but atleast it was a step in a positive direction. This is the first time UM has had problems with this stuff and it all seems to be coming pretty quick.

But keep in mind FCS fans we all know your programs aren't perfect. Feel free to point fingers when you want but chances are there are some skeletons in your closet too.

I agree with Hauck needing to cut Quinn, but I just don't see it happening unless he gets another serious infraction. Hauck set a precedent with cutting Washington that he won't uphold with Quinn, even though what he did was much more serious.

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 03:38 AM
I agree with Hauck needing to cut Quinn, but I just don't see it happening unless he gets another serious infraction. Hauck set a precedent with cutting Washington that he won't uphold with Quinn, even though what he did was much more serious.

Exactly. I guess thats what I'm trying to say. But come on people read between the lines - Washington was a subpar player and was cut for "not doing waht I say" - Quinn is already a superstar and gets this type of treatment.

Like I said when Washington got cut, Hauck has a great brain on the field. I just wish sometimes he could use it just as well off the field.

T-Dog
July 25th, 2007, 05:07 AM
But keep in mind FCS fans we all know your programs aren't perfect.

No argument over here. It's not like UM and MSU are the only two teams that have players that do stupid stuff. I hope everyone remembers that.

Hope your coach does the right thing and sets the precedent that DUI's/DWI's are untolerable. xthumbsupx Also sounds like since it's his 2nd offense he won't be getting off easy.

UMStudent
July 25th, 2007, 05:54 AM
******************WARNING RANT CONTENT*******************
READ IT ALL OR MOVE ON

I like how everyone thinks this is a big deal ... when its not. Disciplinary action will be enforced, and I don't think anyone in this town cares if he's cut. Personally I feel he should stay he's a good player, and now he's one of us. Yes a lot people in this town get DUI's, the whole state of Montana police force is cracking down on DUI's. Thats probably why you saw that statement on egriz. "I could careless if the guy gets a DUI. Lots of people from all walks of life have had a DUI." What can I say we like to socialize. Yeah Montanas' integrity is affected by this incident, and by his past. To tell you the truth though, we like to WIN and this guy is filling in a key position on our o-line. He also comes from a school that runs the ball. We have a fleet of outstanding running backs this year, and this guy has the potential to take a lot of preasure off their backs. This isn't pro football, these guys are young they make mistakes its called growing up. This guy has already been made an example of for the BCS, I don't think this is worthy of him being cut. Hell if you want recruit all eagle scouts to save your integrity go ahead, but were here to win. People already consider us a nasty football team and I don't care, Its fu<<ing Montana football boys. Off the field a lot these guys are stand up citizen and students in our community and state. When I see that opposing fans post these kind of things on this site I see at as a pathetic attempt to rub ***** in our eyes. Maybe your jealous of what we have, I don't care because its people like you that made the GRIZ NATION what it is today. Thats why we boo when your team takes the field, its why we yell on every opp. offensive plays, and cheer for every big play the Griz make. We don't care about other teams off the field problems why cause all we care about is the Griz, and how they are going to dominate your team on the field. So say what you think, because I know when its negative temps in Wash-Griz stadium I'll be LOUD AND PROUD of that team on the field no matter whos playing for them.

I excluded that murdering pig and Freeman from my statment they desreved what they got. They are not even in the same ball park as this. They lost their titles as Montana football players and I still think thats not enough. So if you have to bring these guy up as a reply to my statment you dont enough about Quinn, Montana football, and the issue at hand. To me you'll sound like another losser who cant amount to anything relevant to the situation at hand.
We do care about Montana St. though ecspecially their problems. Were brothers in the great state of Montana, but like brothers we feud and rival. So I excluded them from my statment. That and we have the brawl of the wild, thats how settle things.
UMassFan im not even going to waste my breathe on you. I respect your team and what they did last year, but what you said and what your signature says just confirms your just another person to ignore.

katstrapper
July 25th, 2007, 06:08 AM
I dont think there is anything wrong with the integrity of the Montana program at all. The only problem I see is if this is Quinn's second offense, someone needs to get the kid some help. However, if someone wants to talk law, I think there is one thing that is true everywhere, INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY!!

In SHSU's 2004 playoff season, our starting QB Dustin Long was pulled over and arrested for DUI, but when the facts were presented he was cleared. Facts need to be presented before rushing to judgement. I will say that with everything he went through at OU, you would think he would try and keep out of trouble.xcoffeex

Col Hogan
July 25th, 2007, 06:12 AM
READ IT ALL OR MOVE ON

I like how everyone thinks this is a big deal ... when its not. Disciplinary action will be enforced, and I don't think anyone in this town cares if he's cut. Personally I feel he should stay he's a good player, and now he's one of us. Yes a lot people in this town get DUI's, the whole state of Montana police force is cracking down on DUI's. Thats probably why you saw that statement on egriz. "I could careless if the guy gets a DUI. Lots of people from all walks of life have had a DUI." What can I say we like to socialize. Yeah Montanas' integrity is affected by this incident, and by his past. To tell you the truth though, we like to WIN and this guy is filling in a key position on our o-line. He also comes from a school that runs the ball. We have a fleet of outstanding running backs this year, and this guy has the potential to take a lot of preasure off their backs. This isn't pro football, these guys are young they make mistakes its called growing up. This guy has already been made an example of for the BCS, I don't think this is worthy of him being cut. Hell if you want recruit all eagle scouts to save your integrity go ahead, but were here to win. People already consider us a nasty football team and I don't care, Its fu<<ing Montana football boys. Off the field a lot these guys are stand up citizen and students in our community and state. When I see that opposing fans post these kind of things on this site I see at as a pathetic attempt to rub ***** in our eyes. Maybe your jealous of what we have, I don't care because its people like you that made the GRIZ NATION what it is today. Thats why we boo when your team takes the field, its why we yell on every opp. offensive plays, and cheer for every big play the Griz make. We don't care about other teams off the field problems why cause all we care about is the Griz, and how they are going to dominate your team on the field. So say what you think, because I know when its negative temps in Wash-Griz stadium I'll be LOUD AND PROUD of that team on the field no matter whos playing for them.

I excluded that murdering pig and Freeman from my statment they desreved what they got. They are not even in the same ball park as this. They lost their titles as Montana football players and I still think thats not enough. So if you have to bring these guy up as a reply to my statment you dont enough about Quinn, Montana football, and the issue at hand. To me you'll sound like another losser who cant amount to anything relevant to the situation at hand.
We do care about Montana St. though ecspecially their problems. Were brothers in the great state of Montana, but like brothers we feud and rival. So I excluded them from my statment. That and we have the brawl of the wild, thats how settle things.
UMassFan im not even going to waste my breathe on you. I respect your team and what they did last year, but what you said and what your signature says just confirms your just another person to ignore.

LMFAO!!!!!xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Great rationalization!!!! "We don't care if we have scum, we want to WIN"....

Seriously, if you accept a lower standard to win, you will get lower standards...Your team...and if it was my team...CAN NOT ACCEPT winning as a reason for "boys being boys"...

I've always respected teams that stood up and took action...appropriate action...

For a second DUI, getting kicked off the team is the only appropriate action...Obviously he did not learn the first time...

Hope I still respect Montana in the morning...xsmoochx

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
READ IT ALL OR MOVE ON

I get the feeling if this guy was a Falcons fan he'd be defending Mike Vick. He'd have loved the Miami Hurricanes from the late 80's and early 90's!

Mort
July 25th, 2007, 07:05 AM
READ IT ALL OR MOVE ON

So much mindless nonsense, so many directions to go with this literary masterpiece xrolleyesx, so little time.

Rather than waste the time addressing all of this (I only have a few minutes, not several hours), I'll just say that this is what happens when kids with keyboards are allowed unsupervised access to the internet. xsmhx

Also, I'm sure UM students across campus are proud that you're one of them. xbowx

Finally, for society's sake, I hope you're not a pre-law or law student at UM. xeekx

Tribe4SF
July 25th, 2007, 07:08 AM
Ten days ago my comment on Mr. Quinn was..."Good luck with this guy."

I rest my case.

CopperCat
July 25th, 2007, 08:53 AM
LMFAO!!!!!xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox xlmaox

Great rationalization!!!! "We don't care if we have scum, we want to WIN"....

Seriously, if you accept a lower standard to win, you will get lower standards...Your team...and if it was my team...CAN NOT ACCEPT winning as a reason for "boys being boys"...

I've always respected teams that stood up and took action...appropriate action...

For a second DUI, getting kicked off the team is the only appropriate action...Obviously he did not learn the first time...

Hope I still respect Montana in the morning...xsmoochx

I agree djp.

As a fellow Montanan, that rant really boiled my blood. DUI's ARE NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE LIGHTLY. DRUNK DRIVERS KILL PEOPLE. If you have the lack of control and judgement to get multiple DUI's, then get the hell off of the road, and go spend some time thinking about how selfish you are.

Bay Area Kitten
July 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I think there is more Envy than justice shown on this board, The case will most likely not even get to court until January and in America it is Innocent until PROVEN guilty!

Around here you guys show that you believe you're the judge, jury and prosecutor - Hell let's just hang the SOB and get it over with? Then we'll all sleep much better at night!

Col Hogan
July 25th, 2007, 09:17 AM
I think there is more Envy than justice shown on this board, The case will most likely not even get to court until January and in America it is Innocent until PROVEN guilty!

Around here you guys show that you believe you're the judge, jury and prosecutor - Hell let's just hang the SOB and get it over with? Then we'll all sleep much better at night!

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Playing football is not a right, it's a priviledge!!!!

Someone who is charged with breaking laws can and should lose priviledges...

That is different that losing the RIGHT of Innocent until proven guilty...

I wish people would stop mixing up the two.....

Bay Area Kitten
July 25th, 2007, 09:22 AM

"you're the judge, jury and prosecutor "xbowx

Kymermosst
July 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Hey Kitty, I'm pretty sure the phrase is "judge, jury, and executioner" ;)

Semantics aside, the coach needs to consider some sort of disciplinary action. He hasn't been found guilty, but he's got a history and is setting a poor example. Even if he is found innocent, he still did something drawing negative attention to his program.

Waiting until the court decision to react basically says that the coach doesn't care until he absolutely has to, and all that really matters is what happens on the field. To hell with everything else.

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
If Quinn has a previous DUI that was strike one.
Accepting pay for work he didn't perform while at OU was strike two.
A second DUI in MT is an obvious strike three.

At a minimum he got behind the wheel with alcohol in his system (is he even 21?). I hope MT does the right thing and cuts this guy loose.

MT took a chance on a high risk transfer and I have no problems with giving second chances, but this should be the last straw, unless winning is more important than integrity.

This type of thing could happen anywhere (though the risk can be reduced by not accepting high risk kids), but the difference comes in how the schools handle it after the fact. I can safely say no kid with two DUIs would set foot on the field at WM, and alot of other schools can say the same.

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 09:45 AM
the coach needs to consider some sort of disciplinary action. He hasn't been found guilty, but he's got a history and is setting a poor example. Even if he is found innocent, he still did something drawing negative attention to his program.

Waiting until the court decision to react basically says that the coach doesn't care until he absolutely has to, and all that really matters is what happens on the field. To hell with everything else.

I'm not sure if you read the article...doesn't seem like it...but this is a quote from the article and coach Hauck...

Montana coach Bobby Hauck didn't release details Monday of the junior offensive lineman's arrest, saying only that disciplinary action will be taken.

"As always, there will be firm disciplinary measures taken, and those measures will be handled within our football team," Hauck said in a statement. "One of the disciplinary actions will include mandatory alcohol counseling."

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Montana doesn't need this headache, as was posted, this guy came in with two strikes against him and before the season starts, he's in trouble again. Hauck needs to do the right thing and cut Quinn loose.

Kymermosst
July 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM
My comment was so much for the coach as for the people who keep saying to let the kid go because the court hasn't found him guilty.

It's not about enforcing the law, the courts will do that (most of the time, anyway). It's about teaching a kid to get his head on straight.

YoUDeeMan
July 25th, 2007, 09:52 AM
UMStudent and Kitten: two new Montana posters and who instantly lowered the bar. xsmhx

There are some outstanding Montana posters on this board. xthumbsupx We certainly will not hold them responsible for your ignorance. xnodx

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
Could someone please provide some sort of proof about his "other" DUI or DUIs .....this is another quote from the article...Quinn was arrested for speeding and first-offense DUI...

I'm not saying he hasn't had prior arrest but I hope it would appear on his record.

YoUDeeMan
July 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM
So much mindless nonsense, so many directions to go with this literary masterpiece xrolleyesx, so little time.

Rather than waste the time addressing all of this (I only have a few minutes, not several hours), I'll just say that this is what happens when kids with keyboards are allowed unsupervised access to the internet. xsmhx

Also, I'm sure UM students across campus are proud that you're one of them. xbowx

Finally, for society's sake, I hope you're not a pre-law or law student at UM. xeekx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xthumbsupx xbowx

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Montana doesn't need this headache, as was posted, this guy came in with two strikes against him and before the season starts, he's in trouble again. Hauck needs to do the right thing and cut Quinn loose.

Once again....please provide some proof and not hearsay about this prior offense....I'm not saying it didn't happen but...

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 09:59 AM
My comment was so much for the coach as for the people who keep saying to let the kid go because the court hasn't found him guilty.

It's not about enforcing the law, the courts will do that (most of the time, anyway). It's about teaching a kid to get his head on straight.

