PDA

View Full Version : Better vs Michigan?

SoCon48
July 20th, 2007, 07:30 AM
App is getting it from all directions regarding their opening game vs Michigan (just like two years ago before facing LSU). Is there anyone who thinks their FCS team would fare better than ASU vs the Wolverines opening game in the big house?
If so, I'd like to hear the reasons why.

Reminder: As mentioned in another thread, ASU was unable to keep up with NC State last year (pre Armanti Edwards) and yet remained undefeated throughout the FCS regular season and the play-offs.

Anyway. Have at it.

Grizalltheway
July 20th, 2007, 07:44 AM
No, Montana may be as talented as Appy, but I don't think we're as big as them, and would get plain worn down against Michigan, like we did against Iowa. Also, I don't understand this chip on your shoulder. Appy is going into this game knowing they don't have much of a chance, if any at all; they're in it for the money and the publicity, just like any FCS team playing an FBS.

Gil Dobie
July 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I still think Appy wins. xthumbsupx

They should have beaten a bad NC State team last year too.

DetroitFlyer
July 20th, 2007, 08:17 AM
App will do well to protect Edwards from a serious injury. Small, running QB's can survive in FCS, but against a very big and very strong team like a top 10 FBS team, be careful! If Edwards has a good game and does not get hurt, I see App at least hanging in there. Michigan has a strong tendency to play to its competition's level. I doubt that the Michigan players will be up for this game, while App's players will be pumped. Play hard, enjoy playing in front of 105,000+ fans! What a great opportunity for the kids. Talk about some amazing memories.... I also seriously doubt that any team in FCS would match up any better with Michigan than App. Two time defending FCS champ is as good as it gets in FCS.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2007, 08:54 AM
No, Montana may be as talented as Appy, but I don't think we're as big as them, and would get plain worn down against Michigan, like we did against Iowa. Also, I don't understand this chip on your shoulder. Appy is going into this game knowing they don't have much of a chance, if any at all; they're in it for the money and the publicity, just like any FCS team playing an FBS.

What chip? I have none at all regarding this game. Just pointed out that whenever App faces a top I-A team, the huge predictions of slaughter come out. We App fans know what we're up against, yet try to maintain a bit of optimism and hope for a few a good bounces.
It's just with all those dooms day predictions, sarcastic magazine covers, etc, I wondered if other fans thought there was a better match in the FCS vs the Wolverines.
I think it is a reasonable question.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2007, 08:57 AM
App will do well to protect Edwards from a serious injury. Small, running QB's can survive in FCS, but against a very big and very strong team like a top 10 FBS team, be careful! If Edwards has a good game and does not get hurt, I see App at least hanging in there. Michigan has a strong tendency to play to its competition's level. I doubt that the Michigan players will be up for this game, while App's players will be pumped. Play hard, enjoy playing in front of 105,000+ fans! What a great opportunity for the kids. Talk about some amazing memories.... I also seriously doubt that any team in FCS would match up any better with Michigan than App. Two time defending FCS champ is as good as it gets in FCS.

Totally agree and being smaller than many, he's his own worst enemy. When he or App is stopped on a play, he's prone to come out next play and run head on into a big linebacker in order to keep the drive going. He gets his yardage, but at great risk, IMOP.
He is said to have put 10 or 20 pounds on to his sophomore frame in the offseason. Don't know how much that will help.

OL FU
July 20th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I don't think ASU is by themselves in this. I think any FCS team that faces a perennial FBS power would hear the predicitions of slaughter.

phillyAPP
July 20th, 2007, 09:00 AM

I agree D-Flyer, you are on target with this one. I am going to enjoy it also. I hope we do well enough in the first half to scare the BIG HOUSE.

We have nothing to lose except RESPECT if we get buried early like one michigan player has stated is their goal.

BTW- my brother was a Flyer in 1975-77. He loved it there.

SoCon48
July 20th, 2007, 09:28 AM
I know what you mean. They won't lose any respect from me as long as they give a good effort and play smart.
And if there's no significant momentum, I just hope the staff does what it takes to preserve our franchise offenseive players, AE and KR. At this point in time, the FCS games are more important. Plus it seems we play better after we are humbled by a program like Michigan's.
Remember the wrath wrought upon WCU and Elon after the LSU game?

89Hen
July 20th, 2007, 09:30 AM
AppSt has the best shot of any I-AA team against Michigan... but that shot is not good to even keep it close.

patssle
July 20th, 2007, 09:35 AM
AppSt has the best shot of any I-AA team against Michigan... but that shot is not good to even keep it close.

Agreed. All FCS teams would get scored on as many as Michigan wants. The only difference with App and maybe a couple other top FCS teams is that they might be able to put some points on the board.

