PDA

View Full Version : List the great Rivalry games here in FCS

SU Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
I went to a site that listed all of the rilvaries in FBS, but listed no FCS games, and on top of that the list was called "The best Rilvaries in College Football" WTF!!?!?!?!xconfusedx No Havard/Yale, no Furman/App State, no Southern/Grambling. So what I've decided to is to make a list of the best rilvary games in FCS and I need you guys help. Give the title, if there is one, and some unique features that set the game apart from others.xthumbsupx

Go...gate
July 23rd, 2007, 12:41 PM
Lafayette vs. Lehigh - College Football's most-played rivalry

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2007, 12:45 PM
NDSU/UND

SDSU/USD

Both played over 110 times (I think).

SU Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
Southern vs Grambling
"The Bayou Classic"
The State Farm Bayou Classic is the annual college football game between the Grambling State University Tigers and the Southern University Jaguars, first held in 1974 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, Louisiana. Since 1978 the game has been held the final Saturday in November at the Louisiana Superdome. A Waterford crystal trophy is awarded to the winning school. The game has had State Farm Insurance as its primary sponsor since 1996.

Southern leads the series 17-16, and claims the longest winning streak, 8 games from 1993-2000.

Of the many festivities, the most well-known and well-attended is the Battle Of The Bands, where both schools' marching bands (the Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band and the Southern University Marching Band, also known as the Human Jukebox) stage elaborately choreographed performances at halftime and before and following the game.

The attracts fans from all across the US and its a big family and class reunion that is centered around Thanksgiving. The city of New Orleans recieves a huge economic boost from the classic.

AggieFinn
July 23rd, 2007, 12:58 PM
UC Davis vs. Sacramento State (we hate each other)
UC Davis vs. Cal Poly (more friendly and competitive rivalry)

http://www.csus.edu/pubaf/journal/fall2003/images/GAMEfixed.jpg

eqtmgr
July 23rd, 2007, 01:37 PM
Northeastern v. UMass
Northeastern v. UNH

My first post, woohoo!

Dane96
July 23rd, 2007, 01:51 PM
Granted...it would be new to this board but:

Albany-Stony Brook (I hate you guys ;) ) No really, I hate them.
Albany-CCSU- Building quite the rivalry

813Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
Southern vs Grambling
"The Bayou Classic"
The State Farm Bayou Classic is the annual college football game between the Grambling State University Tigers and the Southern University Jaguars, first held in 1974 at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans, Louisiana. Since 1978 the game has been held the final Saturday in November at the Louisiana Superdome. A Waterford crystal trophy is awarded to the winning school. The game has had State Farm Insurance as its primary sponsor since 1996.

Southern leads the series 17-16, and claims the longest winning streak, 8 games from 1993-2000.

Of the many festivities, the most well-known and well-attended is the Battle Of The Bands, where both schools' marching bands (the Grambling State University Tiger Marching Band and the Southern University Marching Band, also known as the Human Jukebox) stage elaborately choreographed performances at halftime and before and following the game.

The attracts fans from all across the US and its a big family and class reunion that is centered around Thanksgiving. The city of New Orleans recieves a huge economic boost from the classic.
The best part about it is how it divides people. I used to go with my cousin every year, he was at Grambling and I was at Southern, we would sit by each other and talk trash all game long. My father's best friend was a HUGE Grambling Fan, he would call us every Sunday after a Classic in the 80's. xbawlingx

WMTribe90
July 23rd, 2007, 02:00 PM
William & Mary vs. Richmond

This is billed as the "South's Oldest Rivalry" and is the fourth oldest rivalry in all of college football after 116 meetings. The series stands at 59-52-5 in WM's favor. The winner takes home the I-64 Trophy named after the short stretch of highway that seperates Richmond and Williamsburg, VA. Almost always the last game of the season and a conference match-up in the CAA.

carney2
July 23rd, 2007, 02:26 PM
Here's a Top 10 to fight about.

1. Lafayette vs. Lehigh
1a. Harvard vs. Yale
3. Grambling vs. Southern
4. Richmond vs. William & Mary
5. Furman vs. Appalachian State
6. Citadel vs. VMI
7. Maine vs. New Hampshire
8. Cornell vs. Pennsylvania
9. Montana vs. Montana State
10. North Dakota vs. North Dakota State

Mountaineer2825
July 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Furman / App State (Furman leads 21-13-3)
Western Carolina / App State (Battle for the Old Mountain Jug - App State leads 52-18-1)
Georgia Southern / App State

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM

1. Lafayette vs. Lehigh
1a. Harvard vs. Yale
6. Citadel vs. VMI

I don't know how you could put Furman-App State, Richmond -M, Maine-UNH, Cornell-Penn ABOVE Montana-Montana State

Keep in mind there is nothing else in the state and the ENTIRE state shuts down on this day!! Griz-Cat should be tied at #1. Homer or not.

McNeese72
July 23rd, 2007, 03:00 PM
Our biggest most bitterest rival isn't in the FCS. :(

But we are playing them for the first time in over 25 years on Sept. 15. The trash talking on our messageboard started right after the game was announced and is steadily getting worse by day. Should be real nasty before the game gets here. :)

At one time back in the seventies, it was rated in the top ten of the best college football rivalries in the nation (which included all the big boys, too). Can't remember if it was Playboy or SI that had the story.

Doc

89Hen
July 23rd, 2007, 03:09 PM

1. Lafayette vs. Lehigh
1a. Harvard vs. Yale
6. Citadel vs. VMI
Zounds, I think UM/MSU has to be in the top 5 at worst and Maine-UNH? xeyebrowx
IMO it's...
Lafayette vs. Lehigh
Harvard vs. Yale
Grambling vs. Southern
Montana vs. Montana State
all tied for #1 and everything a distant runner-up. xtwocentsx

carney2
July 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
I don't know how you could put Furman-App State, Richmond -M, Maine-UNH, Cornell-Penn ABOVE Montana-Montana State

Keep in mind there is nothing else in the state and the ENTIRE state shuts down on this day!! Griz-Cat should be tied at #1. Homer or not.

One man's opinion and I gotta say that the Montana vs. Montana State game has never been on my radar screen.

MplsBison
July 23rd, 2007, 03:18 PM
No way is Lehigh/Laf #1.

You get props for having the most played game, but most played doesn't mean best.

Go...gate
July 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM
Cornell vs. Colgate

Princeton vs. Yale

Princeton vs. Pennsylvania

Georgetown vs. Fordham

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 03:35 PM
One man's opinion and I gotta say that the Montana vs. Montana State game has never been on my radar screen.

Come WEST of the Mississippi and I guarantee you'll have 400 times more people paying attention to Griz-Cat than Maine-UNH or Richmond-WM. Actually several cities on the east coast get over 200 fans for UM-MSU viewing parties.

Tod
July 23rd, 2007, 04:25 PM
Come WEST of the Mississippi and I guarantee you'll have 400 times more people paying attention to Griz-Cat than Maine-UNH or Richmond-WM. Actually several cities on the east coast get over 200 fans for UM-MSU viewing parties.