I agree with yaxpeacex

laxVik
July 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM
We're guilty but other people are as well. I get it. xrolleyesx

GtFllsGriz
July 25th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Memo to brother football fans: Be very, very careful for the judgements you voice.

I will neither defend or convict this young man. I am a fan of a football team, not a judge or jury. Nor do I pretend to have the magic marker that draws the line for which a player cannot cross. That marker belongs to the coach and the powers that be at the university.

I do not condone Mr. Quinn's behavior. But it is not my job to decide his punishment. Decisions will be made and those that make the decisions will then own them. Those decisions can be reviseted in two years or whatever time frame that you like to see if they were the right decisions. People can change, get their act together and become stand up guys that have a great message to share with our youth. Or they can squander every opportunity that they have been given and be a huge disappointment to all that supported them leaving one to question the decisions that were made in his favor.

My message to you, that seem to have the magic marker, is be sure that it is available for EVERY player that commits the infractions that you are condemning. I wonder if the message board police are monitoring every FCS team, irrispective of won/loss records, to find those young men all across the nation that are commiting these infractions. 100 players per team x FCS teams is alot of young men. The percentages tell me that Mr. Quinn is not the only young man to get a DUI this summer.

When the MSU tragedys struck the egriz message board I strongly warned against jumping on any bandwagon to condem because we (all universities) are only one stupid action away from being put in the position to defend or explain the actions of a young man and those that will make decisions about that young man's fate on a football team. Less than a month later the unspeakable happened. It to, can happen to you and your university.

I apprecaite all of you that have established your values and will defend them at all costs and on each occassion. I to, have my own values but I will never judge a player or a coach on their actions and the decisions that they make. It is easy to make those decisions at the keyboard of a computer, it is much more difficult to make them when they affect the future of a young man and that of your whole family. I pray that none of your teams have to deal with any of these tragedies and I vow not to judge your team, coach or university when they strike you. And I guarantee, in time, they will.

Thank you for your time.

dbackjon
July 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
NAU has cut players for single DUI's. A program with class will not tolerate that type of behavior. Winning at any cost is the quickest route to probation.

If Montana doesn't take action, then maybe the Big Sky should step in.

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM
NAU has cut players for single DUI's. A program with class will not tolerate that type of behavior. Winning at any cost is the quickest route to probation.

If Montana doesn't take action, then maybe the Big Sky should step in.

jon, not trying to be an ass...but did you read the article?

Appaholic
July 25th, 2007, 10:21 AM
DUI's ARE NOT SOMETHING TO TAKE LIGHTLY. DRUNK DRIVERS KILL PEOPLE. If you have the lack of control and judgement to get multiple DUI's, then get the hell off of the road, and go spend some time thinking about how selfish you are.

Cellphones and driving kill people.....speed and driving kill people.....if it was about saving lives, the authorities would punish these acts in a manner consistent with DUI's. Let's be real, DUI's are a revenue generator, especially in college towns. The New Engalnd Journal of medicine has released studies showing that people talking on cell phones while driving have the same reaction times as people who are legally drunk. So forgive me if I don't crucify DUI's......they are no more selfish than cell phone drivers and speeders. They just get punished more severly than the other two while contributing no more statistically to highway deaths than the other two drivers.

Don't get me wrong, the guy placed himself in a precarious position for someone who has a checkered past, brought unfavorable press to the team, coaches and school and should be dealt with accordingly. IMO, a suspension is in order. You are punishing the person, but also leaving the support system intact. If you remove him from the team, you remove a support system that he may need to get over his issues.

NE MT GRIZZ
July 25th, 2007, 10:27 AM
The Billings Gazette said today that Quinn has already enrolled voluntarily in alcohol counseling. Quinn also gave the standard "I'm sorry to the team, fans, family, etc." and that he is ready to accept any punishment the school hands out.

He'll probably miss a few early games and then be on a zero tolerance policy after that.

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM
He'll probably miss a few early games and then be on a zero tolerance policy after that.

Sorry, but a guy coming in with his tract record of NCAA violation and a previous DUI (if true) should have been on a zero-tolerance policy since day one.

An alcohol abuse program is great, but it isn't a get out of jail free card (unless your last name is Lohan maybe).

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I googled 'dui arrest james david quinn' and came up with nothing but the Missoula arrest...sorry folks...please stop trying to pass hearsay off as fact

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 10:50 AM
I googled 'dui arrest james david quinn' and came up with nothing but the Missoula arrest...sorry folks...please stop trying to pass hearsay off as fact
Jeesh, I guess he got booted from OU for nothing then! He's a friggin saint!

andy7171
July 25th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Oh hey, that was hard! One minute of research produces...

"Quinn, 21, refused to give any details of his allegations about other players. He was in legal trouble at OU before last summer's incident. In 2004, Quinn was convicted of two misdemeanors (actual physical control of a vehicle while intoxicated and possession of a fake ID)."
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=070404_2_B1_Prima63278

jstate83
July 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM
xsmhx

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 10:58 AM

"Quinn, 21, refused to give any details of his allegations about other players. He was in legal trouble at OU before last summer's incident. In 2004, Quinn was convicted of two misdemeanors (actual physical control of a vehicle while intoxicated and possession of a fake ID)."

I wish I could be as smart as you...lighten up Francis...that's all I asked for was a little proof and up until now nobody had provided any..

UncleSam
July 25th, 2007, 11:00 AM

http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/small_ArtieJohnson.jpg

:p

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM

xeekx Say it isn't so...an under age college student with a fake IDxrolleyesx and for the record, I stated on another thread I think it's time to part ways with Mr. Quinn...

putter
July 25th, 2007, 11:08 AM
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangefootball/small_ArtieJohnson.jpg

:p

Funny how we forget...I remember having a fake ID in college and I am pretty sure I drove after having a beer or two. Doesn't make it right but most college kids have probably done the same. Except the posters on this board I am sure! xconfusedx

I think Quinn is a time bomb. With his attitude and arrogance I don't think it will get better with him but he has not done anything that 99% of all college kids do.

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I think Quinn is a time bomb. With his attitude and arrogance I don't think it will get better with him but he has not done anything that 99% of all college kids do.

I didn't know 99% of all college kids get arrested for DUI TWICE and accept pay for work they never performed. Guess I was in the 1% minority. Yes kids make mistakes, but this qualifies as a pattern of behavior and there is zero evidence he learned from his past mistakes. Playing football in college on an athletic scholarship is a PRIVLEDGE and as such should be reserved for those student athletes that represent their school in a positive way. It amazes me how many fans are willing to rationalize or overlook dangerous (not to mention) criminal behavior in order to win football games. I hope Quinn gets his life together and gets his diploma, but IMO he has forfeited his privledge of playing college football.

MLBowl, you must have played DB in HS, cause that is some backpedal you have...xlolx

laxVik
July 25th, 2007, 11:23 AM
I didn't know 99% of all college kids get arrested for DUI TWICE and accept pay for work they never performed. +1

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 11:29 AM

Oh...one more thing...'actual physical control of a vehicle while intoxicated' is not the same thing as DUI...http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=81351

"It should be emphasized again, however, that the words "actual physical control" are not synonymous with "drive." The Court of Criminal Appeals has stated that, by adding the words "actual physical control," the Legislature intended to apply the law to persons who control a vehicle but who may not have put the vehicle into motion."

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 11:31 AM
arrested for DUI TWICE

He hasn't been arrested for DUI twice...and yes I played free safety in H.S.:D

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 11:34 AM
and one more time...I BELIEVE IT"S TIME TO PART WAYS WITH MR. QUINN!!!:) xnodx :D

eagle1
July 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM
I can't believe you Griz guys are defending DUIs and down playing their severity. This guys sounds like a trouble maker and with the recent happenings with your corners in California it would be smart for Hauk to kick his butt out. EWU cut a defensive lineman transfer from Missouri last fall because he got a DUI. He left Missouri because of fighting with a teammate outside the lockerroom and he was told he had one more chance at EWU and getting the DUI sealed his fate. Go Eagles!!!

McNeese75
July 25th, 2007, 11:46 AM

Could it possibly be that the prior 2 were before he reached 18? It is indeed heresay but the comments by Zem on the McNeese website (Quinn was an ex-student of his in HS) indicate he got one in Texas the week of a playoff game and got another the first month he was at OU (according to his best friend). That is three possible DUI's in three different jurisdictions.

This kid has issues but hopefully he will straighten up and fly right. If he doesn't, shame on him and I am sure the Griz coaching staff will handle it appropriately. xtwocentsx

AND, I am not throwing stones here as we all have glass in our house. xnodx

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 11:58 AM
Could it possibly be that the prior 2 were before he reached 18?

It is definitely possible

mlbowl
July 25th, 2007, 12:02 PM
I can't believe you Griz guys are defending DUIs and down playing their severity. This guys sounds like a trouble maker and with the recent happenings with your corners in California it would be smart for Hauk to kick his butt out. EWU cut a defensive lineman transfer from Missouri last fall because he got a DUI. He left Missouri because of fighting with a teammate outside the lockerroom and he was told he had one more chance at EWU and getting the DUI sealed his fate. Go Eagles!!!

Where have I defended DUIs???(...If you are referring to my posts)...I think DUI is a very serious offense and I'm sure our Coach does as well

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I am a Griz fan who thinks there is absolutely no excuse. I don't care about the circumstances, the guy should be on a short leash as it is. Montana did not win their national championships with guys like this, but blue-collar boys who came to work and got it done.

Call me crazy...

I know this is normally not a huge deal at other schools but due to the timing of this it is time for U of M to make a statement to the community in Missoula, the state of Montana, the Big Sky Conference, and the rest of the FCS - that this is a program that can continue to have success on and off the field. It is time for the bar to be raised again and cutting Quinn would be the first step. I don't care if the guy single handedly wins every game for us, I don't care if he is a great guy (which I am sure there is more to him than the media gives him credit for). But this is simply not the time to let something like this pass by.

Those of you fellow Montana fans who think this kind of thing is ok - think about this: had this happened at a school like MSU or any other school in the FCS, you would be calling for Quinn's dismissal too. I think any GOOD Griz fan wants to see the bar raised again, cut the baggage, and get to kickin ass this fall as well as retaining the dignity and pride that is so special about this program.

SeattleGriz
July 25th, 2007, 01:15 PM
I am a Griz fan who thinks there is absolutely no excuse. I don't care about the circumstances, the guy should be on a short leash as it is. Montana did not win their national championships with guys like this, but blue-collar boys who came to work and got it done.

Call me crazy...

I know this is normally not a huge deal at other schools but due to the timing of this it is time for U of M to make a statement to the community in Missoula, the state of Montana, the Big Sky Conference, and the rest of the FCS - that this is a program that can continue to have success on and off the field. It is time for the bar to be raised again and cutting Quinn would be the first step. I don't care if the guy single handedly wins every game for us, I don't care if he is a great guy (which I am sure there is more to him than the media gives him credit for). But this is simply not the time to let something like this pass by.

Those of you fellow Montana fans who think this kind of thing is ok - think about this: had this happened at a school like MSU or any other school in the FCS, you would be calling for Quinn's dismissal too. I think any GOOD Griz fan wants to see the bar raised again, cut the baggage, and get to kickin ass this fall as well as retaining the dignity and pride that is so special about this program.

I agree DDG, but I also believe that Bobby honestly wouldn't tolerate this if it were truly a problem. We all know that he wants to step up to the next level and allowing issues to happen with an FCS team most certainly won't help him with FBS schools.

Bobby has always seemed to have a zero tolerance for misbehaving on his teams.

Could the fact that school is not in session be one of the reasons he has not been booted immediately?

laxVik
July 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Very true DuckDuck. Players like this leave schools for a reason and many are willing to take the chances on them (Rodney Woods and UO is a good example on the FBS level). And in the end if you're willing to take the chance you should prepare yourself for the bad as well. BUT as he's already been given one chance I don't think it bodes well for UM or the BSC to keep him. What signal does that send?

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 01:20 PM
I agree DDG, but I also believe that Bobby honestly wouldn't tolerate this if it were truly a problem. We all know that he wants to step up to the next level and allowing issues to happen with an FCS team most certainly won't help him with FBS schools.

Bobby has always seemed to have a zero tolerance for misbehaving on his teams.

Could the fact that school is not in session be one of the reasons he has not been booted immediately?

Yeah that could be. But was school in session when Washington got dismissed?

I posted a similar thread on eGriz- I just don't get how Washington can get cut for "not doing what I say" - none of us know the circumstances regarding it, but we all say it was a good move. Nevermind the fact that he wasn't a key aspect to the team.

Then comes Quinn - who has repeated open offenses before even setting foot on the field. We know the problem here but we all say "hey let's let this go, it's not that bad, we don't know exactly what happened." And he IS a perspective key aspect to the team.

The ship ain't sinkin, but if we let something liek this go at a time like this, who knows how much worse it will get.

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Very true DuckDuck. Players like this leave schools for a reason and many are willing to take the chances on them (Rodney Woods and UO is a good example on the FBS level). And in the end if you're willing to take the chance you should prepare yourself for the bad as well. BUT as he's already been given one chance I don't think it bodes well for UM or the BSC to keep him. What signal does that send?

As much as I hate to say it - UO (along with the rest of the FBS) is an example of off-the-field/recruiting problems that I DON'T want UM to see imitating. That's one of the biggest things FCS fans take pride in is the straight-laced, love of the game mentality many of the schools have.