Johnny5
July 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Football is a game about matchups and Appy is probably the best FCS matchup for Michigan. They have the talent, size, and speed to make some people believe that they can at least keep it close with Michigan throughout the game. However, when it comes down to grind it out football no one in the FCS can compete with UM. I think it will be a good game...and I am hoping Appy gets the win for FCS.

bluehenbillk
July 20th, 2007, 11:27 AM
It's not that people don't respect Appalachian St, they're the 2-time champs & could be 3-time. I understand their fans bravado and if UD was playing Michigan after coming off 2 NC's I'd be pumped too. That opening game in Ann Arbor may be one of two things: A great springboard towards the rest of the season or a complete beatdown.

Ronbo
July 20th, 2007, 11:38 AM
What chip? I have none at all regarding this game. Just pointed out that whenever App faces a top I-A team, the huge predictions of slaughter come out. We App fans know what we're up against, yet try to maintain a bit of optimism and hope for a few a good bounces.
It's just with all those dooms day predictions, sarcastic magazine covers, etc, I wondered if other fans thought there was a better match in the FCS vs the Wolverines.
I think it is a reasonable question.

Might be the slaughters against Wyoming and Hawaii that really shows the gap between FCS and FBS.

Black Saturday
July 20th, 2007, 12:16 PM
Might be the slaughters against Wyoming and Hawaii that really shows the gap between FCS and FBS.

Or the Marshall game. How a team fairs against an opponent can sometimes be when you play them. '05 and '06 APP had much better teams than the ones that lost to the schools in prior years you mentioned. Last year had APP played NCState the 8th or 9th game we probably would have won based on how well we were playing and how lousy State turned out. The first of '06, APPs offense was not the juggarnaut it developed into by late season. September '07 APP offense should be a much, much better than September '06, based on having a QB that has had a year to learn the offense and most key players returning. The '06 defense was a championship defense all season and should prove to be the same in '07.

I am not saying because we're better this year so I expect us to beat UM.
I just expect a better performance than at NCState, or the other first of the season games.

ncman071
July 20th, 2007, 12:24 PM
i've always felt it's a little unfair to compare the gap between FCS and FBS teams. Normally they tend to play within the first 2 weeks of the year. And yes i know that its the first game between both teams but when your talking about an FBS teams with 22 more scholorships that have been practicing the whole time, its a huge difference. A team like Appalachian usually takes the first 3 games of the season just to get their offense going consistantly. just look at what happened to years ago at LSU. the game was played after midseason and app moved the ball very well. no we didnt get any points, although we dropped a sure touchdown pass and missed a makeable field goal. I honestly believe if we would have played NCState mid year we would have won the ball game. but anyway, i really hope App puts up a good fight and comes away with no major injuries. i think thats the most realistic thing we can hope for.

Retro
July 20th, 2007, 05:14 PM
The good thing is that your playing them in the first game, so they will make mistakes and like any team will have to make immediate adjustments in some areas..

The bad thing is that they know your defending champs and i'm sure they won't take you as lightly as maybe an FCS team that didn't make the playoffs...

I'm not sure how many returning starters michigan has, but the less the better as lack of team chemistry will benefit app state if anything..

All in all, app has to capitalize on every michigan mistake and not make a lot themselves... xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
July 20th, 2007, 05:35 PM
No, Montana may be as talented as Appy, but I don't think we're as big as them, and would get plain worn down against Michigan, like we did against Iowa.

Not as big as ASU? xconfusedx

You fellers must be eentsy tiny! No one we played last year was smaller at almost any position than we were. I recall an AGS poster saying he sat beside two YSU fans at the playoff game. The YSU guys were deep in discussion prior to the game during warmups & then one leaned over & asked the App fan, "Where are your big guys?" The reply was they were all out there. To which, the YSU fans laughed heartily, apparently thinking the game was already theirs. Not. Speed is the main factor anymore.

Now, obviously, I am not saying we can hang with Michigan for four quarters. But, it will be a ballgame.

james_lawfirm
July 20th, 2007, 05:36 PM

Gil:

Should we ever meet, I'll buy you a beer!!

james_lawfirm
July 20th, 2007, 05:44 PM

Yep, sure do. And I have been thinking (dreaming may be a better description.) Let's assume for a minute that ASU BEATS MICHIGAN at the Big House! OK, now then what happens the next week against Div. 2, Lenoir Rhyne College? The coaches biggest challenge will be preventing the mental letdown that next week against LRC. There will be a tendency for the players to have already made up their minds that they have won that game before it started. Perfect time for an upset!! Yikes.

That's what happened last year for MSU when they beat Colorado & then lost to a Div. 2 school.

And, in fact, this scenario may occur if App just goes up there to the Big House and plays really well, but loses by a small margin.

