PDA

View Full Version : App St. vs. Michigan

Jacks76
July 24th, 2007, 01:11 PM
I was really surprised to see that App. State is going to play Michigan this year. I think that will be a much better game than on paper. On paper, of course, it is not even close, but App. State has won two consecutive FCS titles, so I think they will stay close with Michigan through 2.5 quarters before the Wolverines pull away late:

Michigan 42,
App. State 14

Paul

GoGuins
July 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
I think we have enough threads on this

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19938

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20067

KiddBrewer
July 24th, 2007, 01:29 PM
yea, but it about time, though early, for a score prediction thread.....so ill go with....

Michigan- 35
App- 15

GoGuins
July 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
yea, but it about time, though early, for a score prediction thread.....so ill go with....

Michigan- 35
App- 15

5 FG's?

Chi Panther
July 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
The tought thing for me regarding the game is can the speedy QB from ASU consistently throw the ball. I know he can run, but I can see multiple INTs in this game.

GO ASU!!!!

DaveK
July 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Michigan should win by about 30, but I don't see the final margin of victory being much bigger than the halftime point differential. I think they'll call off the dogs in the 2nd half and not run the score up. If they wanted to be poor sports they could probably win by 60, but I think they have more class than that.

Jacks76
July 24th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I don't see Michigan winning by 30, simply due to the "poor sport" thought of rubbing in the score to an opponent. Michigan isn't likely to run up the score, like Nebraska and Kansas State used to against inferior teams.

Paul

SoCon48
July 24th, 2007, 02:08 PM
The tought thing for me regarding the game is can the speedy QB from ASU consistently throw the ball. I know he can run, but I can see multiple INTs in this game.

GO ASU!!!!

He threw only 1 interception in 3 of the play-off games. Does that answer your question. He throws on the run a lot but still as the season went along, he threw less and less errant balls. The WCU game yielded more than usual but that game was played in a down pour.
A fair amount of his passes were bounced off of his own receivers.
If NAU pins its hopes on pass defense, they will be sorely disappointed.
He threw for 2K yards last year in a run dominated offense.
I predict 1 INT thrown by ASU..

DaveK
July 24th, 2007, 03:27 PM
I don't see Michigan winning by 30, simply due to the "poor sport" thought of rubbing in the score to an opponent. Michigan isn't likely to run up the score, like Nebraska and Kansas State used to against inferior teams.

Paul

I don't think they'll be up by 23 and then tack on a late touchdown to rub it in and make the final margin 30. I think they'll be up by 24 at halftime, and then their 2nd string will outscore App. State's starters by 6 in the 2nd half.

ncman071
July 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
i think App will be down by 13-17 pts at the half and lose by 17. something like 30-13 imo.

APP91
July 24th, 2007, 03:37 PM
I don't think they'll be up by 23 and then tack on a late touchdown to rub it in and make the final margin 30. I think they'll be up by 24 at halftime, and then their 2nd string will outscore App. State's starters by 6 in the 2nd half.

If that's the case, our starters will not be in the game in the 2nd half either. Coach Moore has discussed what an excellent opportunity it is to play at the Big House, but has said the main goal is to win the SoCon and be in position for home play off games. Playing starters in mop up situations is no way to accomplish the main goals.

Jacks76
July 24th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Coach Jerome Sauers didn't elaborate as to why.

Paul

GoGuins
July 24th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I'm hoping to see QB Ryan Mallett get some reps

griz37
July 24th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I'm hoping to see QB Ryan Mallett get some reps

Hopefully Henne, Hart & Manningham are out by halftime. I would be jacked to see Mallet get some snaps, I guess he's not redshirting?

Michigan 45
App. St. 10

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 24th, 2007, 04:02 PM
I really hope for App St. to take it to Michigan only to get smacked around in the SoCon, leaving sports writers and analysts scratching their collective heads throughout the fall football season.

Ok, will be disappointed on both accounts... c'est la vie!

NOTE: ANOTHER thread on this game????????? What, is the quota 1-2 / month before Sept. 1? :):):)

GGASU
July 24th, 2007, 04:24 PM
When the season ended last year Sagarin would have had the spread at 20points including the 3 extra for home games.

Appalachian will be stronger than last year (as long as the two transfers are half as good as advertised), and Michigan will at least be weaker on defense.

Sticking to ASU by 7.

laxVik
July 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
When the season ended last year Sagarin would have had the spread at 20points including the 3 extra for home games.