I've seen some of the ***** that goes down in Eugene, Pullman, Seattle, Tempe, etc and something like this is pretty normal at a I-A school. But Montana is in unchartered waters.

laxVik
July 25th, 2007, 01:30 PM
As much as I hate to say it - UO (along with the rest of the FBS) is an example of off-the-field/recruiting problems that I DON'T want UM to see imitating. That's one of the biggest things FCS fans take pride in is the straight-laced, love of the game mentality many of the schools have.

I've seen some of the ***** that goes down in Eugene, Pullman, Seattle, Tempe, etc and something like this is pretty normal at a I-A school. But Montana is in unchartered waters.Well I'm not sure that's exactly true. The FCS seems to willingly take these players on (Bomar is another example this year). Heck the BSC has at times been full of them (I recall PSU getting a WR who was kicked off the Ducks for smoking da weed).

CopperCat
July 25th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Cellphones and driving kill people.....speed and driving kill people.....if it was about saving lives, the authorities would punish these acts in a manner consistent with DUI's. Let's be real, DUI's are a revenue generator, especially in college towns. The New Engalnd Journal of medicine has released studies showing that people talking on cell phones while driving have the same reaction times as people who are legally drunk. So forgive me if I don't crucify DUI's......they are no more selfish than cell phone drivers and speeders. They just get punished more severly than the other two while contributing no more statistically to highway deaths than the other two drivers.

Don't get me wrong, the guy placed himself in a precarious position for someone who has a checkered past, brought unfavorable press to the team, coaches and school and should be dealt with accordingly. IMO, a suspension is in order. You are punishing the person, but also leaving the support system intact. If you remove him from the team, you remove a support system that he may need to get over his issues.

Studies or not, DRIVING DRUNK IS STUPID. I say after your second DUI, you get your license revoked for a year at a minimum, especially in a state like MT where the state drink is Budweiser (unlike Rhody, where it is Coffee-Milk, which is a much better and tastier alternative). Talking on a phone and driving is stupid, yes, but driving drunk implies judgement that is severely lacking IMO. Talking on a phone while driving implies the same, but to a lesser degree. I understand what you are saying, but I think the severity of one is more than the other. This probably has some issues with alcohol, and the issues that come along with that problem go far beyond just DUI's.

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well I'm not sure that's exactly true. The FCS seems to willingly take these players on (Bomar is another example this year). Heck the BSC has at times been full of them (I recall PSU getting a WR who was kicked off the Ducks for smoking da weed).

Good point. But the big difference between FBS and FCS IMO has always been that something like this is seen as a big deal.

ncbears
July 25th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I have a personal problem with everyone who gets a DUI regardless if they're a football player or not. My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was only 2 years old. That murderer left my mother without a father and my sister and I without a father. I will never know my father because someone wasn't responsible enough to call a cab. It's not that hard to do. I've been in situations when I KNOW I couldn't drive and I've either had a DD drop me off home or called a cab.

I hope coach Hauck gets rid of this chump. If he doesn't, I won't have any respect for him.

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I have a personal problem with everyone who gets a DUI regardless if they're a football player or not. My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was only 2 years old. That murderer left my mother without a father and my sister and I without a father. I will never know my father because someone wasn't responsible enough to call a cab. It's not that hard to do. I've been in situations when I KNOW I couldn't drive and I've either had a DD drop me off home or called a cab.

I hope coach Hauck gets rid of this chump. If he doesn't, I won't have any respect for him.

I agree Hauck needs to let Quinn go. And I'm just as angry as you that this type of person who puts others at danger would be overlooked. But if he doesn't (which I'll be dissapointed), I sure hope you have disrespect for a ton of coaches who have done the same thing

(yes, including our beloved Joe Glenn).

ncbears
July 25th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I agree Hauck needs to let Quinn go. And I'm just as angry as you that this type of person who puts others at danger would be overlooked. But if he doesn't (which I'll be dissapointed), I sure hope you have disrespect for a ton of coaches who have done the same thing

(yes, including our beloved Joe Glenn).

I've lost a lot of respect for a lot of people in my life time.

youwouldno
July 25th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Also keep in mind Quinn's recent interview where he came off quite poorly. Now the DUI. The guy is sullying Montana's reputation without having played a down. Who knows what he'll do next. Cutting him is the right move both for the program and the team on the field.

And Montana fans should stop acting like all FCS programs have situations like this. As I noted previously, a number of FCS teams wouldn't have accepted Quinn to begin with, and the DUI would have finished him off many other places.

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Also keep in mind Quinn's recent interview where he came off quite poorly. Now the DUI. The guy is sullying Montana's reputation without having played a down. Who knows what he'll do next. Cutting him is the right move both for the program and the team on the field.

And Montana fans should stop acting like all FCS programs have situations like this. As I noted previously, a number of FCS teams wouldn't have accepted Quinn to begin with, and the DUI would have finished him off many other places.

That's what I have been saying. Montana needs to cut ties with this guy to preserve the dignity that Griz fans take pride in.

However, this kind of stuff DOES happen at other FCS schools. You can pick out something in the last 5 years on a player at ANY FCS school. The only reason Montana is receiving more attention in this situation is becuase of the off-the-field problems at MSU and the Jimmy Wilson murder.

Laserlips
July 25th, 2007, 02:22 PM
UMassfan,

There is simply no excuse for DUI.. None.. Young, old, college, whatever. DUI is unexcusable... Multiple DUI's simply show a pattern.. You and I both know he's probably done the same thing on other occasions. Just these times he got caught.

I'm not against social drinking, I AM against drinking and driving.. Get a designated driver, drink at home, whatever... Just don't get behind the equivalent of a 3000+ lb firearm when drinking.

If you DO, and get caught, there should be a severe penalty, and if the offense is repeated, the penalty should be increased in equal proportion.

J. Pomeroy

UMStudent
July 25th, 2007, 02:51 PM

look at you sitting so high and mighty or your computer chair. LISTEN TO ME I AM ALL WISE AND GREAT I SHALL REPLY TO EVERYONE BECAESE I AM SO JUST. Get a life. Same to goes to you BLueHen.

DuckDuckGriz
July 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
look at you sitting so high and mighty or your computer chair. LISTEN TO ME I AM ALL WISE AND GREAT I SHALL REPLY TO EVERYONE BECAESE I AM SO JUST. Get a life. Same to goes to you BLueHen.

Come on man. Look at this rationally and objectively. I know it's difficult.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 25th, 2007, 03:09 PM

This sums it up perfectly.

FargoBison
July 25th, 2007, 03:15 PM
I agree that Quinn should be cut. The guy is honestly lucky to have gotten a shot to play at a school like Montana after what happend at Oklahoma. You would think after that and his past trouble with drinking and the law he would be smarter but I guess not. You can only give a guy so many chances before you set a bad example to the rest of the team.

AZGrizFan
July 25th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Do you have facts to prove that other schools turned him down before he was accepted at UM? Or is that just a blind accusation to help you sleep better at night?

I'm willing to bet (evidence to the contrary), that just about ANY FCS school would have been pissin' all OVER themselves had J.D. Quinn walked up their driveway and registered for school. :) :) :)

putter
July 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
I didn't know 99% of all college kids get arrested for DUI TWICE and accept pay for work they never performed. Guess I was in the 1% minority. Yes kids make mistakes, but this qualifies as a pattern of behavior and there is zero evidence he learned from his past mistakes. Playing football in college on an athletic scholarship is a PRIVLEDGE and as such should be reserved for those student athletes that represent their school in a positive way. It amazes me how many fans are willing to rationalize or overlook dangerous (not to mention) criminal behavior in order to win football games. I hope Quinn gets his life together and gets his diploma, but IMO he has forfeited his privledge of playing college football.

MLBowl, you must have played DB in HS, cause that is some backpedal you have...xlolx

My point is this....I don't condone drinking and driving but I think most of my college classmates would have had multiple DUI's if they were picked up in college so I don't see a pattern here that is different than most other kids in college around the nation. Quinn has not shown to be able to make smart decisions given his position as a Montana Grizzly athlete and he needs to wake up before he squanders his second chance, maybe he will, maybe he won't.

Did you see my second paragraph? I said he is a time-bomb and his arrogance will continue to get in his way while at Montana or whereever.

AZGrizFan
July 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Maybe 99% of college kids don't get arrested twice for DUI, but it's a damned sure bet that 99% of college kids COULD get arrested twice for DUI. Actually, more like about 50 times. J.D. was just unlucky enough to actually get CAUGHT. People in glass houses should not throw stones, Tribe. So unless you've NEVER driven after having some beers, zip it.

SeattleGriz
July 25th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe 99% of college kids don't get arrested twice for DUI, but it's a damned sure bet that 99% of college kids COULD get arrested twice for DUI. Actually, more like about 50 times. J.D. was just unlucky enough to actually get CAUGHT. People in glass houses should not throw stones, Tribe. So unless you've NEVER driven after having some beers, zip it.

Exactly. When I went through my alcohol awareness class in Phoenix, a guy blew a .03 and still got a DUI.

You know how? Because when the cops asked him on a scale of 0 - 10, with 0 being completely sober, where was he when they pulled him over, he said a 1.

He said one because he felt since he had ONE beer, he couldn't say 0. Well that was all it took, he just admitted influence and it didn't matter the legal limit was .08 - he got the DUI.

Not that this is the case with Quinn, but to anyone who has had a single beer and drives, you could still be caught for a DUI.

Lionsrking
July 25th, 2007, 04:06 PM
People in glass houses should not throw stones, Tribe. So unless you've NEVER driven after having some beers, zip it.

Yeah, no big deal...just a few beers right? What were we thinking?

Grizalltheway
July 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
To UMStudent:

Please cease and desist with your knee-jerk, unreasoned and poorly written posts. You're giving the rest of AGS a terrible impression of UM students. If you have something intelligent and worthwhile to add to the discussion, please do so. If not, kindly stop embarrassing my school.

Sincerely,
Grizalltheway

patssle
July 25th, 2007, 04:36 PM
hey guess what, I am a collge student. How many DUIs have I had? NONE. Because I have self responsibility and don't use the illegal actions of others to justfiy something I could do.

But since others do it, that makes it a-ok. xrolleyesx

Hope you never kill somebody while DUI'ing, I'd hate to see what excuses you would make for that.

WMTribe90
July 25th, 2007, 04:53 PM
I guess in Grizland two wrongs make a right and you should always succumb to the lowest common denominator (i.e., its okay to drive drunk becuase Quinn isn't the first or last to do it). Kudos to those Griz fans that want to maintain some integrity. Maybe its time for UM to join the semi-pro ranks in the BCS, where the win at all cost mentality is more prevalent.

youwouldno
July 25th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Do you have facts to prove that other schools turned him down before he was accepted at UM? Or is that just a blind accusation to help you sleep better at night?

I'm willing to bet (evidence to the contrary), that just about ANY FCS school would have been pissin' all OVER themselves had J.D. Quinn walked up their driveway and registered for school. :) :) :)

That's the thing, I don't need to guess. Without even asking the AD or HC I am certain Furman would not have accepted him. To the best of my knowledge, Furman has not accepted a transfer with past disciplinary issues.

Likewise, I am pretty sure Wofford, App St, Richmond, W&M, and various other programs also would have rejected Quinn.

You just don't want to deal with the fact that Montana is sacrificing character in order to win. Wake up.

AZGrizFan
July 25th, 2007, 05:30 PM
hey guess what, I am a collge student. How many DUIs have I had? NONE. Because I have self responsibility and don't use the illegal actions of others to justfiy something I could do.

But since others do it, that makes it a-ok. xrolleyesx

Hope you never kill somebody while DUI'ing, I'd hate to see what excuses you would make for that.

I guess in Grizland two wrongs make a right and you should always succumb to the lowest common denominator (i.e., its okay to drive drunk becuase Quinn isn't the first or last to do it). Kudos to those Griz fans that want to maintain some integrity. Maybe its time for UM to join the semi-pro ranks in the BCS, where the win at all cost mentality is more prevalent.

patssle---so you're telling me you have NEVER gotten behind the wheel after a few beers? xeyebrowx xrolleyesx

Tribe---never once did I say I condoned his behavior, and never once did I say I didn't want him off the team....I just think it's a TAD hypocritical for us to be casting stones when probably 99% of us have done exactly what he did, just were lucky enough not to get caught.

You two need to get off your holier-than-thou kicks. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

AZGrizFan
July 25th, 2007, 05:31 PM
That's the thing, I don't need to guess. Without even asking the AD or HC I am certain Furman would not have accepted him. To the best of my knowledge, Furman has not accepted a transfer with past disciplinary issues.

Likewise, I am pretty sure Wofford, App St, Richmond, W&M, and various other programs also would have rejected Quinn.

You just don't want to deal with the fact that Montana is sacrificing character in order to win. Wake up.

Now you're a *****ing mindreader? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

See my post directly above.

patssle
July 25th, 2007, 05:52 PM
patssle---so you're telling me you have NEVER gotten behind the wheel after a few beers?

NEVER.

I just think it's a TAD hypocritical for us to be casting stones when probably 99% of us have done exactly what he did, just were lucky enough not to get caught

guess what, he's been caught MORE THAN ONCE. So obviously he has a problem.

AZGrizFan
July 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
NEVER.

When do you turn 14?

T-Dog
July 25th, 2007, 05:59 PM
When do you turn 14?

Hey, I've never gotten behind the wheel after drinking and I'm 20.

Believe it or not, there's a sizable portion of college students who don't drink, myself included. The 99% you've stated that have driven drunk many times is too big a generalization. I know tons of people who don't even drink much less drive drunk.

A good portion of college students do think ahead and aren't stupid enough to drive drunk. I'll say 50% of college students have driven drunk once and less a number have driven drunk many times.