We went to Coach's Bar in Albuquerque for the last two, and had about 80 fans at each, I'd guesstimate.

Good times! xnodx xnodx xnodx

Tilldog40
July 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
For a little while NU and BU used to be great rivals, and NU/Maine used to have bad blood.

Grizalltheway
July 23rd, 2007, 04:31 PM

And people say there's no east-coast bias on here. xrolleyesx xcoffeex

Tod
July 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
32 states and DC are covered! Only Montana (well, ya know) and Oklahoma (ok, and Hawaii) don't have satellite parties out of those states west of the Mississippi.

I'd love to have an estimate on how many people attend these.

http://www.umontanaalumni.org/index.asp/fuseaction/CMS.main/c/BB8EE3B0-89BD-4F09-BFA4-FDB30221BA46

blueballs
July 23rd, 2007, 04:36 PM
GSU/Furman...

...have only played less than 20 times but it seems like every game was huge. They have played for the title twice, in the semis once, both ranked in the top 5 several times, and for the SoCon title a few times.

The stadium, whether in Greenville or the 'Boro, is always packed and the games are usually very close. The fans have a strong dislike but mutual respect.

MPLSGRIZZLY
July 23rd, 2007, 04:53 PM
32 states and DC are covered! Only Montana (well, ya know) and Oklahoma (ok, and Hawaii) don't have satellite parties out of those states west of the Mississippi.

I'd love to have an estimate on how many people attend these.

http://www.umontanaalumni.org/index.asp/fuseaction/CMS.main/c/BB8EE3B0-89BD-4F09-BFA4-FDB30221BA46

I have watched the Griz-Cat game from Vegas, Phoenix, and Minnepolis. In Vegas and Phoenix there were easily over 200 people, and last year in Minneapolis there were probably about 100.

I have been to many Griz-Cat games and they are very intense. I believe they have been playing since 1897.

I have also been to 4 UND-NDSU games. This is also a great rivalry but the truth is it's just not as fun to watch indoor football.

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
I have watched the Griz-Cat game from Vegas, Phoenix, and Minnepolis. In Vegas and Phoenix there were easily over 200 people, and last year in Minneapolis there were probably about 100.

I have been to many Griz-Cat games and they are very intense. I believe they have been playing since 1897.

I have also been to 4 UND-NDSU games. This is also a great rivalry but the truth is it's just not as fun to watch indoor football.

I watched the 05 and 06 Griz-Cat games in Eugene and Portland. At the Portland viewing party there were easily over 150 people.

TheBisonator
July 23rd, 2007, 05:48 PM
NDSU/UND

SDSU/USD

Both played over 110 times (I think).

Those are Division II rivalries, not FCS rivalries...xnonono2x

NE MT GRIZZ
July 23rd, 2007, 05:50 PM
I watched the 98 Griz-Cat game at Brooklyn's in Denver and there were close to 600 there.

NDSUFREAK
July 23rd, 2007, 06:01 PM
Those are Division II rivalries, not FCS rivalries...xnonono2x

But will again find themselves in FCS again.....NDSU/und is classified as none other but a hate hate hate relationship. 3 hates because
1. NDSU hates und
2. und hates NDSU
3. NDSU fan hates someone that will cheer for und at all and vise versa with und. for example, Montana cheers for und when the 2 teams play. NDSU hates Montana. :D :D

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 06:15 PM
I'll take a crack at it. Top 3 are all arguable.

1. Montana-Montana State
2. Lehigh-Lafayette
3. Southern-Grambling
4. Harvard-Yale
5. GSU-App State / GSU-Furman (depending on the year)
6. Furman-App State
7. Citadel-VMI
8. EKU-WKU
9. SHSU-SFA
10. NDSU-SDSU

Honorable mention:
Delaware-UMass, Delaware-Nova, JMU-W&M, ASU-WCU, Sac State-UC Davis, Youngstown State-UNI, Richmond-W&M, Penn-Princeton

Future Top 10:
NDSU-UND

Eyes of Old Main
July 23rd, 2007, 06:32 PM
Some rivalries are constant (Montana/Montana State, Georgia Southern/Furman, Lafayette/Lehigh).

Some used to be bigger than they are now (Appalachian State/Western Carolina, Harvard/Yale).

Some are bigger now because both teams are good (Furman/Appalachian State).

Wofford doesn't have any rivalries that are strong on both sides. Furman fams always big time us and say they don't care (that's OK, we know you do), Georgia Southern fans can't stand losing to us but focus the displeasure at their Athletic Dept. and not us, when I was at Wofford we really cared about Presbyterian but after 10+ years of not playing them, I don't think we really care much about them anymore. The Citadel gets jacked up about playing Wofford but that's more a product of our ownership of them over the last 8 years than them caring about our team.

GaSouthern
July 23rd, 2007, 06:43 PM
GSU vs. FU
GSU vs. ASU
ASU vs. FU

The Big Three playing the Big Three Games!

terrierbob
July 23rd, 2007, 06:49 PM
PC, Wofford, and Newberry used to be the "Little Three", if I'm not mistaken. They were big games in the NAIA days. Furman and the Citadel were always big to us. My wife is a Psychologist, and I think I recall her mentioning something called "intermittent reinforcement". In the case of Wofford and Furman, we win just enough to keep us thinking we'll beat them the next time.

Appaholic
July 23rd, 2007, 06:52 PM
I'll take a crack at it. Top 3 are all arguable.

1. Montana-Montana State
2. Lehigh-Lafayette
3. Southern-Grambling
4. Harvard-Yale
5. GSU-App State / GSU-Furman (depending on the year)
6. Furman-App State
7. Citadel-VMI
8. EKU-WKU
9. SHSU-SFA
10. NDSU-SDSU

Honorable mention:
Delaware-UMass, Delaware-Nova, JMU-W&M, ASU-WCU, Sac State-UC Davis, Youngstown State-UNI, Richmond-W&M, Penn-Princeton

Future Top 10:
NDSU-UND

xhomerx xhomerx

DuckDuckGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 06:54 PM
xhomerx xhomerx

Yeah. But like I said, the top 3 are all arguable. And whether you're a homer or not, UM-MSU deserves a spot in there.

Appaholic
July 23rd, 2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah. But like I said, the top 3 are all arguable. And whether you're a homer or not, UM-MSU deserves a spot in there.

Agreed...xthumbsupx

(and I'm a proud Homer myself)

SeattleGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
We went to Coach's Bar in Albuquerque for the last two, and had about 80 fans at each, I'd guesstimate.

Good times! xnodx xnodx xnodx

The satellite parties I used to attend in Phoenix had about 250 fans for the "Brawl".

GOKATS
July 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM

You've definitely got the right game, but you folks in dark pink are dyslexic-

it's Cat/Griz!!

xbangx xbangx xbangx xnodx

Eyes of Old Main
July 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
PC, Wofford, and Newberry used to be the "Little Three", if I'm not mistaken. They were big games in the NAIA days.