All this stuff is unlikely, but possible. I am just asking "What if? ..."

james_lawfirm
July 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM

You keep saying that. I think it will be close well into the third and maybe the fourth quarter. No way is this a blowout per some Mich. fans posts on their web-blogs.

james_lawfirm
July 20th, 2007, 05:52 PM
And yes i know that its the first game between both teams but when your talking about an FBS teams with 22 more scholorships that have been practicing the whole time, its a huge difference.

Are you saying that FBS teams get to practice any more than FCS teams do? I do not think that is correct. I think the NCAA limits the number of practices quite severely. I had always assumed that the rules for number of practices were the same throughout Div. 1 (that's both FBS & FCS for you posters who don't understand).

I know they get 22 more scholarship players.

Can anyone shed light on this if the number of practices are different?

Umass74
July 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM

No. UMass and Appalachian State are Division I. The same practice rules apply to us and Notre Dame and Michigan.

james_lawfirm
July 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
No. UMass and Appalachian State are Division I. The same practice rules apply to us and Notre Dame and Michigan.

Thanks.

GoGuins
July 20th, 2007, 07:53 PM

I've talked to 2 Michigan players about the game and they said the general consensus on the team is they respect what ASU has done and are not taking them lightly. They are looking to come out and dominate early and put the game away before half

And it will be 110k+ fans

GoGuins
July 20th, 2007, 07:54 PM
You keep saying that. I think it will be close well into the third and maybe the fourth quarter. No way is this a blowout per some Mich. fans posts on their web-blogs.

If it's not a blowout I'm giving up my season tix:D

already123
July 20th, 2007, 09:22 PM
Not too many FBS teams have a legit shot against Michigan (outside of the top 30...maybe) so what makes FCS any different?

T-Dog
July 20th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I've talked to 2 Michigan players about the game and they said the general consensus on the team is they respect what ASU has done and are not taking them lightly. They are looking to come out and dominate early and put the game away before half

And it will be 110k+ fans

To be fair, why wouldn't they say that. If they said something to the effect of "yeah, practice game", that's locker room material right there. Plus, then they might have to eat their words later on.

I remember the LSU coach and players had nothing but nice things to say about us all week. The worse thing they said was that the didn't want any injuries before the Bama game next week (and to be fair, we had Western the week after so we were saying the same thing).

So after the game when for 55 minutes we scared the hell out of their fans, they didn't have to eat any words because they didn't say anything bad. That might have not been the attitude in the locker room but I don't know that.

Just saying that it would be foolhardy to say anything other than good things about ANY opponent and the players know this.

As for the thread, I'm not sure. We got the speed in the spread option against brute force. And we all know what happens when speedy spread option teams from the south go up against midwest power teams. xthumbsupx

We're probably the best possible FCS matchup for UM. Those UM linebackers have to stay on their toes or we will burn them a time or two. Maybe Montana but there more power-based. I dunno. If GaSo had a top level team with the Triple Option then they could be good matchup.

ncman071
July 20th, 2007, 11:43 PM
Are you saying that FBS teams get to practice any more than FCS teams do? I do not think that is correct. I think the NCAA limits the number of practices quite severely. I had always assumed that the rules for number of practices were the same throughout Div. 1 (that's both FBS & FCS for you posters who don't understand).

I know they get 22 more scholarship players.

no, i wasnt saying that FBS have more practices than FCS, i was just saying that the extra scholorship athletes that michigan has will have been in their rotation thruout preseason and we have 22 fewer scholorships available that dont exist during those same practices. nevermind. xeyebrowx

ngineer
July 20th, 2007, 11:44 PM
I think ASU can hang around. The biggest difference is usually in depth and that will show in the second half--also depending on the type of day that could call for more subs (i.e. can be real hot in early September). Staying healthy is also a big concern. Incidence of injury rises with fatigue. I would love to see the big upset. UM has struggled in the past with teams from conferences viewed as 'lesser lights', and while the Wolverines SHOULD be favored by three touchdowns, I think it will be closer.

Zoo
July 21st, 2007, 03:27 AM
I remember Ball State almost catching Michigan sleeping and they lost by less then 10 points at the Big House.

Maybe the Mountaineers can do the same thing as Ball State.

No_Skill
July 21st, 2007, 08:34 AM
I remember Ball State almost catching Michigan sleeping and they lost by less then 10 points at the Big House.

Maybe the Mountaineers can do the same thing as Ball State.

Ball State...that team sounds familiar for some reason. ;)

Saint3333
July 21st, 2007, 09:34 AM

I believe ASU loses by 3-4 TDs. Depending on turnovers it could move the range up or down 10 points.

I always believe there's a chance, but any ASU fan expecting a win or playing them within 10 points is drinking too much kool aid. I'll be there just in case though xsmiley_wix.