If 99% is an accurate number for you and what you've seen, that's not right. You've got a problem there. Although I doubt it.

Hansel
July 25th, 2007, 06:19 PM

I am guessing they would be crapping themselves in terror if they saw him driving up their driveway

multiple(?) DUIs + getting paid for a job he didn't do

what has this guy done to be offerred a third or fourth chance (other than being good at football)

youwouldno
July 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Now you're a *****ing mindreader? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

See my post directly above.

Like I said, I don't need to be a mindreader. In fact, that's what integrity is all about. We can't read the minds of others. But when someone has integrity, you don't need to read their mind.

Because some football programs have integrity, they wouldn't accept a guy like Quinn. The fact you don't understand that says more about you than anything.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Ah...the "DUI" hysteria fostered by those nuts at MADD strikes again.

GreatAppSt
July 25th, 2007, 06:47 PM

There is no comparison. You may be impaired on the phone I agree, but most drivers are not on a cell from the time they turn the key until they take the key out. If your drunk you're impaired the entire time your behind the wheel.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2007, 07:00 PM
There is no comparison. You may be impaired on the phone I agree, but most drivers are not on a cell from the time they turn the key until they take the key out. If your drunk you're impaired the entire time your behind the wheel.

You are much more likely to be killed by a "sober" driver than by a "drunk" driver. Considering your risk of death on a day by day basis, your risk of being killed by a drunk driver is very small. Succeeding in ensuring that nobody who has ingested any alchohol at all during the previous 24 hours drives would not notably change your risk of dying on any particular day.

Another thing: The term "drunk" is thrown around a lot. For a lot of people, a 0.08 blood alcohol level is not what any reasonable person would call "drunk."

The "drunk driving" thing is one of those areas in which public health and safety zealots have created an exaggerated impression. I realize that's an unpopular thing to say, but I think it's the truth so I'm saying it.

laxVik
July 25th, 2007, 07:03 PM
xnonono2x

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2007, 07:27 PM

There is a comparison because the idea is that if you represent more of a risk than you otherwise would government is justified in making a criminal out of you.

Someone driving with a 0.09 percent blood alcohol level is probably more of a risk than they would be if they were driving with a 0.00 percent level. But, depending on who they are, they also may represent less of a risk than some other people who have no alcohol in their system.

You can't legitimately say that person A represents more of a risk in driving at a given time than person B does because person A has a 0.09 level and person B does not. There are undoubtably people who have driven numerous times with blood alcohol levels above the current legal limit who have never caused a problem for anyone and there are people who have never done it who have killed people due to irresponsible driving.

The idea that someone is necessarily endangering others more than all of the "sober" drivers around them because they have a blood alcohol level greater than 0.08 is false.

In fact, I'm very confident that there are people who have driven repeatedly with blood alcohol levels greater than 0.08 during their lifetimes that have better than average driving records. I say that because I think I'm one of them. I have absolutely no doubt that during my younger days I drove with blood alc levels higher than that MANY times. Heck, it was probably every time I went out.

I have two tickets in my life. I've been in two accidents (once my fault about 30 years ago, one 10 - 15 years ago that wasn't my fault). In all cases in which there were any adverse consequences associated with my driving, I was completely sober.

That doesn't mean I think being sober "caused" adverse consequences. I'm just saying that the "drunk" driving thing has become a witch hunt.

mvemjsunpx
July 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
NAU has cut players for single DUI's. A program with class will not tolerate that type of behavior.

This is funny coming from an NAU fan.

Remember when your men's basketball team had 2 convicted felons on it?
(one was Anthony Garnett, I forget the other's name).

For the record, I think Quinn should be suspended indefinitely & booted if found guilty or reinstated if acquitted.
If he had pled guilty, I would advocate a 1 year suspension.

patssle
July 25th, 2007, 07:38 PM
I'm just saying that the "drunk" driving thing has become a witch hunt.

I got an AWESOME idea. Don't do it, then there's nobody to hunt!!

Novel concept eh?

matboz
July 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I agree with this ... but at the same time ... if you ran into a scenario where you had to respond quickly you may have a delayed reaction time and you may have had a problem ...

It didn't happen ... and we can be glad about this ... I'm in the same boat so I'm not judging you ... but at the same time you can admit you are a better sober driver then you are after drinking ...

AZGrizFan
July 25th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Like I said, I don't need to be a mindreader. In fact, that's what integrity is all about. We can't read the minds of others. But when someone has integrity, you don't need to read their mind.

Because some football programs have integrity, they wouldn't accept a guy like Quinn. The fact you don't understand that says more about you than anything.

It doesn't say **** about me. But it screams VOLUMES about your naivete. Guaranteed if Quinn had come callin' to any SoCon school, they'd have creamed themselves signing him up.

Besides, you're missing my point entirely (although that's not entirely unexpected): I'll reiterate it for you:

Unless.....you......have.....NEVER.....driven..... under......the...... influence.......don't.......be........a........hyp ocrite.

It really is that simple. It has nothing to do with whether UM should or should not have signed Quinn. Nor whether they should or should not cut him at this point.

JohnStOnge
July 25th, 2007, 07:57 PM

Novel concept eh?

That outlook applies to any liberty government may choose to take from you. Like, if I say that you driving at all represents a risk to others, I'll be accurate. So I could say that you shouldn't be allowed to drive at all unless there's a really good reason for it. I could say that you shouldn't be allowed to drive unless it's for a "government approved" purpose. I could say that, for sure, you shouldn't be allowed to drive just to do something you find enjoyable.

Why should you be allowed to put others at risk just for the purpose of enjoying yourself?

I have no doubt that if we had some way of determining the number of traffic deaths (about 2/3 of which are not "related" to "drunk driving), I'd find plenty that are associated with people driving for "non essential" purposes. Lives could have been saved if only people hadn't been allowed to drive just for the purpose of fun.

So if they were to someday make a law that you can only drive for government approved purposes...we can dismiss that by saying that if nobody does it there will be nobody to hunt. No problem!

By the way, the reason I have the "related" in quotes is because the stats everybody hears on alcohol "related" traffic deaths are almost certainly exaggerated.

SeattleGriz
July 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM

Novel concept eh?

As long as were going for it. How about everyone who takes a mind altering prescription? They seem to get a free pass. Have you checked to see about your parents, or your grandparents? Hell, how about you?

james_lawfirm
July 25th, 2007, 08:31 PM
There is a comparison because the idea is that if you represent more of a risk than you otherwise would government is justified in making a criminal out of you.

Someone driving with a 0.09 percent blood alcohol level is probably more of a risk than they would be if they were driving with a 0.00 percent level. But, depending on who they are, they also may represent less of a risk than some other people who have no alcohol in their system.

You can't legitimately say that person A represents more of a risk in driving at a given time than person B does because person A has a 0.09 level and person B does not. There are undoubtably people who have driven numerous times with blood alcohol levels above the current legal limit who have never caused a problem for anyone and there are people who have never done it who have killed people due to irresponsible driving.

The idea that someone is necessarily endangering others more than all of the "sober" drivers around them because they have a blood alcohol level greater than 0.08 is false.

In fact, I'm very confident that there are people who have driven repeatedly with blood alcohol levels greater than 0.08 during their lifetimes that have better than average driving records. I say that because I think I'm one of them. I have absolutely no doubt that during my younger days I drove with blood alc levels higher than that MANY times. Heck, it was probably every time I went out.

I have two tickets in my life. I've been in two accidents (once my fault about 30 years ago, one 10 - 15 years ago that wasn't my fault). In all cases in which there were any adverse consequences associated with my driving, I was completely sober.

That doesn't mean I think being sober "caused" adverse consequences. I'm just saying that the "drunk" driving thing has become a witch hunt.

John:

Say what? That is the goofiest argument I have ever heard. Statistics show year after year after year that drunk drivers kill too many people. And, what really burns everyone even remotely involved in such an accident are those drunk drivers who do it more than once. This is one "witch hunt" (your words) that I approve of.

All I can suggest is that if you ever visit the good state of N.C. (like Boone for instance) don't be drinking and driving. We have a real low tolerance for such stuff & you won't like the penalties. In NC, the law assumes that you are impaired w/ a blood alcohol content of .08. You can drink all you want or drive all you want. Just don't do both at the same time. Simple enough.

james_lawfirm
July 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
This thread needs to be taken out back & shot. (John, I did not say given a shot. I said shot.)

GreatAppSt
July 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM
It doesn't say **** about me. But it screams VOLUMES about your naivete. Guaranteed if Quinn had come callin' to any SoCon school, they'd have creamed themselves signing him up.

You keep saying this but your statement is simply not true. JM does not take any tranfer unless they are eligable to return to the school and team they are coming from. Quinn is not welcome back at OU, ie he would never make it to App. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx And I like it that way. I don't think Cid, Furmy, Wuuf, or the Elonkers would have opened up either.

SeattleGriz
July 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM
You keep saying this but your statement is simply not true. JM does not take any tranfer unless they are eligable to return to the school and team they are coming from. Quinn is not welcome back at OU, ie he would never make it to App. xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx And I like it that way. I don't think Cid, Furmy, Wuuf, or the Elonkers would have opened up either.

That is called speculation. Unless Jerry Moore turned him down, we will never know. Do you really think Quinn came to Missoula, walked in and said, "Im here! When do I start?"

You can bet he was on his best behavior when he first came to Missoula and I am sure he professed to have learned his lesson.

YoUDeeMan
July 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Besides, you're missing my point entirely (although that's not entirely unexpected): I'll reiterate it for you:

Unless.....you......have.....NEVER.....driven..... under......the...... influence.......don't.......be........a........hyp ocrite.

It really is that simple. It has nothing to do with whether UM should or should not have signed Quinn. Nor whether they should or should not cut him at this point.

UD got rid of an assistant football coach last year who had a second DUI. We also, in a highly publicized move, retracted an offer last year for a new men's head basketball coach because of his DUI.

Although we've had a few recent issues with player behavior (they were kicked off the team and they had clean slates before they came here), UD's recent history indicates that we would not have taken any player that had Quinn's issues. xtwocentsx

Oh, and just because some of us may have gotten away with driving under the influence doesn't make it excusable and it doesn't mean that we can't/shouldn't think that there should be consequences for such stupid actions.
xeyebrowx

youwouldno
July 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM

I've done things that, had I been caught, would have gotten me kicked off Furman's team. Guess what... I wasn't a football player.

Quinn gets a free education to play football. And he is such a loser he might blow that opportunity-- twice.

The fact is, some programs have higher standards for transfers. Not all SoCon programs do, but several certainly do. It's not my opinion. It's a fact. Just one you don't like, because it exposes how Montana seeks a competitive advantage at the expense of ethics.

YoUDeeMan
July 25th, 2007, 10:43 PM
You are much more likely to be killed by a "sober" driver than by a "drunk" driver.

C'mon, John, that is a ridiculous manipulation of stats.

You are also more likely to have more hours in a weekend than you have on a Tuesday. xoopsx

GreatAppSt
July 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM
That is called speculation. Unless Jerry Moore turned him down, we will never know. Do you really think Quinn came to Missoula, walked in and said, "Im here! When do I start?"

You can bet he was on his best behavior when he first came to Missoula and I am sure he professed to have learned his lesson.

What part of "JM does not take any transfer unless they are eligable to return to the school and team they are coming from." Do you not understand I know this first hand, and have known this for ten+ years. xnodx

SeattleGriz
July 25th, 2007, 11:25 PM
What part of "JM does not take any transfer unless they are eligable to return to the school and team they are coming from." Do you not understand I know this first hand, and have known this for ten+ years. xnodx

I understand it perfectly. It is still speculation.

GreatAppSt
July 25th, 2007, 11:47 PM

If calling it speculation helps ya dream better about the Griz tonight cool. Tuck it into you pillow and dream that evey school in the SoCon would have taken Mr. Quinn in. Some people still think the world is flat and the Moon is indeed cheese. I'll not be one to stand in the way of your beliefs. xthumbsupx

youwouldno
July 26th, 2007, 12:49 AM

Every time I throw a ball up in the air, it falls back down. The next time I throw one up, I think I will "speculate" that it will fall back down.

You error is confusing a non-event for a lack of evidence. If someone drives a car for many years without an accident, the lack of accidents actually constitutes evidence that the person is a safe driver.

Likewise, Furman for one does not accept transfers with disciplinary problems. Your argument is that, since it has not happened, it is pure speculation that it could not happen.

You, however, are just confused. The absence of such transfers, prima facie, supports the "speculation" that Quinn would be denied entry at various institutions.

It's unfortunate that some Griz fans are so happy with their apparently low-character program that they can't even consider what an ethical program is like.

Zoo
July 26th, 2007, 12:55 AM

Nor will it be his last. xlolx

BDKJMU
July 26th, 2007, 01:03 AM
Apparently, Quinn didn't start for the Sooners last year like some on here have stated.

"Eight starters are back on offense — all but Peterson, receiver-turned-quarterback Paul Thompson and tackle Chris Messner."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2007-07-23-Oklahoma-preview_N.htm?csp=34

BDKJMU
July 26th, 2007, 01:19 AM

Well, according to USA Today he didn't start for the Sooners last year like some on here have stated.