Correct. Wofford, PC, Newberry and Erskine formed the South Carolina Little Four Conference in 1946. Erskine dropped out after 1951 and it carried on as the South Carolina Little Three until 1964 when the whole thing folded. During that span, Wofford dominated the conference winning or sharing the conference title 12 times. By comparison, PC won/shared 7, Newberry 4 and Erskine 0. Kind of cool trivia that I am surprised Wofford doesn't play up more.

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM

East coast bias......:D

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2007, 09:54 PM

it's Cat/Griz!!

.....and has ALWAYS been Cat/Griz. My family members who are griz fans say the same thing.....my assertion is not unfounded.

As far as rivalries are concerned, MSU/UM is definitely a #1 candidate. It is one of the oldest rivalries in college football (first game was November 26, 1897. Like DDG said, the entire state shuts down for this game. Almost nobody works, because the TV's are all on this game. Lately this game has meant alot more than just legitimate bragging rights. This game has had implications on the BSC title as well as the playoffs for the past few years. You wanna see some hard hits? Go find the UM/MSU game on the net. This is one the juciest rivalries EVER.

Did I mention that it is supposed to be Cat/Griz?

Grizalltheway
July 23rd, 2007, 09:57 PM

it's Cat/Griz!!

Shouldn't the team with the most wins (by far) in the rivalry be listed first? I'll say it however I damn well please, thank you. xazzx xpeacex

MACHIAVELLI
July 23rd, 2007, 10:11 PM
30. Bayou Classic (November, New Orleans). It may not have the high-ranked teams of other rivalries, but the Classic matches two legendary football powers (Grambling and Southern), adds the Battle of the Bands and crams it all into one weekend in New Orleans. It certainly beats a Saturday afternoon in Norman, Okla.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...e=caple/070625

CopperCat
July 23rd, 2007, 10:15 PM
Shouldn't the team with the most wins (by far) in the rivalry be listed first? I'll say it however I damn well please, thank you. xazzx xpeacex

I guess its okay, 1st amendment rights protect those who are wrong too.....:D

catbob
July 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM
Hell, we should be #1 on the fact that we argue on the name of the game! haha

For the record, both my parents were huge UM fans back in their college days (well actually all the way until I broke family tradition and came to MSU, now they cheer for both about equally, but I think they pull for UM when it comes crunch time), and they always referred to it as Cat/Griz, and we lived in Missoula for a long time.

AndrewFU21
July 23rd, 2007, 10:25 PM
Wofford doesn't have any rivalries that are strong on both sides. Furman fams always big time us and say they don't care (that's OK, we know you do)

Furman fans do care, and the rivalry is no doubt getting more intense, but you can't deny that Wofford cares more about Furman than vice versa. When I went to WoCo to go to a party my freshman year, my buddy was wearing a Furman shirt and got all kinds of ***** for it from Wofford students. We also heard several people comment on the upcoming game between our two schools. If you were to wear a Wofford shirt through Furman's campus, it probably wouldn't be noticed.

FU doesn't really have any one particular rival that stands out, but rather several that go through hot and cold spells. Citadel used to be the big one, but that grew less competitive, and they seem to care more about the VMI game these days. GSU and ASU are big games, depending on who is playing well. Wofford is growing more heated, and with the proximity it will probably continue to do so. I don't know though- you guys are to much like us for me to really hate y'all :D . I'd much rather spread my hate to Appies, Bellhops and Eaglesxsmiley_wix

813Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 10:36 PM
My niece learned at an early age to not like Grambling. In my parents house you either liked Southern or you LOVED Southern. Nothing more nothing less. You want to see fireworks come to Baton Rouge if Southern loses the Classic. xlolx

terrierbob
July 23rd, 2007, 10:39 PM
Correct. Wofford, PC, Newberry and Erskine formed the South Carolina Little Four Conference in 1946. Erskine dropped out after 1951 and it carried on as the South Carolina Little Three until 1964 when the whole thing folded. During that span, Wofford dominated the conference winning or sharing the conference title 12 times. By comparison, PC won/shared 7, Newberry 4 and Erskine 0. Kind of cool trivia that I am surprised Wofford doesn't play up more.

If you're really BORED:

http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/data/conference_champs/champions.php?conid=172

YoUDeeMan
July 23rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
Hey, I'm thinking that UD-Montana rivalry is the best. xsmiley_wix

UD is up 1-0! xthumbsupx

UD 49-48 Montana, in Grizzyworld! "BRAWK!" xnodx

ngineer
July 23rd, 2007, 10:51 PM

1. Lafayette vs. Lehigh
1a. Harvard vs. Yale
6. Citadel vs. VMI

We already won this vote a couple months ago on the National Football Foundation website....xcoffeex xcoolx

Grizalltheway
July 23rd, 2007, 10:52 PM
Hell, we should be #1 on the fact that we argue on the name of the game! haha

For the record, both my parents were huge UM fans back in their college days (well actually all the way until I broke family tradition and came to MSU, now they cheer for both about equally, but I think they pull for UM when it comes crunch time), and they always referred to it as Cat/Griz, and we lived in Missoula for a long time.

For the record, I usually say cat/griz as well, except when I want to irritate kitty fans. :D

bulldog10jw
July 23rd, 2007, 10:53 PM
http://www.the-game.org/programs/Harvard-Yale-Football-Program-1977.jpg

GeeWiz
July 23rd, 2007, 11:05 PM
Here's my best rivalries in FCS that I know of, however, I'm sure there are other rivalries across the nation I'm missing ...

Lehigh-Lafayette
Southern-Grambling
Harvard-Yale
Penn-Harvard
Penn-Princeton
GSU-App State and/or GSU-Furman
Furman-App State
Citadel-VMI
Delaware-UMass
JMU-W&M
UMass-UMaine and/or UMass-UNH
Montana-Montana St.
Northern Iowa-Western Ill.

Tilldog40, I agree with you that NU-BU used to be a good rivalry, however, until NU joined the old Yankee Conference in 1993, NU-BU had stopped playing each other.

Otherwise NU really doesn't have a "true" rival IMO. We have bad records against most of our New England brethren.

BTW, being that I live in the Bronx, I like that fact that Fordham and Columbia have met the last few years! I'd like to see Hofstra play one of those teams too.

Johnny5
July 24th, 2007, 01:56 AM
Youngstown State-UNI

I am going to say not a rivalry until it is competitive record wise.

WCU LawCat
July 24th, 2007, 02:24 AM
Sports Illustrated's biggest rivalry you have never heard of IS....The Jug

Western Carolina vs Appalachain State.

It is a much bigger deal than many across the country realize. Yes App has won most of the games. In 2005 it set a new App attendance record. In 2006 It became WCU's second most all time attended game (IN THE POURING DOWN RAIN). For some fans it is a real dislike for the other. For others it is a true friendly rivalry because the schools are very similar. WCU just has not been able to put it together on the football field in a long time. AND IF ANY APP FANS TRY TO SAY IT ISN'T A RIVALRY THEN WHY DOES JERRY MOORE CALL THE XY BOMB (TECMO SUBERBOWL STYLE) IN 2004 IN CULLOWHEE IN THE CLOSING MINUTES WITH THE GAME "OUT OF REACH?"

