PDA

View Full Version : Most SATISFYING wins

DuckDuckGriz
July 21st, 2007, 11:45 PM
You guys got me all depressed.

How about those wins that weren't necessarily NCs. But these weren't squeakers or close games either- but you had waited for the game all week/season long and your team just came out and played damn near perfect (atleast in your mind) and kicked ass. ESPECIALLY against a team you hated. Mine:

My number 1:
The 2004 semis vs Sam Houston State. WGS was in front of a nationwide TV audience. Sam had kicked our asses back in Texas in September. Tuff Harris makes two huge picks and the Griz roll through the second half, sacking All-everyything Dustin Long 5 times including a forced fumble. The crowd at WGS measured over 110 decibles, which is close to the sound of a jet engine. This one just felt GOOD.

2001 semis -- Griz 38, UNI 0 -- This was one of the most fun/loud amped up games at Wash-Griz I've ever seen. The closest the Panthers got to scoring was in the 4th on a field goal attempt. The kick goes up and hits the cross bar. The northendzone goes crazy like we had just won a close game.

2001 national title vs Furman -- the pain was there from the previous year's loss all season. Would have felt better against GSU but this felt good.

2004 - Griz 38- Cats 22-- Two years was long enough. Craig Ochs was on fire and Montana was back on top. This was one of those "Oh Thank God" games.

patssle
July 21st, 2007, 11:52 PM
Sam had kicked our asses back in Texas in September

come back to Texas and we'll kick it again! xlolx xthumbsupx

For me, the win vs. SFA in 2005. Sucky ass season, but that game was a shootout between us and we came out on top.

TheBisonator
July 22nd, 2007, 12:24 AM
2003 At Montana. The Division II Bison beat the I-AA powerhouse Montana 25-24. It was the same week I first arrived as a transfer student to NDSU. It cemented my fate as a true Bison fan.

2006 At Ball State. Our first win over a I-AA team 29-24. I watched that thing online. I was the only person in the NDSU architecture building's computer lab, and I was probably the only one in the building. I made as much noise as I wanted to that night.xsmiley_wix

2006 Vs. South Dakota State for the Marker. 19,053 raucous fans at the Fargodome (a state record for a sporting event). 41-28 victory. Awesome tailgating beforehand. No more voice afterwards. The Rock in our posession once again. Life was sweet.

T-Dog
July 22nd, 2007, 12:48 AM
There will be a reoccuring theme here.

-Furman in 2002: 16-15. Miracle. Nuff said.
-Furman in 2004: Richie goes buck, 40-45 passing including something like 23 straight which is an NCAA record and we beat then No. 1 Furmies 30-29.
-Furman in 2005: Hunter causes Mr 2-minute-warning Ingle Martin to fumble and seal our first ever Title game trip. 29-23 win.
-Furman in 2006: Blocked FG that would have put FU up at half is returned 70-something yards which effectively crushed their spirit (or so it seemed) Final score 40-7.
-Winning in Statesboro this past year for the first time in 10 years in 2OT's
-The last time we beat M*rsh*ll in Hunginton. Forgot deatils but who cares. It was M*rsh*ll!
-CRUSHING Western 35-7 at home in 2005 to get back the Jug. Our first of three pieces of hardware we claimed that year.
-CRUSHING Youngstown State in the semis this past year. I just watched in amazement and turned to someone late in the game an said "They were ranked No. 4 in the nation, right?" I thought all week it would have been very close. Also a pre-cursor of the Florida/Ohio State game with spread option vs midwest power.
-CRUSHING Coastal Carolina in 2005. They beat JMU the week before so we bunkered down for a good one. Yep. 30-0 at halftime which included us having 150 penalty yards against us. We won 30-3.

th0m
July 22nd, 2007, 01:30 AM
2004 vs Montana - well it was for the NC
2004 vs W&M - it was the semi, and of course payback for the regular season loss. They stole one from at our place during the reg, we embarrassed their homecrowd (which, really, had quite a large contingent of JMU people there I think, not to mention the band!)

That's all I can come up with just now...there's more, but I'm still young!