Appalachian will be stronger than last year (as long as the two transfers are half as good as advertised), and Michigan will at least be weaker on defense.

Sticking to ASU by 7.ASU by 7? In the big house? Can I laugh now? xlolx

PSUVikings
July 24th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Michigan is a higher level caliber in every phase of the game, App doesn't belong on or off the field with them. I say Hart gets to them early and the Michigan defense hurts a few people.

Michigan 41
Appalachian State 0

laxVik
July 24th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Michigan is a higher level caliber in every phase of the game, App doesn't belong on or off the field with them. I say Hart gets to them early and the Michigan defense hurts a few people.

Michigan 41
Appalachian State 0
Look out. PSU fans aren't entitled to an opinion here as we only average 7K a game in attendance and have zero nat'l champions unlike our Southern compadres.

james_lawfirm
July 24th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I really hope for App St. to take it to Michigan only to get smacked around in the SoCon, leaving sports writers and analysts scratching their collective heads throughout the fall football season.

Ok, will be disappointed on both accounts... c'est la vie!

NOTE: ANOTHER thread on this game????????? What, is the quota 1-2 / month before Sept. 1? :):):)

Now THAT would be interesting. I have already posted somewhere on this thread the possibility of a mental letdown on Sept. 9 against Div. 2 Lenoir Rhyne College if ASU wins the Mich. game by whatever margin.

But, I think it EXTREMELY unlikely for ASU to be anything but PUMPED for its SoCon brethren. Even if we lose the first three games, we will give the SoCon our best shot. The most challenging games IMO will be at Furman and Wofford, both away games. Best game of the year may be at Wofford - apologies to my Paladin friends.

And, as for the disbelievers among you, I think ASU gives Mich. some matchup problems. Remember, Florida's spread offense gave Ohio State FITS. And no one gave them any chance before that game. Could it be the same deja vu all over again? Speed kills.

For all you folks who keep saying the ranked FBS teams are bigger, faster, and deeper at every position, I agree Mich. will be deeper (22 more scholarships). BUT, I do not agree that their players are that much better than ours.

I think the Mich. game will be close into the 4th quarter, and Mich. will probably squeak by with a win. But if its within a TD in the 4th, Watch out!

No_Skill
July 24th, 2007, 10:36 PM
How many App vs. Michigan threads do we need? It's all been written already.

:pumpuke: xdeadhorsex :pumpuke: xdeadhorsex :pumpuke:

Saint3333
July 24th, 2007, 10:51 PM

Michigan 41
Appalachian State 0

Doesn't belong on or off the field togetherxconfusedx...

ASU has quality academic and athletic programs.

Chi Panther
July 24th, 2007, 11:36 PM
He threw only 1 interception in 3 of the play-off games. Does that answer your question. He throws on the run a lot but still as the season went along, he threw less and less errant balls. The WCU game yielded more than usual but that game was played in a down pour.
A fair amount of his passes were bounced off of his own receivers.
If NAU pins its hopes on pass defense, they will be sorely disappointed.
He threw for 2K yards last year in a run dominated offense.
I predict 1 INT thrown by ASU..

I'll put the over under at 3

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 07:21 AM
Doesn't belong on or off the field togetherxconfusedx...

ASU has quality academic and athletic programs.

I think there is even a bigger gap in academics. Most of Michigan's academic programs are ranked in the top ten nationally, public or private. In 2006 US News & World Report, Michigan was ranked second overall in public universities

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 07:22 AM
I'll put the over under at 3

I'll give ASU +31

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Hopefully Henne, Hart & Manningham are out by halftime. I would be jacked to see Mallet get some snaps, I guess he's not redshirting?

Michigan 45
App. St. 10

Mallett became the back-up after Forcier transferred to Stanford. Good news came last week when Steven Threet transferred in from Georgia Tech

AppStateMan
July 25th, 2007, 07:35 AM
I think there is even a bigger gap in academics. Most of Michigan's academic programs are ranked in the top ten nationally, public or private. In 2006 US News & World Report, Michigan was ranked second overall in public universities

-TIME Magazine named Appalachian the "College of the Year" (2001)

- The Princeton Review features Appalachian in the new 2008 edition of its book “America’s Best Value Colleges.”

-US News & World Report's America's Best Colleges 2007 ranks Appalachian 5th overall among regional public comprehensive universities in the South and 12th overall among public and private universities in the South

-Consumers Digest magazine ranks Appalachian 21st in its list of "Top 50 Best Values for Public Colleges and Universities.

-Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine ranks Appalachian 31st in terms of in-state costs in 2007

-TWO TIME NCAA DIVISION 1 NATION CHAMPIONS in FOOTBALL! (2005,2006)
-SEVEN SOUTHERN CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIPS

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 07:38 AM

- The Princeton Review features Appalachian in the new 2008 edition of its book “America’s Best Value Colleges.”

-US News & World Report's America's Best Colleges 2007 ranks Appalachian 5th overall among regional public comprehensive universities in the South and 12th overall among public and private universities in the South

-Consumers Digest magazine ranks Appalachian 21st in its list of "Top 50 Best Values for Public Colleges and Universities.

-Kiplinger’s Personal Finance magazine ranks Appalachian 31st in terms of in-state costs in 2007

Like I said, there is a gap

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 08:00 AM

Like I said, there's a gap. Most of what you mentioned are financials. I'm talking academics

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 08:02 AM

Sticking to ASU by 7.

I'll give ASU +31

GoGuins
July 25th, 2007, 08:29 AM

Sticking to ASU by 7.

I'll give ASU +31

Yea, I'll save you guys the trouble
xhomerx

asu3peat
July 25th, 2007, 08:41 AM
I'll give ASU +31

If I were the type of guy to bet for/against my alma mater, I'd take that bet. If I remember correctly, ASU covered all the spreads in last years playoffs (1st - Finals). I don't think UM/Carr will run the score up on us. Do I think they could beat us by 31+? It's a possibility since they have probably one of the most prolific offenses in the nation this year. Anything is possible! Regardless of what happens in this game, I'm just glad that we get an opportunity to play one of the most successful powerhouse football teams in the nation. Goodluck to all FCS'ers against the FBS teams, especially JMU over UNC and YSU over OSU. Let's all make a statement this year against the FBS.

UM - 38
ASU - 17

AppStateMan
July 25th, 2007, 09:02 AM
Like I said, there's a gap. Most of what you mentioned are financials. I'm talking academics

Financials? VALUE. Combining the value of education one will recieve and the cost of attendance. We are compairing a school with an undergraduate population of around 27,000 to a school with just 14,000. ASU is also at the bottom of the list for State funding out of all the University of North Carolina Schools. So I think we are doing great for what we have! We are a growing University. Just come visit and you'll see for yourself!

To keep with this thread....UM 36 ASU 21

Black Saturday
July 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM
Lot of APP envy in this thread.xbawlingx

KiddBrewer
July 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
5 FG's?

Na, i was going more toward, we go for two at the end after making it 35-13, and get the two point conversion, just for kicks.

griz37
July 25th, 2007, 12:21 PM
Lot of APP envy in this thread.xbawlingx

App envy because people are saying that a Top 5 BCS team will beat your boys by more than 3 points? Come on. xconfusedx

Jacks76
July 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
We need to always respect the opponent, but App St. isn't as far in talent from Michigan as some believe.

Michigan 37,
App. St. 14

Paul

APPALACHIANstate
June 10th, 2008, 08:49 PM
haha

IndianaAppMan
June 10th, 2008, 08:54 PM
haha

Verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry good find!xlolx

Mountaineer
June 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM
GoGuins and griz37 were gone for a LOOOOOOOONG time after the game was over. xsmiley_wix

xlolx

KiddBrewer
June 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
i frequently look back at these things and laugh

KiddBrewer
June 10th, 2008, 09:13 PM
hahahaha.................. for example...................

ASU by 7? In the big house? Can I laugh now? xlolx

CopperCat
June 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
You should be banned for dragging this dusty piece of crap thread up again.xnonono2x xmadx

IndianaAppMan
June 10th, 2008, 09:27 PM
You should be banned for dragging this dusty piece of crap thread up again.xnonono2x xmadx

He's just showing pride for his school. It looks like a lot of people talked smack to App fans. They'll never live that down, and the numbers 34-32 will never, ever, ever get old.

TheValleyRaider
June 10th, 2008, 10:11 PM
However App's season ends this year, the board just might explode on that day...

BEAR
June 10th, 2008, 11:15 PM
Hey.....it's another App. - Michigan thread :pumpuke:

...no wait...it's an old one someone dug up... xdeadhorsex

......no really....it's a long summer...let's see some more...xgiveadamnx

IndianaAppMan
June 10th, 2008, 11:16 PM
However App's season ends this year, the board just might explode on that day...