"Eight starters are back on offense — all but Peterson, receiver-turned-quarterback Paul Thompson and tackle Chris Messner."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/big12/2007-07-23-Oklahoma-preview_N.htm?csp=34

xcoffeex

GrizzlyEdd
July 26th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Well boys and girls, it is very clear that we need the football season to start. Personally I am just as upset about all the happenings at both Montana Universities as anyone on this board.... BUT.... what is even worse than waking up to another "headline" in the paper is reading all the self righteous, pompous, and idiotic posts on this subject that go on and on. xdeadhorsex

There are over 180 other U of M and MSU student athletes in the football programs who are decent (as any 18 to 22yr old can be in college), law abiding (ditto, and oh by the way, HE WHO HAS NOT SINNED, CAST THE FIRST STONE), and excellent young men. Somewhere some of you have lost sight of this and need to bash and belittle a whole State, two excellent Universities, and over 25,000 hardworking students.

I for one am embarrassed and somewhat ashamed of what has transpired but I do not need people on here rubbing my nose in all this and then having them turn around with all kinds of righteous indignation and say how wonderful they are and haven't they done an awesome thing by berating a whole state and everyone in it.

As posted earlier by others, people who live in glass houses..... we all do... don't get so high and mighty, this kind of stuff can happen at any University and the next time it could be YOURS....

So, lets get on with productive interchange of ideas about our beloved BCS and send all the trash to the smack board.... You are ALL better than this...xnodxxtwocentsx

mvemjsunpx
July 26th, 2007, 02:18 AM
Well, according to USA Today he didn't start for the Sooners last year like some on here have stated.

xcoffeex

Um… He didn't even suit up for the Sooners last year, because he was already at Montana.

SeattleGriz
July 26th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Every time I throw a ball up in the air, it falls back down. The next time I throw one up, I think I will "speculate" that it will fall back down.

You error is confusing a non-event for a lack of evidence. If someone drives a car for many years without an accident, the lack of accidents actually constitutes evidence that the person is a safe driver.

Likewise, Furman for one does not accept transfers with disciplinary problems. Your argument is that, since it has not happened, it is pure speculation that it could not happen.

You, however, are just confused. The absence of such transfers, prima facie, supports the "speculation" that Quinn would be denied entry at various institutions.

It's unfortunate that some Griz fans are so happy with their apparently low-character program that they can't even consider what an ethical program is like.

More speculation.

Heres the definition to help you out:

spec·u·la·tion (spěk'yə-lā'shən) Pronunciation Key
n.

Contemplation or consideration of a subject; meditation.
A conclusion, opinion, or theory reached by conjecture.
Reasoning based on inconclusive evidence; conjecture or supposition.
Engagement in risky business transactions on the chance of quick or considerable profit.
A commercial or financial transaction involving speculation.

Engagement in risky business transactions on the chance of quick or considerable profit.
A commercial or financial transaction involving speculation.

My point is plain a simple. If you are not the current coach of either App State, or in your case Furman, then you are speculating when you are speaking for the coach.

Get off your high horse!

Old Montana State Grad
July 26th, 2007, 04:17 AM
More speculation.

Heres the definition to help you out:

My point is plain a simple. If you are not the current coach of either App State, or in your case Furman, then you are speculating when you are speaking for the coach.

Get off your high horse!

Gosh:o I don't know how to tell you this, but you're talking to a Baptist School Graduate, in all probability. I sat in your section in 2001 (I think it was when Louis Ivory was on a knee that would not pass the NFL examines and half the offense was out because of injuries) and you beat them something like 13-6. My little man got to hear the "fans" yelling these comments: "Jesus Christ, ref, get your fu--ing head out of your god damn ass." "You stupid son of bitch, what the hell kind of a call is that?" "You coached that quarterback? That dumb **** has to be the most fundamentally ****ed up quarterback I've ever seen!"

Sidebar: I never said I coached Billy Napier, just that I was part of his dad's staff. For what it's worth, Billy is now Clemson's, guess what! Quarterback's coachxsmiley_wix

My take on all of this crap? Kids are still acting as if it's the Montana of yesterday, but the law enforcement is now treating an assault as an assault versus a bar room fight, as when I was a kid, for example. The population growth in Bozeman, for example, is something no law enforcement agency can possibly keep up with. The hundreds of kids floating the Jefferson and Madison Rivers every day has spread all over the state.

What are you trying to say: This is still the 1950s Montana? We're civililized nowxnonox

BDKJMU
July 26th, 2007, 06:25 AM
Um… He didn't even suit up for the Sooners last year, because he was already at Montana.

Did he play last year?

Grizalltheway
July 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Gosh:o I don't know how to tell you this, but you're talking to a Baptist School Graduate, in all probability. I sat in your section in 2001 (I think it was when Louis Ivory was on a knee that would not pass the NFL examines and half the offense was out because of injuries) and you beat them something like 13-6. My little man got to hear the "fans" yelling these comments: "Jesus Christ, ref, get your fu--ing head out of your god damn ass." "You stupid son of bitch, what the hell kind of a call is that?" "You coached that quarterback? That dumb **** has to be the most fundamentally ****ed up quarterback I've ever seen!"

Sidebar: I never said I coached Billy Napier, just that I was part of his dad's staff. For what it's worth, Billy is now Clemson's, guess what! Quarterback's coachxsmiley_wix

My take on all of this crap? Kids are still acting as if it's the Montana of yesterday, but the law enforcement is now treating an assault as an assault versus a bar room fight, as when I was a kid, for example. The population growth in Bozeman, for example, is something no law enforcement agency can possibly keep up with. The hundreds of kids floating the Jefferson and Madison Rivers every day has spread all over the state.

What are you trying to say: This is still the 1950s Montana? We're civililized nowxnonox

http://gallery.ksilebo.com/d/5027-2/1143439398189.jpg

Bobcat in NC
July 26th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Did he play last year?

No. Last year was his suspension year.

WMTribe90
July 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Jimmye Laycock has not taken a transfer in his 26 years as head coach at WM, who was kicked out of another school or even left on their own due to disciplinary reasons. No way in hell would Quinn have been brought on at WM. Twenty-six years of consistency is not speculation, deal with it. There are lots of schools that would not have taken Quinn, the Ivies, the Patriot League, Furman, Wofford, etc....

The question isn't whether kids will make mistakes. I did stipid stuff when I was in college and there were consequences for my actions. The consequences for Quinns second DUI on top of his serious NCAA violation should be the end of his football career at Montana. Anthing less sends the message that if your good enough at football than laws and rules don't really apply to you. I hope he gets his life together and gets his diploma, at UM or elsewhere, but playing football on scholarship is a privledge and his should be revoked.

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Studies or not, DRIVING DRUNK IS STUPID. I say after your second DUI, you get your license revoked for a year at a minimum, especially in a state like MT where the state drink is Budweiser (unlike Rhody, where it is Coffee-Milk, which is a much better and tastier alternative). Talking on a phone and driving is stupid, yes, but driving drunk implies judgement that is severely lacking IMO. Talking on a phone while driving implies the same, but to a lesser degree. I understand what you are saying, but I think the severity of one is more than the other. This probably has some issues with alcohol, and the issues that come along with that problem go far beyond just DUI's.

If both outcomes end in death, how can the severity be different? I would disagree about the cell phone vs drunk driving as well. Speaking from experience, and I imagine other people could relate, I have made decisions in an inebriated state that I would NEVER made in a sober frame of mind (I forget her name....xrolleyesx ) So why are people amazed that poor decisions were made by a drunk driver.....not excusing the act, just trying to expose a misperception. Conversely, someone speaking on a cell phone while driving sober is making a poor decison in a sober frame of mind....which leads me to believe their overall decision-making skills should be questioned. I'll even go so far as to state this: the sober driver talking on the cell phone during rush hour traffic should be held accountable to the same or higher degree than the driver in an altered state of mind late at night......the cell phone driver made a consciense, sober decision that is placing more persons in harms way. xthumbsupx

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 09:46 AM

Next time you pull up to a stoplight, take a look around......I notice quite a few people on cell phones the majority of the time. But, I cannot offer proof.....however, I'm sure the cell phone drivers always make sure they are talking on phones during those times that quick reactions will not be needed........

I do agree there is no comparison.....cell phone drivers are a lot bigger problem in this society than drunk drivers.

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Thank you!

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 10:47 AM
A DUI is an awful thing that 99% of Griz fans are pissed about.

But again,

There would not be 14 pages on JD Quinn getting arrested, or anything much about JD Quinn had Gatewood not been caught at Montana State, or had Jimmy Wilson not shot someone for whatever reason in California.

We know it's the offseason folks and if the witch-hunt on the "character of the Montana schools" is what is getting you to pass your time......well, I'd suggest looking up porn at this point because it's probably the only thing that would match the satisfaction that many of you are obviously receiving.

AZGrizFan
July 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I've done things that, had I been caught, would have gotten me kicked off Furman's team. Guess what... I wasn't a football player.

Quinn gets a free education to play football. And he is such a loser he might blow that opportunity-- twice.

The fact is, some programs have higher standards for transfers. Not all SoCon programs do, but several certainly do. It's not my opinion. It's a fact. Just one you don't like, because it exposes how Montana seeks a competitive advantage at the expense of ethics.

Well, I'll sleep better tonight knowing that most SoCon programs are only recruiting choir boys. I'll say it again, for those who are a little slow: this isn't about whether or not Quinn should remain on the team, it's about being a hypocrite by chastising him for getting caught at something the vast majority of college students have done more than once. Is he dumb? Hell yes. Should he go? Probably. Am I going to pass judgement on him. ***** no. xcoffeex xcoffeex xcoffeex

WMTribe90
July 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
The vast majority of college students have driven drunk more than once?? Can I see a source on that factoid. Talk about speculation. Either way, since when do two wrongs make a right?? Because other students drive drunk, its okay for Quinn to drive drunk?? There should be serious consequences in both cases. And the consequence for two DUI's plus serious NCAA violations should be forfeiting the privledge of playing college football. I hope UM does the right thing and sends the right message to the other 90 guys on the team that are probably great kids that manage to stay out of trouble. I'm outta here.

patssle
July 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
There would not be 14 pages on JD Quinn getting arrested

I think most of it is arguing on if a DUI is good, bad, or who-cares with people trying to justifity it by different means and yadada xlolx xcoolx

laxVik
July 26th, 2007, 11:00 AM
A DUI is an awful thing that 99% of Griz fans are pissed about.

But again,

There would not be 14 pages on JD Quinn getting arrested, or anything much about JD Quinn had Gatewood not been caught at Montana State, or had Jimmy Wilson not shot someone for whatever reason in California.

We know it's the offseason folks and if the witch-hunt on the "character of the Montana schools" is what is getting you to pass your time......well, I'd suggest looking up porn at this point because it's probably the only thing that would match the satisfaction that many of you are obviously receiving.xrolleyesx

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM
xrolleyesx

Sorry laxVik, did that one hit too close to home for you?

AZGrizFan
The vast majority of college students have driven drunk more than once?? Can I see a source on that factoid. Talk about speculation. Either way, since when do two wrongs make a right?? Because other students drive drunk, its okay for Quinn to drive drunk?? There should be serious consequences in both cases. And the consequence for two DUI's plus serious NCAA violations should be forfeiting the privledge of playing college football. I hope UM does the right thing and sends the right message to the other 90 guys on the team that are probably great kids that manage to stay out of trouble. I'm outta here.

Not to go all "ralph" on you, but I never once said two wrongs make a right, and I never said it was okay for Quinn to drive drunk....stop putting words into my mouth and read slower or something. Take a comprehension class, whatever. I'm simply not passing judgement on him for doing something that I was immature enough to do at one point in my life.

See, Tribe, it REALLY is that simple! xrolleyesx

DuckDuckGriz
I think most of it is arguing on if a DUI is good, bad, or who-cares with people trying to justifity it by different means and yadada xlolx xcoolx

True. Should have probably started a new thread

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
True. Should have probably started a new thread

Yes, I apologize for my role in hijacking the thread.

And, to clarify, I don't think DUI's should be excused. I am merely trying to point out the inconsistencies between society and authorities perception of DUI's and how they are punished.....if safety is the utmost concern, then let's punish all distractions to driving with equal vigor....cell phones, smoking, radio/cd changing, crying babies in the back seat....they all contribute to highway deaths. xpeacex

And, thanks Mr. C for the negative rep points while not making a valid contribution to either side or argument....shows maturity and class beyond your years...

xgiveadamnx

laxVik
July 26th, 2007, 11:29 AM
Sorry laxVik, did that one hit too close to home for you?There's attention on your program for a reason, aimgo. Simple. You're whining at this point.

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:31 AM
There's attention on your program for a reason, aimgo. Simple. You're whining at this point.

I'm not complaining over the attention, but the attacks that Montana is suddenly a school that has low standards and sacrifices anything over a winning record. Which has all come pretty quick since this happened.

a-m-i-g-o

;)

laxVik
July 26th, 2007, 11:34 AM
I'm not complaining over the attention, but the attacks that Montana is suddenly a school that has low standards and sacrifices anything over a winning record. Which has all come pretty quick since this happened.

a-m-i-g-o

;)Well then deal with it, duckie. It'll pass. But you're in the limelight now. Telling people not to talk about it or point fingers is really ridiculous. And comes off as whining

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Well then deal with it, duckie. It'll pass. But you're in the limelight now. Telling people not to talk about it or point fingers is really ridiculous. And comes off as whining

Like I care how it comes off. We've been in the limelight before as a successful team on and off-the-field, which is exactly my point, suddenly we're Thug U now after 2 events.

laxVik
July 26th, 2007, 11:38 AM
Like I care how it comes off. We've been in the limelight before as a successful team on and off-the-field, which is exactly my point, suddenly we're Thug U now after 2 events.
Keep on posting. You're making my point...