App and Furman is big but it was not nearly as big until the "go for 2" disaster in my opinion. That rivalry became bigger on that one play. Lamb going out into the middle of the field on national television didn't slow it down either.

SoCon48
July 24th, 2007, 04:27 AM
1. With the ball on their own 27 and long yardage what else do you do. QB sneak?
2. Must not have been out of reach since WCU won 30-27.

OL FU
July 24th, 2007, 06:59 AM
It has been said here before if Furman has a true historic rivalry it is The Citadel. Military vs Liberal Arts. State school versus private. Upstate versus low country. Since WWII the big game in the state was Clemson versus Carolina. I don't remember when the classifications took place but before I-AA, FU and The Citadel were ( I think) the only other two D-I schools in SC. It was a nasty rivalry complete with true stories and urban legends of midnight campus raids and blinded horses, etc. As said before, it has died away some due to Furman's dominance and the Citadel's VMI rivalry.

GSU from an intensity standpoint took The Citadel's place and for the reasons stated before , the first two games being for NCs. It doesn't have the historical basis of the Citadel. However, I think it is a rivalry based more on competitiveness than typical regional or other rivalry reasons.

ASU - I am not sure ASU would really be considered a rival (in he classic sense of the word). No doubt there is intense dislike and at times it seems like a rivalry. It might be said over the last thirty years, the two teams have been the most competitively equal in the SoCon. But I would not call it a rivalry as we of speak here. On the other hand, when you are on top like ASU is now everybody is your rivalxnodx

Over the years the Wofford rivalry will increase and may become the main one. It is a little difficult for some of us ( and don't take this the wrong way) to consider Wofford a rival after years of playing them as an NAIA and then D-II school. That does not mean that those old people like me don't appreciate the ability and competitiveness of Wofford, but old memories take a little while to die. Also, you need to beat us more than once every ten years or so:p

Hopefully with the impending rise of The Citadelxrolleyesx , that one will heat back up againxnodx

andy7171
July 24th, 2007, 08:32 AM
I haven't seen any mention of Delaware - West Chester.

Pard94
July 24th, 2007, 08:33 AM
No way is Lehigh/Laf #1.

You get props for having the most played game, but most played doesn't mean best.

Well, I suppose if that's your opinion then it must be true. History books be damned MplsBison has spoken.xrolleyesx

GannonFan
July 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM

Which for Delaware is actually their longest played rival. Of course, the only team that Delaware sees as their real rival (i.e. we hate them) is stinkin' nova. We don't like them, they don't like us, and that's the way we prefer it. xthumbsupx

OL FU
July 24th, 2007, 08:40 AM
We all know the best rivalry is the one in which your team participatesxnodx

89Hen
July 24th, 2007, 11:18 AM
That's because the article wasn't written by the UD AD. :p

I could see UD-Towson developing into something pretty good. Especially if you keep beating us. xmadx

andy7171
July 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
That's because the article wasn't written by the UD AD. :p

I could see UD-Towson developing into something pretty good. Especially if you keep beating us. xmadx

If we beat you again this year, it'll be another Morgan State-like rivalry. :D

The only real team/school I really hate is JMU from my playing days. Our coaches really got us worked up over them being our rival, and at the time we were the longest running rivals on each others schedules. At least I can say I beat them my JR year. but todays series record of 5-13-1 is a pretty sad state to admit to being a rival. I doubt they think the same way about us as we do of them.

USDFAN_55
July 24th, 2007, 11:38 AM
I know this isn't an article about FCS football, but it is a good article about a little known football rivalry. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2945751&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

DrG
July 24th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Back in the Yankee Conference days, UMass' chief rival was UConn. That no longer exists, obviously, but UMass and UNH go way back and should become a fiercer rivalry over time. Any rivalry with Northeastern is simply lingering bad blood over the coach.

MACHIAVELLI
July 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
No rivals

carney2
July 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM
East coast bias......:D

And proud of it. xsmiley_wix

andy7171
July 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
And proud of it. xsmiley_wix

Exactly. If you don't like East Coast Bias, move East to where the people are. :p

SU Jag
July 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Alabama State vs Alabama A&M
The Magic City Classic(AKA The Urban Iron Bowl)
This game is the 2nd biggest rilvary game in Alabama behind Auburn/Alabama, but acording to Hornet and Bulldog fans, IT IS THE BIGGEST. The last Saturday in October these two hook up in Birmingham(The Magic City). I t is the largest sporting event in the city of Birmingham and it gives the city a HUGE economic boost. Tailgating starts on Wednesday and doesnt end til Sunday. During Classic weekend the City's population increases by over 120,000+. The game usually brings around 68,000 inside the stadium, with an estimated 30,000+ who never enter the stadium, but party in a Mardi Gras like tailgating atmosphere. A&M has won the last five. The game is usually decided by 6 points or less. The weekend is highlighted by a parade that attracts over 100,000 spectators on Saturday morning and high school bands from across the nation. Big stars such as Magic Johnson, Ludacris, Master P, and ect. make their way to Birmingham for Classic Weekend. A must see for any college football fan.xthumbsupx

http://www.themagiccityclassic.com/images/mcc_crowd_275w_125h.jpg
http://kevinr316.smugmug.com/invite/image/1373652702468e605a37f106.85905181
http://sharpy.smugmug.com/invite/image/1206834519468e5f84e94736.15754598

http://www.themagiccityclassic.com

OL FU
July 24th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Alabama State vs Alabama A&M
The Magic City Classic(AKA The Urban Iron Bowl)
This game is the 2nd biggest rilvary game in Alabama behind Auburn/Alabama, but acording to Hornet and Bulldog fans, IT IS THE BIGGEST. The last Saturday in October these two hook up in Birmingham(The Magic City). I t is the largest sporting event in the city of Birmingham and it gives the city a HUGE economic boost. Tailgating starts on Wednesday and doesnt end til Sunday. During Classic weekend the City's population increases by over 120,000+. The game usually brings around 68,000 inside the stadium, with an estimated 30,000+ who never enter the stadium, but party in a Mardi Gras like tailgating atmosphere. A&M has won the last five. The game is usually decided by 6 points or less. The weekend is highlighted by a parade that attracts over 100,000 spectators on Saturday morning and high school bands from across the nation. Big stars such as Magic Johnson, Ludacris, Master P, and ect. make their way to Birmingham for Classic Weekend. A must see for any college football fan.xthumbsupx

http://www.themagiccityclassic.com/images/mcc_crowd_275w_125h.jpg
http://kevinr316.smugmug.com/invite/image/1373652702468e605a37f106.85905181
http://sharpy.smugmug.com/invite/image/1206834519468e5f84e94736.15754598

http://www.themagiccityclassic.com

xeekx Is that tailgate parking or an RV lotxeekx xsmiley_wix

SU Jag
July 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM
xeekx Is that tailgate parking or an RV lotxeekx xsmiley_wix

Tailgating!xnodx The lot opens for RVs on Wednesday morning around 8, around 11am on Thurday the lot is full!!!!!!!xnodx Most people park in the surrounding area of the stadium. Legion Feild is in a nieghborhood so most people park infront of peoples houses. Homeewners make $$$$ that weekend, but letting people park on their lawn, or in the back somewhere!