I know it's obnoxious, but I just don't care. That day was the closest thing to euphoria as I think is possible for a sports fan. The feeling of beating MEEEEEEESH-AH-GIN, especially since I'm in Big 10 land, is priceless for Mountaineers everywhere. I would rather us win the national title than beat LSU, and the Michigan win would have been empty without last year's title. Still, that day is something we'll never forget. The excitement we had (and still have, 9 & 1/2 months later) could only be compared to what Cubs fans will feel when they (hopefully) win the World Series this year after an unbelievable 100 year drought.

IndianaAppMan
June 10th, 2008, 11:24 PM

Don't you guys play Furman this year, or is it another SoCon school? Does Colgate play FBS teams ever? (No smack intended at all; just curious)

I got into a thread earlier with a guy about how Davidson used to be PL. Academically, it seemed like they were a perfect fit, especially with the non-scholly approach. Did they leave b/c the SoCon geography made more sense, or was it something else?

For that matter, the PL would be making much more sense for them now than the PFL. I don't know why they don't try to join for FB-only like G'town did.

Your thoughts are welcome.

TheValleyRaider
June 10th, 2008, 11:42 PM
I know it's obnoxious, but I just don't care. That day was the closest thing to euphoria as I think is possible for a sports fan. The feeling of beating MEEEEEEESH-AH-GIN, especially since I'm in Big 10 land, is priceless for Mountaineers everywhere. I would rather us win the national title than beat LSU, and the Michigan win would have been empty without last year's title. Still, that day is something we'll never forget. The excitement we had (and still have, 9 & 1/2 months later) could only be compared to what Cubs fans will feel when they (hopefully) win the World Series this year after an unbelievable 100 year drought.

I can hardly begrudge ASU fans for their euphoria, just commenting that if they should fail to win the Title, they likely will be the target of a fair amount of, well, anything

Don't you guys play Furman this year, or is it another SoCon school? Does Colgate play FBS teams ever? (No smack intended at all; just curious)

I got into a thread earlier with a guy about how Davidson used to be PL. Academically, it seemed like they were a perfect fit, especially with the non-scholly approach. Did they leave b/c the SoCon geography made more sense, or was it something else?

For that matter, the PL would be making much more sense for them now than the PFL. I don't know why they don't try to join for FB-only like G'town did.

Your thoughts are welcome.

We play Furman up in Hamilton this year, and then down there in 2010. We only rarely play FBS. Last one was Buffalo in 2003. I have to think they want to visit Army and similar schools, but both sides (us and our desired FBS opponents) have plenty of dates locked up

I don't really know the history of Davidson and the PL, other than to say they were originally supposed to be in it, then dropped out. Travel costs were part of it (Georgetown was not a League member when the PL started in the mid-80s). I'd guess their decision to stay PFL is based on money and philosophy. Patriot League schools, while nominally non-scholarship, do award grants-in-aid and other helpers for football players that Pioneer schools do not, in addition to spending more money on their programs period. Other PL posters (who have more than 5 years experience with the League) can undoubtably tell you more

APPALACHIANstate
June 11th, 2008, 05:41 AM
I can hardly begrudge ASU fans for their euphoria, just commenting that if they should fail to win the Title, they likely will be the target of a fair amount of, well, anything

Yeah, we will be super upset after having won 3 in a row...xlolx

89Hen
June 11th, 2008, 09:28 AM
No kidding. And Indiana, they will never be forgotten, but they got old back in September of last year. xsmiley_wix :p

SideLine Shooter
June 11th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Hey.....it's another App. - Michigan thread :pumpuke:

...no wait...it's an old one someone dug up... xdeadhorsex

......no really....it's a long summer...let's see some more...xgiveadamnx

Why did you even bother to reply? You must have interest in it.xnodx xnodx xnodx

AppAlum2003
June 11th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Why did you even bother to reply? You must have interest in it.xnodx xnodx xnodx

He wanted to show us his fancy artwork!

I swear... when UCA wins three straight National Championships and beats an all-time great BCS school, I'm going to flip out and complain about the attention they're getting. I swear it! I'm not kidding!

james_lawfirm
June 11th, 2008, 10:34 AM

I swear... when UCA wins three straight National Championships and beats an all-time great BCS school, I'm going to flip out and complain about the attention they're getting. I swear it! I'm not kidding!