Ronbo
July 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM
Here's a fun thought. Take the hardest hitting guy on your defense, now multiply him times 11. That's what you'll face in the starting Michigan defense. That'll be some kind of fun. Good luck ASU. We will be rooting for you.

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2007, 11:29 AM
If it's not a blowout I'm giving up my season tix:D

Define blowout? 15,20,25,30 points??

Giving up season tickets? Lets change it to you'll become a wholehearted APP State fanatic except when they play Da Guins.xsmileyclapx

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Here's a fun thought. Take the hardest hitting guy on your defense, now multiply him times 11. That's what you'll face in the starting Michigan defense. That'll be some kind of fun. Good luck ASU. We will be rooting for you.

Michigan defense is replacing many pro's. ASU's o-line is returning everyone and has played FBS quality before. We won't be afraid or overwhelmed.
Thanks for wishing us luck and remember to watch us on Sept.1 BIGTEN channel,Directv.
I'll be the APP fan with yellow "A" flag.

laxVik
July 21st, 2007, 11:44 AM
I like the attitude. I really do. But you don't have a chance. Well maybe a "chance", but I'd place a higher probability of a link being found between 9/11 and Iraq than ASU beating UM.

Saint3333
July 21st, 2007, 11:47 AM
Michigan defense is replacing many pro's. ASU's o-line is returning everyone and has played FBS quality before. We won't be afraid or overwhelmed.
Thanks for wishing us luck and remember to watch us on Sept.1 BIGTEN channel,Directv.
I'll be the APP fan with yellow "A" flag.

ASU lost two starters on the o-line. There are quality replacements and a recruit named Ruff that could fill in nicely though.

I doubt they allow flags (on poles) into the stadium.

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2007, 11:49 AM
I like the attitude. I really do. But you don't have a chance. Well maybe a "chance", but I'd place a higher probability of a link being found between 9/11 and Iraq than ASU beating UM.

APP IS NOT BEATING MICHIGAN UNLESS MICHIGAN LAYS THE BIGGEST EGG EVER.

But APP will play a hard fought game and show themselves well.xnodx

laxVik
July 21st, 2007, 11:58 AM
But APP will play a hard fought game and show themselves well.xnodxCan't ask more than that. xthumbsupx

And as I'm no fan of the Big10 (as a Pac10 fan) I hope you put the hurt on 'em. For a few quarters at least. Those smug Mich fans. Ooohh I hate them so much...xlolx

ncman071
July 21st, 2007, 03:21 PM
i'm just so damn excited about this game and ASU's season that i'm about to strap on the pads and play.

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2007, 03:37 PM
i'm just so damn excited about this game and ASU's season that i'm about to strap on the pads and play.

I am feeling the same way. 11 days till opening day of practice.

PSUVikings
July 21st, 2007, 03:43 PM
In reality the talent difference between App State and Michigan is very very wide. App State hasn't been an FBS team this entire decade, this isn't Wyoming, this isn't Marshall, this is Michigan, 100,000 fans all opposed to App State, they will not be prepared for this nor will they be ready for Lloyd Carr and the Big Blue. App State should get pulverized in this game.

Mountain Panther
July 21st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Can this be the last ASU vs Michigan thread.....please?

Mountaineer
July 21st, 2007, 04:54 PM
In reality the talent difference between App State and Michigan is very very wide. App State hasn't been an FBS team this entire decade, this isn't Wyoming, this isn't Marshall, this is Michigan, 100,000 fans all opposed to App State, they will not be prepared for this nor will they be ready for Lloyd Carr and the Big Blue. App State should get pulverized in this game.

May be very well and true. Not sure why you're so concerned though. Wake me when your program does something other than hire a new coach. ;) xshhhx xboringx

laxVik
July 21st, 2007, 05:19 PM
May be very well and true. Not sure why you're so concerned though. Wake me when your program does something other than hire a new coach. ;) xshhhx xboringx
Oh geez. No opinions should be expressed here unless by ASU or UM fans. I get it.

Sam Adams
July 21st, 2007, 05:36 PM
Michigan seems like a tough opener. Could be a long afternoon. But I'll be rooting for Edwards to bust out an upset in the big house. Go App!

KAUMASS
July 21st, 2007, 07:15 PM
Why not App. State? Here is some info for any naysayer's. I for one believe.

When comparing commen opponents who played Michigan and top 5 FCS teams from last year, the gap is smaller than most people think.

Ball State lost to Michigan by 8. NDSU beat Ball State by 5. Michigan beat Minnesota by 14, NDSU lost to Minnesota by 1. Michigan beat Northwestern by 14. New Hampshire beat Northwestern by 17.