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Keep on posting. You're making my point...

Not whining. Just confused.

Col Hogan
July 26th, 2007, 11:58 AM

a-m-i-g-o

;)

Duck, lots of Griz fans who have posted in this thread, and most non-Griz fans, have expressed basically the same desire that you have...one that the Griz cut ties with someone who has basically racked up his THIRD strike...

It's the few posters who express this kind of attitude...

What can I say we like to socialize. Yeah Montanas' integrity is affected by this incident, and by his past. To tell you the truth though, we like to WIN and this guy is filling in a key position on our o-line. He also comes from a school that runs the ball. We have a fleet of outstanding running backs this year, and this guy has the potential to take a lot of preasure off their backs. This isn't pro football, these guys are young they make mistakes its called growing up. This guy has already been made an example of for the BCS, I don't think this is worthy of him being cut.

that brings standards into question...(and note, I did not bold win, the original poster did)

I know, it was a student who expressed that sentiment...not the administration, or coach...

And lots of sports fans have this uncanny ability to see the "bad" in the other guys player, but never in ours (see "SF Giants fans and Barry Bonds")

Speaking for myself only, those who are blind to reality are the one's I like to ping on...not your institution, which I respect...

Now, let's see what action that institution elects to take...xreadx

putter
July 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM

Are you kidding me? Did you attend a college and actually leave your room? It happens every weekend on every campus in the United States! No one is saying it was smart or OK to do that but he is being slammed as if he did something that does not happen every week throughout the US.

I agree with, you by the way, that Quinn is burning his bridges given the fact that he is on his second life at UM but who knows what will be done. I am sure some will be disappointed.

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 12:26 PM
JD Quinn is a coward that blew his chance. He will not play this next year. That is it. We have all but one of our offensive lineman returning from last year at a near average weight of 300 lbs. If that is not good enough, I don't know what is. JD Quinn should not play, and I think Hauck will realize that...maybe.xnonox

AZGrizFan
July 26th, 2007, 12:46 PM
Are you kidding me? Did you attend a college and actually leave your room? It happens every weekend on every campus in the United States! No one is saying it was smart or OK to do that but he is being slammed as if he did something that does not happen every week throughout the US.

I agree with, you by the way, that Quinn is burning his bridges given the fact that he is on his second life at UM but who knows what will be done. I am sure some will be disappointed.

They're all choir boys, putter. Virgin choir boys. xcoolx xrolleyesx

Bison77
July 26th, 2007, 01:26 PM
John:

Say what? That is the goofiest argument I have ever heard. Statistics show year after year after year that drunk drivers kill too many people. And, what really burns everyone even remotely involved in such an accident are those drunk drivers who do it more than once. This is one "witch hunt" (your words) that I approve of.

All I can suggest is that if you ever visit the good state of N.C. (like Boone for instance) don't be drinking and driving. We have a real low tolerance for such stuff & you won't like the penalties. In NC, the law assumes that you are impaired w/ a blood alcohol content of .08. You can drink all you want or drive all you want. Just don't do both at the same time. Simple enough.

James:

All he was saying is that some people can be stone cold sober and be a worst driver than someone with a high tolerance for alcohol. The .08 is a stupid test to see if someone is impaired. It lumps everyone as having the same abilities of driving with alcohol in their blood. Don't get me wrong I don't know of a better one. But if they had an agility test that was worked for drunk driving I'm sure alot of people that were sober couldn't pass it. Then what?

patssle
July 26th, 2007, 01:35 PM
he is being slammed as if he did something that does not happen every week throughout the US.

I am slamming him for what he did. I really don't care if you do it or George Bush does it. This is about what Quinn did.

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM
James:

All he was saying is that some people can be stone cold sober and be a worst driver than someone with a high tolerance for alcohol. The .08 is a stupid test to see if someone is impaired. It lumps everyone as having the same abilities of driving with alcohol in their blood. Don't get me wrong I don't know of a better one. But if they had an agility test that was worked for drunk driving I'm sure alot of people that were sober couldn't pass it. Then what?

I agree....the .08 threshold is an idiotic, knee-jerk reaction to this problem. It assumes that everyone's body reacts the same and processes alcohol the same....it's an arbitrary number that does not take into account body weight, general health, sex, etc. Assuming .08 level impairs all at same rate is to assume that the same two beers that got you drunk in high school now have the same effect on you in your thirties.....

Also, drunk driving does kill and should be outlawed....as well as all other activities that distract a driver and cause accidents. If safety was the top priority, then excessive speeders would be prosecuted with the same diligence as DUI's as speeding is the top cause of highway accidents. As MADD says...."if it only saves one life......"

I Bleed Purple
July 26th, 2007, 02:26 PM
I agree....the .08 threshold is an idiotic, knee-jerk reaction to this problem. It assumes that everyone's body reacts the same and processes alcohol the same....it's an arbitrary number that does not take into account body weight, general health, sex, etc. Assuming .08 level impairs all at same rate is to assume that the same two beers that got you drunk in high school now have the same effect on you in your thirties.....

The speed limit threshold is an idiotic, knee-jerk reaction to this problem. It assumes everyone reacts the same and processes a vehicle's speed the same. It's an arbitrary number that doesn't take into account vehicle weight, body condition, brakes, etc. Assuming driving at 65 impairs all at same rate is to assume that the same 65 speed limit you drove in high school have the same effect on you in your thirties...

putter
July 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I am slamming him for what he did. I really don't care if you do it or George Bush does it. This is about what Quinn did.

I realize that and I have slammed him also for doing it and putting more pressure on the program but there were posters that are sounding like he is the only college kid who has acted like this.

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 02:36 PM
The speed limit threshold is an idiotic, knee-jerk reaction to this problem. It assumes everyone reacts the same and processes a vehicle's speed the same. It's an arbitrary number that doesn't take into account vehicle weight, body condition, brakes, etc. Assuming driving at 65 impairs all at same rate is to assume that the same 65 speed limit you drove in high school have the same effect on you in your thirties...

My point exactly....xthumbsupx

mvemjsunpx
July 26th, 2007, 03:48 PM

You're wrong.

The BAC does take individual reactions into account & it does take body weight, gender, etc. into account. It measures the percentage of alcohol in the blood stream, NOT the amount you have drunk. If you are heavier, it will take more drinking to acheive a .08 BAC. The only area where the BAC becomes inaccurate is for people with severely high tolerances, but most of those people are probably alcoholics & more likely to drive truly drunk anyway.

This wikipedia page has some nice tables:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_Alcohol_Content

Appaholic
July 26th, 2007, 04:06 PM
You're wrong.

The BAC does take individual reactions into account & it does take body weight, gender, etc. into account. It measures the percentage of alcohol in the blood stream, NOT the amount you have drunk. If you are heavier, it will take more drinking to acheive a .08 BAC. The only area where the BAC becomes inaccurate is for people with severely high tolerances, but most of those people are probably alcoholics & more likely to drive truly drunk anyway.

Your right.....I am wrong in the earlier statement. I made a generalized (and uneducated) statement regarding BAC. After reading your link, I am obviously relating BAC to impairment levels. I concede that BAC is an accurate measure of alcohol ingestion. However, I still believe it is not an accurate measure of impairment, and therefore, is not an accurate measure to prosecute so severly. But, hey, my opinion on this matter and $.50 might get you a cup of coffee. Thanks for the correction before I dug myself an even deeper hole. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
July 26th, 2007, 04:36 PM
You're wrong.

No, YOU'RE WRONG.

Sorry, just wanted to say that. :o :o :o :D

BDKJMU
July 26th, 2007, 06:38 PM

I don't think a majority of college have driven legally intoxicated (over .08) more than once. I think though its a significant minority, 30-40%. Nothing scientific to base my hunch on. I'd like to see results of some studies done on that. Of course, it'd be impossible to know what percentage it was, unless a large group of students (in the thousands at numerous colleges & universities took breathalizers every time they got behind the wheel within 12 hrs of drinking anything alcoholic. A smaller minority that gets caught, and a very minute percentage that gets caught 2x or more.

CopperCat
July 26th, 2007, 06:44 PM
You're wrong.

I don't know if this is true or not but here we go. The breathalizer actually isn't designed specifically for testing BAC. It actually measures a light spectrum that is created by how much alcohol is present on the person's breath. Now I'm no lab technician, but it seems to me that this is a rather crude way to measure BAC. Maybe this method has been changed using a different much more accurate measuring method.

Grizalltheway
July 26th, 2007, 07:03 PM
To UMStudent:

Please cease and desist with your knee-jerk, unreasoned and poorly written posts. You're giving the rest of AGS a terrible impression of UM students. If you have something intelligent and worthwhile to add to the discussion, please do so. If not, kindly stop embarrassing my school.

Sincerely,
Grizalltheway

Duck, lots of Griz fans who have posted in this thread, and most non-Griz fans, have expressed basically the same desire that you have...one that the Griz cut ties with someone who has basically racked up his THIRD strike...

It's the few posters who express this kind of attitude...

that brings standards into question...(and note, I did not bold win, the original poster did)

I know, it was a student who expressed that sentiment...not the administration, or coach...

And lots of sports fans have this uncanny ability to see the "bad" in the other guys player, but never in ours (see "SF Giants fans and Barry Bonds")

Speaking for myself only, those who are blind to reality are the one's I like to ping on...not your institution, which I respect...

Now, let's see what action that institution elects to take...xreadx

Like I said...

mvemjsunpx
July 26th, 2007, 07:58 PM
I don't know if this is true or not but here we go. The breathalizer actually isn't designed specifically for testing BAC. It actually measures a light spectrum that is created by how much alcohol is present on the person's breath. Now I'm no lab technician, but it seems to me that this is a rather crude way to measure BAC. Maybe this method has been changed using a different much more accurate measuring method.

I don't know about the breathalizer. I've heard many things about how inaccurate they might be (a relatively high number of false positives). There are blood tests, though, if you can get one fast enough.

I still think Blood Alcohol Content is an accurate way of measuring drunkenness, but, as for a DUI, I believe police need more than just a BAC test result to ensure a conviction. I think the court/jury needs police (or other) testimony of swerving &/or other reckless driving. Police also need probable cause to pull someone over in the first place; this usually comes from things like running stop signs.

mvemjsunpx
July 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
No, YOU'RE WRONG.

Sorry, just wanted to say that. :o :o :o :D

No need for apology.

It's my own fault for not doing this in the first place:

"YOU'RE WRONG"

xsmiley_wix :)

AZGrizFan
July 27th, 2007, 12:19 AM
No need for apology.

It's my own fault for not doing this in the first place:

"YOU'RE WRONG"

xsmiley_wix :)

I'm goin' home. His schwartz is bigger than my schwartz. xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeekx xeekx xeekx

WMTribe90
September 7th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I'm curious, what disciplinary action did Montana take in response to Quinn's second DUI?

GRZZ
September 7th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Suspended the first four games I believe.

McNeese_beat
September 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM
Suspended the first four games I believe.

I think it's a fair penalty. I'm hoping that he is getting counseling in the mean time. To me, he seems to be an alcoholic. A guy I know who taught at his high school said he was a good kid up until the "big-time" programs started recruiting him, and then it went to his head.

He really needs to be brought back down to earth and maybe he can be salvaged. I hope to see a humbled, recovered player by the time I run into the Griz in the post-season xsmiley_wix

Griz40
September 7th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I am not sure any amount of counseling will help this kid...getting a second chance at playing college football in a good program hasn't helped him yet....and he still hasn't played a down. Time will tell what this suspension does to him.

CopperCat
September 7th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Quinn should have been suspended indefinitely. It doesn't really make sense to me that somebody who has bad grades can't play, and a guy that drives drunk gets to play. Athletes are being given the message that they are ALLOWED to screw up more than the rest of us. That's a load.

Ronbo
September 7th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Quinn should have been suspended indefinitely. It doesn't really make sense to me that somebody who has bad grades can't play, and a guy that drives drunk gets to play. Athletes are being given the message that they are ALLOWED to screw up more than the rest of us. That's a load.

I think kids with bad grades lose their schollies. Quinn is an honors student.

CopperCat
September 8th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I think kids with bad grades lose their schollies. Quinn is an honors student.

Ronbo, I really can't believe you said that, because it has no relevance AT ALL to the situation. Honor student or not, Quinn has a PROBLEM with drinking and driving, and he is being allowed to play football. If you ask me, Quinn is the dumbest kid in any of his classes. He has repeated offenses, and yet you want me to turn and look the other way because he is an honor student? Who gives a **** about that!!!!! If I'm coach Hauck, I'm telling Quinn to pack his stuff and leave. I'd say the same thing to an MSU player 100 times over, no matter who it was.

Honor student? Gimme a friggin break man. That's probably the weakest argument I've heard on the board for a VERY long time.

AZGrizFan
September 8th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Ronbo, I really can't believe you said that, because it has no relevance AT ALL to the situation. Honor student or not, Quinn has a PROBLEM with drinking and driving, and he is being allowed to play football. If you ask me, Quinn is the dumbest kid in any of his classes. He has repeated offenses, and yet you want me to turn and look the other way because he is an honor student? Who gives a **** about that!!!!! If I'm coach Hauck, I'm telling Quinn to pack his stuff and leave. I'd say the same thing to an MSU player 100 times over, no matter who it was.

Honor student? Gimme a friggin break man. That's probably the weakest argument I've heard on the board for a VERY long time.

