PDA

View Full Version : UMass adds three BCS transfers

Umass74
July 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_JL4aZ5n-YXE/RqCVYLsdyBI/AAAAAAAAAsw/zmde-fc92qc/s400/ridenhour.jpg

Over on my UMass football blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) I've got two posts about three BCS transfers to UMass. :)

Spencer Ridenhour a 6-0 185 pd Safety from Penn State. His post is here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/search?q=penn+state+transfer).

Breyone Evans a 6-0 239 pd FB from Syracuse and Jeremy Horne a 6-2 190 pd WR from Syracuse. They're here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/search?q=adds+six+players+to+roster) .

carney2
July 20th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Can someone please clarify the transfer rules (again)? I was under the (obviously mistaken) understanding that nowadays one needed to have at least two years of eligibility remaining to make this BCS to FCS transfer. That would place Evans and possibly Ridenhour in question.

A note to any Patriot League posters that happen by here: When you entertain the delusion that your team is only a noodgie away from playing with the big dogs in FCS, ask yourself how many of these guys are on your roster.

phillyAPP
July 20th, 2007, 09:04 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_JL4aZ5n-YXE/RqCVYLsdyBI/AAAAAAAAAsw/zmde-fc92qc/s400/ridenhour.jpg

Over on my UMass football blog (http://umass74.blogspot.com/) I've got two posts about three BCS transfers to UMass. :)

Spencer Ridenhour a 6-0 185 pd Safety from Penn State. His post is here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/search?q=penn+state+transfer).

Breyone Evans a 6-0 239 pd FB from Syracuse and Jeremy Horne a 6-2 190 pd WR from Syracuse. They're here (http://umass74.blogspot.com/search?q=adds+six+players+to+roster) .

Way to go UMASS !!!

Good thing this is written because I still can't say UMASS correctly. My Boston brother corrects me like I correct him about apple-at-chun (no A).

Tribe4SF
July 20th, 2007, 09:08 AM
If the player has graduated from his school, he may transfer to ANY Division I school for graduate study and his final year of eligibility. If he has not graduated, he must have two years eligibility remaining, and may only transfer to a lower division.

89Hen
July 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM
xeyebrowx Addresses some needs at UMass... they may have just become the clear favorite in the North instead of just the 50/50 favorite.

carney2
July 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM
If the player has graduated from his school, he may transfer to ANY Division I school for graduate study and his final year of eligibility. If he has not graduated, he must have two years eligibility remaining, and may only transfer to a lower division.

Thank you for the clarification, Mr. Tribe.

Umass74
July 20th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Way to go UMASS !!!

Good thing this is written because I still can't say UMASS correctly. My Boston brother corrects me like I correct him about apple-at-chun (no A).

Ah-hem. "YOU"-"MASS" ! :p

Umass74
July 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_JL4aZ5n-YXE/RjntdJyAkRI/AAAAAAAAAWc/BnL40I9bW9o/s400/27136112.jpg

That's Navy transfer Jeromy Miles (#5) putting the wood to a Boston College receiver.

Miles will wear #5 (Steve Baylark's old number) at UMass.

McNeeserocket
July 20th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I thought they reversed this rule after only one year. Ralph can you check this out?

Go...gate
July 20th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Can someone please clarify the transfer rules (again)? I was under the (obviously mistaken) understanding that nowadays one needed to have at least two years of eligibility remaining to make this BCS to FCS transfer. That would place Evans and possibly Ridenhour in question.

A note to any Patriot League posters that happen by here: When you entertain the delusion that your team is only a noodgie away from playing with the big dogs in FCS, ask yourself how many of these guys are on your roster.

