PDA

View Full Version : CAA Media Day

Col Hogan
July 24th, 2007, 09:21 AM
The first CAA Football Media day is tomorrow at the ESPNZone in Baltimore...

Is anyone out there planning to attend? I'm thinking of taking a few hours off and jumping up there, but may not know until tomorrow early AM...

Everything starts at 10AM, but the meat of the procedings get underway at 1:15PM with Commissioner Yeager, UMass Coach Don Brown, and the announcement of Preseason all-conference teams, etc...

hens21a
July 24th, 2007, 09:27 AM
I don't get off of work until 2pm or I would be there.

andy7171
July 24th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Interesting. Right next door to my office. I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can make it over there.

UncleSam
July 24th, 2007, 09:45 AM
The new TV deal is expected to be announced tomorrow as well:

CAA football, along with it's television partners, CN8 and Comcast SportsNet plan to release it's 2007 Television Broadcast Schedule which will feature the largest number of broadcasts for any FCS conference in the county.

CN8 will also be partnering with the CAA to originate the taping of television preview show for the upcoming season, scheduled to air twice prior to the season, Aug. 19th, 8pm and Aug. 25th, 9pm.

http://www.caasports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=48484&SPID=4660&DB_OEM_ID=8500&ATCLID=1136610

89Hen
July 24th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Interesting. Right next door to my office. I'll have to check my schedule to see if I can make it over there.
Uhhh, hello? You better walk the 100 yards. xmadx

I've had it set in my Outlook to go up... I think there's a decent chance I'll make it. Mrs89 was going to take the kids down to the pony swim in Chincoteague tomorrow but now she's balking. If she does, I will definitely go up to Charm City for the event.

andy7171
July 24th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Uhhh, hello? You better walk the 100 yards. xmadx

I've had it set in my Outlook to go up... I think there's a decent chance I'll make it. Mrs89 was going to take the kids down to the pony swim in Chincoteague tomorrow but now she's balking. If she does, I will definitely go up to Charm City for the event.
Um yeah. :o Well actually I've been working on site over at City Hall not the WTC but 3 blocks/100yds is still inexcusable. Its the 10am to 3pm block of time that's a big chunk of my day. xcoffeex

What goes on at these things anyway?

89Hen
July 24th, 2007, 11:19 AM
It's at the ESPN Zone... a reason to have beer and wings in the middle of a work day. xthumbsupx

Col Hogan
July 24th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Um yeah. :o Well actually I've been working on site over at City Hall not the WTC but 3 blocks/100yds is still inexcusable. Its the 10am to 3pm block of time that's a big chunk of my day. xcoffeex

From 10am to I think 11:45, players and Coaches are there to meet and interview (Media Day, D'uh)

Then, a buffet lunch...

At 1:15, The Commish speaks, then Coach Brown, then all sorts of announcements like pre-season teams, polls, TV contacts announcements...

If I get out, I'll try to get there about noon for wings and beer, then the announcement stuff...

redspider
July 24th, 2007, 02:02 PM
CAA football, along with it's television partners, CN8 and Comcast SportsNet plan to release it's 2007 Television Broadcast Schedule which will feature the largest number of broadcasts for any FCS conference in the county.

CN8 will also be partnering with the CAA to originate the taping of television preview show for the upcoming season, scheduled to air twice prior to the season, Aug. 19th, 8pm and Aug. 25th, 9pm.

I love the fact that we will get to see more CAA football and CN8 work because it can be seen free online to all and on TV if you got comcast.
GO Spiders!!!!

JMU Duke Dog
July 24th, 2007, 02:06 PM
I wonder what crazy things will be quoted from the mouth JMU's Mickey Matthews! xchinscratchx

89Hen
July 24th, 2007, 02:10 PM
I love the fact that we will get to see more CAA football and CN8 work because it can be seen free online to all and on TV if you got comcast.
I was planning on getting FIOS this month but I had the sudden realization just this morning that if I do, I wouldn't get CN8 anymore. I think I'll switch in January.

GannonFan
July 24th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I was planning on getting FIOS this month but I had the sudden realization just this morning that if I do, I wouldn't get CN8 anymore. I think I'll switch in January.

At least if you go FIOS for the internet connection too you can just watch CN8 online.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
July 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Same here - Sad that I am staying with Comcast for CSN and CN8...