DuckDuckGriz
July 22nd, 2007, 01:32 AM
2004 vs Montana - well it was for the NC
2004 vs W&M - it was the semi, and of course payback for the regular season loss. They stole one from at our place during the reg, we embarrassed their homecrowd (which, really, had quite a large contingent of JMU people there I think, not to mention the band!)

That's all I can come up with just now...there's more, but I'm still young!

Oh man your band! It was huge!! Loved it. xthumbsupx

813Jag
July 22nd, 2007, 07:24 AM
1993 against Alcorn St. McNair-mania was running wild and the Jags had their best team in quite sometime. The stadium was packed, there was people standing on the track. Our offense showed they had the firepower to out duel the Braves.
1995 against FAMU we won an exciting game against the Rattlers in the ATL (we actually beat them twice that year both in ATL), the game was sealed on an interception return for a TD.
1999 Bayou Classic-the comeback is all that needs to be said. Jackson St in the 1st SWAC Championship Game we jumped to a big lead and lost the lead. The Defense stepped up and got the ball back and we sealed the deal with a TD pass.
2001 at FAMU we had a banged up team down to our fourth string RB and riding a 4 game losing streak to the Rattlers (two close losses at home and two blowouts in Tallahassee) we won in overtime causing our fans to rush their field. xlolx
2002 Bayou Classic once again we were the underdogs with a banged up team we won 48-24.
2003 Homecoming against AAMU, their team felt like the Jags were overrated and even said so in the papers the week of the game. It was a great feeling to watch the Jags put 50 on them.
2004 The whole month of October was satisfying, we had 4 road games and won 3 of them coming back from behind.
We haven't had many satisfying wins the last couple of years. I'm hoping that changes this year.

CSUBUCDAD
July 22nd, 2007, 07:30 AM
2005 vs Coastal-First conference championship in school history
2006 vs El Cid-First victory over our cross-town rivals.

JohnStOnge
July 22nd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Probably the 1997 nail biter semifinal win at Delaware.

Another couple of ones I really felt good about, though they were a long time ago, were the 20 - 19 last minute win over Southwestern Louisiana to put McNeese into the first Independence Bowl then the subsequent last minute 20-16 win over Tulsa in the Bowl (after a bunch of McNeese players had been declared ineligible to play).

It's the only time in my memory that McNeese ended a post season with a win!

Proud Griz Man
July 22nd, 2007, 09:54 AM
You guys got me all depressed.

How about those wins that weren't necessarily NCs. But these weren't squeakers or close games either- but you had waited for the game all week/season long and your team just came out and played damn near perfect (atleast in your mind) and kicked ass. ESPECIALLY against a team you hated. Mine:

My number 1:
The 2004 semis vs Sam Houston State. WGS was in front of a nationwide TV audience. Sam had kicked our asses back in Texas in September. Tuff Harris makes two huge picks and the Griz roll through the second half, sacking All-everyything Dustin Long 5 times including a forced fumble. The crowd at WGS measured over 110 decibles, which is close to the sound of a jet engine. This one just felt GOOD.

2001 semis -- Griz 38, UNI 0 -- This was one of the most fun/loud amped up games at Wash-Griz I've ever seen. The closest the Panthers got to scoring was in the 4th on a field goal attempt. The kick goes up and hits the cross bar. The northendzone goes crazy like we had just won a close game.

2001 national title vs Furman -- the pain was there from the previous year's loss all season. Would have felt better against GSU but this felt good.

2004 - Griz 38- Cats 22-- Two years was long enough. Craig Ochs was on fire and Montana was back on top. This was one of those "Oh Thank God" games.

Those were great wins. Here are two more milestones.

The Griz program improved under Don Read and jumped up to the next level with big wins over Big Sky Conference nemesis Idaho in 1992 and 1993. These wins helped Griz Football become contenders for a National Title, which UM got in 1995 and 2001.