O'yeah the tailgating pic is actually from Friday morning, one full day before kick-off!

Grizalltheway
July 24th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Exactly. If you don't like East Coast Bias, move East to where the people are. :p

...and the crowds, traffic, pollution, noise, crime...besides, I prefer sheep...xeyebrowx :o

89Hen
July 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
I prefer sheep
xeyebrowx

poly51
July 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM
Most of Cal Poly's better rivalries over the years no longer play football. (UC Santa Barbara, Cal State Northridge, Cal Poly Pomona, etc.)

Our best rivalry ever is in FBS and won't play us. (Fresno State) They would rather beat up on Sac State. They still complain about the last time they played in San Luis Obispo and got shut out 26-0.

Our best current rivalry is with UC Davis in the Horseshoe Classic. The number 1 and number 2 ag schools in California. There is no doubt about which is which.

And The Horseshoe lives in Cal Poly's Trophy case.

Grizalltheway
July 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
xeyebrowx

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26875

PaladinFan
July 24th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Furman has had a very intense rivalry with the Citadel for a long time. That is probably the "oldest" rivalry in the Soutern Conference. The FU/Citadel game is the biggest of the season for a lot of the older crowd.

Furman fans, I think, still view GSU as their main rival. Furman has a lot closer ties to the state of Georgia than they do to North Carolina. A huge portion of FU students and players come out of Atlanta. The Paladins actually have more Georgia players on their roster than South Carolina.

All of that builds up tension between GSU and Furman. I think most Furman fans see App State as what will amount to a big game with a lot of implications, but it just doesn't have the same feel as when the Eagles come calling.

AggieFinn
July 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
And The Horseshoe lives in Cal Poly's Trophy case...as of 2006, it previously resided in Davis all the way back to 2004 because we couldn't beat the transitioning Aggies the first two times. It will be returned to Davis shortly in 3 months, I'll be sad to see it go.

Fixed. :p

I CAN'T WAIT FOR HORSESHOE 2007 - IT'S GOING TO BE EPIC!!!

http://athletics.ucdavis.edu/FOOTBALL/Photo_Gallery/2005games/game08_01.jpg

SU Jag
July 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Florida A&M vs Bethune-Cookman
The Florida Classic
The Ratlers and Wilcats hook-up each november in Orlando before crowds over 71,000 strong. An intense rilvary and it has become the largest HBCU football game in the country. Its either green and orange or maroon and gold, its the marching 100 vs the Pride, its FAMU vs BCC. The game is always a close one. Another must see!
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-11/26487499.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-11/26487496.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-11/26487494.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-11/26489718.jpg
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/media/photo/2006-11/26489703.jpg
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sctm/v66/13/47/45001758/n45001758_30955426_3340.jpg
http://photos-d.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v48/13/47/45001758/n45001758_30729515_560.jpg

catbob
July 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
Can you imagine if for some magical reason there was a huge football stadium in Helena, how many people do you think would show up for a neutral site Cat/Griz game?

I would guess around 45,000. Maybe more.

Grizalltheway
July 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Can you imagine if for some magical reason there was a huge football stadium in Helena, how many people do you think would show up for a neutral site Cat/Griz game?

I would guess around 45,000. Maybe more.

I would imagine at least that many. Maybe we can get Carroll to build it. xlolx

NSUDemon98
July 24th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Our biggest most bitterest rival isn't in the FCS. :(

But we are playing them for the first time in over 25 years on Sept. 15. The trash talking on our messageboard started right after the game was announced and is steadily getting worse by day. Should be real nasty before the game gets here. :)

At one time back in the seventies, it was rated in the top ten of the best college football rivalries in the nation (which included all the big boys, too). Can't remember if it was Playboy or SI that had the story.

Doc

If you really think about it, there is no real big, intense rivalry in the Southland Conference.

Back in the 70's and early 60's Northwestern St. vs LaTech drew 45,000k at Independence Stadium.

McNeese vs. UL-L use to be big too back in the day...

Kinda sad. In my opinion the most intense rivalry in the SLC at the time is SFA-SHSU.

Mort
July 24th, 2007, 08:57 PM
.....and has ALWAYS been Cat/Griz. My family members who are griz fans say the same thing.....my assertion is not unfounded.

As far as rivalries are concerned, MSU/UM is definitely a #1 candidate. It is one of the oldest rivalries in college football (first game was November 26, 1897. Like DDG said, the entire state shuts down for this game. Almost nobody works, because the TV's are all on this game. Lately this game has meant alot more than just legitimate bragging rights. This game has had implications on the BSC title as well as the playoffs for the past few years. You wanna see some hard hits? Go find the UM/MSU game on the net. This is one the juciest rivalries EVER.

It's always been Cat/Griz or Bobcat/Grizzly and Griz fans know that. Only the insecure Griz fans refer to it as Griz/Cat.

How many rivalries have had a book written about them? Cat/Griz has. "The Divide War: Montana's Golden Treasure" by Pat Kearney.
http://www.buttebooks.com/dividewar/index.html

Here's a "Brawl of the Wild: Celebrating the 100th meeting" special insert done by the Missoulian newspaper a few years ago. By merely posting this homer job done by the Missoulian, I am demonstrating how secure I am as a Cat fan. xsmiley_wix

GOKATS
July 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM
It's always been Cat/Griz or Bobcat/Grizzly and Griz fans know that. Only the insecure Griz fans refer to it as Griz/Cat.

How many rivalries have had a book written about them? Cat/Griz has. "The Divide War: Montana's Golden Treasure" by Pat Kearney.
http://www.buttebooks.com/dividewar/index.html

Here's a "Brawl of the Wild: Celebrating the 100th meeting" special insert done by the Missoulian newspaper a few years ago. By merely posting this homer job done by the Missoulian, I am demonstrating how secure I am as a Cat fan. xsmiley_wix

I never bought into the 'Divide War' or Brawl of the Wild'- those were corporate or media hype (I think one of them was coined by the former MT Power Co., the other maybe by Missoula tv).

It's Cat/Griz, always has been, and always will be (except for those insecure grizidiots you mentioned).

Grizalltheway
July 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I never bought into the 'Divide War' or Brawl of the Wild'- those were corporate or media hype (I think one of them was coined by the former MT Power Co., the other maybe by Missoula tv).

It's Cat/Griz, always has been, and always will be (except for those insecure grizidiots you mentioned).

Give me a break. The fact that you care so much what order it's said in shows just how insecure you are in this rivalry. Although honestly I can't blame you.

GOKATS
July 24th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Give me a break. The fact that you care so much what order it's said in shows just how insecure you are in this rivalry. Although honestly I can't blame you.

Look kid, go in your mommies bathroom, get a tube of her dark pink lipstick, and write "grizidiot' on your forehead. There really should be a minimum age to be here- to rebut your next childish remark, not only I , but both of my sons are MSU alum.

FTG!