Ouch! xsmiley_wix

SideLine Shooter
June 11th, 2008, 12:28 PM

One thing about that is, I really don't think you have to worry about that.
It'll NEVER HAPPEN.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AppAlum2003
June 11th, 2008, 12:35 PM
One thing about that is, I really don't think you have to worry about that.
It'll NEVER HAPPEN.xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

*pssst* that was kind of the point xwhistlex

Montanan
June 11th, 2008, 12:51 PM
with the Championship goes the spoils, a year of walking the walk and talking the talk. congrats. in App. States case it's been a 3 year unprecedented run, again congrats. the downside from this (funny), from a forum's perspective, is how many times and how many ways can you rehash the same, now 3 yr old material, before it really gets old? i think we've answered that. again, it's their year. happily it's a new year and whatever team is the luckiest, healthiest and most talented will have their turn at walking the walk and talking the talk. god, are ya hearing me?

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 01:19 PM
No kidding. And Indiana, they will never be forgotten, but they got old back in September of last year. xsmiley_wix :p

Not to talk smack, but since you brought that up, would rather talk about that other game in December. Ya know, the one in Chattanooga?xsmiley_wix

AppAlum2003
June 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
with the Championship goes the spoils, a year of walking the walk and talking the talk. congrats. in App. States case it's been a 3 year unprecedented run, again congrats. the downside from this (funny), from a forum's perspective, is how many times and how many ways can you rehash the same, now 3 yr old material, before it really gets old? i think we've answered that. again, it's their year. happily it's a new year and whatever team is the luckiest, healthiest and most talented will have their turn at walking the walk and talking the talk. god, are ya hearing me?

Hear that GSU fans? No more mentioning 6 National Titles! xrolleyesx

Montanan
June 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Hear that GSU fans? No more mentioning 6 National Titles! xrolleyesx

at least GSU had the courtesy to spread them out a bit allowing for new new material. xrolleyesx xnodx

IndianaAppMan
June 11th, 2008, 01:30 PM

I can see where you're coming from. Don't worry. Once football season starts, all that will matter is that one season. If we don't pull it off again this year, you won't hear me saying to the champs' fans (or to fans whose team eliminates us), "yeah, but we had three straight." xrolleyesx That would be beyond lame.

As an FSU fan, as much as I want to tell Gator fans about how Bobby beat the "genius" Spurrier 8 of 13 times, or that we have had an undefeated season and the Gators haven't, I know that's lame because it's not relevant to today's games. Of course it will always be something to hang our hat on, but not in a way that tries to overshadow the here-and-now.

But... until someone knocks us off, I don't think the Appalachian threads are going away...xrotatehx

SideLine Shooter
June 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
There is a whole lot of jealousy and envy out there, don't you think. xnodx xnodx

AppAlum2003
June 11th, 2008, 01:40 PM
at least GSU had the courtesy to spread them out a bit allowing for new new material. xrolleyesx xnodx

I'll tell Armanti to "slow things down" next time next time I see him! xlolx

GreatAppSt
June 11th, 2008, 01:47 PM
You should be banned for dragging this dusty piece of crap thread up again.xnonono2x xmadxxlolx xlolx it was good for a laugh

APPALACHIANstate
June 11th, 2008, 02:23 PM
Oh come on, without people bringing these threads back we would have the old boring threads.

I know it gets old, but my driver Harvick can't find victory lane, my teams QB for my watching football life just retired. I need something to brag about.

BEAR
June 11th, 2008, 05:03 PM
Actually I responded to stir up some conversation...it's the duldrums...7 on 7 high school camps are boring...looks like it worked.

C'mon August....we need some football...xthumbsupx

...oh yeah...congrats APP...I heard you won a big game...or two..xwhistlex xlolx

As for UCA not winning championships, guess we won't find out until 2010 or 2011. Yeah, transition sucks worse than the duldrums.

GoGuins
June 11th, 2008, 05:33 PM
No way ASU has a chance in hell against the mighty Maize N Blue @ the Big House

Michigan 125
ASU 3

:) :D :) :D :) :D :)

phillyAPP
June 11th, 2008, 05:40 PM
No way ASU has a chance in hell against the mighty Maize N Blue @ the Big House

Michigan 125
ASU 3

:) :D :) :D :) :D :)

Guins -- Want to bet an APP Avitar for the season ?

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Tell Roger Kelly to get out from under the docks.

GoGuins
June 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM

I'm never betting against APP again Iggy:)

I've been trolling Guilford quite a bit already and no sign of Roger yet

TheValleyRaider
June 11th, 2008, 09:19 PM

I'm with Guins

No way App beats Michigan in Ann Arbor this September xcoolx :p