Highlight of Stats:
Ball St. vs. Michigan-T.Y.-B.S.-297 -ran 22 for 47 yds. Michigan- 507.total yards. Total offensive plays-B.S.-56, Mich. 71.

NDSU vs. Ball State-T.Y.-NDSU-535, 70 plays. B.S.-399, 56 plays. Ran 23for 87 yards.

Minnesota vs. Michigan-T.Y.-Mich-518, 69 plays-ran 45 for 252 yds. 18 first downs. Minn-323, 58 plays,ran 24 for 115 . 23 first downs.

NDSU vs. Minnesota-T.Y.-NDSU-389, 76 plays. ran 39-143.23 first downs. Minn-249, 54 plays. ran 30-99, 12 first downs.

Michigan vs. Northwestern-T.Y.-Mich-318, 66 plays. Ran for 202 yds. 16 first downs. N.W.-191, 59 plays, 10 first downs, -13 rushing.
*Game played in moderate rain with wind.*

New Hampshire vs. Northwestern. T.Y-New Hampshire-360, 67 plays. Ran 43-123, 18 first downs, 5 penalties for 50 yds. N.W.-329, 67 plays, ran 35 for 187. 18 first downs, 0 penalties.

Sagarian Power rankings-2006 all Division 1-FBS/FCS-241 teams ranked.

Michigan-7
Ball State-98
NDSU-57
New Hampshire-89
Minnesota 48
App. State-53 * highest of FCS*
UMass-59
Montana-70
Northwestern-93

I followed Sagarians rankings last year. For the most part, they were on and the lower ranked team usually won.(#16 defeated #24). They are always surprises, and based upon statistics, App. State has a shot. Thats why the play the game and why this site is Any Given Saturday. This is not Florida playing Western Carolina last year. (not a swipe to Western, they were not a top team last year and Florida went home with a National FBS title.)

App. State will give Michigan a game. Any top 5 FCS team is equivilent to a lower tier Big 10 team any given year, regardless of the scholie difference. However, this is a new year and last year was last year. I believe App. State will be just as good as last year with the players they have returning. I saw them live in Chatty last year and they are a buzz saw. It would be scary if they are better than last year.

BOL App. State and bring a storm into Ann Arbor.

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2007, 09:11 PM

I just want you to watch the game and Give us an honest opinion after the game. APP has nothing to lose. WE are excited to play at THE BIG HOUSE and we are going to enjoy the WHOLE ride. If we get our A$$ kicked then fine, but I guarantee you one thing, Michigan will remember the fight they got from APP.

phillyAPP
July 21st, 2007, 09:24 PM
Oh geez. No opinions should be expressed here unless by ASU or UM fans. I get it.

No that isn't it. APP fans are really excited and we know that the game can go many different ways. We hope Michigan takes us lightly and expects a blowout,they will have to fight every down no matter what the score is.

I think some of APP's biggest supporters are teams over the last two years that we have beaten. We have been hearing how beatable we are and the fact is we have beaten them in blowouts and close games. APP is game tested and actually getting better. Coach Moore is a conservative coach and says that this team is the best he has ever had. This years offense is way ahead of last years, and the defense which was supposed to be weak on the D-line is now deep.

laxVik
July 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
No that isn't it. APP fans are really excited and we know that the game can go many different ways. We hope Michigan takes us lightly and expects a blowout,they will have to fight every down no matter what the score is.

I think some of APP's biggest supporters are teams over the last two years that we have beaten. We have been hearing how beatable we are and the fact is we have beaten them in blowouts and close games. APP is game tested and actually getting better. Coach Moore is a conservative coach and says that this team is the best he has ever had. This years offense is way ahead of last years, and the defense which was supposed to be weak on the D-line is now deep.
That's nice and all, but facts remain...ASU's gonna lose in a landslide.

GGASU
July 21st, 2007, 11:18 PM
That's nice and all, but facts remain...ASU's gonna lose in a landslide.

Betting Line will be around 28. So if you think Michigan is going to cover, go ahead and join the numerous sportbooks that put lines on FCS games.

Be careful though with the two new additions to the DL...I am not sure any team can score 28 on the Mountaineers.

patssle
July 21st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Be careful though with the two new additions to the DL...I am not sure any team can score 28 on the Mountaineers.

Your DL might be awesome for FCS, but its FCS. Don't take it personally, but if your DL is capable of holding Michigan to less than 28, then they would/should be playing in the upper-tier BCS FBS.