1992 = Montana 47 - Idaho 29

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/1992_Highlig/fb92idaho.wmv

1993 = Montana 54 - Idaho 34

http://streamingmedia.montanagrizzlies.com/umgriz/2005_2006_an/Media/Football/1993_Highlig/fb93idaho.wmv

catamount man
July 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
November 21, 1998 beating APP for the 1st time since 1984. WCU dominated ASU all freaking day long and they could NOT stop Brad Hoover. He would've gotten his 50th carry and went over 200 yards had our students not rushed the field with 30 seconds left to celebrate the 23-6 win.

The 2004 APP win was awesome for drama amidst an 11 point comeback in the last 5 minutes, but 1998 was a pure butt thrashing, Catamount style.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

phillyAPP
July 22nd, 2007, 11:15 AM
November 21, 1998 beating APP for the 1st time since 1984. WCU dominated ASU all freaking day long and they could NOT stop Brad Hoover. He would've gotten his 50th carry and went over 200 yards had our students not rushed the field with 30 seconds left to celebrate the 23-6 win.

The 2004 APP win was awesome for drama amidst an 11 point comeback in the last 5 minutes, but 1998 was a pure butt thrashing, Catamount style.xthumbsupx

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Thanks Catamount man if those your only two that OK with me and I am glad we didn't give you any more "satisfying wins". just joking, I know the hill WCU has to climb.:D

slycat
July 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
the 2005 playoff game against georgia southern. looked like we were going to get blown out when gsu self destructed. ended the gsu dynasty and capped off texas sts best season in years.

CopperCat
July 22nd, 2007, 03:49 PM
2006 playoff game vs. Furman.

2002 game vs. Griz AT WA GRIZ.

2006 game shutout of PSU at home.

Grizball
July 22nd, 2007, 04:04 PM
Certainly, big wins, would be games like the '95 and '01 NC's.
The most satisfying for me was during the '01 playoffs. The Griz blanked UNI, 38-0. Loved it!

GeeWiz
July 22nd, 2007, 04:09 PM
The most satisfying wins IMO all came in the 2002 season.

- Finally ending the long losing streak to UMass by hammering them 42-17 at home.

- Snapping a winless streak vs. Harvard with a 17-14 win.

- Blowing out Villanova 38-13. NU had lost their prior six out of seven match-ups.

- Blowing out UNH in Durham 49-17. We hadn't won up there in years.

Now if we could ever win one over UMass at Amherst that would be satisfying.

TheValleyRaider
July 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
2003 Playoffs, First Round
Colgate 19 - UMass 7
xnodx

Sam Adams
July 22nd, 2007, 04:50 PM
2006 Semi-finals 12/08/06

Massachusetts 19
Montana 17

23K+ shocked Griz fans in Missoula.xrotatehx

SU Jag
July 22nd, 2007, 04:58 PM
2003 SWAC Championship game. ASU got a big kick-off return that put them inside out 18 yard line. On 3rd down I picked off a pass in the endzone and returned it all the way out to the 37-yard line. We beat the living daylights out of Bama State to win the SWAC Championship and the Black College Football National Champioship.

I gonna have to watch that game tonight!xnodx

Go...gate
July 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Several from the olden days, as follows:

1957 - Colgate 12, Princeton 10 (Palmer Stadium). Princeton, a three-touchdown favorite, was 5-0, on its way to its first Ivy League title. Colgate was struggling, coming off consecutive losses at Illinois (40-0) and to Rutgers in Hamilton (48-6).

1965 - Colgate 29, Army 28 (Michie Stadium). One of Colgate's greatest upsets ever.

1969 - Colgate 35, Princeton 28 (Palmer Stadium) Another win over a Ivy-title bound Tiger team.

1971 - Colgate 28, Yale 21 (Yale Bowl). Colgate's new Wishbone did just enough to pull off a nice win, though not an upset, over a Yale tea, coming off the graduation of Hill, Dowling, Jauron, etc.

1973 - Colgate 42, Rutgers 0 (Rutgers Stadium). The last and best day for Tom Parr and Mark VanEeghen. A Freshman named Mark Murphy had a nice day for Colagate that day.

