PDA

View Full Version : NBA problem or sports problem?

GSU Just One More Time
July 23rd, 2007, 10:17 PM
Hearing about the problems in the NBA. It makes me think how easy this could be a NCAA problem. Not just in Basketball but in BS or FCS? Just wanted to get some feed back from the elders. Not that I think it is going on but does College Football have measures in place to look for it?

ysuallthetime
July 24th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I think the government has to put its foot down on all illegal sports betting. I have no problem with Vegas or if Atlantic City or anywhere else wanted to start sports books. If it is done correctly the harm will be minimal. However local bookies and online gambling are ILLEGAL, and way too easy to access. I would like to see the government do more to do away with offshore sports books, and organized crime taking sports bets. It's not good for anyone besides the organization that's running it.

walliver
July 24th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Hearing about the problems in the NBA. It makes me think how easy this could be a NCAA problem. Not just in Basketball but in BS or FCS? Just wanted to get some feed back from the elders. Not that I think it is going on but does College Football have measures in place to look for it?

As long as there is money involved, people will try to beat the system.xnodx As far as college football, instant replay for the big TV games makes referee cheating difficult ... and there is very little money riding on the other games. If you see bad officiating at a FCS game, it is probably just bad officiating.xnodx

mcveyrl
July 24th, 2007, 07:52 AM
I heard that on Mondays the NFL looks at all the previous days games and looks at crucial calls that are at or near the point spread. I would think that most of the BCS conferences also do this, but don't know for sure.

I think there's more of a possibility that college athletes are shaving points rather than pro athletes. Most pro athletes won't risk their career (and millions of dollars) by throwing a game or shaving points.