813Jag
July 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Florida A&M vs Bethune-Cookman
The Florida Classic
The Ratlers and Wilcats hook-up each november in Orlando before crowds over 71,000 strong. An intense rilvary and it has become the largest HBCU football game in the country. Its either green and orange or maroon and gold, its the marching 100 vs the Pride, its FAMU vs BCC. The game is always a close one. Another must see!
That rivalry has picked up speed since BCC got more competitive. It's too bad Tampa blew it hosting the game. Orlando is off the chain that weekend. xthumbsupx

Grizalltheway
July 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
Look kid, go in your mommies bathroom, get a tube of her dark pink lipstick, and write "grizidiot' on your forehead. There really should be a minimum age to be here- to rebut your next childish remark, not only I , but both of my sons are MSU alum.

FTG!

So you're allowed to call people insecure, but I'm not? Just because you're old enough to be my grandfather doesn't mean I can't challenge your statements. Come back when you have something halfway intelligent to say, grizidiot and FTG are getting pretty old.

JoltinJoe
July 25th, 2007, 05:20 AM
We already won this vote a couple months ago on the National Football Foundation website....xcoffeex xcoolx

Any other FCS rivalries make the list? Harvard-Yale? Southern v. Grambling?

I'd like to see our game with Georgetown get more juice. The game has been played over 50 times now. So it's not on the Lehigh/Lafayette scale but you have to start somewhere. It would help if the PL consistently allowed the game to be scheduled as the last game of the season for both teams.

MPLSGRIZZLY
July 25th, 2007, 09:51 AM

FTG!

It's quite sad, GOKATS is actually old enough to remember when MSU had a good football program so he still has hope....I bet you long for those days.

Too bad every student that has gone to MSU since the early 90's knows your program is average at best....you can't even get a coach from NAIA (Van Diest) or DII (Dale Lennon) to come to Bozeman....pathetic.

CrazyCat
July 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM
It's quite sad, GOKATS is actually old enough to remember when MSU had a good football program so he still has hope....I bet you long for those days.

Too bad every student that has gone to MSU since the early 90's knows your program is average at best....you can't even get a coach from NAIA (Van Diest) or DII (Dale Lennon) to come to Bozeman....pathetic.

What board is this? Were am I? Is this e-griz? xoopsx xoopsx xoopsx

carney2
July 25th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Any other FCS rivalries make the list? Harvard-Yale? Southern v. Grambling?

I'd like to see our game with Georgetown get more juice. The game has been played over 50 times now. So it's not on the Lehigh/Lafayette scale but you have to start somewhere. It would help if the PL consistently allowed the game to be scheduled as the last game of the season for both teams.

Amen, and one more time: What is wrong with the League office? The final Saturday should be some sort of a rivalry weekend, not just "Lafayette vs. Lehigh and the rest of you guys find something to do with yourselves." I realize that 7 does not divide by 2, but, as you say, you have to start somewhere. It seems to me that Bucknell vs. Colgate is a natural, and if Fordham vs. Georgetown already has some legs, so be it. Maybe the new guy at PL headquarters (Dougherty?) will bring some common sense in the door with him.

CrusaderBob
July 25th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Amen, and one more time: What is wrong with the League office? The final Saturday should be some sort of a rivalry weekend, not just "Lafayette vs. Lehigh and the rest of you guys find something to do with yourselves." I realize that 7 does not divide by 2, but, as you say, you have to start somewhere. It seems to me that Bucknell vs. Colgate is a natural, and if Fordham vs. Georgetown already has some legs, so be it. Maybe the new guy at PL headquarters (Dougherty?) will bring some common sense in the door with him.

If you leave Holy Cross out of a rivalry building scenario, you only give more fuel for some of our fans to hate on the PL. If someone is left out of a season ending rivalry game in the PL, it's got to be one of the associate members.

In 1986 when HC and BC played for the final time Colgate was widely mentioned as the replacement rival. It is one of the failings of the league that in 20+ years of football and 15+ years of all sports, no real rivalries have developed.

Holy Cross and Colgate have played 69 times over the years with HC leading the series 36-28-5 and so I think they should close the season each year, every year with eachother.

The HC Bucknell basketball games have had quite a bit of juice the last 3 seasons - I've been at 5 of the 9 games. I could see the PL building on that. Worst case HC should close with Fordham or Georgetown in football, with the other out in the cold.

I have long maintained that the simple way to develop a rivalry is for two rschools to play each other in the final game of the season, every year, in every sport. In short order, the schools will play some meaninful games where:

A last place team knocks the other out of the league championship.
Another team celebrates a championship on the other's home field/court.
Another whines about a poor offciating job costing them a game.
Etc.

Soon you have the women's lacrosse team, the baseball team, and the football team really disliking the other school, so they really want the basketball team to knock off the other. It builds the rivalry and school spirit.

I wish the PL would understand this and try to take advantage of it, albeit 20 years late!

Go...gate
July 25th, 2007, 07:07 PM
If you leave Holy Cross out of a rivalry building scenario, you only give more fuel for some of our fans to hate on the PL. If someone is left out of a season ending rivalry game in the PL, it's got to be one of the associate members.

In 1986 when HC and BC played for the final time Colgate was widely mentioned as the replacement rival. It is one of the failings of the league that in 20+ years of football and 15+ years of all sports, no real rivalries have developed.

Holy Cross and Colgate have played 69 times over the years with HC leading the series 36-28-5 and so I think they should close the season each year, every year with each other.

The HC Bucknell basketball games have had quite a bit of juice the last 3 seasons - I've been at 5 of the 9 games. I could see the PL building on that. Worst case HC should close with Fordham or Georgetown in football, with the other out in the cold.

I have long maintained that the simple way to develop a rivalry is for two rschools to play each other in the final game of the season, every year, in every sport. In short order, the schools will play some meaninful games where:

A last place team knocks the other out of the league championship.
Another team celebrates a championship on the other's home field/court.
Another whines about a poor offciating job costing them a game.
Etc.

Soon you have the women's lacrosse team, the baseball team, and the football team really disliking the other school, so they really want the basketball team to knock off the other. It builds the rivalry and school spirit.

I wish the PL would understand this and try to take advantage of it, albeit 20 years late!

Let's not forget that within ten years of the PL's formation, Colgate was 0-11 and HC was not much better. That is why the steak lost some of its sizzle. But Colgate and HC is a great old rivalry (indeed, a lot of older Colgate grads like me respect HC greatly because you guys would come to Hamilton to play when a lot of comparable opponents would never play us at Andy Kerr Stadium). I don't like the November date for those games, though. The series benefitted from October scheduling for many years because of the bad weather in both Worcester and Hamilton. It should stay that way.

carney2
July 25th, 2007, 07:36 PM

Didn't mean to pick on anyone or leave anyone out. Seven does not divide evenly by two, remember? Anyway, I still like Bucknell-Colgate better than Colgate-Holy Cross, but that's just me. If I had my way (and I don't even get it at home, let alone here or anywhere else that "matters") the remaining three (Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross) would rotate or "round robin" that final game of the season until an 8th team is added to the League. Perhaps the three games could all be packed into November somehow. In any event, I don't think that it would be good policy to base scheduling or other key concerns on "all sports" vs. "associate" member status. When you are in the League for football you are a full and equal member for that sport.