1977 - Colgate 23, Rutgers 0 (Andy Kerr Stadium) One of the greatest wins in the program's history, before the biggest crowd in Andy Kerr Stadium history (Estimated at 14,000-18,000) over a very good Rutgers team that had squeaked by Colgate in a very controversial victory on national television the previous Thanksgiving. This is my vote for most satisfying win ever.

1978 - Colgate 14, Rutgers 9 (Rutgers Stadium). Rutgers, 9-1 (having lost only to undefeated and Sugar Bowl-bound Penn State), heading for their first bowl game in program history, was beaten an outmuscled by a 2-8 Colgate team (beating only Villavova and Lafayette) which rose to the occasion and played its best game of the season in frigid conditions the Saturday after Thanksgiving.

1982 - Colgate 21, Temple 17 (Andy Kerr Stadium). Temple was a two-TD favorite and openly derided not only Colgate, but playing at Colgate. The win put Colgate in the I-AA playoffs in its inaugural season in the division. Temple Coach Wayne Hardin resigned after the game. Penn State Coach Joe Paterno, upon receiving word of Temple's upset, said in the media the following week that no team which had major college football aspirations should have to play at Colgate.

1987 - Colgate 22, Army 20 (Michie Stadium). A solid win over a good program (at that time). Colgate led throughout the game by at least a TD and Army got a garbage TD at the very end to make the score a bit closer. At the end of the game, after the USMA alma mater, all the Colgate players and coaches gathered in the center of the Michie SuperTurf and sang the Colgate alma mater.

1990 - Colgate 59, Cornell 24 (Andy Kerr Stadium). Along with 1983's 60-7rout of the Big Red, this is one of Colgate's most dominating wins over Cornell.

1996 - Colgate 44, Brown 27 (Andy Kerr Stadium) Colgate returned the opening kickoff for a TD and finally broke a 16-game losing streak over three seasons, when the program's very survival was highly in doubt.

1997 - Colgate 48, Bucknell 14 (Andy Kerr Stadium). Colgate's first Patriot League title, beating a great 10-0 Bucknell team in a blizzard on a muddy field.

The 1998-2006 seasons have also had many satisfying games, but I'm running long and showing my age, so I will shut up.

grizbeer
July 22nd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Sorry to say, but the most satisfying win ever was Boise state beating OK - the best college football game ever, and for a former conference rival.

For the Griz probably some of Super Dave's great comeback wins, including one over Idaho State back in '93? that was as wild as it gets.

Ivytalk
July 22nd, 2007, 09:13 PM
Harvard snapped its 11-game losing streak at Penn with a 31-10 win in Philly in 2004. Harvard won the Ivies that year with a 10-0 reord, and that was the sweetest win that year. QUACKERS SUCK!!!:p :p :p

813Jag
July 22nd, 2007, 09:35 PM
2003 SWAC Championship game. ASU got a big kick-off return that put them inside out 18 yard line. On 3rd down I picked off a pass in the endzone and returned it all the way out to the 37-yard line. We beat the living daylights out of Bama State to win the SWAC Championship and the Black College Football National Champioship.

I gonna have to watch that game tonight!xnodx
What number did you wear Jag? I hated to miss that game, my best friend graduated from SLU that same day.xnonono2x

bandl
July 23rd, 2007, 07:25 AM
Anytime JMU has beaten Montana!! xnodx xnodx xlolx xlolx :p :p

skinny_uncle
July 23rd, 2007, 07:39 AM
Beating Indiana last year.
Winning the 1983 NC.
1967 SIU 16 Tulsa 13

UNH SUPERFAN
July 23rd, 2007, 07:59 AM
For UNH

2004:

Opening game 24-21 win over Delaware in Delaware one game after their national championship, next day's headlines read "From Number 1 to 0-1!"

Win in next game versus Rutgers in New Jersey.

Upset of Georgia Southern in Georgia.

2005:

Win vs UMass, 35-28, to solidify share of A-10 championship.

patssle
July 23rd, 2007, 08:47 AM
Sorry to say, but the most satisfying win ever was Boise state beating OK - the best college football game ever, and for a former conference rival.

hell yeah. I love watching the end of the game on youtube. So incredible. Nothing else ever comes close in my lifetime.