Nice jumping to conclusions, 06. YOU brought up grades, all Ronbo did was clear up the fact that kids with poor grades do NOT get to play---they lose their schollies. So your comparison/argument is without merit. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

UNHWildCats
September 8th, 2007, 12:40 AM
griz stop saying smart things.... it still wont let me give u rep.... ugh

Green26
September 8th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I have never heard he was suspended for 4 games. I have heard 3 and 2. Of the 3, 2 were for the DUI and 1 was for something else, like talking to the media. Nothing definitive has been announced, and coach Hauck is being careful not to say anything specific. My guess, and it's only a guess, is that Quinn will be back for the 3rd or 4th game. He's not suiting up for games yet. He had a very good pre-season practice period. He can play all 5 o-line positions.

patssle
September 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM
He had a very good pre-season practice period. He can play all 5 o-line positions.

Which is why he is even still on the team.

CopperCat
September 8th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Nice jumping to conclusions, 06. YOU brought up grades, all Ronbo did was clear up the fact that kids with poor grades do NOT get to play---they lose their schollies. So your comparison/argument is without merit. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

My conclusion is that somebody who goes out on the road drunk is putting himself and others in danger of being injured or killed. Yes, it was ME who brought up grades. I said that IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE THAT A KID WHO GETS BAD GRADES CAN'T PLAY, BUT THAT SOMEBODY WHO GOES OUT AND DRIVES DRUNK MORE THAN ONCE ONLY GETS SMACKED WITH A FOUR GAME SUSPENSION. If you ask me, it should be the other way around. Jumping to conclusions? Yes, it is a conclusion alright. Just because you don't like doesn't mean that it doesn't have merit.

AZGrizFan
September 8th, 2007, 04:36 PM
My conclusion is that somebody who goes out on the road drunk is putting himself and others in danger of being injured or killed. Yes, it was ME who brought up grades. I said that IT DOESN'T MAKE SENSE THAT A KID WHO GETS BAD GRADES CAN'T PLAY, BUT THAT SOMEBODY WHO GOES OUT AND DRIVES DRUNK MORE THAN ONCE ONLY GETS SMACKED WITH A FOUR GAME SUSPENSION. If you ask me, it should be the other way around. Jumping to conclusions? Yes, it is a conclusion alright. Just because you don't like doesn't mean that it doesn't have merit.

It takes longer to recover from bad grades. ;)

CopperCat
September 8th, 2007, 04:50 PM
It takes longer to recover from bad grades. ;)

Really? You don't go to jail for having bad grades the last time I checked.xrolleyesx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 22nd, 2008, 05:35 PM
Well it's been a while now and it's nice to see that this kid has everything all spuared away. All the Griz fans are really looking forward to a great year from this kid. Yup, it should be all smooth sailin' from here on out...

MaroonMafia
May 22nd, 2008, 05:45 PM
xbeerchugx

GOKATS
May 22nd, 2008, 06:00 PM
Well it's been a while now and it's nice to see that this kid has everything all spuared away. All the Griz fans are really looking forward to a great year from this kid. Yup, it should be all smooth sailin' from here on out...

I assume you brought this thread out of retirement tongue in cheek with your remark seeing as how he was reportedly arrested on another DUI in Missoula last night.xoopsx

Tod
May 22nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I assume you brought this thread out of retirement tongue in cheek with your remark seeing as how he was reportedly arrested on another DUI in Missoula last night.xoopsx

No ****? xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Grizalltheway
May 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM
Time for this dumb***** to hit the road (preferably sober). xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx xanim_chaix

GOKATS
May 22nd, 2008, 07:23 PM
No ****? xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

I don't blame ya for not checking egiz, I don't go there as well, but-

http://www.egriz.com/GrizBoard/topic31211.php

I guess it hasn't been absolutely determined that the JD (James David) Quinn, age 22, is the JD Quinn who plays for the griz (a couple posters say it's him) , but even griz die hards seem to have little doubt that they are one and the same.

T-Dog
May 22nd, 2008, 07:26 PM
Time for this dumb***** to hit the road (preferably sober). xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx xanim_chaix

I'd rather have him thrown away in an 8' x 10' than hit the road.

Isn't this his fourth DUI arrest?

GOKATS
May 22nd, 2008, 08:30 PM
Confirmation, it's the same JD Quinn.

http://www.montanasnewsstation.com/Global/story.asp?S=8368490

What a dumb ass.xoopsx

GrizFanIRAQ
May 22nd, 2008, 08:39 PM
Too bad theres so many haters....he's actually a pretty decent guy. Just needs to get things in life figured out!

Mustang Man
May 22nd, 2008, 08:49 PM
I'm sorry, but someone that has been arrested for a 4th DUI is not a pretty decent guy. The word you are looking for is dumbass.

NoCoDanny
May 22nd, 2008, 09:01 PM
A lot of pretty decent guys in prison too.

Proud Griz Man
May 22nd, 2008, 09:03 PM
Really? You don't go to jail for having bad grades the last time I checked.xrolleyesx

(1) If convicted (or UMs investigation shows overwhelming evidence of guilt and likely conviction), Quinn should be considered as a disciplinary issue and potentially kicked off the team. Coach Hauck is very focused on discipline. Among other penalties, he has suspended starting running backs.

(2) Unrelated, but this is ironic because I think I heard something about a MSU Bobcat defensive back (~ Fuller?) that played the entire 2006 football season before it became public that he was arrested in the drug ring that previous summer. True?

GOKATS
May 22nd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Too bad theres so many haters....he's actually a pretty decent guy. Just needs to get things in life figured out!

I doubt it's hate, probably more disappointment in what he's done to himself and the embarrassment to the griz football program. He may be a decent guy, but you'd think that after getting booted from Oklahoma, having to sit out a year at Montana, and being disciplined and missing games because of prior poor decisions he'd brighten up a bit.

Grizalltheway
May 22nd, 2008, 09:07 PM

FCS football should be a place for young men who have already figured things in life out. He has been given plenty of chances already, and blown each of them. xsmhx

FCS Go!
May 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Rumor/eGriz has him indefinately suspended.

CrazyCat
May 22nd, 2008, 09:45 PM
(1) If convicted (or UMs investigation shows overwhelming evidence of guilt and likely conviction), Quinn should be considered as a disciplinary issue and potentially kicked off the team. Coach Hauck is very focused on discipline. Among other penalties, he has suspended starting running backs.

(2) Unrelated, but this is ironic because I think I heard something about a MSU Bobcat defensive back (~ Fuller?) that played the entire 2006 football season before it became public that he was arrested in the drug ring that previous summer. True?

That would be false. He wasn't arrested until after the season was over.

Keeper
May 22nd, 2008, 11:23 PM
Let me just say this:

Some alcoholics are intelligent folk.
They just can't overcome their illness.

I often categorize drunk drivers as idiots myself,
but there is a significant drinking problem in this country.

Not defending the guy, but to point the finger and label him
a dumbass is short-sighted and no more enlightened than what he has done.

I have a close friend living in Michigan with his addiction and I fear for
him daily that something will happen to him or others.

Drink (and name calling) Responsibly, please.

Syntax Error
May 22nd, 2008, 11:26 PM
Wow, 4 DUIs? Alcoholism may be an addiction but driving while drunk is pure dumbazz.

GOKATS
May 22nd, 2008, 11:47 PM
[QUOTE=Proud Griz Man;956793
(2) Unrelated, but this is ironic because I think I heard something about a MSU Bobcat defensive back (~ Fuller?) that played the entire 2006 football season before it became public that he was arrested in the drug ring that previous summer. True?[/QUOTE]

False, and exactly where do you see the "irony"? Andre Fuller was a great student/athlete who excelled both on and off the field, had an impeccable background with both parents in education/administration careers, and made a really stupid mistake resulting in his arrest on minor drug charges after he had graduated.

Quinn, on the other hand, was dismissed from a prominent I-A school due to NCAA violations (plus a little more dirty laundry), was given a second chance at um, had to sit out for a year because of the NCAA violations, finally became eligible but gets suspended for four games because he gets arrested for DUI (possibly other team violations- who knows?) and now faces another DUI arrest. He may never step on the field at wa/griz, may never graduate, and seriously put a dent in any NFL opportunities he may have had.

How "ironic".xrolleyesx

Retro
May 22nd, 2008, 11:56 PM
It's not the life you choose, it's the life you lead.. xrolleyesx

The choices you make determine the person you are PERIOD!xnonox

putter
May 23rd, 2008, 12:07 AM
This is too bad as JD had an opportunity to go to the next level. I wonder if he will be able to stay on the team because he plead not guilty and did not take the breathalizer test.

I have a problem with the law anyway regarding DUI's. EX. My friend and I were driving home after a night of poker at a friends home. Neither of us had anything to drink but we got pulled over at about 1 am by an officer who said we crossed the center line. My friend (who was driving) refused to take the test saying he did not want to. AUTOMATIC ARREST FOR SUSPICION OF DUI! His dad called his attorney and got it straightened out. I am not saying this was JD's situation but arrested for suspicion of DUI means squat and I hope this is the case. If not he needs to become a student at the University, period.

grizband
May 23rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
Wow, 4 DUIs? Alcoholism may be an addiction but driving while drunk is pure dumbazz.
Wait, I'm confused; I thought we were arguing over whether Quinn had 3, not 4? Where did this most recent one come from?

Green26
May 23rd, 2008, 03:45 AM
Quinn hasn't had 4 DUI's. Get out of here with your false BS. He may not have been convicted of or pled to any DUI's. Too many arrests, tho. He was suspended for 2 games (not 4) at the beginning of last season.

Andre Fuller, the MSU corner, was caught in a drug investigation in June a few years ago, but was not arrested until after the season later in the fall. The authorities said they waited to make the arrest because the investigation of multiple people was ongoing. I hear he's a good kid and just made a big mistake. However, his mistake was selling cocaine while he was playing for MSU and on scholarship.

Appaholic
May 23rd, 2008, 08:36 AM
Andre Fuller, the MSU corner, was caught in a drug investigation in June a few years ago, but was not arrested until after the season later in the fall. The authorities said they waited to make the arrest because the investigation of multiple people was ongoing. I hear he's a good kid and just made a big mistake. However, his mistake was selling cocaine while he was playing for MSU and on scholarship.

Bet he got to bang a bunch of white coke whores......xnodx

NZNCRZY
May 23rd, 2008, 09:57 AM
I think the punishment needs to fit the crime. There is a big picture here with kicking someone off the team. Espcially with a guy like Quinn. If you kick him out he may loose his scholarship which could mean no more school. He most likely looses his opportunity to get a shot to play for the NFL. I think he should be punished but I a not sure a 2nd DUI should cost him all of this.

Proud Griz Man
May 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
False, and exactly where do you see the "irony"? Andre Fuller was a great student/athlete who excelled both on and off the field, had an impeccable background with both parents in education/administration careers, and made a really stupid mistake resulting in his arrest on minor drug charges after he had graduated.

Quinn, on the other hand, was dismissed from a prominent I-A school due to NCAA violations (plus a little more dirty laundry), was given a second chance at um, had to sit out for a year because of the NCAA violations, finally became eligible but gets suspended for four games because he gets arrested for DUI (possibly other team violations- who knows?) and now faces another DUI arrest. He may never step on the field at wa/griz, may never graduate, and seriously put a dent in any NFL opportunities he may have had.

How "ironic".xrolleyesx

I don't know J.D. Quinn and can't say if he is a good person or good student. From reports I read, he plead not-guilty to Thursday charge. From reports I read he is indefinately suspended by UM.

I misinterpreted the news stories from 12/06 and 1/07, and see Fuller was "investigated" in summer 2006 and not arrested until later. Nonetheless, I don't see how one would say Fuller had an impeccable history and was an excellent student/athlete. 3.5 ounces? Several months? Just a small lapse in judgment?

http://www.usdoj.gov/usao/mt/pressreleases/20070907160245.html

The United States Department of Justice
ANDRE FULLER PLEADS GUILTY IN U.S. FEDERAL COURT 9/07
Between approximately June of 2006 and the present date, the Missouri River Drug Task Force investigated the illicit trafficking of cocaine in the Bozeman area. As part of that investigation, the law enforcement authorities investigated FULLER for distributing cocaine between the months of May and August of 2006.
Confidential informants (CI) were used to make controlled purchases of illegal drugs from certain individuals. On June 21, 2006, a CI participated in a controlled purchase of cocaine from FULLER in Bozeman. The CI would have testified that FULLER distributed approximately one-eighth of an ounce of purported cocaine to the CI. The purported cocaine was subsequently analyzed by the Montana State Division of Forensic Science where it was determined that the substance did in fact contain a detectable amount of cocaine. A witness would have testified that she met FULLER and another individual during the summer of 2006 in Bozeman. The witness stated that she purchased approximately three and one-half ounces of cocaine from FULLER and the other individual between June and August of 2006.
The other individual would have testified that she purchased cocaine from FULLER on numerous occasions during June of 2006.

CopperCat
May 23rd, 2008, 11:38 AM
Another pissing match b/w griz and cat fans about dirty laundry.xrolleyesx Bottom line: Fuller AND Quinn both made mistakes that they must now answer for. It doesn't matter who was arrested when, or what the offense was or how many prior offenses they had. Both of them will probably spend some time in jail (Fuller for sure) and that is that.

GOKATS
May 23rd, 2008, 12:09 PM
Another pissing match b/w griz and cat fans about dirty laundry.xrolleyesx Bottom line: Fuller AND Quinn both made mistakes that they must now answer for. It doesn't matter who was arrested when, or what the offense was or how many prior offenses they had. Both of them will probably spend some time in jail (Fuller for sure) and that is that.