GeeWiz
July 25th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Which for Delaware is actually their longest played rival. Of course, the only team that Delaware sees as their real rival (i.e. we hate them) is stinkin' nova. We don't like them, they don't like us, and that's the way we prefer it. xthumbsupx

I thought UD and Mass. had a rivalry.

Why is a DII team your biggest rival? Fill me in on West Chester U. and what they bring to your schedule every year. I'm being serious.

Mr. Tiger
July 25th, 2007, 11:07 PM
I got to vote for two underrated rivalry games. Jackson State-Southern and Jackson State-Tennessee State. The JSU-Southern game is a sellout in Baton Rouge and there is always around 60,000 fans in Jackson for this one. The Southern Heritage Classic with JSU and TSU usually draws about 55,000 and both teams have a long history with each other. The game is usually close.

And Harvard-Yale, Grambling-Southern has to be on EVERYONE'S list.

JoltinJoe
July 26th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Didn't mean to pick on anyone or leave anyone out. Seven does not divide evenly by two, remember? Anyway, I still like Bucknell-Colgate better than Colgate-Holy Cross, but that's just me. If I had my way (and I don't even get it at home, let alone here or anywhere else that "matters") the remaining three (Fordham, Georgetown, Holy Cross) would rotate or "round robin" that final game of the season until an 8th team is added to the League. Perhaps the three games could all be packed into November somehow. In any event, I don't think that it would be good policy to base scheduling or other key concerns on "all sports" vs. "associate" member status. When you are in the League for football you are a full and equal member for that sport.

Fordham, Georgetown and Holy Cross -- three Jesuit schools -- should play each year for the "Loyola Cup," like the military academies play for the "Commander-in-Chief" Cup each season.

GannonFan
July 26th, 2007, 09:07 AM

Why is a DII team your biggest rival? Fill me in on West Chester U. and what they bring to your schedule every year. I'm being serious.

The UMass game is a nice game and all, but it doesn't get up to rivalry status. UMass isn't very close to Newark, we don't play them in much of anything else, and historically the series hasn't been very close (something like 22-5 in favor of UD). Like I said, it's a nice game and when both teams are good it's a big game, but it's not a rivalry game. I don't think the UMass people would say it is a rivlary game either - I'm sure they view games against NU, UNH, and even Maine as more significant.

As for West Chester, UD's been playing them for almost 50 years, and that includes when UD and West Chester were both DII (or at least small-college since the DII designation didn't come into play until the 70's). West Chester is only about 30 minutes away, there's a fair amount of people who have gone to both schools (including the former UD President who got his bachelor's degree at West Chester), they have a great band that they always bring, the game is always in Newark, and it's an easy win (although strangely, West Chester has more wins against UD than UMass does) - that's why the game has become the longest played rival. It may change in the future (current contract is only through 2009) so who knows.

But the West Chester game is not UD's biggest rival. That distinction is saved for nova - it goes back to when UD would play nova when nova was considered big time (DIA) and I think the series, after 40 some games, is virtually tied (or UD is up by a game). We hate them and all 3 of their fans hate us. Temple actually used to be Delaware's biggest rivalry game, but that petered out when Temple refused to play Delaware anymore back in the mid-80's after suffering a few consecutive losses. They said they were leaving the game behind because they had bigger and better games to play but we all know they were just plain tired of losing to little ol Delaware. :p

CSUbucFan
July 26th, 2007, 09:41 AM
i know they are both fairly new rivalry games but i look forward to more in the future between Charleston Southern and Coastal Carolina, and CSU and the Citadel in the CHUCKTOWN THROWDOWN for the city championship.

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I would imagine at least that many. Maybe we can get Carroll to build it. xlolx
Hey that's not that funny. I bet you 50 years from now, Carroll will have at least 15 more Championships and a stadium the size of Washington-Grizzly. Carroll is a power house and Helena loves them. I am a helena native and this town is growing so fast. Give 50 years for helena population and it will be 100,000 at least. So, don't be making sly jokes at Carroll...they are darn good.

Grizaholic17
July 26th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Cat/GRIZ
The tell tale sign of the best rivalry in the FCS is when the chairman people and ESPN pick your rivalry game as being the best 2007 matchup in the FCS. COuld it be because the whole state watches this game, or the tens of thousands that see it live, or just because it is hard-hitting true Montana football! It doesn't get any better than this game!

CSUBUCDAD
July 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
It is a young one, but CSU and CCU are building the makings of a storied rivalry for sure. Every year, regardless of the score, it is a knock down drag out war between them and is only going to get better with age.

bshgriz
July 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
Cat/GRIZ
The tell tale sign of the best rivalry in the FCS is when the chairman people and ESPN pick your rivalry game as being the best 2007 matchup in the FCS. COuld it be because the whole state watches this game, or the tens of thousands that see it live, or just because it is hard-hitting true Montana football! It doesn't get any better than this game!

Their really is nothing better than Montana football, be it the colleges or down to the high schools Montana kids play their hearts out.

bulldog10jw
July 29th, 2007, 01:46 AM
They're never going to let us forget. They could at least have waited a year for the 40th anniversary.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4g3NPUESYGYxqb6kW hCjhgihqYeCDFfj_zcVH1v_QD9gtzQ0IhyR0UAE3AuRw!!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfMTVL?WCM_GLOBAL_CO NTEXT=/wps/wcm/connect/NCAA/NCAA+News/NCAA+News+Online/2007/Association-wide/In+the+tie+of+the+beholder+-+07-16-07+NCAA+News

813Jag
July 29th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I got to vote for two underrated rivalry games. Jackson State-Southern and Jackson State-Tennessee State. The JSU-Southern game is a sellout in Baton Rouge and there is always around 60,000 fans in Jackson for this one. The Southern Heritage Classic with JSU and TSU usually draws about 55,000 and both teams have a long history with each other. The game is usually close.

And Harvard-Yale, Grambling-Southern has to be on EVERYONE'S list.
That's is true. I LOVE going to Jackson and I LOVE winning there even more. When you know how hard it was for us to win there it made the series even better.

skinny_uncle
July 29th, 2007, 08:00 AM
In terms of a longtime rivalry, it has to be Illinois State. This year will be the 70th game. SIU leads the series 34-32-3. This series goes back to 1929.

UncleSam
July 29th, 2007, 08:27 AM

UMass may be becoming a 'rival' for Delaware, but until very recently the series was so lopsided in favor of UD, it's was hard to consider UMass heated rival.

UD's real rival is Villanova. Temple use to be the 'game' but the series ended in the mid '80s. Lehigh was also a big rival, but now the games are too infrequent to maintain rivalry status.

West Chester is a money game (home game every year) but not a rivalry game, even thought they have more wins vs UD then does UMass. ;)

mrklean
July 29th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Georgia Southern vs. Furman
Georgia Southern vs. Appt. State

cats2506
July 29th, 2007, 12:58 PM

High schools and grade schools across the state have Cat/griz week. Kids wear team clothing and have contests. By second grade most kids have chosen a side and it is not uncommon to see parents wearing griz stuff and kids wearing Cat stuff or vise versa. Cat/grizz is BIG in Montana. Almost everyone in the state is on one side or the other, not just football fans.