BULLDOG8180
July 22nd, 2007, 12:17 AM
Ok, should Michigan win the game, yes. But really that is all you can say. What is the main difference? Yes, Michigan has 22 more scholarship's but probably everyone that plays in the game for ASU will be a scholarship player. Who gets scholarships to Michigan? A few 5 star, 4 star and 3 star recruits that had a couple (usually) of outstanding high school years. The lineman are BIG already. Whats the difference in ASU recruits? Well, they get 3 star and 2 star recruits. Some that just came off an outstanding senior season, and sometimes their recruits haven't matured or filled in, App St. "develops" more players than Michigan.
Can some of ASU players start for Michigan? Probably.

The biggest difference between FBS and FCS isn't size, it is speed. ASU is probably the fastest FCS team in the country- can the match up against Michigan? Not across the entire field, but possibly enough to stay close.

Believe me, the difference in how hard they hit will not be great.

I personally do not believe it will be a blowout.

seantaylor
July 22nd, 2007, 01:02 AM
You're wrong about that. The biggest difference is size. Look at the size of the starting LB's for both team. And DL's. When GSU played UGA a few years ago, we were the faster team. They were the much bigger and deeper team. We still put up more points on them than anyone that year, including 14-0 Auburn.

phillyAPP
July 22nd, 2007, 07:40 AM
You're wrong about that. The biggest difference is size. Look at the size of the starting LB's for both team. And DL's. When GSU played UGA a few years ago, we were the faster team. They were the much bigger and deeper team. We still put up more points on them than anyone that year, including 14-0 Auburn.

Sean I agree with you 100 %

laxVik
July 22nd, 2007, 10:08 AM
I am not sure any team can score 28 on the Mountaineers.That's laughable. Ha. xrolleyesx

Kill'em
July 22nd, 2007, 10:36 AM

I think Michigan's size and depth will be the key. App has the talent and the speed. Controlling the clock and taking care of the ball will be important for App to keep it close. Another advantage for App is they will be practicing all summer preparing for Michigan but I doubt Michigan will spend that much time preparing for App.
If App were to keep it close they will be a team no one will want to play the rest of the year.

phillyAPP
July 22nd, 2007, 11:02 AM
I think Michigan's size and depth will be the key. App has the talent and the speed. Controlling the clock and taking care of the ball will be important for App to keep it close. Another advantage for App is they will be practicing all summer preparing for Michigan but I doubt Michigan will spend that much time preparing for App.
If App were to keep it close they will be a team no one will want to play the rest of the year.

Kill em - you are scaring me alittle. You might be the second or third GSU fan that I agree with often.My coworker played at GSU 89-93. It took me this past two years to convince him we are the new GSU of the FCS. I told him i can't imagine winning six NC's like you guys did, but I'll take 3 in a row like no one else!!!!!!! I am enjoying the ride APP is having. I know GSU is coming back soon. Maybe as fast as this year. The talent and heart are in the team. I was at APP-GSU game and GSU fought until they had nothing left. I was exhausted after that game.

No_Skill
July 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM

So, you hope you don't get Michigan's best game? That's crap if you ask me. You should want and expect thier best.

When the Minnesota game was over all we heard from Gopher fans was that they weren't up for the game and the retro jerseys distracted them xrolleyesx. What a bunch of BS. I watched every snap of that game and in my opinion, NDSU wins that game 7 times out of 10.

Michigan has NO EXCUSE not to be "up" for this game. First game of the year, 100K fans, and not to mention the fact that anything less than a 3 TD victory will raise questions in Ann Arbor.

That being said. If App plays UM close, expect the excuses to roll.

BULLDOG8180
July 22nd, 2007, 02:13 PM

In your opinion I'm wrong- And I doubt GS was faster than UGA.xcoffeex

phillyAPP
July 22nd, 2007, 02:16 PM
So, you hope you don't get Michigan's best game? That's crap if you ask me. You should want and expect thier best.

When the Minnesota game was over all we heard from Gopher fans was that they weren't up for the game and the retro jerseys distracted them xrolleyesx. What a bunch of BS. I watched every snap of that game and in my opinion, NDSU wins that game 7 times out of 10.

Michigan has NO EXCUSE not to be "up" for this game. First game of the year, 100K fans, and not to mention the fact that anything less than a 3 TD victory will raise questions in Ann Arbor.

That being said. If App plays UM close, expect the excuses to roll.

I LOVE when a FBS has excuses why they lost to a FCS. I LOVE the fact they have ALL the pressure to BLOW App out. They can cry ALL they want, I know APP STATE will fight every play of the game. ALL of Michigan's excuses will be just that, EXCUSES. I don't care whether they are ready or not.

BTW, you sound like your ready for some FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

AppStateMan
July 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Jerry Moore is a conservative coach. He will not play to win this game. Just like the NC State game we will play to fine tune the team and get the first game jitters out of the players. Expect to see him play some of the younger guys in the second half. Jerry will not risk playing Armanti Edwards the whole game neither will he risk Richardson running the ball every down. Any injuries that early in the season would kill Apps chances of a 3 peat!!!! To prove my point at the LSU game when App had the chance to try and maybe score some points and make the game even closer, Jerry took Richie Williams out and put Trey Elder in. Jerry Moore does not care about beating Michigan, all he wants to do is win the Southern Conference.
The only way App wins or any other FCS team wins is if Michigan makes a lot of mistakes and the opposition takes advantage of those.