CID1990
July 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
1988: Navy
1989: Navy, Marshall
1990: South Carolina
1991: Arkansas and Army

89Hen
July 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
Other than the obvious 2003 NC and playoff games...

1984 and 1985 over Temple - the last two games of the series. '84 was at Franklin Field and I went with my dad. xthumbsupx

1992 Northeast Louisiana (UL-Monroe) in the Quarterfinals. Monroe had won 78-27 in the first round and was a heavy favorite at home against the Hens.

1993 Montana in the first round in Missoula.

2000 Lehigh in the Q's. The LU fans had complained all year that we didn't play them in the regular season... 49-22 shut them up. :p

Three games over Navy:

1985 - first time the Hens faced Navy in the modern series, it was at Newark and the Hens single handedly ended the Heisman talk for Napoleon McCallum.

1986 - AT Navy proving the previous wasn't a fluke.

2003 - again AT Navy for their Homecoming. Down 14-0 before half the crowd got settled in, the rest was all Hens.

SU Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM
What number did you wear Jag? I hated to miss that game, my best friend graduated from SLU that same day.xnonono2x

#8 that year, I changed to #9 in 2004

813Jag
July 23rd, 2007, 09:56 AM
#8 that year, I changed to #9 in 2004
That was a big play you made. xthumbsupx

Apps03
July 23rd, 2007, 01:02 PM

GO CATAMOUNTS!!!

Sports are funny. I remember wanting to have words with that announcer after the game. All day long it was "Hooooover". We had nothing for him. I was so sick I couldn't stand it. Now I love seeing him in a Panthers uniform on Sundays. I still can't join the Panthers crowd in saying it, but I think back to that game every time he touches the ball.

AggieFinn
July 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
From my experience.

2001 - vs. Sacramento State (Ags 43 - CSUS 0)
2003 - vs. Sacramento State (Barragan's come from behind win @ Sac)
2004 - vs. Cal Poly (Grant finds Kays WIDE open w/ go ahead TD with :32 left in game @ SLO)
2005 - vs. Stanford (@ Stanford)
2005 - vs. North Dakota State (in the FargoDome)
2006 - vs. Montana State (Ags 45 - MSU 0, @ Bozeman)

walliver
July 23rd, 2007, 04:13 PM
1998: 40-20 Win over Furman (First game in Spartanburg in 20 years)

2002: 14-7 win over Georgia Southern in Statesboro (1st win over GSU in D-I era, although we did beat the Erk Russell coached Eagles back in the NAIA/D-2 days)

2003: Win over Elon. (Not a big win in itself, but it clinched a playoff spot that the committee could not take away from us)

terrierbob
July 23rd, 2007, 07:01 PM
App State, 2002, 26-19.

Appaholic
July 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
App State, 2002, 26-19.

Glad you enjoyed it....I happened to be in Boone with future wife on way to backpacking trip that we canceled due to weather....was able to walk in the stadium just in time to see Wofford score winning touchdown.....washed away my sorrows at Klondike the rest of the evening.....

2002 Furman...Miracle on the Mountain gets my vote xthumbsupx

Eyes of Old Main
July 23rd, 2007, 08:20 PM
1998: 40-20 Win over Furman (First game in Spartanburg in 20 years)

2002: 14-7 win over Georgia Southern in Statesboro (1st win over GSU in D-I era, although we did beat the Erk Russell coached Eagles back in the NAIA/D-2 days)

2003: Win over Elon. (Not a big win in itself, but it clinched a playoff spot that the committee could not take away from us)

I thought of all three of those, and also:

2003 GSU in Spartanburg (Proving 2002 wasn't a fluke and watching Kevious Johnson devestate GSU defenders was priceless)

and,

2003 WKU (dominating the defending National Champion proved Wofford was for real)

blur2005
July 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
2004 - JMU defeats Delaware 20-13 despite only gaining 166 yards to the Hens' 466. I have never seen a defense bend more without breaking in my life, especially the crucial field goal block in the 4th quarter. Cortez Thompson's punt return TD a couple minutes later that proved the difference still gives me the chills thinking about it today. I don't think I've ever seen Bridgeforth as insanely raucous as it was that day.