Cat/grizz football, IS FOOTBALL in Montana

and it is Cat/grizz

and FTG

VT Wildcat Fan53
July 29th, 2007, 04:55 PM
I would wager that UNH vs UMASS is bigger than UNH vs UMAINE in most UNH alums' eyes. Unquestionably, the game has more often than not had League title or playoff implications since the mid-1970's. Most of Maine's wins over UNH (including the infamous "bat ball" game of 1978) could be considered upset victories with the exception of the last few years of Bowes and the 1st few years of McDonnell.

I think all of the old YC teams (UNH, UMass, UMaine, URI) have historically looked upon Delaware as a big game stemming from the Hens' tremendous domination through last 30 years of the 20th century. Still today, a win over UD is viewed as a great accomplishment -- Sort of a feather in the collective caps of Blue Hen fans, I would say.

ch0306
July 29th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I'd put Yale vs Princeton in the Top 10, ahead even of Yale - Harvard. The Bulldog vs the Tiger is college football's oldest rivalry. Granted, Lafayette and Lehigh have played more times, but only because they played each other multiple times in the same season back in the 19th century. No two teams have met on the gridiron in as many different seasons as Yale and Princeton, and since Grant was President the Y-P series has been interrupted only for WWI and WWII. Further, no college football rivarly (including Notre Dame - USC and Texas - Oklahoma) has decided the national championship so many times as Yale vs Princeton.

Maroons
July 29th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Let's start looking at this question from multiple angles with a little less bias. For instance, which of these great rivalries are the oldest? Which have been played the most times? Which have been played in front of the most fans? Which have most often determined championships?

Compiling these stats could really prove revealing. Someone with time to kill, maybe? I could pull this stuff out of the EKU media guide for EKU/WKU.

ngineer
July 29th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Let's start looking at this question from multiple angles with a little less bias. For instance, which of these great rivalries are the oldest? Which have been played the most times? Which have been played in front of the most fans? Which have most often determined championships?

Compiling these stats could really prove revealing. Someone with time to kill, maybe? I could pull this stuff out of the EKU media guide for EKU/WKU.

There is an ENTIRE hard cover book entitled "The Legends of Lehigh-Lafayette" (published around 1996) that is an excellent read on the depths of this rivalry covering the actual riots, shennanigans, stars, and unique status this game has achieved. The rivalry that once started with football, now transcends all athletic competition between the two schools.

Old Montana State Grad
July 29th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I have to go with the GSU-Furman game, especially if it's in Statesboro instead of on the golf course;)

AndrewFU21
July 29th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Furman has had a very intense rivalry with the Citadel for a long time. That is probably the "oldest" rivalry in the Soutern Conference. The FU/Citadel game is the biggest of the season for a lot of the older crowd.

Furman fans, I think, still view GSU as their main rival. Furman has a lot closer ties to the state of Georgia than they do to North Carolina. A huge portion of FU students and players come out of Atlanta. The Paladins actually have more Georgia players on their roster than South Carolina.

All of that builds up tension between GSU and Furman. I think most Furman fans see App State as what will amount to a big game with a lot of implications, but it just doesn't have the same feel as when the Eagles come calling.

I would say that among the younger/student population, Appalachian is a bigger rival than Georgia Southern. Perhaps it is because GSU has had a down year, but we have had a lot more good games with ASU lately, and our recent loses to them sting a lot worse than losses to GSU.

Bull_Dawgin83
July 29th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Ga Southern and Furman

WCU and App State

Delaware State and Delaware

Richmond and William & Mary

NCAT and Hampton

Walkon79
July 30th, 2007, 12:21 AM
For the record, I usually say cat/griz as well, except when I want to irritate kitty fans. :D

What other game in FCS has over 100 parties all over the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc. and has been a sell-out for as long as I can remember? (and I've been involved for most of my 46 years!!) Add to that State-wide TV coverage for at least the past 20 years.

Nothing in FCS compares, and you East-Coast homers can take that to the bank!!

Grizalltheway
July 30th, 2007, 03:00 AM
What other game in FCS has over 100 parties all over the US, Canada, Europe, Australia, etc. and has been a sell-out for as long as I can remember? (and I've been involved for most of my 46 years!!) Add to that State-wide TV coverage for at least the past 20 years.

Nothing in FCS compares, and you East-Coast homers can take that to the bank!!

Amen! xnodx xnodx xhypedx xhypedx

Grizalltheway
July 30th, 2007, 03:02 AM
There is an ENTIRE hard cover book entitled "The Legends of Lehigh-Lafayette" (published around 1996) that is an excellent read on the depths of this rivalry covering the actual riots, shennanigans, stars, and unique status this game has achieved. The rivalry that once started with football, now transcends all athletic competition between the two schools.

http://www.amazon.com/Divide-War-Montanas-Golden-Treasure/dp/0966168852/ref=sr_1_7/103-0145881-5047030?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1185782396&sr=8-7

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

813Jag
July 30th, 2007, 07:07 AM

If you want to use attendance then I know the Bayou Classic will be near the top since 1974 in front of over 76,000 fans at Tulane Stadium. I mean the turn out was good last year when both teams had losing records. Here's some history (http://www.statefarmbayouclassic.com/history_theevent.shtml) of the game.

SCSUDog4Life
August 7th, 2007, 01:11 PM
Gotta go with the Florida Classic!!

Over 71,000 people come from all over the country to see FAMU and Bethune-Cookman battle it out for bragging rights within the state of Florida.

1. Largest attended FCS game since 2003
2. Most profitable FCS game since 2003

Not only that, but these schools have a very rich history that seems to parallel one another. I'd say FAMU/BCC, Montana/Montana St. and Grambling/Southern in no particular order.

letsgopards04
August 7th, 2007, 01:25 PM

The documentary film is great too. I love when back in the 70s Lafayette was losing and the student tore down the goalposts---AT THE END OF THE THIRD QUARTER

813Jag
August 7th, 2007, 02:45 PM
Gotta go with the Florida Classic!!

Over 71,000 people come from all over the country to see FAMU and Bethune-Cookman battle it out for bragging rights within the state of Florida.

1. Largest attended FCS game since 2003
2. Most profitable FCS game since 2003

Not only that, but these schools have a very rich history that seems to parallel one another. I'd say FAMU/BCC, Montana/Montana St. and Grambling/Southern in no particular order.
The Florida Classic is good but it got great a few years ago when BCC got a better football team. Plus it got better when it moved from Tampa to Orlando.

WrenFGun
August 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
From a UNH perspective, I'm not sure anything matches up with UNH/UMass. Frankly, I absolutely hate everything about UMass. They've continually owned us of late, and last year was very painful. I very much look forward to this year.

mistersykes
August 7th, 2007, 04:49 PM
For the last couple of years, App fans have gotten most excited about FU games, with WCU and GSU coming in second. Whether its the rivalry factor or not, FU/ASU has been huge lately. There's just a buzz about it on campus.

Outside of the conference, the rivalry games I'd most like to go to are Cat/Griz and Grambling/Southern.