DTSpider
July 24th, 2007, 05:43 PM
UR has announced that they have 5 games on TV and has included the CAA TV schedule in the 2007 recruiting guide http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/rich/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/fb-media-07.pdf

DTSpider
July 24th, 2007, 05:51 PM
UR's recruiting guide also mentions 4 players are presasion all-CAA (Horton, Logan, Shields & Silver). Mentioned that UMass has 7 & JMU has 5. I'm guessing that there is probably a 1st & 2nd team, but no clue the breakdown.

DTSpider
July 24th, 2007, 05:53 PM

Went to FIOS last January. At the time the CAA had mentioned they were going to use MASN instead of CSN or CN8. I guess I'll just have to go to someone else's house to watch.

umassfan
July 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM
UR's recruiting guide also mentions 4 players are presasion all-CAA (Horton, Logan, Shields & Silver). Mentioned that UMass has 7 & JMU has 5. I'm guessing that there is probably a 1st & 2nd team, but no clue the breakdown.

Hmm someone seems to think UMass shouldnt miss a beat from last season xnodx

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Some of that schedule will not look good for the conference. Towson has four home games on TV, and averages about 3500 a game. I wonder how these calls were made? It doesn't help the conference to show empty stadiums on TV. Highlight has to be Hofstra @ Towson on Oct. 13.xthumbsdownx

DTSpider
July 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM
All the games at Towson are on CSN. Not sure if that had any impact. At least Towson has a better field than before.

GannonFan
July 24th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Some of that schedule will not look good for the conference. Towson has four home games on TV, and averages about 3500 a game. I wonder how these calls were made? It doesn't help the conference to show empty stadiums on TV. Highlight has to be Hofstra @ Towson on Oct. 13.xthumbsdownx

You can't use how full the stadium will look as the main determinant, or you would automatically default to Delaware every game, even the past two when the Hens haven't been too good. The vast majority of FCS stadiums look paltry in terms of attendance, some much worse than others. It's just a fact of life. IMO, it doesn't really take away from the quality of the game.

Tribe4SF
July 24th, 2007, 10:40 PM
You can't use how full the stadium will look as the main determinant, or you would automatically default to Delaware every game, even the past two when the Hens haven't been too good. The vast majority of FCS stadiums look paltry in terms of attendance, some much worse than others. It's just a fact of life. IMO, it doesn't really take away from the quality of the game.

Of course it's not the main determinant. But four home games? And what are the determinants?

And while you're at it...get off your perennial high horse.

Dukie95
July 25th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Wow...the CAA North is really getting the shaft. Out of those 20 non-ESPN games, only 13 appearances by the CAA North with URI, NU and Maine only getting one game each.

But, this could be less about leaving out the north and more about CN8 being a Philly station, since Nova and UD have 11 appearances between the two of them.

Team Games
UD 6
Nova 5
UR 5
TU 5
JMU 4
Umass 4
UNH 4
WM 2
HU 2
Maine 1
NU 1
URI 1

GannonFan
July 25th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Of course it's not the main determinant. But four home games? And what are the determinants?

And while you're at it...get off your perennial high horse.

What high horse? You lamented games being played in stadiums that don't look very full and that being a bad image to put on TV and I said if they used that criteria a lot of schools wouldn't get much air time. What did I say that was incorrect???

GannonFan
July 25th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Wow...the CAA North is really getting the shaft. Out of those 20 non-ESPN games, only 13 appearances by the CAA North with URI, NU and Maine only getting one game each.

But, this could be less about leaving out the north and more about CN8 being a Philly station, since Nova and UD have 11 appearances between the two of them.

Team Games
UD 6
Nova 5
UR 5
TU 5
JMU 4
Umass 4
UNH 4
WM 2
HU 2
Maine 1
NU 1
URI 1

Actually, it's not that bad of a distribution, except for the lack of Maine and NU games since one of those teams could be a real dark horse this year. I'm not broken up over not seeing more URI games, and 7 of the 12 teams are on at least 4 times so it's not terribly skewed.

TigerFan17
July 25th, 2007, 09:14 AM
The Hofstra/Towson games have been fun to watch. Lots of points. People like points. People also like pretty fields...we have one now. Besides, we got minimal coverage historically. Perhaps out Pres/AD just campaigned to get time better.

If we were dishing out games based on attendance, they'd televise UD's entire home sched, a few home games of JMU/WM, and nothing else. Someone's grapes are sour. xbawlingx

YoUDeeMan
July 25th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Someone's grapes are sour. xbawlingx

xconfusedx