NDSUFREAK
July 23rd, 2007, 09:16 PM
From my experience.

2001 - vs. Sacramento State (Ags 43 - CSUS 0)
2003 - vs. Sacramento State (Barragan's come from behind win @ Sac)
2004 - vs. Cal Poly (Grant finds Kays WIDE open w/ go ahead TD with :32 left in game @ SLO)
2005 - vs. Stanford (@ Stanford)
2005 - vs. North Dakota State (in the FargoDome)
2006 - vs. Montana State (Ags 45 - MSU 0, @ Bozeman)

not gonna happen this year!

AggieFinn
July 23rd, 2007, 10:21 PM
not gonna happen this year! Hey man, just stating history! xlolx Should be another good matchup this year in Fargo. I love how we play each other!!! I can taste those Swedish meatballs already! xrotatehx

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/121/290008691_f7550c3e95.jpg?v=0

blur2005
July 26th, 2007, 02:27 AM
2004 - JMU defeats Delaware 20-13 despite only gaining 166 yards to the Hens' 466. I have never seen a defense bend more without breaking in my life, especially the crucial field goal block in the 4th quarter. Cortez Thompson's punt return TD a couple minutes later that proved the difference still gives me the chills thinking about it today. I don't think I've ever seen Bridgeforth as insanely raucous as it was that day.

THANK GOD FOR YOUTUBE:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=RV-axmW9gQo

What a game.

Old Montana State Grad
July 26th, 2007, 03:05 AM
Two of my favorites came in 1984. We beat Nevada in Double Overtime and physically manhandled a favored Louisiana Tech team at the Citadel for the National Championship.

Another came in the mid 60s while Jim Sweeney was still in Bozeman. We were pretty much beating the crap out of one of the worst programs in all of college football at the time and Coach let Jan Stenerud try a 59 yard field goal, which he made to set a new NCAA record. It was no big deal in Montana at the time because all the journalists were a byproduct of the school the wanted to run with the big dogs but couldn't so they came down to our level so they could compete. The national media picked up on it and the rest became history.

poly51
July 26th, 2007, 04:43 PM
1979 Cal Poly 26 Fresno State 0 Fresno's last trip to San Luis Obispo
1980 Cal Poly 23 Boise State 20 Cal Poly D-II Champ, Boise State I-AA Champ
1980 Cal Poly 21 Eastern Illinois 13 D-II National Championship Game
2003 Cal Poly 34 UTEP 13
2005 Cal Poly 35 Montana 21 I-AA Playoff Game
2006 Cal Poly 16 San Diego State 14

DuckDuckGriz
July 26th, 2007, 05:33 PM
1979 Cal Poly 26 Fresno State 0 Fresno's last trip to San Luis Obispo
1980 Cal Poly 23 Boise State 20 Cal Poly D-II Champ, Boise State I-AA Champ
1980 Cal Poly 21 Eastern Illinois 13 D-II National Championship Game
2003 Cal Poly 34 UTEP 13
2005 Cal Poly 35 Montana 21 I-AA Playoff Game
2006 Cal Poly 16 San Diego State 14

That 05 CP-Montana game was truly dominating by the Mustangs. Even when the game was tied it never really felt like the Griz were in it.
xbowx
Also CP's first win against Montana in 8 or 9 tries, but obviously came at the most important of times.

Kymermosst
July 27th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I think the most satisfying win I can remember is beating UNH in the regular season last year in Durham. Though that definitely qualifies as a squeaker..I still want to shake hands with Mr. and Mrs. Hatchell for last year.

I think the most satisfying UMass game I've seen was actually a loss. The triple-OT game at Tubby Raymond (Delaware) in 2003. Even though we lost, I will always remember that as one of the greatest football games I've ever seen.

bisonwest
July 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Montana(2003) Awesome!
Ball St(2006) First win against FBS team!
UC Davis(2006) Biggest comeback in Bison history!
Cal-poly(2006) Awesome performance against a great team!
SDSU(2006) Electric atmosphere, back and forth game, the marker and
Great West title up for grabs!!

