PDA

View Full Version : FCS School No-Shows Conference Media Day

TexasTerror
July 24th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Texas Southern University no-showed SWAC Media Day according to posters on SWACPage. I can not confirm this as I did not attend, but I thought it was worth discussing in a non-smack way...

Is that a statement in regards to the media coverage that Texas Southern receives? I know the fans have been complaining about the coverage that their institution receives and that it is always negative.

The Tigers got two first-place votes and there's a bit of optimism behind their program, but perhaps the fans can't complain if their own institution does not support these opportunities to reach out to the media.

Not sure they have a right to complain about the coverage...there are apparently far greater concerns that need to be addressed.

According to our buddy, C-Leb, a very important individual in all things Texas Southern, "Commissioner Sharp instructed all coaches to be in town by Sunday (not Monday but Sunday) so there would be no excuses on not being able to attend Media Day for TUESDAY. By tomorrow (Wednesday) morning Sharp will have made his decision on what the financial penalty accessed to Texas Southern will be and I don't blame him." (Credit: http://www.swacpage.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1226837&postcount=16)

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2007, 07:48 PM
An absurd, and wholly unprofessional move by Texas Southern. Let's hope they show up for all their games.xnonono2x

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2007, 04:03 PM
An absurd, and wholly unprofessional move by Texas Southern. Let's hope they show up for all their games.xnonono2x

I'm still trying to figure out why they did not show up. I have not heard from anyone on the subject though I saw some great pictures from the event and heard the great news about the SWAC championship trophy! xthumbsupx

jstate83
July 25th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Texas Southern said it was an airline mix up.

No official word from the SWAC yet outside of "They better have a good reason" or they will be fined heavy. xnodx

McNeese72
July 25th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they did not show up. I have not heard from anyone on the subject though I saw some great pictures from the event and heard the great news about the SWAC championship trophy! xthumbsupx

You sure there wasn't a hurricane or something 150 or so miles away. xrolleyesx

Doc

TexasTerror
July 25th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Airline mix-up? Hmmm...

If they had a problem, considering they were supposed to be there Sunday, I am sure they could've driven to B'ham on Monday...
-----------------
Texas Southern didn't show up for the event at the Sheraton Hotel and an obviously irritated Duer Sharp, the SWAC interim commissioner, said there would be a hefty price to pay if the TSU brass didn't have a good reason for skipping the event.

"I got an e-mail this morning (from TSU) saying there was a mix-up by the airline," Sharp said. "If it's truly the airline's fault, then the penalty won't be too bad. But if it's Texas Southern's fault, then they're going to get hit with a pretty big fine."

The other nine schools brought delegations of at least one coach and two players. Arkansas Pine-Bluff quarterback Chris Wallace was the best dressed with a slick tan suit and alligator-skin shoes.

"I'm glad the other nine schools chose to treat this as a big deal because it is a big deal," Sharp said. "It's important for everybody to be here and kick the season off the right way."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070725/SPORTS/707250340/0/SPORTS

813Jag
July 25th, 2007, 07:02 PM
Airline mix-up? Hmmm...

If they had a problem, considering they were supposed to be there Sunday, I am sure they could've driven to B'ham on Monday...
-----------------
Texas Southern didn't show up for the event at the Sheraton Hotel and an obviously irritated Duer Sharp, the SWAC interim commissioner, said there would be a hefty price to pay if the TSU brass didn't have a good reason for skipping the event.

"I got an e-mail this morning (from TSU) saying there was a mix-up by the airline," Sharp said. "If it's truly the airline's fault, then the penalty won't be too bad. But if it's Texas Southern's fault, then they're going to get hit with a pretty big fine."

The other nine schools brought delegations of at least one coach and two players. Arkansas Pine-Bluff quarterback Chris Wallace was the best dressed with a slick tan suit and alligator-skin shoes.

"I'm glad the other nine schools chose to treat this as a big deal because it is a big deal," Sharp said. "It's important for everybody to be here and kick the season off the right way."

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070725/SPORTS/707250340/0/SPORTS
Looks like they've got some 'splainin to do.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2007, 06:32 AM
When'd Texas Southern let the SWAC know that they were going to no-show the event? They call the day of? Nope, they e-mailed in the morning of the event!

Is it true the SWAC wanted the folks to come in on Sunday as I read on another board?
----------------
However, before we get to Clark's Q&A, there's the issue of Texas Southern being absent from Tuesday's Southwestern Athletic Conference Media Day in Birmingham, Ala. That didn't sit well with Duer Sharp, interim SWAC commissioner, who warned that TSU could face a fine.

"I got an e-mail this morning (from TSU) saying there was a mix-up by the airline," Sharp told the Clarion Ledger. "If it's truly the airline's fault, then the penalty won't be too bad. But if it's Texas Southern's fault, then they're going to get hit with a pretty big fine."

I spoke with TSU sports information director Rodney Bush earlier today, and he assured me that there had been complications with travel arrangements. I'm truly certain this is the reason.

I just can't see TSU intentionally skipping Tuesday's event. From all perspectives, it wouldn't have been smart to do so.

http://blogs.chron.com/areacolleges/2007/07/southland_football_part_2_tsus_1.html
----------------
No Texas Southern

Texas Southern did not field any representatives for the event, and the school could be fined as a result.

“This event has been scheduled for some time,” Sharp said. “For them not to show up is disappointing.”

Sharp said he received a call from Texas Southern Athletic Director Alois Blackwell in the morning saying there was a “mix-up with the tickets.”

“We’ll review it and get all the information and find out what really went on,” Sharp said. “They’ll be fined, because attendance here is mandatory.

“I have to take all the factors into account and find out who mixed up what. Was it an airline mix-up, or was it TSU’s mix-up? If it’s TSU’s, (the fine) could be pretty severe. This is our kickoff. This is what we do, and not to show really hurts us and really hurts TSU.”

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/southern/8699107.html

katstrapper
July 26th, 2007, 06:43 AM
That school is a mess. The former univeristy president has really put that school in a hole and it looks like it is just trickling down. I am suprised that they can even field a football team with all the money problems they are in right now, plus on the Houston news the school is losing in student enrollment.xcoffeex

Not a good sign when they dont show up to media day.xnonox

Lehigh Football Nation
July 26th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Shameful not to show up for media day. Not so much for the coaches and media, but mostly for the kids (like DE Mike Boyd) that miss an opportunity to go through something unique. I agree with posters that say it's not a good sign.

TexasTerror
July 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
Shameful not to show up for media day. Not so much for the coaches and media, but mostly for the kids (like DE Mike Boyd) that miss an opportunity to go through something unique. I agree with posters that say it's not a good sign.

This is a school that many are pulling to bounce back from the difficulties that they have been dealt, but events like this are definite setbacks to the institution...

Lehigh Football Nation
July 27th, 2007, 09:24 AM
This is a school that many are pulling to bounce back from the difficulties that they have been dealt, but events like this are definite setbacks to the institution...

Believe me, I have taken notice and will be at the very least mentioning it in the future.

Tribe4SF
July 27th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Mix up with tickets???? You've got to be kidding. If there's a mix up, you just get another flight.xeyebrowx

mikebigg
July 27th, 2007, 10:23 AM
You sure there wasn't a hurricane or something 150 or so miles away. xrolleyesx

Doc

xlolx xlolx