I really has nothing to do with this thread, but Fuller was sentenced to nine months last Jan. He plead guilty and is paying the penalty.

Montanan
May 23rd, 2008, 12:27 PM
well, there's at least one good thing to come out of this thread, Census Bureau now has an up-to-date figure regarding opinionated arseholes populating our great country! xnodx xnodx xnodx

CopperCat
May 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
well, there's at least one good thing to come out of this thread, Census Bureau now has an up-to-date figure regarding opinionated arseholes populating our great country! xnodx xnodx xnodx

xeyebrowx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

AZGrizFan
May 23rd, 2008, 02:51 PM

**** you. Now I just hope they don't cut him until AFTER the Davis game. :D :D :D

AZGrizFan
May 23rd, 2008, 02:55 PM
I'd rather have him thrown away in an 8' x 10' than hit the road.

Isn't this his fourth DUI arrest?

....because T-Dog said it, it MUST be true, right? xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

mtgrizfan4life
May 23rd, 2008, 09:53 PM
I will add a few things to ponder, and have not read every post here, but wanted to post myself. For those ready to hang this kid, I respect your opinion(s). With that said, we do not know all the details. Supposedly, Quinn requested a blood test, which was refused. IF true, why would he request a more accurate test than a damn breathe test? If true and not granted it will be hard to have the charges stick. (someone with legal experience can correct me if I am mistaken).

I know for myself, a person can be miscast and labeled due to 1 incident, mistake etc. In turn can be falsely accused of various things. I am sure most all of us have experiences some sort of label or misconceptions in our lifes regarding a few things, minor or major.

As a kid, my father got a DUI, went through treatment and all. Shortly there after, he went to see a friend in a local bar to shoot pool and had 1damn drink. Guess what? The police seen his car there, when he left they followed him, and pulled him over some assinine reason. He was charged with a DUI, got suspended from his work. Guess what? He fought this all the way. Being from a small community a majority of town jumped to conclusions, and in turn gave my dad more heat than he should have faced. (Just like Quinn right now). He let the courts decide this. As it turned out, he won his case and all charges were dropped, the police got in some serious trouble for their actions. The officer was let go etc. Damn near the whole town apologized to him.

His lawyer wanted him sue the city for some serious dollars. My dad chose to not pursue that option, being he felt the outcome was enough for him that monetary value could not replace him regaining respect in the community.

I have learned from that and other incidents not to prejudge anyone, friend, family, enemy, acquaintance, etc before the facts are found and time has taken its course. I am not saying JD is innocent or guilty, but am here to support him during this time. If he is found innocent I hope every damn naysayer and prosecutor here, EGRIZ, and the community has the balls enough to apologize to him. If found guilty, I hope he learns, gets help, and Hauck puts getting this kid help as the top priority.

Times like this are when anyone of any age need support, not condemning. I would think he feels bad enough letting himself, his coaches, team mates, university, state, and his family down for being in the situation to begin with.

I leave this post hoping for the best for JD regardless of outcome of this. Right or wrong, GRIZNATION is family and I support family. That is not saying I am for what he did. We all make mistakes, some more than others. No need for me to add fuel to the fire already started. Good luck JD. GO GRIZ!!!!

ncbears
May 24th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Why didn't that jock sniffer Ronbo start this thread? Everty great thing the griz do, he's on top of it. When the griz do something bad, he's no where to be found.

SideLine Shooter
May 24th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Why didn't that jock sniffer Ronbo start this thread? Everty great thing the griz do, he's on top of it. When the griz do something bad, he's no where to be found.

Isn't that just like a true Homer Grizz fan???xnodx xnodx

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2008, 11:30 AM

This is an old thread from last year that I went back and found. I doubt that he would have started a new one but news is an embarrassment for the Griz fans as it would be for any teams fans so it would be hard to imagine any fans trying to act as if this was a savory situation.

Hey ****o, do you ever try to add anything other than just some hack bull***** to any conversation. Every fan of every school on this board that has pride in the program they support is a homer for their school. Why don't you shut your ****ing mealy mouth and revel in his misfortune, and apparent weakness silently.

APPALACHIANstate
May 24th, 2008, 11:40 AM
This is an old thread from last year that I went back and found. I doubt that he would have started a new one but news is an embarrassment for the Griz fans as it would be for any teams fans so it would be hard to imagine any fans trying to act as if this was a savory situation.

Hey ****o, do you ever try to add anything other than just some hack bull***** to any conversation. Every fan of every school on this board that has pride in the program they support is a homer for their school. Why don't you shut your ****ing mealy mouth and revel in his misfortune, and apparent weakness silently.

Shut up, Nerd Rage at its finest.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Shut up, Nerd Rage at its finest.

No, you shut up.

Didn't expect to see your stupid ass in here either douchebag. Same old ***** from you too.

APPALACHIANstate
May 24th, 2008, 05:41 PM
No, you shut up.

Didn't expect to see your stupid ass in here either douchebag. Same old ***** from you too.

You have some sort of problem, lighten up frances.

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM
You have some sort of problem, lighten up frances.

I thought I told you to STFU already.

patssle
May 24th, 2008, 07:00 PM
Why was this thread brought back from the stone age? Has something changed or new info available?

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2008, 07:04 PM
Why was this thread brought back from the stone age? Has something changed or new info available?

It appears that he got another one so I went back and pulled it up to alleviate having to start another one. The kid's got a problem with getting in the car after having a few.

patssle
May 24th, 2008, 07:16 PM
It appears that he got another one so I went back and pulled it up to alleviate having to start another one. The kid's got a problem with getting in the car after having a few.

He got another one?

Good god. What its going to take for Montana to kick him off? Talk about losing respect for your program....

ursus arctos horribilis
May 24th, 2008, 07:24 PM
He got another one?

Good god. What its going to take for Montana to kick him off? Talk about losing respect for your program....

He was indefinitely suspended, I imagine it is his last one but they are probably waiting for some things to shake out so they don't kick him and find out something later that could get them in some sort of legal trouble or something. I don't know exactly what the protocol is or what they have to wait for.

Grizzaholic
May 24th, 2008, 07:33 PM
Who have ever been pulled over for no mubflaps. I just read the paper from yesterday and that is why he was pulled over. Now maybe it is just me, but it seems like the police in town are out to get everybody.

I am in no way shape or form defending JD Quinn, it was stupid for him to get behind the wheel if he was in fact drunk.

GOKATS
May 24th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Who have ever been pulled over for no mubflaps. I just read the paper from yesterday and that is why he was pulled over. Now maybe it is just me, but it seems like the police in town are out to get everybody.

I am in no way shape or form defending JD Quinn, it was stupid for him to get behind the wheel if he was in fact drunk.

I'm not digging, but the 'mubflaps' was probably a minor issue- the fact that he made a left turn into the wrong lane of traffic probably had more to do with it- that fact was also in the newspaper article.

Grizzaholic
May 24th, 2008, 11:06 PM
I'm not digging, but the 'mubflaps' was probably a minor issue- the fact that he made a left turn into the wrong lane of traffic probably had more to do with it- that fact was also in the newspaper article.

You mean to tell me you don't know what mubflaps are? xrolleyesx

I just dug the paper out of the garbage and read the article again. You are right, probably a minor issue with the mudflaps.

GOKATS
May 24th, 2008, 11:36 PM
You mean to tell me you don't know what mubflaps are? xrolleyesx

I just dug the paper out of the garbage and read the article again. You are right, probably a minor issue with the mudflaps.

xpeacex As a Cat fan we're not throwing any mud (no pun intended).
It appears there are enough "their team never done wrong" fans here to cover that base.xnodx

Proud Griz Man
May 25th, 2008, 12:25 AM
I have learned from that and other incidents not to prejudge anyone, friend, family, enemy, acquaintance, etc before the facts are found and time has taken its course. I am not saying JD is innocent or guilty, but am here to support him during this time. If he is found innocent I hope every damn naysayer and prosecutor here, EGRIZ, and the community has the balls enough to apologize to him. If found guilty, I hope he learns, gets help, and Hauck puts getting this kid help as the top priority.

Nicely stated, and accurate.

AZGrizFan
May 25th, 2008, 12:34 AM

Is there any other kind of fan? Or is this one's name actually Homer?

And it's Griz with ONE z, dipstick. xeyebrowx xcoolx Watch it, or I'll start callin' it Appy State. xcoffeex

SeattleGriz
May 25th, 2008, 01:47 AM
He got another one?

Still got issues with Montana.

Fargin give it up dude. Don't be bitter SHSU sucked azz last year with only one of the OU guilty, while Montana went to the playoffs AGAIN.

Peems
May 25th, 2008, 02:38 PM
Here's what happened:

Quinn was driving three of his friends home, he had had one beer or so. It was late and he was pulled over, after running the plates they saw he had a prior DUI. When the officer went over to the car he smelled alcohol and asked JD to take a breathalyzer. JD refused but instead asked to be given a blood test. They took him down to the station and never administered a blood test or a breath test.

When JD went to court the Judge agreed that the case had been mishandled and JD actually got his bond money back. Nothing major will happen with him, and he will be suiting up for the Griz come this fall, barring any major incidents.

Now about Olsen and Brown, Olsen wanted to play at Oregon St. and Brown followed him, reportedly once Tim Hauck left they didn't really like Bobby enough to stay.

mtgrizfan4life
May 25th, 2008, 03:01 PM
As I stated on Egriz, Peems, I hope this is the true story. If so, how many posters will post here they are sorry and learn not to jump conclusions? I bet the apologies will be fewer than the ones jumping to conclusions and/or condemning JD.

GOKATS
May 25th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I also hope it's true for the Griz sake and I haven't thrown any stones, but until I see something more substantial than Peems post I'm a bit skeptical. JD's initial court appearance was scheduled for last Thurs. at 10:30 am. Seeing that this issue is probably pretty high profile news to Griz football and Missoula I'd think that the Missoulian or some local media would've picked up on info like this and something would've been announced earlier than a message board post on Sunday afternoon.

CopperCat
May 25th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Here's what happened:

Quinn was driving three of his friends home, he had had one beer or so. It was late and he was pulled over, after running the plates they saw he had a prior DUI. When the officer went over to the car he smelled alcohol and asked JD to take a breathalyzer. JD refused but instead asked to be given a blood test. They took him down to the station and never administered a blood test or a breath test.

When JD went to court the Judge agreed that the case had been mishandled and JD actually got his bond money back. Nothing major will happen with him, and he will be suiting up for the Griz come this fall, barring any major incidents.

Now about Olsen and Brown, Olsen wanted to play at Oregon St. and Brown followed him, reportedly once Tim Hauck left they didn't really like Bobby enough to stay.

Interesting story, source?

Grizzaholic
May 28th, 2008, 03:58 PM
Has anybody heard the latest? Is he or isn't he suspended and was the case thrown out?

uofmman1122
May 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Has anybody heard the latest? Is he or isn't he suspended and was the case thrown out?We don't really know. If what Peems said is true, it should all get thrown out, and we'll have him back in the lineup, but no one has any idea at this point.

GOKATS
May 28th, 2008, 05:33 PM
We don't really know. If what Peems said is true, it should all get thrown out, and we'll have him back in the lineup, but no one has any idea at this point.

Chris posted on egriz a little while ago that Quinn has a court appearance at 1:30 this Fri. If as Peems reported he was goven his bond back and if the charge has been dropped I don't know why he would be going to court (unless it's related to the previous DUI arrest, but I doubt that).

uofmman1122
May 28th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Chris posted on egriz a little while ago that Quinn has a court appearance at 1:30 this Fri. If as Peems reported he was goven his bond back and if the charge has been dropped I don't know why he would be going to court (unless it's related to the previous DUI arrest, but I doubt that).Good to know. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things play out after Friday.

smallcollegefbfan
May 28th, 2008, 05:55 PM
The NFL has started at new rule effective June 1, 2008 that if a player is arrested the NFL team gets fined for it. After all of this I would be shocked if Quinn even got in a camp next year or made the team.

I hate to see a great player make these mistakes. Hopefully he learns from them but multiple infractions like this probably destroy any chance of the NFL with that new rule.

My thoughts and prayers are with him that he turn his life around. He is too good of a talent to go undrafted and not play in the NFL. Hopefully he stays clean and gets a shot!

ursus arctos horribilis
May 28th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Interesting thing about it is that even if he said he wanted the blood test and was refused it by the cops he doesn't get the choice like in the old days. He should have taken the Breathalyzer if he only had one beer. He would also have had to do the normal field tests I would think and this should provide a lot of information as to his condition at the time.

Grizzaholic
May 28th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Interesting thing about it is that even if he said he wanted the blood test and was refused it by the cops he doesn't get the choice like in the old days. He should have taken the Breathalyzer if he only had one beer. He would also have had to do the normal field tests I would think and this should provide a lot of information as to his condition at the time.

Good point. If he only had a beer or two why didn't he take the tests?

FCS Go!
May 30th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Quinn in court today. DUI dismissed. Plead out on not having mudflaps on his pick'm up truck and making an illegal turn. Grizland can get back to football now, thanks. xcoffeex

ursus arctos horribilis
May 30th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Quinn in court today. DUI dismissed. Plead out on not having mudflaps on his pick'm up truck and making an illegal turn. Grizland can get back to football now, thanks. xcoffeex

thanks for the update Go! Thing that sucks is that Mud Flap charge is gonna follow him around for a long time.

FCS Go!
May 30th, 2008, 04:28 PM
more/better info here:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41943

Grizzaholic
May 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks