PDA

View Full Version : 2007 NEC Predictions

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 12:36 PM
NFL camp is just days away, college teams are beginning to gear up. It's prediction time.

My predictions for the Northeast Conference:
1. Monmouth 8-2 (5-1)
Hawks stumble out of the gate, losing to Maine and an overtime nail-biter to Robert Morris, but they rattle off eight straight wins, including a thriller against Albany in the final conference game of the season. David Sinisi earns NEC Offensive Player of the Year as the Monmouth ground game picks up steam after the RMU loss.

1. Robert Morris 8-2 (5-1)
Colonials come out hot, winning seven straight, including wins over VMI and on the road versus Monmouth and Central Connecticut State, but they can't exercise two demons: Albany and Duquesne. They lose a bruiser on the Bluff against local rival Duquesne, lick their wounds for a week, and then have another physical game versus Albany. Only a final home game against weak Sacred Heart salvages the season from limping away.

1. Albany 8-3 (5-1)
Danes can't quite sneak by Colgate and suffer from jet-lag in their trip to Montana, but otherwise roar through their schedule. Only unexpected complication comes in their trip to West Long Branch and that game versus Monmouth. That loss, which follows the aforementioned win over Robert Morris, throws the NEC into a three-way tie. Albany finishes the season with a win over Central Connecticut State.

4. Central Connecticut State 6-5 (3-3)
Blue Devils miss Justise Hairston and can't find a horse to get behind for the entire season. Highlight is the game versus Western Michigan, where the Blue Devils play well for a half before fading late. Blue Devils can't top any of the top three teams but handle the ones below them very well.

5. Sacred Heart 5-6 (2-4)
The Pioneers enjoy an early season three game win streak (Assumption, La Salle, and Iona) but hit the skids once conference play hits. They lose five of six to finish out another rebuilding season.

6. St. Francis of PA 2-8 (1-5)
With most of their key weapons gone on offense, the Red Flash look to the future and manage only wins versus Morehead State and Wagner.

7. Wagner 2-9 (0-6)
Seahawks continue to have problems in the NEC, managing wins versus Iona and Western Connecticut State. Tough draws versus Marist, La Salle, and Jacksonville prevent Wagner from making noise outside of the NEC.

So there you have it. Pick away. xthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
July 19th, 2007, 02:25 PM
xlolx xlolx xlolx

I won't say a word. I'll just say that my picks are not anything like yours.

bluehenbillk
July 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Laughable is correct.

Dane96
July 19th, 2007, 02:49 PM
He is laughed at often.

Seahawks Fan
July 19th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Wagner is 5-0 lifetime vs. LaSalle. We beat them last year on the road 38-15. And you think we can't beat them at home this year. Why?

Dane96
July 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
1. Albany- Defense is going to be stellar...and if Blasinsky comes through (with some big time help up front), the offense will finally be back on track.

2. CCSU- A very close second. They may even win the thing. Yes, Western Michigan may throttle them...but kudos for stepping it up HUGE!

3. Monmouth- Loses alot on offense, but this team can never be counted out.

4. Robert Morris- Much improved at the end of the year, but still too young and too many scholarships shy of taking the next step. A year away.

5. Sacred Heart- Always scares the bejeezus out of you...but last few years have been unkind to them.

6. -7. Wagner/St. Francis- Total coin flip. St. Francis has some firepower and a host of young guys...but they always seem to have a host of young guys who are poised to take the next step...and never do. Wagner...simply does not have the resources right now to complete with the top-half of the league. I hope they step it up soon.

And for the record...NO TEAM IS GOING 5-1 in this conference.

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 04:01 PM
Wagner is 5-0 lifetime vs. LaSalle. We beat them last year on the road 38-15. And you think we can't beat them at home this year. Why?

Honestly? Gut feeling. La Salle is my pick in the MAAC to show great improvement. They've had a decent amount of turnover and I think they'll finally find some stability on the field this year as they prepare to answer some questions off the field for 2008.

I just was not impressed in watching Wagner against the NEC and comparable opponents last year. The game that I scrutinized the most, versus Robert Morris (of course), should not have been 14-10. The Colonials turned the ball over 5 times, and they were not really forced turnovers. It was incompetence on behalf of the offense, especially Erik Cwalinski.

I do like Matt Abbey, but I think with Turner leaving, I'm just not sure Abbey has the most reliable hands to get the ball to, and I think that hurts the Seahawks.

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 04:06 PM
2. CCSU- A very close second. They may even win the thing. Yes, Western Michigan may throttle them...but kudos for stepping it up HUGE!

And for the record...NO TEAM IS GOING 5-1 in this conference.

Dane, the reason I had CCSU as 3-3 in the NEC is because of the loss of Justise Hairston. The Blue Devils were a one-dimensional team last year, although that dimension was incredible. I don't think they have the personnel to repeat that type of performance, especially with the offensive line being EXTREMELY young. I like JoJo Freeman and the rest of the stable of running backs, but I don't think they help a beleaguered passing game and I don't think they can match Hairston's performance.

Dane96
July 19th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Did you pay attention to WHY they were one-dimensional? Find out.

Then, get back to me.

aceinthehole
July 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Dane, the reason I had CCSU as 3-3 in the NEC is because of the loss of Justise Hairston. The Blue Devils were a one-dimensional team last year, although that dimension was incredible. I don't think they have the personnel to repeat that type of performance, especially with the offensive line being EXTREMELY young. I like JoJo Freeman and the rest of the stable of running backs, but I don't think they help a beleaguered passing game and I don't think they can match Hairston's performance.

We don't have Hariston in the backfield, but before that we had Harge, and we have Jo Jo Freeman and a few other very talented RB. Don't forget Aubrey Norris return at QB and is is like another RB. Ask Monmouth fans and other from the NEC what they think of him from 2005.

Albany dfense is the tops. If they have solid QB and special teams play they will be very tough to beat.

Monmouth actually lost more talent on both sides of the ball than CCSU or UA. IMO, losing a vet QB like Boland will hurt the Hawks more than CCSU losing a NFL draft pick. I also think they lost some D.

Dane96
July 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
And Ace answered my rhetorical question perfectly. CCSU lost a nice little QB last year that is going to give the league fits.

rmutv
July 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Well, I hope the Blue Devils prove me wrong. But that's why we make predictions, isn't it? We all think that the season will come out one way, but they still have to play the games. And at the risk of repeating myself endlessly, anything can happen on Any Given Saturday!

The NEC will be tough this year.

And I'll expand on this a tad bit more in regards to Central Connecticut State...I realize Norris is coming back, and I recognize that Freeman and company provide a quality backfield. I'm just confident in Norris providing enough of an aerial attack to keep the Blue Devils from being more than a team based on the ground. Norris only attempted 127 passes in 2005, doing far more damage with his legs while in 2006, a relatively average quarterback in Erik Cwalinski completed 157 - 30 more than Norris ever even attempted. Norris is a heck of an athlete, but I don't think that the CCSU ground game - even with Norris - can make up for the loss of Hairston.

That said, I have CCSU finishing at about the same position they did last year with about the same record.

Keeping Monmouth high comes out of being proven wrong again and again by the Hawks. I refuse to predict down years anymore for the Hawks!

Dane96
July 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Again, the argument (and I respect your opinion) makes little sense. UA has been a ground team for the past 6 seasons (averging epic numbers). Georgia Southern ran the ball down people's gullets.

Not sure how, if Norris is as good as many believe, CCSU's ground game couldn't win games without a huge air attack. Yes, it will be tough...but it has been done and these guys are battle tested at the highest levels.

danefan
July 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Here's my predictions without analysis. I only have a few minutes in between studying so no time for in-depth analysis yet:

1. Albany (very evenly matched with Central, but for some reason I feel it (homer alert). If Blasinsky plays like some of the glimpses we saw last year, there might be a 9-2 season here)
2. Central Conn. (Hairston loss hurts, but enough depth to overcome it)
3. & 4. RMU and/or Monmouth (RMU - young and Monmouth-a bit of rebuilding this year).
5. Sacred Heart (no real analysis here, except for some reason they always play UA tough)
6. Wagner (default position)
6. St. Francis (the Flash have been in some games in the past for one reason: Doria. He's gone and they have no shot)

aceinthehole
July 19th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Norris won the job in 2005 after Sheard stated 2005 season and won at Colgate. Norris led the win over GSU in 2006 and was hurt at SCSU and never returned. (I think he got a RS year for the injury)

Norris doesn't have a lot of attempts becasue in general CCSU had great RBs (Harge/Hariston), plus he could scramble and run himself. He did have some of the best QB ratings and completion % in the NEC. Basically, CCSU was a run first team, and pass a lot out of play fakes - I don't expect that to change for 2007.

He was not the type of true pocket passing QB that Monmouth, SFPA, or even Wagner had, but I think he'll be fine.

Albany is the most physical team in the league w/ the best D. As I said, if their QB and K are solid, its hard to pick against them. However, don't forget CCSU has an easier NEC schedule as we get UA, Monmouth, and RMU all at home.

Seawolf97
July 19th, 2007, 08:43 PM
We should re visit all this on November 18th.xcoffeex xcoffeex

Dane96
July 19th, 2007, 08:46 PM
Don't you have a conference to deal with? Oh...that's right.

:)

Seawolf97
July 19th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Maybe we should change our name to the Renegades or Rovers . Actually I see Albany taking the NEC- no Hairston at CCSU, graduations will hurt Monmouth- kind of softens the field a little.

BobbyMo
July 19th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Here's my predictions without analysis. I only have a few minutes in between studying so no time for in-depth analysis yet:

1. Albany (very evenly matched with Central, but for some reason I feel it (homer alert). If Blasinsky plays like some of the glimpses we saw last year, there might be a 9-2 season here)
2. Central Conn. (Hairston loss hurts, but enough depth to overcome it)
3. & 4. RMU and/or Monmouth (RMU - young and Monmouth-a bit of rebuilding this year).
5. Sacred Heart (no real analysis here, except for some reason they always play UA tough)
6. Wagner (default position)
6. St. Francis (the Flash have been in some games in the past for one reason: Doria. He's gone and they have no shot)

Danefan, I was going to say just about the same thing. I think Albany will win the NEC, they are the team to beat this year. CCSU will be good and i think they will be a second.
EDIT: I forgot about CCSU home NEC games.

Your short analysis on RMU and Monmouth is accurate. RMU could be a bit of sleeper if the young guys can figure it out, if not, I still see them at 4th/5th at the worst. That being said, I do not know much about the young guys on the other teams that could make an impact.

After having seen all the teams last year, the only change i would make would be Wagner and Sacred Heart. RMU had a few turnovers against Wagner, but thats part of the game. Wagner had a great chance get a win over RMU and just came up short, I think that turned their season downward last year.

Here goes...

1. Albany
2. CCSU
3. Monmouth/RMU
5. Wagner
6. Sacred Heart/SFUPA

Calif_Colonial
July 19th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Danefan, I was going to say just about the same thing. I think Albany will win the NEC, they are the team to beat this year. CCSU will be good and i think they will be a second.
EDIT: I forgot about CCSU home NEC games.

Your short analysis on RMU and Monmouth is accurate. RMU could be a bit of sleeper if the young guys can figure it out, if not, I still see them at 4th/5th at the worst. That being said, I do not know much about the young guys on the other teams that could make an impact.

After having seen all the teams last year, the only change i would make would be Wagner and Sacred Heart. RMU had a few turnovers against Wagner, but thats part of the game. Wagner had a great chance get a win over RMU and just came up short, I think that turned their season downward last year.

Here goes...

1. Albany
2. CCSU
3. Monmouth/RMU
5. Wagner
6. Sacred Heart/SFUPA

I have to agree with BobbyMo on his accessment for the coming season. The Colonials have I think 45 Freshman on the roster. It will be interesting to see what team will break the huddle this year. I will be coming in for the VMI and Wagner games. Hall of Fame and Homecoming games.

BobbyMo
July 19th, 2007, 09:34 PM
I have to agree with BobbyMo on his accessment for the coming season. The Colonials have I think 45 Freshman on the roster. It will be interesting to see what team will break the huddle this year. I will be coming in for the VMI and Wagner games. Hall of Fame and Homecoming games.

That is great, I am glad you are coming to town (check your PM). I do not think many RMU grads know how much of a rivalry is Wagner is, probably second only to the Dukes.

danefan
July 20th, 2007, 08:07 AM
And for what it's worth (nothing)....I think Stony Brook would have been even with Albany to win it. But don't feel too bad SBU, you'll surely be picked to finish first in your conference this season. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

aceinthehole
July 20th, 2007, 08:11 AM
The consensus seems to be that the top 4 teams in the NEC (those with a shot at the title) are: Albany, CCSU, Monmouth, and RMU. Albany and CCSU are expected to finish 1-2.

Sacred Heart, Wagner, and St. Francis will all likely finish in 5-7 (in any order).

I think this is a fair assesment, but it would be intersting to see if 1 season changes a lot. For example, can Wagner suprise us and finish 4th while Monmouth really struggles and finishes 6th? Its very doubtfull, but that why we are only making predictions.

BTW - good stuff NEC fans. I certainly will be rooting for you all in non-conference games! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
July 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM
And for what it's worth (nothing)....I think Stony Brook would have been even with Albany to win it. But don't feel too bad SBU, you'll surely be picked to finish first in your conference this season. xlolxxlolxxlolxxlolx

Agreed. Its too bad the NEC would have looked real good with UA, SBU, CCSU, Monmouth, and an improving RMU.

Seahawks Fan
July 20th, 2007, 08:46 AM
I agree Albany, CCSU, Monmouth and RMU are the favorites. In my opinion the wild card here is Monmouth. Do they find an adequate replacement for Boland at QB? And San Miguel at WR? The Hawks are always a very well coached and disciplined team. It would not surprise me if they repeat this year.

Wagner is coming off one of its worst years ever. I don't know what to expect.

Monmouth Fan
July 20th, 2007, 04:00 PM
In my opinion the wild card here is Monmouth. Do they find an adequate replacement for Boland at QB? And San Miguel at WR?

Seahawk fan; you're right on Boland; replacing him won't be easy not only because of his abilities but also because of his experience in running that offense for 4 years. But San Miguel is a 5th year senior this year so he returns which may help settle in the new QB. Right now it looks like the favorite will be Burke, who's been a backup now for 3 years. More importanly for Monmouth will be replacing the 9 defensive starters, many of which had been starting for several years (Jiles, Hill and Castellano come to mind).

JMG1MON
July 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM
I shudder to think of what Monmouth's defense is going to be like this season, at least in the early going. With that said, we have more talent on this team than we have ever had before. If the defense can jell, they could be pretty good again.

Seawolf97
July 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
Agreed. Its too bad the NEC would have looked real good with UA, SBU, CCSU, Monmouth, and an improving RMU.

Actually Im not sure if we are going to play against any NEC teams after this season. Our non conference schedule at home in 2008 will be Colgate, Hofstra and Elon plus 2 Big South Teams. On the road we have Maine plus 1 other no conference game then the remainder of the Big South. Hopefully this will change for 2009!

NFLCB2
July 23rd, 2007, 09:09 PM
I shudder to think of what Monmouth's defense is going to be like this season, at least in the early going. With that said, we have more talent on this team than we have ever had before. If the defense can jell, they could be pretty good again.

Who do they have set for Defense this year??

SBUFAN33
July 23rd, 2007, 09:52 PM
1. Central Connecticut
2. Ualbany - great defense, offense is going to hold them back
3. Robert Morris
4. Sacred Heart
5.Wagner - freshman full back is going to be a problem remember i told you this
6. St. Francis

downbythebeach
July 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM
Though we lost a lot of our offense with graduation and a few transfers......something like 10 of 11 defensive starters are returning.......is that a good thing......?

JMG1MON
July 23rd, 2007, 11:53 PM
1. Central Connecticut
3. Robert Morris
4. Sacred Heart
6. St. Francis

Damn, talk about getting dissed. What did you do, confuse us with SBU, the team without a conference this year????

JMG1MON
July 23rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
Who do they have set for Defense this year??

Not really sure who is going to step in. Only returning starters are a LB and a CB, all of the rest graduated.

Here is a link to the spring practice defensive preview.

http://www.gomuhawks.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=67823&SPID=7664&DB_OEM_ID=14300&ATCLID=868091

Seahawks Fan
July 24th, 2007, 06:57 AM
1. Central Connecticut
3. Robert Morris
4. Sacred Heart
6. St. Francis

I like Monmouth. lol

aceinthehole
July 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
Though we lost a lot of our offense with graduation and a few transfers......something like 10 of 11 defensive starters are returning.......is that a good thing......?

No offense, but if you are talking about the SFPA defense, that is NOT a good thing. As I said last year, I was on the Red Flash bandwagon. I wanted to see them do well and I thought that was their breakout year. The QB and WR tandem was, IMO, tops in the league.

Granted, I saw SFPA highlights vs. Justise, but you guys were awful. I know he was a NFL draft pick, but UA, Mon, and RMU at least could tackle him. IMO - the SFPA defense was very timid and slow.

I think a good D is more important than an offense. Look at UA over the past few years. Usually ranked #1 or 2 defense, with a rather limited, but effective run-offense. They were in competition for the title without a great QB or WRs. Fact is they can hold the score down and look to run the ball down your throat or take advantage of your errors. Its a plan that works much better than trying to outscore your opponents.

In some ways SFPA football was a lot like SHU hoops this year. The Pioneers tried to outscore their opponents and played no D. CCSU was a less effective offensive squad, but was able to control tempo and possessions with a league best D.

DetroitFlyer
July 24th, 2007, 08:35 AM
Saint Francis is my second favorite team after the Flyers. I think by any stretch, the Red Flash have the hardest time fielding a succesful FCS program of any team in the land. My brother is a proud grad of Saint Francis, so I am very familar with the school and campus. Beautiful setting, but not close to any city at all. Robert Morris, and Duquesne are both in the Pittsburgh metro area, while Saint Francis is truly a "country school". Saint Francis is not exactly known for it academic programs, so that is not really a significant recruiting tool. Of all schools in the NEC, I think the addition of scholarships helped Saint Francis the most! At least now they can offer a free education to a talented athlete or two. Unfortunately, 30 scholarships are usually spread around to many kids, so having a star or two might be common, while the rest of the team suffers.... I doubt that Saint Francis is at the 30 level anyway, so it is even harder to field a competitive team. Truth be told, with Duquesne adding scholarships, the difficulty for Saint Francis increases greatly....

I like the underdog, and I very much want to see the Red Flash succeed. I struggle to believe that they can ever be in contention every year, but with a bit of luck and some excellent coaching, a run every once in a while seems possible. You certainly have to admire their gumption...! Go Red Flash!!

downbythebeach
July 24th, 2007, 02:14 PM
I just graduated.....and I always thought it was funny when students complained how rural it is......you didn't notice the 10 minute windy country road when you drove up on your visit.
SFU, it seems, was a very good academic school a few decades ago, but the last president, in my opinion, sent everything downhill.
Another odd thing, is that the number of students that attend the school hasn't changed at all in the past 2 or 3 decades. We've been going 2,000 strong forever. The campus is quite beautiful (SFU owns more land than any other PA school) I'm from the Youngstown area, and it was nice to get away for a few years.

DetroitFlyer
July 24th, 2007, 02:22 PM
Just try driving to Loretto in a February snow storm.... Still, a great place to get an education and play football! I hope that Dayton is able to get the Red Flash back on our schedules. The last couple of times we played were not close, but Saint Francis has improved and Dayton has regressed a bit, might be a good game now! I would love to go and see a Flyers game at Saint Francis! I'll bet my brother would go with me as well, although I'm thinking he just might root for the home team in that match-up! By the way, one of the stars from last year's team on offense was from the high school my brother and I graduated from, Bethel Park, in Bethel Park, PA, ( South Hills of Pittsburgh ).

rmutv
July 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM
In some ways SFPA football was a lot like SHU hoops this year. The Pioneers tried to outscore their opponents and played no D. CCSU was a less effective offensive squad, but was able to control tempo and possessions with a league best D.

That's a good analogy.

FSN Pittsburgh broadcast the Robert Morris/SFPA game from Loretto in the Pittsburgh area, and watching the tape (after attending the game), I was reminded of how easily Robert Morris cut through the Red Flash defense. Comparing it to the Justise Hairston massacre was even more incredible.

Maybe after a year of adjusting and a chance to gel, a full cohesive unit will be better this year. But even a strong, cohesive unit cannot stop above average offenses if they are slow and lack fundamentals, and that was what plagued the Red Flash last year.

SBUFAN33
July 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
sorry monmouth fans but i thought we blew ya team off the map, but i guess not.

1. Central Connecticut
3. Robert Morris
4. Monmouth
5. Sacred Heart
6.Wagner - freshman full back is going to be a problem remember i told you this
7. St. Francis

Ruler 79
July 25th, 2007, 02:05 PM
My predictions:

Albany..Not a homer pick I promise.

D is best in NEC. Colin Disch will be the next NFL kid from UA. New Frosh RB Dobbins is a bigtime(FCS) prospect who slipped through the cracks WILL PLAY IMMEDIATLY. I was told he had offers from all the DII powers from PA as well as looks from Temple and Pitt. New BC lineman rounds out an already huge O line. New QB ...TBD????

CCSU

Good team coming back but will be less scary w/o superman from last year running the ball. Capable of beating anyone. Well West. Mich is a loss. It is a question of qb's health. Once a knee is injured and healed they are never the same. Needs to stay healthy.

Monmouth/RMC...Toss up

I think RMC takes 3rd. RMC has an underated D and could jump up and bite anyone as well. O needs work. Lets see that qb develope. Although I was not impressed by him at all. They may have better one on the bench. JW should not be afraid to go to him in need.

Monmouth lost arguably the best Sr. class in the history of the NEC. Those Monmouth teams of the last 3 years were just brutal to score on and Boland was great. A classic rebuilding year but they rebuild with kids from the red hot football bed of NJ. They get pounded by Maine and probably Delaware but I could see a 6 or 7 win season this year.

Wagner

Yes I said Wagner. Hameline will get back to 6 wins this year. They will smoke their OOC schedule and will lose to the NEC heavyweights. Could get by a game they should lose

I honestly think the rest of the NEC is killing time until the top 3 or 4 decide to leave for scholarship football.

rmutv
July 25th, 2007, 02:33 PM
I think RMC takes 3rd. RMC has an underated D and could jump up and bite anyone as well. O needs work. Lets see that qb develope. Although I was not impressed by him at all. They may have better one on the bench. JW should not be afraid to go to him in need.

It's RMU. It's been Robert Morris University since 2002.

RMC/Robert Morris College is a school out in Illinois that is an NAIA school.