AppStateMan
July 22nd, 2007, 03:27 PM
I know what you mean. They won't lose any respect from me as long as they give a good effort and play smart.
And if there's no significant momentum, I just hope the staff does what it takes to preserve our franchise offenseive players, AE and KR. At this point in time, the FCS games are more important. Plus it seems we play better after we are humbled by a program like Michigan's.

Exactly! Poor, Poor, Poor Lenoir-Rhyne. Jerry Moore and his staff are excellent coaches and will play the Michigan game smart. He is the master of FCS which is why he and his staff have won back-2-back championships. They will not risk anything for a chance to win 3!!!
I just cant wait to see my Apps face UM at "The Big House"!!

Kill'em
July 22nd, 2007, 05:13 PM
I scare a lot of people. xlolx Seriously, those were keys in our game with uga in '04 and are probably important for any FCS team playing a BS team.

james_lawfirm
July 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
Jerry Moore is a conservative coach. He will not play to win this game. ... Jerry Moore does not care about beating Michigan, all he wants to do is win the Southern Conference.

At first, I was going to call you on all of these statements. But then I decided that I sort of agree and sort of disagree.

I agree that Coach Moore is "conservative" - whatever that means. Yep, you won't see any balls-to-the-wall, lip-spittin, crazy person who is stompin' up and down the sidelines hollerin' for his players to "play hard" or cussin' at the refs. But, you will see a calm and wise Coach who has experienced almost every outcome of a football game - some that could not be dreamed in advance. He knows the advantages that Mich. has over the Mountaineers. He also know ASU's advantages. And, I agree that he wants to win the SoCon, because that is how to guarantee an auto-bid.

But, I completely disagree that he & ASU will not "play to win" and "does not care about beating Mich." You better believe he is going to try to beat Mich. ASU is in a "no-lose" situation up there. If they get blown out, well that's what the Mich. faithful & many FBS-ers expect. If its close, we can claim a "moral" victory and build the rest of our season from there. If we win, WOW!

Let me remind you that this is but one game in an entire season. That should put it better perspective. I am confident ASU will give them our best shot!

PSUVikings
July 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM

I'm not concerned, just pointing out that Michigan will make ASU a new A$$hole.

Kill'em
July 22nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
If Moore doesn't want to win, the why play the game? Neither Paul Johnson nor Mike Sewak would ever play a game just for the money. After the Oregon St game, PJ was pissed they didn't win. This was an OSU team that was near the top of the PAC-10. I think Moore wants to win this one as much as any other. He is a winner and winners NEVER settle for losing.

No_Skill
July 22nd, 2007, 08:00 PM
I LOVE when a FBS has excuses why they lost to a FCS. I LOVE the fact they have ALL the pressure to BLOW App out. They can cry ALL they want, I know APP STATE will fight every play of the game. ALL of Michigan's excuses will be just that, EXCUSES. I don't care whether they are ready or not.

BTW, you sound like your ready for some FOOTBALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx xbeerchugx

Damn right! For what it's worth, I'll be rooting for App on Sept. 1 xthumbsupx

james_lawfirm
July 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM

WOW! You really zinged us that time. I did not realize that PSUFANS were so well-$poken!

james_lawfirm
July 22nd, 2007, 08:34 PM
If Moore doesn't want to win, the why play the game? Neither Paul Johnson nor Mike Sewak would ever play a game just for the money. After the Oregon St game, PJ was pissed they didn't win. This was an OSU team that was near the top of the PAC-10. I think Moore wants to win this one as much as any other. He is a winner and winners NEVER settle for losing.

My point exactly.

phillyAPP
July 22nd, 2007, 09:22 PM

And if we get beat by less than the 28 point spread then YOU (PSUFAN10) will be the a$$hole.

You sure do have enough "APP ENVEY". xthumbsupx
Maybe IF your team gets good enough we'll clean PSU's clock like Michigan will APP's. xsmiley_wix
But first you have to get good enough to make the playoffs.xpeacex

Tune into bigten network sept1 noontime xrolleyesx

SoCon48
July 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
WOW! You really zinged us that time. I did not realize that PSUFANS were so well-$poken!

WTF is PSU?

james_lawfirm
July 23rd, 2007, 07:57 AM
WTF is PSU?

Isn't it Portland State in the Big Sky? If not, I have no idea.