JMU-MRD-DAD
July 27th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I've only been on board since 2004...what a year that was!!!

JMU 20 Delaware 13 played at JMU was a classic with that punt return....but beating William & Mary 48 to 34 has to be my favorite.....what sweet revenge!!!!

blur2005
July 27th, 2007, 07:55 PM
I've only been on board since 2004...what a year that was!!!

JMU 20 Delaware 13 played at JMU was a classic with that punt return....but beating William & Mary 48 to 34 has to be my favorite.....what sweet revenge!!!!
I can't really argue with you on that game but I prefer the Delaware one because I was there in person.

Grizaholic17
July 28th, 2007, 01:55 AM
2006 Semi-finals 12/08/06

Massachusetts 19
Montana 17

23K+ shocked Griz fans in Missoula.xrotatehx

Oh you just had to bring that up. But, surprisingly it was one of my favorites too. But I agree with the first post. That Sam Houston game was sweet revenge...and I remember how loud it was...WOW!

TheCatamount
July 28th, 2007, 02:29 AM
WCU 30 ASU 27 (2004) Western takes back the jug in stunning fashion
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3958/collins200lgie2.jpg

WCU 41 #2 Furman 21 (2005) Swarming D gets us the big win

And of course the run to the 1983 National Title game

I'm a new Catamount fan though, I hope many more memorable games are on the way:)

JALMOND
July 28th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Most satisfying win...1998(?) Portland State 49, Montana 48 in Portland. That game did wonders for the PSU program as our move to I-AA and the Big Sky was being second guessed by a bunch of people. It brought our program relevance and made us a true player in the Big Sky. Also, it showed the Grizzlies that Oregon was no longer "their turf" and they would be in a battle every time they came to Portland.

If we could just get that win in Missoula, that would complete the cycle and would be the next most satisfying win.

I would like to add that game against Boise State in 2005. Even though we lost, still what I consider a moral victory and one that I would also put up there among "wins" since we came to the FCS. Boise was handling FBS teams at Boise with relative ease and was on an impressive home winning streak. We were ahead the whole game until halfway through the fourth quarter and still only allowed the least amount of points Boise had scored during their streak. Impressive to me in that no one on the FBS universe thought it would be that type of game, and that is why it is one of the more satisfying "wins" for me. Ironically, because of that game, we cannot get Boise to play us, even for no money.

DuckDuckGriz
July 28th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Most satisfying win...1998(?) Portland State 49, Montana 48 in Portland. That game did wonders for the PSU program as our move to I-AA and the Big Sky was being second guessed by a bunch of people. It brought our program relevance and made us a true player in the Big Sky. Also, it showed the Grizzlies that Oregon was no longer "their turf" and they would be in a battle every time they came to Portland.

If we could just get that win in Missoula, that would complete the cycle and would be the next most satisfying win.

I would like to add that game against Boise State in 2005. Even though we lost, still what I consider a moral victory and one that I would also put up there among "wins" since we came to the FCS. Boise was handling FBS teams at Boise with relative ease and was on an impressive home winning streak. We were ahead the whole game until halfway through the fourth quarter and still only allowed the least amount of points Boise had scored during their streak. Impressive to me in that no one on the FBS universe thought it would be that type of game, and that is why it is one of the more satisfying "wins" for me. Ironically, because of that game, we cannot get Boise to play us, even for no money.

JALMOND 1999 is the game you are thinking of. What a game that was. It was 21-21 at the end of the 1st and never let up the whole way. The Viks blocked an extra point attempt in OT and ran it back for the needless 2 points to make it 51-48. Had that happened I think the game would still be going on today!!! Chip Dunn and Terry Charles lit us up that game!! xbowx

Bearkatpresident
July 28th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Last Season: Our come from behind win over SFA, at thier house.

Ever: Eastern Washington during our last playoff run.