This is indeed a challenge facing PL schools, but we have had our share of I-A impact transfers from time to time, as has the Ivy League (Bill Foran of Princeton, projected to be an impact player for the Tigers this year, is a transfer from Purdue). We've also had our share of heralded transfers who decided they's had a belly full of football and left the program after a while, preferring to focus on their studies (OK by me - that's what you are at college for, anyway). You never really know - they're still pretty much kids.

carney2
July 20th, 2007, 02:03 PM
This is indeed a challenge facing PL schools, but we have had our share of I-A impact transfers from time to time, as has the Ivy League (Bill Foran of Princeton, projected to be an impact player for the Tigers this year, is a transfer from Purdue). We've also had our share of heralded transfers who decided they's had a belly full of football and left the program after a while, preferring to focus on their studies (OK by me - that's what you are at college for, anyway). You never really know - they're still pretty much kids.

"From time to time," every now and then, one or two a decade, etc., etc. I noticed when I tried to expand the Patsy (recruiting) Ratings to compare Patriot League schools against some of the big kids in FCS that many of these programs are only showing recruiting classes of 14, 16, 18,... In other words, they are recruiting a base of incoming freshmen and loading up with discontented BCS rejects to the tune of 2, 3, 5 or more per year. (Note that the announcement that started this thread shows 3 of these guys headed to one school - and that's only this one day's announcement.) Onesie, Twosie "from time to time" is like spitting in the ocean when it comes to closing this kind of a gap. Any Patsy team is thrilled when they get a 2-star recruit in their incoming class. Many of these transfers were 3- or even 4-star rated coming out of high school. they just somehow got shuffled aside in their shot at the big time. No one is doing anything illegal, and more power to them, as they say. My point is that Patriot League playoff expectations need to be realistic, and to say that "Colgate made a run in 2003" is to point to a once in a generation occurrence as if it is somehow normalcy and an annually achievable objective.

Go...gate
July 20th, 2007, 02:59 PM
"From time to time," every now and then, one or two a decade, etc., etc. I noticed when I tried to expand the Patsy (recruiting) Ratings to compare Patriot League schools against some of the big kids in FCS that many of these programs are only showing recruiting classes of 14, 16, 18,... In other words, they are recruiting a base of incoming freshmen and loading up with discontented BCS rejects to the tune of 2, 3, 5 or more per year. (Note that the announcement that started this thread shows 3 of these guys headed to one school - and that's only this one day's announcement.) Onesie, Twosie "from time to time" is like spitting in the ocean when it comes to closing this kind of a gap. Any Patsy team is thrilled when they get a 2-star recruit in their incoming class. Many of these transfers were 3- or even 4-star rated coming out of high school. they just somehow got shuffled aside in their shot at the big time. No one is doing anything illegal, and more power to them, as they say. My point is that Patriot League playoff expectations need to be realistic, and to say that "Colgate made a run in 2003" is to point to a once in a generation occurrence as if it is somehow normalcy and an annually achievable objective.

I agree with you. Moreover, I don't want PL schools to take kids who can't handle or don't want to do the schoolwork. I don't know when or if we will ever get a team back to the title game sticking to these principles, but so be it.

WUTNDITWAA
July 20th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Yeah! Three more players ESPN can point out are transfers, because we all know that FBS transfers are what make FCS teams great. xrolleyesx

Rant thrown at ESPN, not UMass.

umassfan
July 20th, 2007, 03:09 PM
Now our secondairy is unproven but could end up being a quality group.
Ridenhour will be playing SS and Myles will be FS and our CBs will be Sean Smalls and Courtney Robinson(transfered last year from UConn).

Andy
July 20th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Maybe oneday, someday, at Lafayette, we'll have a transfer to call our own.

carney2
July 20th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Maybe oneday, someday, at Lafayette, we'll have a transfer to call our own.

Good point. I'm going to move a version of this question to the Lafayette Board.

LBPop
July 20th, 2007, 05:02 PM
http://bp3.blogger.com/_JL4aZ5n-YXE/RjntdJyAkRI/AAAAAAAAAWc/BnL40I9bW9o/s400/27136112.jpg

That's Navy transfer Jeromy Miles (#5) putting the wood to a Boston College receiver.

That raises another question. If Miles graduated from Navy, then how did he deal with his service commitment? I'm probably missing something...it is 6 O'clock on a Friday.xrotatehx

Umass74
July 20th, 2007, 06:08 PM
That raises another question. If Miles graduated from Navy, then how did he deal with his service commitment? I'm probably missing something...it is 6 O'clock on a Friday.