SoCon48
July 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM
its gonna be hard for app to get up for other teams, after this big game?

Not normally. This type game is usually an eye opener on what the team needs to work on for the following game.
The tough part about a game like this is that the things that would work against most FCS teams won't work against a team like Michigan thus altering the usual strategies and play calling. In additiuon, the intimidation facor usually takes a quarter or so to overcome.

SoCon48
July 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
Isn't it Portland State in the Big Sky? If not, I have no idea.

That would fit. Otherwise I was thinking maybe Pembroke State University.;)

Ivytalk
July 23rd, 2007, 08:53 AM

I agree with this post. If it's a four-TD point spread, I'd bet on App State to beat it. Something like 35-10 seems about right to me.

UncleSam
July 23rd, 2007, 08:56 AM
Disinterest and turnovers by Michigan are what ASU or any FCS school would need to keep this one competitive.

89Hen
July 23rd, 2007, 09:13 AM
Something that I think a lot of people who are holding out hope are forgetting is that this is a Michigan team that many are picking to win the Big 10 and be a BCS bowl team. Every indication is that this won't be an 8-4 team. That said, Michigan also isn't a team that racks up the points and piles on a team. They can win 35-14 and have the game never be close.

EllsworthGriz
July 23rd, 2007, 09:49 AM
I wish we could get away from playing these type of games. I know its fun to go to Iowa or Oregan and watch your team play against that level of talent. But in the end it always ends the same, with a butt kicking and a big fat check. I would much rather see Montana and App go at it early in the year than App and Michigan. We need to match the top of the 1-AA against each other. That would hold the fans interests longer then the first quarter of the APP, Michigan game.

Mountain Panther
July 23rd, 2007, 10:59 AM
I wish we could get away from playing these type of games. I know its fun to go to Iowa or Oregan and watch your team play against that level of talent. But in the end it always ends the same, with a butt kicking and a big fat check. I would much rather see Montana and App go at it early in the year than App and Michigan. We need to match the top of the 1-AA against each other. That would hold the fans interests longer then the first quarter of the APP, Michigan game.

Except in the rare case there's an upset. We would have never beaten Kansas State or Iowa State if we had never scheduled them xthumbsupx .

SoCon48
July 23rd, 2007, 11:18 AM
Except in the rare case there's an upset. We would have never beaten Kansas State or Iowa State if we had never scheduled them xthumbsupx .

Montana-App would be a great game, but no way they could offer each other the money and exposure the ASU-Michigan game will.
Plus the outcome would screw up each others' seedings later on.

SoCon48
July 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
Any team, FCS or FBS who can play Michigan to within 3 TD's will be quite happy with themselves.

No_Skill
July 23rd, 2007, 12:39 PM
Just before the Michigan v App game was scheduled there were some rumblings of a game with NDSU (I think we shared an open date). I would have loved that game, but if we were in App's shoes I think we would have done the same thing. $$$$$xthumbsupx

Black Saturday
July 23rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

I hope someone has already responded to you. Does LSU ring a bell to you. If they ain't FBS, then who is?xrotatehx

laxVik
July 23rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
I hope someone has already responded to you. Does LSU ring a bell to you. If they ain't FBS, then who is?xrotatehxDid you win at LSU? No. The smugness out of a lot of you ASU fans is staggering.

Gil Dobie
September 1st, 2007, 04:49 PM

Bump xthumbsupx

igo4uni
September 1st, 2007, 04:53 PM
Bump xthumbsupx

You self promoter you!!!

Nice prediction, though!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

ASU
September 8th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Bump xthumbsupx

Your quote here and my prediction of ASU 28 and Michigan 24 on the Michigan board are the only ones I have seen predicting Appalachian to beat Michigan. (under Pigskin Steve on their board.)

JohnStOnge
September 8th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I don't know about "better," but after watching Michigan against Oregon today I would certainly not be surprised to see another top FCS do just as well (i.e., beat the Wolverines). They obviously have some pretty serious problems on defense. At this point Oregon has 570 yards of offense and there's still more than 9 minutes to go in the game. Looks like, unless Oregon starts kneeling, the Ducks will go over 600.

I wish it weren't the case because I'd like to be able to say an FCS beat a good BCS league team. But I think it's looking like Michigan is not a good BCS league team. Looks like this may be the worst Michigan team in a long, long time. Probably in my football watching lifetime.

Won't know for sure until after the season goes on for a while but it's sure looking like that. They look terrible.

CopperCat
September 8th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Montana-App would be a great game, but no way they could offer each other the money and exposure the ASU-Michigan game will.
Plus the outcome would screw up each others' seedings later on.

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

proasu89
September 8th, 2007, 08:19 PM

Pretty good 2nd post there Troy. :p Can't wait to read the 3rdxsmiley_wix