Miles was a Freshman. He will be a Sophomore at UMass.

Midshipmen are not obligated to military service until their Junior year. He tried Academy life and it was not for him. He left with the good graces of the Navy coaching staff and the Academy Brass.

Smendy
July 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
More power to Miles. There's nothing wrong with leaving one of the academies, so you can move on without the military commitment hanging over your head. The option was there and he took it.

As a kid, when I first started watching football, I remember UCLA had a WR that left Air Force early and he went to BIG things outside of football after one season in the USFL.

http://www.longbeachsaints.org/alumni/wheretheyare/carney/

By the way, I think former NBA star David Robinson considered leaving the Navy after his freshman season (could've gone anywhere), but decided to stay there and accept the 2 year military commitment (shortened from 7 years at the time because he was 7' 2" and too tall to fit a submarine anyway)...To each his own?

Seawolf97
July 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Good for UMass! We will 8 transfers this year that I know of 5 from FBS programs and 3 from quality FCS schools. I know it will make a difference on both sides of the ball.

Lehigh Football Nation
July 21st, 2007, 08:06 AM
...My point is that Patriot League playoff expectations need to be realistic, and to say that "Colgate made a run in 2003" is to point to a once in a generation occurrence as if it is somehow normalcy and an annually achievable objective.

I don't see the reason why you are so pessimistic. The fact is that there are plenty of instances over the past seven years where Patriot League teams have beaten teams with 63 scholarships and FBS transfers. Even in a down year for the league last year Lehigh did beat Villanova.

Why shouldn't we believe that the Patriot League can make another run in the playoffs? Because Lafayette is 0-3 there? xeyebrowx It's fine with me if Leopard fans are indimidated out of the gate at teams with FBS transfers, but the Lehigh football team sure isn't.

Sam Adams
July 21st, 2007, 12:15 PM
Looks like a nifty pickup for Coach Brown and the UMass Program. Seems as if players want to come to UMass and play for Don Brown based upon word of mouth from current UMass players.

UncleSam
July 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM
Some fans bash transfers, usually it's because their teams don't get many.

carney2
July 21st, 2007, 10:05 PM
I don't see the reason why you are so pessimistic. The fact is that there are plenty of instances over the past seven years where Patriot League teams have beaten teams with 63 scholarships and FBS transfers. Even in a down year for the league last year Lehigh did beat Villanova.

Why shouldn't we believe that the Patriot League can make another run in the playoffs? Because Lafayette is 0-3 there? xeyebrowx It's fine with me if Leopard fans are indimidated out of the gate at teams with FBS transfers, but the Lehigh football team sure isn't.

I'm talking the playoffs and not the regular season. That's where the rubber meets the road; that's where the big kids play. Since 1987 when I-AA went to the 16 team format, and excluding Colgate's 2003 run, the Patriot League is 4-13, never getting out of the second round. If this is "plenty of instances," then you and I are speaking different languages.

Also, since you have decided to unprofessionally and uncharacteristically assume the personna of a 10 year old by making this personal, I should point out that you have come to the right place. I can match wits with 3 out of 10 ten year olds - any time, any place. I therefore respond that before flapping your mythical wings and thumping your mythical chest about the mythical valor of your mythical ChickenSquawks, you really do need to evaluate their propensity to assume the plumage of so many stuffed parakeets on the Saturday before Thanksgiving each year. Unless and until they can stop having their mythical beaks blunted by their not so mythical superior down the road, ain't nobody gonna know about all of their self promoted bravery in the face of "FBS transfers." The moral of this story is that you really need to accomplish something before you tell the world just how great you are.

DFW HOYA
July 22nd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Some fans bash transfers, usually it's because their teams don't get many.

I don't bash transfers, but I sure haven't seen an impact one for the Hoyas. Georgetown gets one every other year or so and they rarely make an impact. A few years ago, there was a transfer from New Mexico which didn't even make it past training camp.